• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood due out on June 20, 2017

Arkeband

Banned
What is supposed to be the appeal of swimming and diving if it's completely separated from combat?

The only good thing about swimming is that it tears down more invisible barriers, which is one step closer to a seamless world, something most other MMO's strive toward (or launch as).

FF14 has a big problem with all of the original zones being dressed up boxes instead of feeling like actual locations. I still get confused figuring out where the fuck I am geographically, since you're teleported off to a different location when you run into either end of any area.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If I remember correctly..I quit after downing A2 savage which basically destroyed my group. We just knew we didn't have the time to do A1 too. Have completely ignored this game since then, which is rare for me as I keep tab on all mmos I'm on hiatus with until my inevitable return.

Have there been any drastic additions to the game since the first 3-4 months after Heavensward release? I don't mean raids, I remember Ark was coming..I mean like any other content a la Gold Saucer. Or is everyone just in autopilot for the next 6 months praying for this expac to revive the game?

Ogawa-san

What is supposed to be the appeal of swimming and diving if it's completely separated from combat?
It's just groundwork so the game can get everyone's favorite FF minigame:

Blitzball!

I bet it'll even get an open arena in Gold Saucer.

Hikami

Getting into FFXIV is one of the best things I did this year. So much fun.

Definitely gonna try to get the CE for this.

Allard

They showed in a video air pockets on the ocean floor, there could be caves as well without water, they are also adding NPC/hamlet like services with beast tribes, there is also no guarantee there won't be enemies in the water, just you can't do anything to hurt them (They already said there is death animations for people who die in water due to aggro). Gathering will also use underwater areas. Basically swimming and diving is just another way to elevate the world's exploration while trying to make the more frustrating elements that would normally have generated as minimal as possible.

If I remember correctly..I quit after downing A2 savage which basically destroyed my group. We just knew we didn't have the time to do A1 too. Have completely ignored this game since then, which is rare for me as I keep tab on all mmos I'm on hiatus with until my inevitable return.

Have there been any drastic additions to the game since the first 3-4 months after Heavensward release? I don't mean raids, I remember Ark was coming..I mean like any other content a la Gold Saucer. Or is everyone just in autopilot for the next 6 months praying for this expac to revive the game?

Its basically the same game with some additional new content that was added on top of the original patch cycle. Exploration Ventures which to be blunt was a complete misfire, they plan to have a heavily changed version of this added to 3.5 that is meant to be more focused and there will be new gathering content through it as well. They added Palace of the Dead which is completely separate from the games normal leveling and itemization system. Your mileage here will vary but it has a static based floor 101-200 that can get semi challenging for dungeon crawlers and can be done with just about any combination, you can level jobs starting from lvl 17 and can get ilvl 235 and 255 weapons from it so they have some relevance on the game beyond the novelty (can also get gil from selling random stuff dropped from 'loot'). They also added new system last patch where you do content in a book to try and get a weekly prize using a randomized bingo chart. Alexander A9-12 is much better balanced compared to the first 2 sets of savage so its more approachable. Everything else is basically the same. Heavensward Finale is great though and is reason enough imo to finish, some of the fights they added are also a lot of fun but if you don't want anything like how the old game played/bored of it I don't think beyond Palace of the Dead there is anything really new for you.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

More beach outfits and swimming poses for us all to take screenshots in.

ViciousDS

Banned
I need gaffers going to show me how to see use this game with the controller. I'm a huge keyboard and mouse player and I know it's viable to play with a controller but due to being a PC player first and foremost with Hot keys........ yeah.

Even when I was on the PS4 initially I was using a keyboard and mouse into the unit. But I have limited space now and exclusively console game with a controller.

Also.....is Gilgamesh still the go to server for population?

Also.....is Gilgamesh still the go to server for population?

Balmung has by far the highest population but it's almost impossible to get a character onto that server unless you create it on another server and pay $30 to transfer it to Balmung.

Gilgamesh is the second most populated, and it's possible to create a character on that server if you're quick right before or after a scheduled maintenance.

JudgeN

Why am I getting that same formula feeling? I'm get the expansion but I really want a shake up in the game design.

Sylas

Why am I getting that same formula feeling? I'm get the expansion but I really want a shake up in the game design.
You aren't getting it in all likelihood. Most MMOs (read: all of them) are very slow to iterate and if they do iterate on the core design it's very, very minute.

ViciousDS

Banned
They showed in a video air pockets on the ocean floor, there could be caves as well without water, they are also adding NPC/hamlet like services with beast tribes, there is also no guarantee there won't be enemies in the water, just you can't do anything to hurt them (They already said there is death animations for people who die in water due to aggro). Gathering will also use underwater areas. Basically swimming and diving is just another way to elevate the world's exploration while trying to make the more frustrating elements that would normally have generated as minimal as possible.

Its basically the same game with some additional new content that was added on top of the original patch cycle. Exploration Ventures which to be blunt was a complete misfire, they plan to have a heavily changed version of this added to 3.5 that is meant to be more focused and there will be new gathering content through it as well. They added Palace of the Dead which is completely separate from the games normal leveling and itemization system. Your mileage here will vary but it has a static based floor 101-200 that can get semi challenging for dungeon crawlers and can be done with just about any combination, you can level jobs starting from lvl 17 and can get ilvl 235 and 255 weapons from it so they have some relevance on the game beyond the novelty (can also get gil from selling random stuff dropped from 'loot'). They also added new system last patch where you do content in a book to try and get a weekly prize using a randomized bingo chart. Alexander A9-12 is much better balanced compared to the first 2 sets of savage so its more approachable. Everything else is basically the same. Heavensward Finale is great though and is reason enough imo to finish, some of the fights they added are also a lot of fun but if you don't want anything like how the old game played/bored of it I don't think beyond Palace of the Dead there is anything really new for you.

So it sounds like they fix the leveling alts by not just doing straight up dungeon running? Because that deep dungeon stuff with the Palace of the dead sounds pretty cool.....like it's own meta dungeon loot game but also giving rewards for your character ala xp and Gil for conpleting floors

They've been talking about doing some adjustments to the battle system for Stormblood, so you can look forward to that. I wouldn't expect it to become a substantially different game though; they're not exactly going to be pulling another 1.0 to 2.0.

So it sounds like they fix the leveling alts by just doing straight up dungeon running? Because that deep dungeon stuff with the Palace of the dead sounds pretty cool

Yeah, the Palace of the Dead is randomized and gives good experience with every 10 floors you complete, so it's a good way of leveling up secondary classes.

Allard

If you are worried about formula, don't get into MMO's, a successful MMO is one that gets new players and maintains old ones, as such most designers shy away from lots of change to their formula out of fear of upsetting long time players who enjoy it now, at best expect small changes or changes to existing systems or additional content types they will use to test the waters to see how the fanbase enjoys them, if they like it, they might see more in the future and less liked content gets side lined.

ReaperXL7

Is the CE statue supposed to be Exdeath?

I've been out of the game for awhile but Red Mage has a strong possibility of pulling me back in as long as it's not gimped and super convoluted to play. I like that the animations are really stylish.

Squishy3

The only good thing about swimming is that it tears down more invisible barriers, which is one step closer to a seamless world, something most other MMO's strive toward (or launch as).

FF14 has a big problem with all of the original zones being dressed up boxes instead of feeling like actual locations. I still get confused figuring out where the fuck I am geographically, since you're teleported off to a different location when you run into either end of any area.
If you think you zone consistency is bad now, let me show you the map for a zone from 1.0, which is also full of copypasted squares of the same layout, making it feel extremely lazy, in addition to making even less sense geographically.

ffxiv-maps-the-black-shroud.jpg

What you can't see is actually how much of a maze it is, with multitudes of walls and dead ends that you may not necessarily know that you're walking into.

You only have the two exits from Gridania into the Central Shroud, why is there nothing between Gridania and the North and East Shrouds? The city states in the game were all significantly cut off from the rest of the world.

Allard

Is the CE statue supposed to be Exdeath?

I've been out of the game for awhile but Red Mage has a strong possibility of pulling me back in as long as it's not gimped and super convoluted to play. I like that the animations are really stylish.

CE Statue is of the new Stormblood antagonist, the overseer of Ala Mhigo and son of the current emperor; Zenos Yae Galvus.

Riposte

Did they ever import FFXI's Lamias into FFXIV? I know they did with Medusa, who was the race's leader/boss.

SkyOdin

I wonder what the new end game town will be. Idyllshire was awesome, but I'm tired of sharing it with gobbies.
Ala Mhigo proper, perhaps? The main goal of the expansion will probably be trying to retake it from imperial rule.
Did they ever import FFXI's Lamias into FFXIV? I know they did with Medusa, who was the race's leader/boss.
Lamia similar to the XI ones have appeared as bioweapons created by the ancient Allagan empire, but they have had no real story role.

Ala Mhigo proper, perhaps? The main goal of the expansion will probably be trying to retake it from imperial rule.

Or Ala Mhigo is the Ishgard of the expansion and the end game town will be some sort of mustering ground at the edge of Imperial territory for our strike back at Garlemald.

I'm getting myself hyped.

Guess Who

Banned
They really need to implement jump potions in this game. You can't possibly expect new players to grind through hundreds of hours of content just to reach the new stuff people are actually running. The only arguments against it are from either entitled players who think new players should have to do all the same things they did for better or worse, or people who think it will result in tons of Bad Newbies in Duty Finder (as if the quality of DF players isn't abysmal as-is, and as if the primary reason isn't because FFXIV is really bad at teaching you how to play your job).

finalflame

Is now a good time to get "back" into the game? I played back during Vanilla but never got much past Lv. 30 on my main job, I believe. Or I had just gotten White Mage.

My issue is always not having anyone to play with :/

jorgeton

Is now a good time to get "back" into the game? I played back during Vanilla but never got much past Lv. 30 on my main job, I believe. Or I had just gotten White Mage.

My issue is always not having anyone to play with :/

Now is a great time. New patch out in a few weeks, so it'll be fairly active again. You don't really need anyone to play with since everything is matched.

They've said they are revamping the combat skill system, and rumors have been they are getting rid of separate classes and jobs. That's a pretty major change.,

Femto.

Color me interested.

Are there level boosters for this game? I quit FFXIV because I grew tired of the old questing/grinding formula to get to max level.

Atolm

No hints of a new progression system? Still need to grind weekly tomestones until a new tier is released?. Sorry but that's getting really old. Not interested even with RDM and SAM.

Alrus

I said I was done with FF XIV forever but I might come back for this, Red Mage looks sick and Ivalice raid is too tempting >.>

I really need to get back into this game and get to max level and see how the story unfolds. I think I stopped playing around level 57 in Heavensward. Hmmm, they're doing a free login campaign till January, maybe I should dive back in for that!

Haven't played the game since not long after Heavensward came out. But for Red Mage and Ivalice I am all in on this! Time to resub and work through the patch content I've missed.

Color me interested.

Are there level boosters for this game? I quit FFXIV because I grew tired of the old questing/grinding formula to get to max level.

They actually just recently discussed leveling potions coming to the game, however it seems they're still figuring it out for the western and japanese markets, so it won't make it for Stormblood's release(at least that's their current stance). The potions already exist in china and korea, they're split into 2 potions, one for getting a character to max level with some basic gear and the other to clear the story quests up to the current expansion start(so for example currently it'd clear all 2.0 content up to Heavensward).

So they'll most likely happen, but not right away.

Let's go!

Any place where I can find all the news from fan fest or is it still going?

Reddit generally. It's still running I believe until tomorrow, and access to the stream is private other than a part which was public so media isn't readily available for everything yet, once it's over I'm sure they'll have an official thread on their forums that details everything they revealed. There's still a fanfest coming in...february I think it was? So they're probably still keeping some stuff to reveal for that, including the 2nd class(it's more or less confirmed there won't be 3 new classes this time).

Rymuth

I'm no fan of preordering but this is an exception to the rule.

Gonna want that pre-loading so I can renew my sub and jump into this day 1.

Oh wait...there'll undoubtedly be a couple of MSQs added from here on out till June....oooooffff, what to do, what to do.

Top Bottom