• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

casperOne

Yipes just announced the currently registered teams for Curly Mustache Battle Royal 2:

http://youtu.be/osHM10D9QIY

It could be just these teams and it's going to be absolutely bonkers. I can't imagine what more teams is going to bring.

So very very excited for this.

Dahbomb

I was looking at the Team California team and was like:

"FChamp" - Damn that's one god

"Justin Wong" - Damn that's two gods

"PRRog" - HOLY SHIT THIS TEAM IS STACKED!

"Marn" - .... Oh ok they needed a mascot to make it fair for the other teams

"Neo" - Nice stack

Dahbomb

Isn't Apologyman supposed to be going to NEC too?

Another weaker team due to cliques, like SF4 in Canada Cup.
I don't know what happened, FChamp was definitely saying he wanted Apologyman over Neo. He even said that Neo would be redundant on his team considering he himself already plays the same team but better.

Either Apologyman couldn't make it or some politics went in.

Dahbomb

I hope they clean up the scheduling this time around. Last time they did the scheduling was straight up butt cheeks.

And I expect a lot of 5-0s in this tournaments. Team California is looking super duper stacked.

Riposte

a fighting game with a foundation not meant to be competitive? So...Smash Bros?

What does a non-competitive Smash Bros look like? No matter what randomness they put into the game, it ultimately ends with winners and losers.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89489045]I'm betting it all on Cali.[/QUOTE]
Tempted to take this bet but team Cali is way too stacked to bet against. I mean it got Justin Marvelous Wong AND Filipino EVO Champ on it.

Hell even Marn is a big enough of a nut to make some crazy upsets especially if its going to be 1 game per player.

You brought up two points, one of which isn't even valid considering most of the people working on the new KI didn't work on the original KI games.

That's irrelevent everything that is in the new KI is based on original KI's terrible system. My you were too young to remember KI sucked and no one played it competively for a reason. The system does not lend itself to such play.

Tempted to take this bet but team Cali is way too stacked to bet against. I mean it got Justin Marvelous Wong AND Filipino EVO Champ on it.

Hell even Marn is a big enough of a nut to make some crazy upsets especially if its going to be 1 game per player.

bawk bawkbawk

Silky

Banned

Desperately trying to find that FChamp Dormammu shop

Dahbomb

That's irrelevent everything that is in the new KI is based on original KI's terrible system. My you were too young to remember KI sucked and no one played it competively for a reason. The system does not lend itself to such play.
The fuck is this too young crap? I was there for the original KI and I was there for KI2. I knew the games weren't that good even back then. That doesn't change the fact that the team is brand new and they have made various changes to the system along with adding new stuff.

And the old KI games were garbage because they had infinites and combos that couldn't be broken. They were badly designed games even outside the combo breakers.

Desperately trying to find that FChamp Dormammu shop
Zb07p.jpg

bet the cali team will then fuss about who did more work. The socal or norcal ppl. Also 3 norcal vs 2 socal. Obviously norcal is better

Dahbomb

It's not even guaranteed that Team Cali will win. IMO depending on who they pick for the 5th player on Team NY it's a very even battle. It's even because its going to be 1 game per player. ChrisG is likely to lose 1 game just as FChamp is just as Marn is.

That said I still think team Cali has the advantage. They have two of the best Wolverines on deck which means they will tear through players before they get settled in. They have FChamp and Neo on Mag + Doom meaning you know some player is going to get antsy, go in and then get hit by Missiles. Plus both of them using Phoenix and even she is difficult to deal with in a 1 game situation as most players usually wait a game before they go for their anti Phoenix tech. And of course Marn the wild card who basically has Zero and two godly XF anchors on deck.

It was pretty free for ChrisG last year because he had an in form Yipes on his team plus players like Justin and FChamp were split apart.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OP will be updated when I get time. Did some small fixes but anything that takes adding an entire event will have to wait.

Grad school applicationss are destroying my free time (and soul) at the moment.

OP will be updated when I get time. Did some small fixes but anything that takes adding an entire event will have to wait.

Grad school applicationss are destroying my free time (and soul) at the moment.

Eh just copy the same statement of purpose for all of them and just change names/classes. That's what I did

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eh just copy the same statement of purpose for all of them and just change names/classes. That's what I did
More dealing with different referee requests and stuff. I started applying late because I didn't know what I wanted to do but then it hit me and now it's the crunch.

Also it sucks ass when some schools want like a 1 page double spaced statement of intent and then other schools want like a 2 page single space. Inconsistency is what makes this shit a nightmare.

More dealing with different referee requests.

Also it sucks ass when some schools want like a 1 page double spaced statement of intent and then other schools want like a 2 page single space. Inconsistency is what makes this shit a nightmare.

ah yea. Almost all of mine were the same format and the same number of references

And the old KI games were garbage because they had infinites and combos that couldn't be broken. They were badly designed games even outside the combo breakers.

You're right that was the problem...LOL. Those were SOME of the many problems with the game. Also you keep saying "it's another developer" like it means it's going to better. It's being made by Double Helix, not only do they have zero fighting game design experience, they also are known for their craptacular line up of games.

I've seen the game, I've watched all of the in-depth character breakdowns. I know how the game works, I think it's going to suck and no one is going to want to play it. This game is going to be as dead as Andariel come the end of Act 1.

I feel like maybe my problem and why this keeps rubbing people the wrong way is I keep saying stuff as if YOU should feel the way I do. By all means, you're free to have whatever opinion you want on KI and you can give it all the chances you want. I feel like I've done sufficient enough research that I know how this game will turn out, bad. If your deductions lead you to a different conclusion, that's fine by me but my opinion will not change unless I see contradictory evidence when the game is released and played at high level.

Later tonight or tomorrow I'm going to PM Mark why I think KI is going to be bad. If Mark feels so inclined he can Quote it, bring it into FGCWeekly and talk about how wrong I am. I don't mind, whatever everyone's opinions, the game is what it is come launch.

Cain, I think your posts irritate people because they contain a lot of strong opinions, but not a lot of explanation or substantiation. Usually, this is called trolling.

Dahbomb

Cain, I think your posts irritate people because they contain a lot of strong opinions, but not a lot of explanation or substantiation. Usually, this is called trolling.
Pretty much yea. Even in the return post, the entire summation of his argument is "KI was ass, Double Helix is ass and thus KI will be ass".

I am not even a fan of KI, old or new. I just think people at times are being extremely unfair to the project as a whole. There are some legitimate fighting game expert designers on the team (there's a guy on there who worked on SF2) so you can't make the argument of "oh they got 0 fighting game experience". It's very difficult to have strong opinions about something you haven't played and basing all of your opinions on a decade all series.

It's like shitting on MK9 and calling it a non competitive game based on decade old MK games. That game lasted in the competitive scene for 3+ years, a solid performance to say the least.

Also Cain doesn't need to PM MarkMan, he can lay out the argument right here. It's not going to derail anything... in fact it would probably be the most on topic discussion in a long time. I honestly believe we should have a serious discussion on KI especially with it being close to release.

I don't have opinions without reason and if I don't feel like writing a paragraph explaining why I feel the way I do, I don't. I find it odd that, I could care less about other peoples opinions and don't ask them to explain why they feel the way they do yet people want me to explain mine? I don't ask any of you and if I did and you said "I don't really have time or care to explain" I would be fine because, after all, this isn't that important.

I much rather discuss things in person than on the internet as well. I literally had this conversation about KI with someone in person yesterday casually. It would take me forever to write out all my thoughts and explanations why I think the way I do about something. Even what I will send to MarkMan wont be a full breakdown.

Is it really so strange that I don't want to sit in front of my computer and type out paragraph after paragraph to prove to people I've never met that my opinions are founded? It's time consuming and I actually am very busy all the time and am rarely home. Most of the time I post it is from my cell phone on the go, while driving, in between small breaks between jobs at work.

If people think I'm trolling it's whatever but I do think that Smash Bros Melee is more of a fighting game than KI and is a better fighting game than KI free. I really don't think that's so much of a radical opinion but I guess it is.

i don't know if this was really talked about in the previous thread. Saw maybe one post on it, but for those that care, nyu media is interested in bringing unib to western market via pc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9P45nYUlxg. I don't really care much for it, but it could be interesting as long as that chick w/ those half screen sword normals isn't op anymore

I've been in DisneyLand this weekend. What did I miss? It felt weird to not to stream monster/get caught up in internet or launch drama and be among other parents.

alstein

So it's WA > 2 > 3 > RB > RB2 > Garou > Max. Impact > Max. Impact 2, right? Considering Max. Impact follows Garou canon than KOF canon.

I hated Wild Ambition, but I do remember that game is the reason why Geese doesn't fall from a tower and die in the first game. So with just that change, the Jin scroll stuff is still stable, right?

I believe it's It's AOF>AOF2>WA>2>3>RB>Garou>MI>MI2>Kizuna Encounter for the FF timeline.

As for KI, from what I've seen of the game, including in person- I just don't see the mainstream FGC being willing to spend $500 on a console to get it. I'm not saying that it won't do well outside of the FGC (I think how well it does is heavily tied to the Xbone), but I just don't see the Marvel/AE crowd going for it, and the anime,poverty, and 3D crowds definitely won't go for it.

I could see it making its way into the FGC Smash Bros. style, with Smash Bros treatment, but that's the only way. I expect it to be the FGC equivalent of the Divas match on wrestling cards.

Also the whole not listening to Mike Z on gameplay thing really makes me think they are clueless.

Top Bottom