• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Right and I would be absolutely thrilled if it played out that way, Duscae seems like a very fine starting point and I wouldn't mind spending hours there, but I guess for me I envisioned it, based on what I've heard as a sort of three-hour structure:

Act One: opening, Duscae, most of the sidequests and whatnot
Act Two: they move on, crazier environments, bosses, story picks up, gets more linear
Act Three: story gets very linear, huge bosses, final boss, finale/ending

I thought it was going to be that the first half of the game is mostly like Duscae but then gets more visually "fantasy" as it heads toward the finale.

This "three-act structure" statement is precisely what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned the poster here yesterday who said this is what they saw someone say on a stream but he couldn't confirm it was true. I'd love for it to be the case but I have doubts.

kurahador

So the game that was supposed to be a successor to Kingdom Hearts became Type-0's successor instead.

jDnXPBB.jpg

Boke1879

I'm telling yall. Stop getting bent out of shape over what you see when you know the play area is big as hell.

The more you keep prodding the more you're going to spoil yourselves. You're a week away, just experience it for yourself.

Tyaren

You mean Episode Duscae or did you get to play the game during some event? If the former, that's not the entire Duscae region, it's just this:
Rm8JkeY.jpg

Let me bring out my map again where I exactly drew in the explorable part of Duscae:

29608968324_2240dc4f66_o.jpg

It's an actually pretty small area compared to the rest. :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm telling yall. Stop getting bent out of shape over what you see when you know the play area is big as hell.

The more you keep prodding the more you're going to spoil yourselves. You're a week away, just experience it for yourself.

I'm curious if you spoiled yourself and you're trying to save us from doing the same. XD But either way, I hear ya.

Looking at the old clay map, maybe I'm going crazy, but maybe this isn't so far off?

cejh8lb.jpg

What I've circled in red seems to be the main landmass w/ Leide then Duscae then Cleigne w/ the big mountain. Then Altissia and surroundings and the leftover could easily be the western continent in the new map.

If you take what I put in red and reorient it, then put a bunch of ocean between Altissia and the rest.... doesn't it basically match up?

wmlk

The stuff that people are being doom and gloom about is a bit appalling. There's a lot of game here, even sparing a few potential surprises.

This "three-act structure" statement is precisely what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned the poster here yesterday who said this is what they saw someone say on a stream but he couldn't confirm it was true. I'd love for it to be the case but I have doubts.

No problem with Duscae on its own, but where this is a Final Fantasy game that has inspiration borrowed from Final Fantasy X and even Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Fellowship of the Ring, you expect it to get grander as it goes in both story and vision. Duscae is a fine starting point, but it has to escalate. My biggest worry is that the game is mostly there and then the climax comes out of nowhere and it ends. These worries are based on very little right now which is why I have more hope, but it would be like if say Fellowship of the Ring went from the Shire to Mordor. There's no build or middle-buffer.

Boke1879

The stuff that people are being doom and gloom about is a bit appalling. There's a lot of game here, even sparing a few potential surprises.

There is more than plenty. Just going off all the previews there is plenty to do. I know this is GAF and we're prone to freak out, but come on. Jason from Kotaku tweeted something out that implies he believes this game is going to do very well sales wise.

Now I'm going a bit further and I'm going to assume he also implies this game will review decently as well.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
No problem with Duscae on its own, but where this is a Final Fantasy game that has inspiration borrowed from Final Fantasy X and even Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Fellowship of the Ring, you expect it to get grander as it goes in both story and vision. Duscae is a fine starting point, but it has to escalate. My biggest worry is that the game is mostly there and then the climax comes out of nowhere and it ends. These worries are based on very little right now which is why I have more hope, but it would be like if say Fellowship of the Ring went from the Shire to Mordor. There's no build or middle-buffer.

Oh, yeah, I understand. That would indeed suck. Hopefully it's not the case! :D

There is more than plenty. Just going off all the previews there is plenty to do. I know this is GAF and we're prone to freak out, but come on. Jason from Kotaku tweeted something out that implies he believes this game is going to do very well sales wise.

Now I'm going a bit further and I'm going to assume he also implies this game will review decently as well.

NMS tho :p

I hope FFXV does well, just based off the recent demo which i enjoyed quite a bit.

Rock Ravatough...

...the end of Cleign is actually in the middle of your red circle, not the bigger mountain farther north.

I was going back and forth on this point -- So the bottom right peninsula in the clay map would be where Galdin is? That could make sense...

Then the NE quadrant of the clay map does indeed seem to be missing (unless it's been divided up and parceled out into various islands partially covered by clouds).

jb1234

This is my primary fear as well (aside from the combat sucking).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Huh, maybe I'm hearing this wrong but the game is fine and good...?

I can't tell how many posts are serious and how many are just overexaggerating to be funny lol

Gaf is in constant panic mode around new releases, bunch of "preordered cancelled, preorder restored, hype, it sucks" it's a vicious cycle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can''t see how this would be a particularly unpopular opinion. Old FF's were essentially a barren open world with entrances to linear towns, dungeons etc. Even the more open designed FFXII had an arguably linear design for it's open world.

Specially with the mentioned Xenoblade quest design style.

Thx, but no thx. I'll take my linear JRPG with cool dungeon design and optional branched content and areas.

Hyro

Banned
Was Versus XIII even planned to be open world? I thought Nomura just wanted to bring back the overworld map from retro FFs with roaming monsters. I don't recall it ever being planned to being an open world game like TW3 until Tabata got involved.

FuturusX

Unfortunately that was the biggest clusterfuck this year imo. I was rooting for the game too

I am hoping for the miracle patch, that restores the promises with a big dose of humility, perhaps we can get Sean to procedurally generate one...

Anyway back on topic, My Ultimate collection has shipped yaaaaahhooooo...I fucked the shipping up and opted for ground...eta 11/30. Booooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom