• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

petghost

Banned
I feel embarrassed how long it took me to realise that salty suite is a pun. OMFG.

it took me like 3 years too...

In the NRS community we use fuzzy guard to mean when you block a certain way anticipating a mixup and you switch from crouch to stand or the other way around to cover another option because it's slower than the first. So let's say a character has an overhead/low 50/50 where the overhead is much slower than the low. In a situation where you think this mixup is coming either as a guess or it's part of a canned string you'd fuzzy guard by blocking low at first since the low is faster and you'd switch to stand block in case they do the overhead while you're safe from the low since it's time to come has already passed. So very similar to the concept in 3D fighters.

this is weirding me out because im realizing that this term has 3 possible meanings depending on your scene.

In the NRS community we use fuzzy guard to mean when you block a certain way anticipating a mixup and you switch from crouch to stand or the other way around to cover another option because it's slower than the first. So let's say a character has an overhead/low 50/50 where the overhead is much slower than the low. In a situation where you think this mixup is coming either as a guess or it's part of a canned string you'd fuzzy guard by blocking low at first since the low is faster and you'd switch to stand block in case they do the overhead while you're safe from the low since it's time to come has already passed. So very similar to the concept in 3D fighters.
Sounds like you should call it delayed guard, or something.

Guilty Gear Xrd actually teaches you to block Ram's mixups using this method.

Dahbomb

That's probably the more authentic usage of the term.

For 2D fighters, people refer to fuzzy guard when you block something high and you are in block stun but even though you hold down/back after that, your character is still standing to block high. This allows some characters to do instant overheads by making a character first block high to initiate the stand guard animation and then go into an instant overhead. Since they are actually pressing down/back (even though their character is actually standing up) they get hit by the instant overhead.

Like shown here.

Spencer gets Vergil to block Amaterasu Cold Shot assist while standing. Then makes him block a high by doing a zip into a jump attack which the character blocks. After that the character is actually blocking low because it was recorded as such previously but Spencer hits the instant overhead because of the fuzzy guard state.

Thing is that fuzzy guarding actually exists in MVC3 or at least some top players claim that it exists and people use it to block left/right mix ups especially against Zero (in almost the exact method that was stated in the quoted post). So this just creates even more confusion.

Anne

Yeah, that's how we use the term "fuzzy blocking." At least, in my circle of friends. The term "fuzzy" in general means hiding another option behind a block animation based on timing. Fuzzy mashing is when you mash at a time where if you're in blockstun it won't come out, if they do a different string it will come out. Fuzzy jump is when they can do a string that is true or they leave a gap and you get a jump out instead, and so on.

As far as I understand it, the way "fuzzy" originated is that you do something is hidden behind blockstun or a block animation based on timing. It started in VF where you could time high/low guard to avoid certain mix ups based on string/situation.

Edit: "fuzzy" is a type of defensive OS hidden inside blockstun or a guard animation would be how I learned to use it.

so basically there are a bunch of different kinds of block option selects for different games and everyone just started just calling all of them fuzzy guard?

Shouta

so basically there are a bunch of different kinds of block option selects for different games and everyone just started just calling all of them fuzzy guard?

Pretty much. VF is the originator as far as I know but it's basically the same thing across games even if the actual technique is different.

Anne

Yeah. I think the only place I haven't really seen it is in SF stuff, they tend to name those things pretty specifically.

Marz

Man i love how much Valkenhayn footage is coming out.

Seems theres always tons of Valk, Relius, Azrael, and Ragna and hardly any other characters.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yo man, Cindi got heart folks. Got that pure heart warrior shit going on, got me tearing up
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

Fuck Vulva tho, dude's been avoiding me for centuries

Yo man, Cindi got heart folks. Got that pure heart warrior shit going on, got me tearing up
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

I was on the verge of quitting video games when I bought Ultra on a whim. Its depth and its community saved me from quitting video games. So I feel like I have a duty to the game to be all I can be. Even if it means losing 70 fights in a row against Vulva in one night.

I was on the verge of quitting video games when I bought Ultra on a whim. Its depth and its community saved me from quitting video games. So I feel like I have a duty to the game to be all I can be. Even if it means losing 70 fights in a row against Vulva in one night.

sounds like one of my japanese anime

If a jobber like Yams can continue with his chin up, so can you.

Mizerman

You have that true shonen protagonist essence.

Everyone knows Manga Avatars are superior, a true connoisseur doesn't need motion.
I haven't played fighting games in so long because of school. It feels like no one who plays anime is on my level anymore. So behind.

Manga avvies are superior but You're Under Arrest ova has amazing detail in its shots!

Yo I can't even take losing like that anymore. I get too irritated at myself.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

You should play Dark Souls.

If a jobber like Yams can continue with his chin up, so can you.

Go easy on me, I'm tender.

vulva

14.8% is better than 0.

Yeah but you've demonstrated consisted growth each time we've played which is really important at this stage in your play. I think once you get comfortable applying your knowledge of bread n butter combos and are able to comfortably translate them in to reactive and practical uses in a match you'll see some great results.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Great english Vulva.

Yeah but you've demonstrated consisted growth each time we've played which is really important at this stage in your play. I think once you get comfortable applying your knowledge of bread n butter combos and are able to comfortably translate them in to reactive and practical uses in a match you'll see some great results.

Look likes there's something else besides your trash talk that needs some help.

since we're on the subject of people misusing terms, could someone please tell me the difference between 'meta' and 'strategy'?

"meta" = about something, pertaining to something.
"metagame" = what others are doing about the game, or the sum total of widely available knowledge about how the game is supposed to be played.
"metagaming" = making decisions according to what others are doing outside the game.

"strategy" = general, high-level plan of action to achieve desired ends.

Strategy can be applied on many levels - playing the metagame to position yourself well within it, trying to find a new unknown thing that breaks it open rather than rotate cyclically in a wheel of counters, within a match to decide what stance to take (who's the aggressor, "I win at Range X, play to maintain that range", etc.)

Infinite

"meta" = about something, pertaining to something.
"metagame" = what others are doing about the game, or the sum total of widely available knowledge about how the game is supposed to be played.
"metagaming" = making decisions according to what others are doing outside the game.

"strategy" = general, high-level plan of action to achieve desired ends.

Strategy can be applied on many levels - playing the metagame to position yourself well within it, trying to find a new unknown thing that breaks it open rather than rotate cyclically in a wheel of counters, within a match to decide what stance to take (who's the aggressor, "I win at Range X, play to maintain that range", etc.)
My definition of metagame has always been "the game of playing the game"

I just love the reaction with Doa from certain sectors, so much misunderstanding.

How is there any misunderstanding?

I used to like DOA. DOA2U is one of GOAT Xbox games. But never did I ever tell myself it isn't a boob game. As someone who likes men, I can tell you straight up that the boys in DOA simply exist so it isn't labeled purely as "that fan service game". The men often look like a complete generation behind the women.

When DOA pays as much attention to the dudes' groins and there's as diverse body types as the women, there really is no misunderstanding. DOA2U has unlock able art where the girls' big boobies are in full display. There's even a theater mode so players can beat their dicks in peace, button free.

There is no misunderstanding over what DOA is, and I say this as (former) big Team Ninja fan.

You can like the game, but it really does scream "I read Playboy for the articles." The answer to DOA of "is it a fan service game or just a fun game with boobies?" is actually both.

pizzacat

Banned
I think I'll reserve serious judgment for KOF XIV until I hear impressions from Playstation Experience. That'll be the make or break point for a lot of people.
This. The games rumors character list is too good to care about the graphics tbh, just name some polygons geese and tizoc and I'm there

Anne

I find the Playboy comparison funny because they had well received articles, and DOA5U has a well received combat engine.

I also don't think there is a misunderstanding really, most people know DOA5U is a good fighting game that is propped up by 2000 lingerie DLC costumes and a pretty horny fanbase. Maybe when they go Playboy and ditch some of the lewdness that'll change.

Anne

Most everybody I've talked to knows at least, and I see it get praise a lot more than it doesn't. If people are misunderstanding it because of that image, I mean, time to change your image or live with it.

Some of the image probalems are left over from DOA4 and DOAX2 being the laughing stock of everybody for several years, so much so they tried to rebrand DOA5 with "I'm a Fighter" and Mila.

Maybe some people do misunderstand I guess, but I can't really blame them. Anecdotally I've run into a lot of people who praise it as a fighting game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
friends i need your assistance on this decision

i have 900 wii points left and would like an snk game

samsho2
LB2
FFS
RB1
WHP

what say you?

Skilletor

How is there any misunderstanding?

I used to like DOA. DOA2U is one of GOAT Xbox games. But never did I ever tell myself it isn't a boob game. As someone who likes men, I can tell you straight up that the boys in DOA simply exist so it isn't labeled purely as "that fan service game". The men often look like a complete generation behind the women.

When DOA pays as much attention to the dudes' groins and there's as diverse body types as the women, there really is no misunderstanding. DOA2U has unlock able art where the girls' big boobies are in full display. There's even a theater mode so players can beat their dicks in peace, button free.

There is no misunderstanding over what DOA is, and I say this as (former) big Team Ninja fan.

You can like the game, but it really does scream "I read Playboy for the articles." The answer to DOA of "is it a fan service game or just a fun game with boobies?" is actually both.

It's hilarious to me that you say what is the misunderstanding and then go on to show exactly what that is.

Kumubou

I find the Playboy comparison funny because they had well received articles, and DOA5U has a well received combat engine.

I also don't think there is a misunderstanding really, most people know DOA5U is a good fighting game that is propped up by 2000 lingerie DLC costumes and a pretty horny fanbase. Maybe when they go Playboy and ditch some of the lewdness that'll change.
The funniest part of that comparison to me is that Playboy saw a massive increase in traffic to their online site once they stopped publishing nude images on their site. Maybe it really would be for the best if the series toned down the lewdness a notch or three. Doubt that happens though as long as the easy otaku money keeps rolling in.

Marz

friends i need your assistance on this decision

i have 900 wii points left and would like an snk game

samsho2
LB2
FFS
RB1
WHP

what say you?

Samsho is the most playable out of those imo but last blade is something you absolutely must own if you dont already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom