• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

FluxWaveZ

Ah, nice job though. Might check out some of the archive later. I'm actually the opposite compared to you. I'm fine at tourneys but online I play a little weird. Not nervous, but certainly different.

Also, I'm not surprised he still has grudges at Shabrys lol. I remember him thinking the match was 5-5, so he didn't really like it to begin with.

Wish I could be as calm playing at a tournament as I am online. Wasn't expecting nerves to hinder me so significantly, but they did. I'd like to say I'll do better with that next time, but dunno if there'll be a next time.

And yeah, according to LK, the S. Lab vs. Mitsuru match up is actually in Shadow Labrys' favor. I think that IK loss he suffered has affected him.

xCobalt

I don't know the full system yet nor the full F2P plan but I am assuming the worse. This is the first time Namco is trying something with Tekken. They had something in SC where weapons had different stats and that was broken as fuck. I can't imagine them putting this out and it being balanced from.the get go. SFxT was a mess, not exactly the best counter example.

Can't wait for 90% Welcome to USA son Phoenix Smasher.

I'm not familiar with SC but if weapons were really a problem, I'm sure Namco is smart enough to learn from their past mistakes. Gems were poorly implemented in SFxT but it didn't break the game. A lot of people claimed it was pay to win but that was never the case. I was able to consistently beat people who had auto block or auto tech gems even before the patch that nerfed them.

Rhapsody

Banned
Wish I could be as calm playing at a tournament as I am online. Wasn't expecting nerves to hinder me so significantly, but they did. I'd like to say I'll do better with that next time, but dunno if there'll be a next time.

And yeah, according to LK, the S. Lab vs. Mitsuru match up is actually in Shadow Labrys' favor. I think that IK loss he suffered has affected him.

Just watched it. Yeah... he sounds so salty lol

And that set was close. I think your neutral game's pretty good (from experience too), but I think too many rolls costed the match for you.
But yeah, looks like you could've definitely won it.

Dahbomb

8057a00c511c4a3e87c1476c8f2c36ee.jpg

This mutha fucker right here. I quit the game after he came out.

Dahbomb

god I remember gemini in HoN. That game was trash tier. I quit around the same time as well.
The engine was godly though which is why I put up with it for so long. But S2 didn't know how to balance heroes, neither for pro or pub level. Really though HoN was just a transitional game until DOTA 2 came out.

HoN is still better than LoL...

soakrates

I'm not sure what to make of the Tekken Revolution news. I just hope there's an option to play will all of the attribute-changing shit turned off. A F2P Tekken is appealing to me, but not if it's watered down with a bunch of pay-to-win crap.

EDIT: It sounds like they're going to add supers and EX moves. This could be pretty interesting, actually. I generally like how they work in SCV.

The engine was godly though which is why I put up with it for so long. But S2 didn't know how to balance heroes, neither for pro or pub level. Really though HoN was just a transitional game until DOTA 2 came out.

HoN is still better than LoL...

Idk if HoN > LoL. I think they're the same in my mind. Never really played LoL all that much. I didnt like the effects that HoN had since for me I would lose site of my character during team fights since it was so flashy.

The worse thing in that game was that stupid item that you magic armour reduction or w/e. That and midas and that dude on that was on the flying carpet. Mad stupid

Shouta

Is NWM being hosted at a school? There are a lot of round tables scattered throughout the area.

Highline Community College. It's in the union building there. It's a really nice venue and a smart choice IMO. Doesn't have the allure of a hotel but eh.

sleepykyo

Do you actually think stats will matter? If they're even similar to SFxT gems where attributes are only altered by 10-20%, it won't make a difference. At the end of the day, the better player will win, not whoever has the better gems/stats. Namco has been making fighting games long enough to know what will or will not make a game imbalanced.

It could. In SF another 50pts of health or 10pt more damage doesn't mean that much because players still have get in position. Think of how Zangief needs to walk an opponent to the corner, a little more health or a little more damage doesn't matter.

But Tekken is based a lot more on guesses/reads/psychology. Those little stats can mean one less guess that opponent needs and/or one more read that you need.

The thing with the new Tekken is, if there's a grinding option and a cash option to unlock something, it's not like people have much of a choice. Tekken players will be too busy with their jobs to use the grind option so they'll have to buy in.

alstein

The thing with the new Tekken is, if there's a grinding option and a cash option to unlock something, it's not like people have much of a choice. Tekken players will be too busy with their jobs to use the grind option so they'll have to buy in.

Nah, they'll just play TTT2 and call this game "not Tekken". It's not like a P2W will ever have any sort of tournament presence.

Nyoro SF

Do you actually think stats will matter? If they're even similar to SFxT gems where attributes are only altered by 10-20%, it won't make a difference. At the end of the day, the better player will win, not whoever has the better gems/stats. Namco has been making fighting games long enough to know what will or will not make a game imbalanced.

An imbalance is an imbalance.

Between two skilled players, 50 health might mean the difference between a win and a loss.

Nyoro SF

I'll at least give Tekken Revolution a chance if new characters can be unlocked without paying money.

I'd rather have them all at the start than to sit at the grindstone for hours unlocking them.

It was one of the primary things I disliked about SF4 in the beginning... I wanted to try out Seth, but I had to beat Arcade Mode with everyone in the entire cast before I could do it.

It is VERY STRANGE that people are advocating such an annoying system, all for the sake of free to play!

Village

I'd rather have them all at the start than to sit at the grindstone for hours unlocking them.

It was one of the primary things I disliked about SF4 in the beginning... I wanted to try out Seth, but I had to beat Arcade Mode with everyone in the entire cast before I could do it.

It is VERY STRANGE that people are advocating such an annoying system, all for the sake of free to play!

There isn't a strong argument against it really.

Malice215

I don't know why people are advocating for F2P when people want fighting games to be the exact opposite of this model. It wasn't that long ago when people were praising Namco at how much content they put into TTT2 for free, and now you want them to charge for it? Dafuq?

VF is practically being given away, so I don't see what's really going to change with F2P when the majority of people who are interested in fighting games have no interest in actually fighting other people and just want to dick around in story mode or scenario campaign. I just think people want to see the concept succeed when they have no interest in actually playing these games. SF aren't going to suddenly start playing DOA because it's free.

Hopefully it serves as a gateway, but I just see TR segregating the people who already had trouble getting into TTT2. And who knows, maybe it's an experiment for future plans, but what I would really love to see is for these games to do a better job at actually teaching players how to play them.

I don't know why people are advocating for F2P when people want fighting games to be the exact opposite of this model. It wasn't that long ago when people were praising Namco at how much content they put into TTT2 for free, and now you want them to charge for it? Dafuq?

Well as it turns out, TTT2 didn't have enough content so people started demanding more characters, costumes, story mode, tekken ball etc. It got to a point that people finally dropped the act and admitted that they would be fine to pay for more content in game.

Harada makes a good observation of this here.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/326590964540002304

Malice215

Well as it turns out, TTT2 didn't have enough content so people started demanding more characters, costumes, story mode, tekken ball etc. It got to a point that people finally dropped the act and admitted that they would be fine to pay for more content in game.

Harada makes a good observation of this here. :p

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/326590964540002304

That's because you can never satisfy fanboys who always want more no matter how much you give them since they have no interest in playing the game at a high level, so they need something like a scenario campaign to keep them happy.

AAK

Hopefully it serves as a gateway, but I just see TR segregating the people who already had trouble getting into TTT2. And who knows, maybe it's an experiment for future plans, but what I would really love to see is for these games to do a better job at actually teaching players how to play them.

Wow, very well said. This is how I'm personally feeling TBH as well.

VF is practically being given away, so I don't see what's really going to change with F2P when the majority of people who are interested in fighting games have no interest in actually fighting other people and just want to dick around in story mode or scenario campaign. I just think people want to see the concept succeed when they have no interest in actually playing these games. SF aren't going to suddenly start playing DOA because it's free.

That would require that the people making these games learn how to play them or fighting games in general.

Good luck with that.

Village

That's because you can never satisfy fanboys who always want more no matter how much you give them since they have no interest in playing the game at a high level, so they need something like a scenario campaign to keep them happy.

People who bought the game and would like a lot of content in it?

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure matchmaking is going to be segregated by player levels (experience) as well as skill level. There is no way a player who is like level 10 with a 70% win ratio should go up against a lvl1 player who is under 50%.

First few matches should gauge player skill level and match up accordingly. This is standard matchmaking 101. You avoid smurfing.

And please for fuck sakes there should be a steep penalty for rage quits. They should have their EXP go down for rage quits.

Dahbomb

Yea Tekken team knows how to play and balance. But their training and tips only really apply to people who are already familiar with the mechanics. You need full character and general tutorials inside the game... not some lame duck combo challenge. I say the same for Capcom fighters as well... as if someone is going to learn how to play Viper by doing her Mission modes.

Top Bottom