• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

The only thing I'll say about commentary is that it should not be blaring over the speakers at the venue, arena or otherwise. If I was present at the venue, I do not want to hear any of it and just be a part of the loud crowd noise.

It was really awkward watching EVO at home with the commentary on screen and hearing it too in the background. Feels very unnatural and I'm pretty sure most players competing really hate it.

...Did you just say that this game, with the world renowned Yomi Counter™, is better than SFV?

Mostly as a joke, yes, but:

1. Fantasy Strike natively supports PS4 arcade sticks. SFV doesn't.
2. Fantasy Strike doesn't crash after 20 minutes if you have a WinTab device plugged in. SFV does (and has done since the first PC beta).
3. Fantasy Strike appears to be implementing a variety of game modes - arcade, a version of Hearthstone's arena mode, online ranked, what looks like an online casual mode, which seems to be a better package of content than SFV.

Again, this is obviously not better than SFV, it was just a joke.

If this had several million dollars behind it, though... the system has potential, even if it's a janky mess right now.

On the Yomi counter, it's actually not dissimilar from MK's throw system, with the exception of the damage and free super. You're immune to throws whilst neutral crouching in MK games, and you counter throws by remaining neutral in this game.

Calling it a Yomi counter is a bit silly, although as these are actually characters from Yomi, maybe it's a reference?

What's interesting about it is that it removes any complaints of "I teched that!" - to avoid throws, you literally just do nothing. So there's no execution requirement to evade throws.

I guess the idea is that you are vulnerable to absolutely any attack whilst attempting to use the counter, so it's "Yomi" in that regard as it requires a ballsy read.

Sirlin loves the concept of "yomi" so much he named his card game after it. It's one of his pillars of game design and it shows up in literally everything he touches

781024103357798727.png

NEO0MJ

Multiple Critical Arts? That are actually useful?

Some current characters could benefit from another CA, considering how little you see their current one being used. I feel the game needs some utility CA, as most use them just for that extra bit of damage when closing a round.

Pompadour

I'd like a 2 super stock mechanic and 2 V stock mechanic. I figure for 2 bars of super each character gets an armored move that launches/wall bounces/ground bounces and can be charged to guard break (like Xrd's Blitz Attack and you can't dash out of it like a Focus Attack). 2 stocks of V gauge give you a move like Vega, Nash, and Mika's V-Triggers whereas all characters will have a 3 stock power up V-Trigger like most of the VTs in the game.

I prefer this to selectable CAs and VTs because if the game lacks depth then selectable CAs/VTs doesn't solve that, it just increases the amount of characters in a sense.

I'd also allow characters to still do other V moves like V-Reversals while V-Trigger is active, it just uses that amount of the bar immediately. Also, there's no incentive to not cancel into VT so I'd half the time you get in VT if you cancel into it.

Tripon

On a serious suggestion, I would probably do a 4 bar super meter so you can potentially do 4 ex moves or make it harder to get super.

Make it a harder choice to save up meter.

If we still played board games I'd e interested in this.
But why?
I'm a chess player at heart - I love deterministic scenarios. For me, what is appealing about fighting games is absolutely not the mindgames aspect, but the speed. Chess is really slow, and I want extremely fast reactive chess with more variety. That's why I tend to play zoners - I want to create deterministic scenarios where I win 100% of the time if I am making the best and most safe decisions.

I don't think yomi is bad or anything, but my personal preferences steer toward games that minimize it in favor of execution determinism.

I'd like a 2 super stock mechanic and 2 V stock mechanic. I figure for 2 bars of super each character gets an armored move that launches/wall bounces/ground bounces and can be charged to guard break (like Xrd's Blitz Attack and you can't dash out of it like a Focus Attack). 2 stocks of V gauge give you a move like Vega, Nash, and Mika's V-Triggers whereas all characters will have a 3 stock power up V-Trigger like most of the VTs in the game.

I prefer this to selectable CAs and VTs because if the game lacks depth then selectable CAs/VTs doesn't solve that, it just increases the amount of characters in a sense.

I'd also allow characters to still do other V moves like V-Reversals while V-Trigger is active, it just uses that amount of the bar immediately. Also, there's no incentive to not cancel into VT so I'd half the time you get in VT if you cancel into it.
This is too much....

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm a chess player at heart - I love deterministic scenarios. For me, what is appealing about fighting games is absolutely not the mindgames aspect, but the speed. Chess is really slow, and I want extremely fast reactive chess with more variety. That's why I tend to play zoners - I want to create deterministic scenarios where I win 100% of the time if I am making the best and most safe decisions.

I don't think yomi is bad or anything, but my personal preferences steer toward games that minimize it in favor of execution determinism.
How do you feel about the exciting Chess 2:The Sequel, also made by Sirlin

Dahbomb

Seems like RTSes are more what you want. A ton of stuff in fighting games is too fast to react to which means guessing is a big part of any fighter (or yomi/educated guesses/reads whatever you want to label it). RTSes are fast enough and usually have enough variety while also having some execution requirement.

Anne

I like Yomi but I dislike how much emphasis is put on it by certain FG players and people like Silrin. At some point Sirlin should just make RPS 2 and call it a day.

On Fantasy Strike:

Thanks for recording those videos! I was wanting to see this in action.

After watching your videos, the game looks reaalllly rough, but it's in pre-alpha, so that's forgivable. I'm not too keen on so many of the special move animations being pretty much direct rips from other fighting games. It reminds me of how I first felt about Yatagarasu's special moves, but at least those weren't *completely* the same animations from other fighters. Maybe the animations will(hopefully) change with time.

Otherwise, I do like what I see. It's more advanced than Divekick, but not quite as advanced as Rising Thunder, which might be to the game's detriment. I think it wouldn't hurt the game to add crouching, I'm not sure if Sirlin thinks that adding crouching would *really* make his game harder, but maybe he doesn't want lows and overheads in his no execution fighting game. It also wouldn't hurt to add more normals. Three-five(including air normals) per character seems too little, but I guess it's really trying to be that "middle ground" type of fighting game.

I'll be interested in playing this when the game is further along in development. It's too rough for me to want to subscribe to Sirlin's Patreon right now. I do like the Yomi characters, so I'll be keeping an eye on the progress of Fantasy Strike.

EDIT: Also, is it sad that Punch Planet in it's pre-alpha looks better than Fantasy Strike does at it's pre-alpha? 'Cause, I'm thinking it might.

How do you feel about the exciting Chess 2:The Sequel, also made by Sirlin
An amazing shitshow, but I will always respect Sirlin for creating the phenomenon of anti-scrub mentality in the FGC.

Seems like RTSes are more what you want. A ton of stuff in fighting games is too fast to react to which means guessing is a big part of any fighter (or yomi/educated guesses/reads whatever you want to label it). RTSes are fast enough and usually have enough variety while also having some execution requirement.
That's part of why I like highly mobile characters with long-range normals like Sentinel, Dormammu, Nine, Mewtwo, and Painwheel. Mobility combined with range makes it possible to be proactive in your zoning in a lot of situations. My problems with RTSes:
1) My APM isn't nearly fast enough. I've tried and even when I get to medium levels of skilled play it feels more like a job than fun, like organizing paperwork.

2) RTSes have a "build up" portion that's really boring and unsatisfying, much like chess openings. I very much like how fighting games start you off in a high-intensity situation. It's also why I like Duelyst a lot - the high power levels mean every decision is potentially game-ending (I lost a match yesterday because I misplayed on turn 1!).

shaowebb

Ugh...my frikkin eyes. Just marathoned the last 2.5 episodes and their several dozen story chapters in Blaz Blue CF. But I finished the main story and FINALLY got closure! Waaaaaay to convoluted just for the sake of complexity but it had its moments. Gonna work my way eventually to hitting all the sub scenarios and gag reels out of the 100ish chapters of story.

Now though I've unlocked Susano'o and I can focus in the lab on learning folks properly for a bit. Really wanna learn Mai, but as always I'll play some of everyone and see what they got goin on. Izanami feels like she could be beast. Nine DEFINITELY is and Susano'o also felt boss as fuck. Great times await.

For now though...my eyes need a break. Several hours of subtitles on top of DAYS of marathoning this.

EDIT: Holy shit is everyone playing BBCF now? Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom