• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Calcaneus

Still haven't played XIII, its looking pretty cheap now so I'll get it to catch up. I'll probably enjoy it with my expectations way in check.

This is looking better and better btw.

leadbelly said:
Yeah... it's interesting the subjective definement of 'fun'. Pressing one button while walking a path from cutscene to cutscene in the most brutally linear way, some people would define as 'fun'.
Yeah, that's totally what FFXIII was.

This is the oldest and silliest insult lobbed at the game, and I find it less amusing the more it's repeated.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
This is just a single segment of the game, though. It's way too early to start presuming anything about the overall cast based on a short trailer from one portion of the game.
Yeah, I realize I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'm hoping Kagari can shed some more light on this though.

Seda

Calcaneus said:
Still haven't played XII, its looking pretty cheap now so I'll get it to catch up. I'll probably enjoy it with my expectations way in check.

This is looking better and better btw.

nvm you edited

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fimbulvetr said:
Are his pants made of a tacky carpet?
They're made from Aladdin's Magic Carpet.

171165886_087b5738b1_m.jpg

Kagari said:
Podcast with impressions tonight.
Awesome. Looking forward to it.

leadbelly

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Yeah, that's totally what FFXIII was.

This is the oldest and silliest insult lobbed at the game, and I find it less amusing the more it's repeated.

lol

It was! That is LITERALLY what the game was. You make it sound like I just pulled that straight out of my ass.

leadbelly said:
lol

It was! That is LITERALLY what the game was. You make it sound like I just pulled that straight out of my ass.
Because any number of games, including most if not all of the Final Fantasy games, have this exact same issue. And even with XII, which you have more 'freedom' in, you're still just mashing X over and over. With some added menu-diving over and over and over and over and over again to switch Gambits. Gameplay!

You can say that about ANY game.

It's disappointing how similar this is to FFXIII.

X-2 was a very divisive game, but at least it had the balls to branch out from its predecessor and do something completely different.

If you somehow enjoyed XIII, it looks like you'll enjoy this. But for the rest of us? No thanks.

Daschysta

ZephyrFate said:
Because any number of games, including most if not all of the Final Fantasy games, have this exact same issue. And even with XII, which you have more 'freedom' in, you're still just mashing X over and over.

And yet in literal terms very rarely would it apply so aptly as to FFXIII....

Teknoman

I actually like the tribal character designs. Reminds me of a Yoshitaka Amano designed character minus the pale skin and random dragons.

Daschysta said:
And yet in literal terms very rarely would it apply so aptly as to FFXIII....
Not really. The battle system in XIII is pretty much better then any other FF. Autobattle is pretty much only there if you are stupid.

Teknoman

Kagari said:
Podcast with impressions tonight.

Posting it in this topic right? Now i'm in FF hype mode again lol.

Rahxephon91 said:
Not really. The battle system in XIII is pretty much better then any other FF. Autobattle is pretty much only there if you are stupid.

Whoa whoa...not better than X. That had the perfect mix of jobs, turn based combat, controlling ALL party members via switching, fast paced, and could use all summons.

X had the best battle system, and I really wish they improved on it more...especially since it was one of the few JRPGs that let you use every character in a battle.

Josh7289

This game doesn't look as accomplished as the original graphically, and the music isn't as good either (it sounds like a different composer to me). Overall I get the impression that this is a "cash-in", in that it looks less inspired in general.

But oh well, I'll still buy it and play it and it will be fun.

Aeana

Josh7289 said:
This game doesn't look as accomplished as the original graphically, and the music isn't as good either (it sounds like a different composer to me). Overall I get the impression that this is a cash-in. It looks less inspired in general.

It's the same composer. The song is so signature Hamauzu.

leadbelly

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Because any number of games, including most if not all of the Final Fantasy games, have this exact same issue. And even with XII, which you have more 'freedom' in, you're still just mashing X over and over.

Sort of. The thing about FFXIII's battle system though was it was pretty limited for a large part of the game. It was like one massive tutorial until you got to Gran Pulse. And most FF games don't lead you down one path for most of the game without any side-quests or towns to explore.

Khrno

BertramCooper said:
It's disappointing how similar this is to FFXIII.

X-2 was a very divisive game, but at least it had the balls to branch out from its predecessor and do something completely different.

Yeah, I thought exactly the same. Just looks like the same game but with a new story, what a usual sequel is without any gameplay changes.

I was expecting something more X-2, in a non-pop way. But well, although I didn't particularly like the linearity of XIII, I'm not against playing more of the same combat system in some new corridors.

I can get my doses of empty open spaces from FFXIV, so not a problem.

leadbelly said:
Sort of. The thing about FFXIII's battle system though was it was pretty limited for a large part of the game. It was like one massive tutorial until you got to Gran Pulse. And most FF games don't lead you down one path for most of the game without any side-quests or towns to explore.
This is true, but I would say that once it opens up the game becomes really, really fun. And you have a lot of different options and gameplay becomes strategic.

Seda said:
SE just needs to get rid of autobattle.

That would require them to change the whole system, since auto-battle is just a faster way of picking through the already massively simplified paradigms.

As much as a I dislike non-customizable AI, picking everything manually in XIII would have been a total bore due to the way Paradigms work.

leadbelly

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
This is true, but I would say that once it opens up the game becomes really, really fun. And you have a lot of different options and gameplay becomes strategic.

Yeah, but even then the side-quests seemed a little half-assed. It was more like, "go to this place and kill an enemy". Mission complete.

leadbelly said:
People say it's limited? Why because you don't have a full party? What a lame argument. The game is increcibly more fun with the two person party members. As you use there class to be as offensive as possible. Not auto battle and mashing X is not whats wrong with XIII's battle system. Whats wrong with it, is that it rewards pretty much just playing offensively.

And I find myself not even caring about exploration and towns anymore. I''m playing FFVI right now and most of the towns look the same and exploration is boring.

XTERC said:
This is awful, a FF game is announced and I don't care.
Cared enough to post. GOTCHA!

leadbelly said:
Yeah, but even then the side-quests seemed a little half-assed. It was more like, "go to this place and kill an enemy". Mission complete.
Isn't... that what you do with most of FFXII's Hunts?

Teknoman said:
Whoa whoa...not better than X. That had the perfect mix of jobs, turn based combat, controlling ALL party members via switching, fast paced, and could use all summons.

X had the best battle system, and I really wish they improved on it more...especially since it was one of the few JRPGs that let you use every character in a battle.

XIII and X are pretty different beasts, and it's tough to really compare them. For my money, X is one of the best possible turn based systems, but I'm not sure if you can make a perfect comparison between that and something like XIII.

XIII goes for a more fast paced battle system which focuses on macromanagement rather than micromanagement (although not as far as The Last Remnant goes in that regard). It's pretty different from X, which was focused around taking every individual move into account and constantly looking at the turn order in order to inform your decisions.

jackdoe

leadbelly said:
It was also limited in that for the most part, your level was regulated. Grinding is not really a part of the gameplay until Gran Pulse as it isn't necessary and requires you to jump through some massive hoops to do (as opposed to previous Final Fantasy's). Not to mention the fact that there is a rather low level cap that can't be expanded until you beat the game once. It was an extremely controlled experience.

ZephyrFate said:
It's pretty sad when it takes a game 20+ hours before it becomes fun.

Thoraxes

Josh7289 said:
This game doesn't look as accomplished as the original graphically, and the music isn't as good either (it sounds like a different composer to me). Overall I get the impression that this is a "cash-in", in that it looks less inspired in general.

The music actually doesn't sound finished yet. If you've listened to the XIII - PLUS album, you'd have heard the pre-production or "alpha" versions of a lot of the tracks. What I heard in the trailer sounds like the same pre-production soundbanks and samples Hamauzu uses in his works while he's creating them to get an overall vibe for the piece before putting it into post-production.

Keep in mind, the man is freelance now. His deadlines are a lot less strict, and he'll probably be fully finished with the OST around 3 months previous to launch, if my freelance experiences are of any application here.

Khrno

Teknoman said:

Mate, what does he care if you don't think XIII has the best job system, it's his opinion, don't go around trying to push your own opinion down other throats. There's better ways to word certain posts.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thoraxes said:
The music actually doesn't sound finished yet. If you've listened to the XIII - PLUS album, you'd have heard the pre-production or "alpha" versions of a lot of the tracks. What I heard in the trailer sounds like the same pre-production soundbanks and samples Hamauzu uses in his works while he's creating them to get an overall vibe for the piece before putting it into post-production.

Keep in mind, the man is freelance now. His deadlines are a lot less strict, and he'll probably be fully finished with the OST around 3 months previous to launch, if my freelance experiences are of any application here.
Yeah, I bet it'll sound amazing when he records with an orchestra. It was neat tracing the development of Blinded by Light's (and Defiers of Fate's) sound over the years.

I think I'm looking forward to the soundtrack way more than the actual game. :lol

Khrno said:
Mate, what does he care if you don't think XIII has the best job system, it's his opinion, don't go around trying to push your own opinion down other throats. There's better ways to word certain posts.
Hey Hey! Well let's be honest. My post was pretty much the bolded here. I mean you just shouldn't take anything I say about FF seriously.

leadbelly said:
No, because it deliberately locks features away for a large part of the game.
So what you are telling me is that it introduces new things as the game goes on, like every FF game?

Hell 12 hours into FFVI, I just got espers. Does that game suck now? Espers being like the main ability system. I mean sure, XIII is paced awkwardly, but I really never got why this argument was such a big deal. X and XII are about the only FFs I can think that introduce their mechanics at a reasonable rate.

leadbelly

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Isn't... that what you do with most of FFXII's Hunts?

I can remember there being some interesting side-missions within the towns and cities in past FF games. Also, I remember the chocobo breeding in FF7 that eventually got you the 'Knights of the Round' materia. They had more to those games than simply just killing something and moving on to same damn thing again.

leadbelly

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Hey Hey! Well let's be honest. My post was pretty much the bolded here.

So what you are telling me is that it introduces new things as the game goes on, like every FF game?

Hell 12 hours into FFVI, I just got espers. Does that game suck now?

No. I think in terms of the actual pacing of the game, it was far, far worse than any FF game I've ever experienced.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Rahxephon91 said:

Hell 12 hours into FFVI, I just got espers. Does that game suck now?
Let's not even go there. I think we all know the answer to that one.

Mau ®

I think its funny how FFXIII was such a huge game to show during conferences (both for MS and Sony) and none of them bothered to show the sequel in their conferences this year.

Pooya

http://www.finalfantasy13-2game.com/#!/uk/home/

updated

Noel
young man wielding two unique blades who appears before Serah.

Melee is this fighter's combat style of choice. His dual-wielding method demonstrates an expert technique, which includes combining his swords into one new weapon.

Although straightforward and cheerful, no one knows much about his past, or how he stumbled across Serah in her time of distress.

check it out!

Top Bottom