• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Balphon

Samurai and Trainer are weak. Paine's Trainer is the best as it has good support abilities and Carrier Flurry is amazing. I've never found a reason to use Samurai outside of learning the self-buffs and using them with another Dressphere by way of Samurai's Honor.

Fireworks is probably the strongest physical attack in the game that isn't Cactling Gun. May even be better, since it's multi-target.

Finally beat FFX-2, how long is Last Mission about?

Took me like 4-5 hours total, but I got really lucky with Dig and had a level 80 Gun Mage by floor 15. It's a roguelike, so it may take you more or less time depending on how fortunate you are.

Atlantis

Fireworks is probably the strongest physical attack in the game that isn't Cactling Gun. May even be better, since it's multi-target.

Interesting. Not really a huge fan because of the cast time (kind of negates the mult-target advantage), but it might be fun with Samurai's Honor.

Levyne

Banned
Took me like 4-5 hours total, but I got really lucky with Dig and had a level 80 Gun Mage by floor 15. It's a roguelike, so it may take you more or less time depending on how fortunate you are.

Yeah, I had to restart once after floor 40. Probably inflated my time a bit.

Finalow

mh Psychic seems interesting.
an easy and fast way to win Standard Cup in the fiend arena? I actually have no idea which mobs and abilities are good for that.

Walking out to the save sphere doesn't reset your progress, IIRC. And you can save the first 12 people in one go anyway.
I see, not much of a problem then.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I just realized something amazing. After I took a bite out of the carrot that is FFX-2, I realized that I don't have to max out everything in the game. By the way, FFX-2 is soooooooooo good. The best ATB, it looks perfect on Vita, and the characters have emotions on their faces.
David Cage was right !!
Anyway, I realized, I don't need to grind Dark Yojimbo. I don't even need to max out all of my characters stats. I don't need to max out Luck or anything. I just need to finish the game and Sphere Grid. I just cut like 50 hours off my play time =P. I was going to max everyones stats and get everyone Ribbon equipment too.

Arthea

still not as bad as the Catcher Chocobo race.... Done it 1000+ times and still cannot get 0.00..

agreed on this point too, unfortunately. Inspite of how good game FFX is, it has some of worst sidequests ever created.
and their creators are sadistic evil entities
If they weren't only way to obtain celestial weapons, I'm almost sure nobody would bother to do those past first try (><)

Cornbread78

agreed on this point too, unfortunately. Inspite of how good game FFX is, it has some of worst sidequests ever created.
and their creators are sadistic evil entities
If they weren't only way to obtain celestial weapons, I'm almost sure nobody would bother to do those past first try (><)

Wait, does the lightning trophy automatically pop when you hit 200? I'm up to 250 now and not trophy pop!!!!

Cornbread78

Alright experts, for the butterfly mini-game to get the Mercury Sigil, do you have to do both butterfly games at the same time? Where is the treasure chest? I thought if you switched screens, it goes away? The guides are not very helpful with this one.

Ourobolus

Banned
Alright experts, for the butterfly mini-game to get the Mercury Sigil, do you have to do both butterfly games at the same time? Where is the treasure chest? I thought if you switched screens, it goes away? The guides are not very helpful with this one.

You have to do both, IIRC, but I don't think you have to do them one after the other (i.e., you can come back to do the other one). You have to stay on the screen after you hit all of the butterflies, though - which can be a pain for one of them where the last butterfly is right by the exit.

Cornbread78

You have to do both, IIRC, but I don't think you have to do them one after the other (i.e., you can come back to do the other one). You have to stay on the screen after you hit all of the butterflies, though - which can be a pain for one of them where the last butterfly is right by the exit.

ugghh, got ya. I think I found the issue, at the beginning, there is one behind you, so you have to go back, then forward..... time just runs out every time...

It's safe to say I friggen' hate the mini-games in this game....

Flandy

ugghh, got ya. I think I found the issue, at the beginning, there is one behind you, so you have to go back, then forward..... time just runs out every time...

It's safe to say I friggen' hate the mini-games in this game....

This isn't your first visit there, right? You have to do it once you get the
airship

Cornbread78

This isn't your first visit there, right? You have to do it once you get the
airship

No, I'm basically in post-game play with my save right before the "final boss." I did the one with the guy standing there, now I'm trying to do the one on the right side..

There's just barely enough of a margin for error that you can get away with hitting one single red butterfly and still get the prize, I've found.

Cornbread78

There's just barely enough of a margin for error that you can get away with hitting one single red butterfly and still get the prize, I've found.

well if the damn red ones didn't zig zag around the isle, I wouldn;t have a problem... I can;t find a pattern... I came really close last time.... I'll keep pluggin' I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do both side by side at teh same time..

In FFX, what's the best time to leave the story and start running around collecting everything? I can't remember if there is a natural break in the storyline right before the end or not.

Cornbread78

In FFX, what's the best time to leave the story and start running around collecting everything? I can't remember if there is a natural break in the storyline right before the end or not.

Not really, but if you want to make the final battle a breeze, just start hitting the road right after you get the airship and view the scene in Bevelle. pretty much everything needed is unlocked at that point.

Arthea

really? I literally finish them on last seconds without hitting any red butterfly and I left the one, where last one butterfly is near the exit, countless times. So frustrating, they did that on purpose, I can assure you!

edited: I missed one monkey from Kilika woods, searched everywhere, many times, can't find it :\

mstevens

My current record is 68. I've got enough of this bullshit.

I am seriously considering buying an Arduino and a few components in order to build a small robot that plays this for me.

Counting always screwed me up - My advice would be to set a timer for 18 minutes, or several smaller increments, and put a tv show on in the background. You'll get into a groove if you're using the crater trick.

My current record is 68. I've got enough of this bullshit.

I am seriously considering buying an Arduino and a few components in order to build a small robot that plays this for me.

I did this back in the day by just counting to 10 over and over. I didn't keep track of my overhaul progress, just focused on getting to 10 and then starting over again at 1. It kept me from getting too worked up and I got to 200 pretty quick.

Atlantis

After you defeat the final boss. Reload your save and backtrack.

Farm Geosgaeno for No Encounters first.

My advice is to pick up all of the optional aeons as soon as you get the airship; then go and visit "Sin" on the airship map for the first time. Get as far as the first boss battle within the final dungeon.

Once you've beaten that, you can either go finish the story for the first time (I advise this - it's basically the only chance you'll have at a decently challenging time with the final boss) or you can start obtaining ultimate weapons and capturing monsters and getting any Overdrives you're missing for Tidus, Auron, Wakka, and Kimahri.

Speaking of which - I kinda wish FFX had had a way to reward you for unlocking more Overdrive modes per character, or for unlocking more of Rikku's assorted Overdrives. The only character you're actually pressured to constantly use Overdrives with is Tidus.

mstevens

I'm playing FFX-2 for the first time... how much gil should I be trying to save up for end game? I've heard that you can make hard boss fights easier by bribing, and I'm currently buying stuff from O'aka and selling back to the bar to raise money. I want to make sure I get enough now in case O'aka decides to leave the ship soon.

Also: Can I stop doing PR / Marriage stuff once I reach 400 and 100 points respectively, or is there any benefit to keep going % or trophy wise?

Ambitious

Counting always screwed me up - My advice would be to set a timer for 18 minutes, or several smaller increments, and put a tv show on in the background. You'll get into a groove if you're using the crater trick.

I did this back in the day by just counting to 10 over and over. I didn't keep track of my overhaul progress, just focused on getting to 10 and then starting over again at 1. It kept me from getting too worked up and I got to 200 pretty quick.

Did it! I'm shaking.

Son Of D

I'm playing FFX-2 for the first time... how much gil should I be trying to save up for end game? I've heard that you can make hard boss fights easier by bribing, and I'm currently buying stuff from O'aka and selling back to the bar to raise money. I want to make sure I get enough now in case O'aka decides to leave the ship soon.

Also: Can I stop doing PR / Marriage stuff once I reach 400 and 100 points respectively, or is there any benefit to keep going % or trophy wise?

Gil becomes plentiful by end game, especially since you'll mostly be buying healing items as opposed to accessories. For the boss bribing, some of the optional ones require a million gil to bribe I believe, but there's an easy way to get that fairly late in the game (you can do the method earlier but you get access to Gillionaire late game which makes it 8 times faster).

As for PR / Marriage, you only need 400 / 100 respectively. If you want the Garment Grids from both companies in a single playthrough, you'll not only have to get 1 company to 800 (since switching company halves your PR score), you'll then have to switch to the other company and get 400 there. If you do want both Garment Grids just do a New Game + run with the other company, it's probably a lot easier.

Balphon

Gil is close to useless, since you can just use Congrats to bribe.

You can get both company-exclusive garment grids if you grind the PR stuff out carefully, but it really isn't worth the effort. As for the marriage quest, I think more than enough points will get you a slightly better reward, but won't matter for anything else.

mstevens

Gil becomes plentiful by end game, especially since you'll mostly be buying healing items as opposed to accessories. For the boss bribing, some of the optional ones require a million gil to bribe I believe, but there's an easy way to get that fairly late in the game (you can do the method earlier but you get access to Gillionaire late game which makes it 8 times faster).

As for PR / Marriage, you only need 400 / 100 respectively. If you want the Garment Grids from both companies in a single playthrough, you'll not only have to get 1 company to 800 (since switching company halves your PR score), you'll then have to switch to the other company and get 400 there. If you do want both Garment Grids just do a New Game + run with the other company, it's probably a lot easier.

Cool thanks for the reply. I think I'll skip the 2nd one since there isn't a trophy involved with Garment Grids and just call it good at 400.

Acid08

Banned
Ugh I'm feeling shitty about my Sphere Grid. I'm at the
Zanarkand ruins
and grinding a bit, getting tons of AP from each encounter. But I only have one lvl3 lock, one lvl4, and no warp spheres. Couple of my characters are stuck at dead ends and I don't know what to do. Specifically Yuna and Lulu are up against a wall.

Atlantis

Ugh I'm feeling shitty about my Sphere Grid. I'm at the
Zanarkand ruins
and grinding a bit, getting tons of AP from each encounter. But I only have one lvl3 lock, one lvl4, and no warp spheres. Couple of my characters are stuck at dead ends and I don't know what to do. Specifically Yuna and Lulu are up against a wall.

The Defender Z machina in the dome area can rarely drop level 3 keys and you can bribe level 4 keys from Chimera Brains back in the Calm Lands.

The end of each character's grid section is pretty much on track for the final boss, so you might want to save your grinding for later anyway.

Hm, started Last Mission last night and really hating it. On google I read that it is supposed to ask me to load a FFX-2 save to change the girls convos based on my save but it never let me load one. Also there is no tutorial at all, wtf.

Finalow

FFX-2
nvm, I actually didn't know that you could use YRP in the fiend arena.

anyway, at chapter 4 I had 60% instead of 63%-64% (I'm even using a fucking guide) so I guess I missed some stuff, fuck that 100% shit. the only thing I know I missed was a ribbon at the end of chapter 2 where you should kill like 10 bosses to get it, or so I read, and I'm not even sure if it's needed for 100%. oh, also a scene with a white-hair boy which didn't happen for some reason, and I was in the right place.

Son Of D

Cool thanks for the reply. I think I'll skip the 2nd one since there isn't a trophy involved with Garment Grids and just call it good at 400.

Yeah, it's best to just get one of the grids. Hopefully you chose Argent since the Garment Grid you can get from them is much better than the Open Air grid (you can get on fine without it though, since you can get one that's close enough to the effects anyway. Just not as effective).

Hobbun

I DID IT!

Never could do it on the PS2 version, and after 3 hours for the remaster, I FINALLY beat the chocobo race!

13 balloons - 0 birds :)

Balphon

anyway, at chapter 4 I had 60% instead of 63%-64% (I'm even using a fucking guide) so I guess I missed some stuff, fuck that 100% shit. the only thing I know I missed was a ribbon at the end of chapter 2 where you should kill like 10 bosses to get it, or so I read, and I'm not even sure if it's needed for 100%.

It isn't. For some reason all the guides seem to have copied the same convoluted method to get that Ribbon which requires you to fight those bosses a dozen times or so. If you actually move the platforms efficiently you only need to fight each of them once.

My advice is to pick up all of the optional aeons as soon as you get the airship; then go and visit "Sin" on the airship map for the first time. Get as far as the first boss battle within the final dungeon.

Once you've beaten that, you can either go finish the story for the first time (I advise this - it's basically the only chance you'll have at a decently challenging time with the final boss) or you can start obtaining ultimate weapons and capturing monsters and getting any Overdrives you're missing for Tidus, Auron, Wakka, and Kimahri.

Speaking of which - I kinda wish FFX had had a way to reward you for unlocking more Overdrive modes per character, or for unlocking more of Rikku's assorted Overdrives. The only character you're actually pressured to constantly use Overdrives with is Tidus.

Thanks, I'll probably end up taking this route.

Did it! I'm shaking.

Congrats!

Cornbread78

So random question on te % rate for FFX-2:

- Do you have to get all the items in a location to get the 100%?? I finished the prologue and Gagazet part again and it still states I'm only at 5%? The guides say I should be at 6%? WTF?

Saphirax

So random question on te % rate for FFX-2:

- Do you have to get all the items in a location to get the 100%?? I finished the prologue and Gagazet part again and it still states I'm only at 5%? The guides say I should be at 6%? WTF?

No, you must've missed something else.

Finalow

uhm, I'm in chapter 5 and I plan to just finish the game, I think I need to get some levels and AP so is there a good place for that? I use YRP and the levels are something like 33 - 39 - 35. I'm using Alchemist/WhiteMage, Psychic and Samurai. (best party besides Mascot team?) Alchemist would better if only stash wasn't so slow.

Top Bottom