• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finnish government implodes after nationalist party elects new far-right leader

benjipwns

Banned
Wow, shows how much attention I pay to Finland that I thought they still had a cordon sanitaire around them but they've been in the government for two years. But I guess forming one would have been impossible without them or SDP. (Or some weird combo with the Greens.)

edit:
Halla-aho was elected to the European Parliament in 2014. He was the second most popular candidate in the election with 80,772 votes.
Well, at least he's popular!

benjipwns

Banned
Maybe it's intentional, everyone will just send them to Brussels and then I dunno, build a wall around it or something.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
There is an incredibly worrying trend of EU countries sending these people to Brussels...

The EP is where parties send their most controversial/dangerous/scandal ridden politicians to live a happy and tranquil life without endangering their masters with their numbskullery. It's terrible. This is something that needs to change.

GCX

The Finns Party has just collapsed.

20 MPs announced they're leaving the party to form a new coalition ready to work with the government. That includes all of the current ministers, including the party founder Timo Soini.

Jamiaro

The Finns Party has just imploded.

About 20 MEPs announced they're leaving the party to form a new coalition ready to work with the government. That includes all of the current ministers, including the party founder Timo Soini.

This is good news! Halla-Aho and his goons deserve to fade away. There is no place for hatred and racism in Finland. Those narrow-minded fucks.

zoukka

What the fuck? Psychos like this are the reason we still can't feel safe in the world.

Oh well I guess it's just fine to contemplate the "euphoria" you might feel at blowing someone's brains out as long as he was sexually aggressive toward you first.

Sounds to me like this jackass was looking for an excuse.

Wat.

If someone sexually harasses me or anyone I know, I sure as would imagine him dead. Not defending this douche as a person, but you guys are being obtuse here.

Nordicus

The Finns Party has just imploded.

About 20 MEPs announced they're leaving the party to form a new coalition ready to work with the government. That includes all of the current ministers, including the party founder Timo Soini.
Wait what?

*MTV3 put up the news 13 minutes ago on their website*

Holy fuck. That's little over half their MPs

Tacitus_

http://www.ess.fi/uutiset/paijathame/art2377571
Mahdollisiin kristillisdemokraattien vaatimuksiin tasa-arvoisen avioliittolain aukaisemisesta tai alkoholilain muutoksista hän suhtautuu keskustelevalla otteella.

- Kokoomuksella on tasa-arvoisesta avioliittolaista selkeä kanta, mutta se ei tarkoita, etteikö asiasta voisi keskustella.

National Coalition party government member on possible demands by the Christian Democrats:
-We have a clear stance on marriage equality, but that doesn't mean that we can't talk about it.

What a clown show. Let's kick out the racists and join with the homophobes so we can stay in government.

DrSlek

I really wouldn't want to be in this country, if it was lead by a man with statements like this:
19059682_1825509087777407_1378313507972438938_n.jpg

Rough translation:
It's like I'm reading American Psycho again. This is seriously the kind of shit Patrick Bateman says and thinks in that book.

SmartBase

I don't regret moving back here but cretins like Halla-aho and his brain-dead base make it just a bit harder​ to feel welcome in my own damn country.

berzeli

Banned

20 MEPs announced they're leaving the party to form a new coalition ready to work with the government. That includes all of the current ministers, including the party founder Timo Soini.

Good on them.

Will be interesting to see if this will be just a parliamentary group or if they'll form their own party.

http://www.ess.fi/uutiset/paijathame/art2377571

National Coalition party government member on possible demands by the Christian Democrats:
-We have a clear stance on marriage equality, but that doesn't mean that we can't talk about it.

What a clown show. Let's kick out the racists and join with the homophobes so we can stay in government.

There is no fear of marriage equality going anywhere. The parliament hasn't changed even if the government does so if they had another vote it wouldn't go any different from the last time when it passed. The previous Finns already voted against it (except for the 3 defectors) and it didn't matter.

Dambrosi

Banned
I got really depressed when I heard about Halla-aho being elected. Disgusting person all around.

I don't regret moving back here but cretins like Halla-aho and his brain-dead base make it just a bit harder​ to feel welcome in my own damn country.
Well, it looks like you guys no longer have to worry about Halla-aho and his brain-deads, now that they've lost HALF THEIR MPS as their party destroys itself. Glorious.

If only the same would happen to the Tories in the UK...

Ruuppa

20 MPs announced they're leaving the party to form a new coalition ready to work with the government. That includes all of the current ministers, including the party founder Timo Soini.

Well this was an interesting turn.

Crisis averted, I guess.

Well, it looks like you guys no longer have to worry about Halla-aho and his brain-deads, now that they've lost HALF THEIR MPS as their party destroys itself. Glorious.

The worry is only over until the 2019 elections. The Finns got most of their votes from these immigrant haters. They will likely not rise all the way to 20% again, but they'll definitely go over 10% now.

It's not all doomed though, the Green party which is positioning itself as the opposition of far-right populism is also rising and likely to reach at least 15% if it doesn't fuck up spectacularly.

GCX

The worry is only over until the 2019 elections. The Finns got most of their votes from these immigrant haters. They will likely not rise all the way to 20% again, but they'll definitely go over 10% now.

It's not all doomed though, the Green party which is positioning itself as the opposition of far-right populism is also rising and likely to reach at least 15% if it doesn't fuck up spectacularly.
It's impossible to predict the future right now.

The MPs who jumped the ship will probably form a new party and take a lot of The Finns' votes. I also have hard time seeing The Finns reaching their previous popularity under Halla-aho who is the opposite of a charismatic leader. They also just lost almost all of their most popular MPs.

myco666

Not going to cheer just yet. Need to see how this situation develops.

GCX

The Prime Minister just proposed the government to be formed with the "New Alternative" coalition (aka the ex-Finns).

He was on his way to ask the president's permission to break the government but made an U-turn on the way there when the news broke.

L176

If the government allowes this shitshow to continue until 2019 Greens will the biggest party for sure. Pretty stupid for them to change their most successful party chair ever because of a party rule though.

Tacitus_

There is no fear of marriage equality going anywhere. The parliament hasn't changed even if the government does so if they had another vote it wouldn't go any different from the last time when it passed. The previous Finns already voted against it (except for the 3 defectors) and it didn't matter.

Yeah, it should be staying for good. It's just the principle of "we are open to discussing it" is shameful.

Koomaster

I really wouldn't want to be in this country, if it was lead by a man with statements like this:
19059682_1825509087777407_1378313507972438938_n.jpg

Rough translation:
Holy fuck! How are people like this allowed to show themselves in public let alone be elected to lead anything. I wouldn't even let this guy lead a dog on a leash.

Nordicus

Simon Elo, the current chair of the "New Alternative" group, says that for now, the size of the group is for now locked to the 20 MPs who were present in the founding meeting, so you can't simply join by publicly announcing it.

Edit:

The head of the Green Party thinks the creation of this group is mere powerplay rather than standing up to specific values, due to various people in New Alternative who have bad views on human rights and want Finland to be isolated from rest of the world.

Top Bottom