• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

~~Hasan~~

There are lots of ways to buy DRIVECLUB but my 'recommendation' would be the full Digital Edition from the PlayStation Store.

Just a bug ;) In-car dashes will reflect the time of day.

Lol I was joking as it isn't something serious but thanks for your reply and nice attention to details.

"Preorder it again"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
In one of these footages with the Maserati, I think I actually saw the lighting change as a huge cloud blocked out the sun.
In E3 demo you could see cloud shadows moving across the countryside. Harder to tell on this new track demo because most of the countryside vista is blocked by trees.

FirewalkR

Rushy, if you're gonna post full hd direct feed videos, while you're at it do feel free to not necessarily post the ones that are on facebook, but similar ones recorded in the comfort of the Evos office using the very latest build, and at whatever locked framerate you currently achieve. ;)

Socky

Everyone loves Magical Trevor
But that HUD that he made, isn't so clever
We wish that he would, tone down the HUD
A bit less HUD, would be very good

(I think Trevor and rushy already commented you can adjust that quite a lot. I quite like it)

I like the HUD - it's clear and easy to read at a glance, which is it's purpose. It does take up a lot of screen space, granted, but options to remove elements and/or play with transparency would fix that for most people. They've already said that it is removable (it's not clear if that means all or nothing or piece-meal though).

In one of these footages with the Maserati, I think I actually saw the lighting change as a huge cloud blocked out the sun.

This dynamic global illumination system combined with a dynamic weather system will do wonders on our screen.

(If they implement dynamic weather)

Dynamic weather is a possibility after launch apparently...

In E3 demo you could see cloud shadows moving across the countryside. Harder to tell on this new track demo because most of the countryside vista is blocked by trees.

... but the sun does move and this does affect the lighting as it passes behind clouds:

Is it my imagination or are we seeing the lighting going from clouded to full sunlight and back throughout the race? Watch 1:25> and you can see the car shadow go from partially to fully defined and track shadows becoming clearer. Is this the lighting being affected by the cloud cover, because it certainly looks like it?

Lighting is affected by cloud cover yes.

Krabardaf

Left the DC booth kinda unimpressed. Defintely good looking...but not so much.
Not sure if it's the motion blur + foliage combination, but it was oddly aliased for a 1080p game. Tv probably didn't help. 30FPS was harsh too.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not sure if it's the motion blur + foliage combination, but it was oddly aliased for a 1080p game. Tv probably didn't help. 30FPS was harsh too.

Do you reckon it's the best visuals you've seen for a driving game?

Problem l have is lack of any decent quality footage to judge for myself.

I hope to see that post the alpha build.

Krabardaf

Do you reckon it's the best visuals you've seen for a driving game?

Problem l have is lack of any decent quality footage to judge for myself.

I hope to see that post the alpha build.

Ingame and on consoles, most certainly. Although I did not have a close look at FM5.

Track is especially great looking, shaders and textures are noticeably better, but cars doesn't feel like a big improvement over what T10 or PD already achieved this gen. Sure you have little extras like reflection of the interior on the windshield, but when you are actually driving, it doesn't feel much different from what we already know.
I guess the shading and cars models will truly shine in photo mode.

What I know is a better IQ would be more than welcome. It's a bit frustrating that this part isn't top notch in a next gen 30FPS driving game. I think the fast moving dynamic shadows at 30FPS and the artifact heavy motion blur are the main offenders here. Then again, I know I'm kinda sensible to aliasing and artifacts.

Also sky is bleh. Procedural clouds are pretty lame, they looks like some basic perlin noise, and doesn't even look volumetric. Moving shadows are nice of course, but once again, when you are lauched at 200kmh, it's the last of your concerns.

thuway

Thanks for the impressions. Can you be specific? The team should get feedback from people because a lot is riding on this game's success.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Rushy, as others on here have said you should give the 1080p version to Blim and get it onto gamersyde uncompressed :)

While I certainly appreciate the support, I'm sure Rushy is aware that we exist and like many other developers would love nothing more than give us super high quality stuff. But there are many consequences to giving any site exclusive stuff (be it content or quality) that the publisher side of stuff has to deal with before such things can happen.
Hopefully they will simply release a HQ video through the usual PR channels, and we'll post it untouched. That's about the best we can hope will happen.

Mokubba

that's it, going to upgrade to a full version even though I have PS+

yup, buy the whole tracks/cars digitally

I think the PS+ version is quite enticing. No need to swap games in the disc drive, and it looks like Driveclub will be extensively supported with post launch DLC.
When do you guys think they will release the price for the upgrade?

I have the full version preordered since it comes with a pre-order bonus, the full game and 50% off a one year ps+ sub. That essentially makes it a £20 game if it costs £40 at launch.

it's now sounding like the upgrade will be a bit cheaper

Foshy

4bcQ7.png

https://twitter.com/LogitechG/status/371801624252928000

That smile at the end seems promising.

If you've got some time to spare, tweet @Logitech, @LogitechUK and @LogitechG asking about PS4 wheel support; the more requests they get the better.

Atruvius

This game has one of the worst chase-cam angles I have ever seen. It's so low that it's almost unusable.

fWYDNjt.jpg

That's like the chase cam from Burnout Paradise. I had to play that game with my index finger on the right stick to keep the camera up so I could actually see what was happening in front of me.

Hope they fix that.

Ashes

Banned
It's like they're trying to emphasize the car over the actual track ahead. Which is fine for post race replays and what not, but should be pulled back for actual races.

Socky

I have the full version preordered since it comes with a pre-order bonus, the full game and 50% off a one year ps+ sub. That essentially makes it a £20 game if it costs £40 at launch.

I keep seeing this posted but I haven't seen it anywhere in the wild. I'm in the UK - which countries/retailers are people seeing this offer? It sounds like a great deal, I hope I can take advantage of it.

That's like the chase cam from Burnout Paradise. I had to play that game with my index finger on the right stick to keep the camera up so I could actually see what was happening in front of me.

Hope they fix that.

THIS!

Did they ever bother to fix it in a patch? It made Burnout Paradise nearly unplayable for me. I was constantly trying to figure something out that could automatically keep the right stick up a little.

velociraptor

They really need to sort out the UI, it is fucking horrendous.

Sony made the right call and not attaching the GT name to this game, dodged a bullet there.

Still looks good though.
Haha, I actually thought about that last night. No disrespect to Evolution Studios though. Not a fan of the UI other. Would prefer something minimalistic.

orioto

Good Art™
Each time i see this thread and still no worthy capture on the net ? This is crazy lol... For a console that is meant to allow sharing for everyone.. Devs cannot make good vids of their own games..

THIS!

Did they ever bother to fix it in a patch? It made Burnout Paradise nearly unplayable for me. I was constantly trying to figure something out that could automatically keep the right stick up a little.

I'm not necessarily saying it looks in the correct position but that screenshot is rather unforgiving. I suggest watching the video of where that screenshot was taken - you can see the chase cam changing elevation and it lifts up quite a lot depending on what part of the track you are on.

Nevertheless Rushy has said in here that they are still tweaking it, amongst other things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Each time i see this thread and still no worthy capture on the net ? This is crazy lol... For a console that is meant to allow sharing for everyone.. Devs cannot make good vids of their own games..

They've explained this multiple times. Evo have a facebook account and they are sharing footage. Youtube footage has to go through Sony marketing (not sure why) and that is taking some time. TBH Sony youtube channel doesn't have a ton of stuff up from gamescom - I'd have expected coverage of all announced games (and on PSN too)

They've done a pretty bad job of marketing PS4 to existing PS3 owners really. downloadable 1080p videos from PSN would be great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They've explained this multiple times. Evo have a facebook account and they are sharing footage. Youtube footage has to go through Sony marketing (not sure why) and that is taking some time. TBH Sony youtube channel doesn't have a ton of stuff up from gamescom - I'd have expected coverage of all announced games (and on PSN too)

They've done a pretty bad job of marketing PS4 to existing PS3 owners really. downloadable 1080p videos from PSN would be great.

Playstation isn't their only channel though. They have like 4 or 5 channels which videos spread out on.

Socky

It is a little amazing that the perception of both KSF and DC have both sky-rocketed due to two sets of unofficial videos. That signifies a minor mis-step to me. I wonder why it wasn't more controlled than this?

It is a little amazing that the perception of both KSF and DC have both sky-rocketed due to two sets of unofficial videos. That signifies a minor mis-step to me. I wonder why it wasn't more controlled than this?

I also thought you would never have such an amateur and god-awful cameraman/director shooting Sony's Gamescom presentation but I was wrong...

Mokubba

I keep seeing this posted but I haven't seen it anywhere in the wild. I'm in the UK - which countries/retailers are people seeing this offer? It sounds like a great deal, I hope I can take advantage of it.
They mentioned it at the Gamescom conference. I think people just forgot since there were 3 PS+ deals mentioned.

I think this might be the route to go if you definitely want the game.

Wonder if I'll be able to use that voucher from a Swiss retail version of the game to buy a UK PS+ at 50%?

I think it will come in one of those purple slips like online passes.

So if you're in a PAL region it should work. Don't quote me on it though.

Yeah I've heard the explanation too - but it just makes so little sense. Like every other direct feed video ever is up on youtube day and date with it's release, I can't seem to understand why Driveclub is having so much trouble.

Loving these videos, just wish I could see them in the resolution that the PS4 can actually display the game in.

Socky

Today is a holiday in the UK, so there isn't likely to be people in to sort out the videos until at least tomorrow.

I'm more interested in seeing good quality video at 1080p than the night video at this point. It's amazing how much the impression of DC has changed with such relatively poor quality video to go on.

darkwing

Today is a holiday in the UK, so there isn't likely to be people in to sort out the videos until at least tomorrow.

I'm more interested in seeing good quality video at 1080p than the night video at this point. It's amazing how much the impression of DC has changed with such relatively poor quality video to go on.

yup, was expecting the night video tomorrow too

Dory

Banned
Sorry guys but Driveclub isn't that impressive for a first party title that is supposed to run on supremely superior hardware. To be fair to Evolution, I have no doubt that they are doing their best but Sony gave the imprssion during their reveal that on the PS4 "there are no more limitations. The only limitation is your imagination", and I'm quoting the guy from Quantic Dream who gave the dark sorcerer/skin shader demo. Then Evolution shows up at E3 with a build that looked like middle of the current gen footage. and now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate. When did the expectations fall so low? People leaving their jaws on the floor because of a dashboard reflection? with 1.8 TFLOPS? Sony and Evolution will have to do much more that to live up to their own claims now that Microsoft is no longer pointing guns at itself and handing the trigger to internet die hards.

Sorry guys but Driveclub isn't that impressive for a first party title that is supposed to run on supremely superior hardware. To be fair to Evolution, I have no doubt that they are doing their best but Sony gave the imprssion during their reveal that on the PS4 "there are no more limitations. The only limitation is your imagination", and I'm quoting the guy from Quantic Dream who gave the dark sorcerer/skin shader demo. Then Evolution shows up at E3 with a build that looked like middle of the current gen footage. and now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate. When did the expectations fall so low? People leaving their jaws on the floor because of a dashboard reflection? with 1.8 TFLOPS? Sony and Evolution will have to do much more that to live up to their own claims now that Microsoft is no longer pointing guns at itself and handing the trigger to internet die hards.
Sorry guy but
No.
No.
No.

Half the framerate yes, but
Much, MUCH, more detailed environments
Better lighting
Dynamic lighting system vs baked lighting
Day/night cycles vs no day/night cycles

But please, do show me a "middle of the current gen footage" that looks like DC.

orioto

Good Art™

I would have think the same, and i still think sony first party wanked too much with ambitious techs and didn't try to go for the efficient eye candy. But actually the game is lookig very nice now and i'm pretty sure people will see the difference with the dynamic light. Sony has to put the emphasis on unlimited variation of light etc.. This is impressive really.

I have 3 gifs:

6Lz8.gif

9Ma9.gif

0Cn1.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Boy this game sure came a huge way since that 35% build. Man, I sure am shocked that is the case ;)

But seriously, now this is what I'm talking about. This game looked extremely tight in that offscreen footage I saw from Gamersyde. That environmental detail and the various visual effects Evolution already has in play is insane.

Dory said:
Then Evolution shows up at E3 with a build that looked like middle of the current gen footage. and now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate

Do you really want people to list the billion things DriveClub is doing that Forza 5 is not? That said, I personally prefer 60fps to all of that, so I'd still say Forza 5 wins.

But Forza and DriveClub could not be two less alike racing games (well unless one of them was Mario Kart I guess), so... kinda pointless to even compare.

EmptySpace thinks Dory speaks in whale-tongue. EmptySpace can not understand whales.

I need to see this in real life. I checked out the youtube clip but it's 720p 30fps. It looks no better than NFSMW and the lighting looks worse. I know it's just the compression so I'll of course reserve judgement.

Edit: Wait, I just realized the game is 720p/30fps. Well, I'm still sure it looks much better in person.

Dory

Banned
Sorry guy but
No.
No.
No.

Better lighting

But please, do show me a "middle of the current gen footage" that looks like DC.

I was clearly referring to DC's E3 showing which we both now everybody prefers not to mention anymore. I'm surprised you wanna go there.

Dory

Banned
Boy this game sure came a huge way since that 35% build. Man, I sure am shocked that is the case ;)

But seriously, now this is what I'm talking about. This game looked extremely tight in that offscreen footage I saw from Gamersyde. That environmental detail and the various visual effects Evolution already has in play is insane.

Do you really want people to list the billion things DriveClub is doing that Forza 5 is not? That said, I personally prefer 60fps to all of that, so I'd still say Forza 5 wins.

But Forza and DriveClub could not be two less alike racing games (well unless one of them was Mario Kart I guess), so... kinda pointless to even compare.

If we have to rely on that kind of hyperbole to create a distinction, there is a possibility that the facts are not collaborating fully.

Sorry guy but
No.
No.
No.

Better lighting

Debatable environment, lighting, lighting, lighting.

I love how Microsoft fans are coming out of nowhere to make single FUD posts.

Theecliff

Banned
I need to see this in real life. I checked out the youtube clip but it's 720p 30fps. It looks no better than NFSMW and the lighting looks worse. I know it's just the compression so I'll of course reserve judgement.

Edit: Wait, I just realized the game is 720p/30fps. Well, I'm still sure it looks much better in person.

The game is 1080p/30fps, not 720p. The developers have said that they're trying to get 1080p direct feed footage sorted out soon.

I was clearly referring to DC's E3 showing which we both now everybody prefers not to mention anymore. I'm surprised you wanna go there.
Your comment 'and now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate' suggests you were talking about the Gamescom build, not the E3 build. If you were referring to the E3 footage, no one was drooling over it - in fact that footage led to Driveclub getting shunned on this site for several months.

J2 Cool

Am I the only one bothered by the hands twitchiness inside the car? Nobody drives like that. So distracting (coming from someone who rarely buys racing games).

demolitio

So they're only as good as the weakest build they've shown early on? No wonder why The Order was afraid to show too much WIP footage to the public...

Why would we mention an old build if they've moved on and we're interested as to where it is now? Do people mention the BF4 alpha that didn't have textured buildings or did they move on realizing that game is further in development now?

I'm by no means a defender on this game and I'm quite skeptical on some things myself, but you're honestly saying we should still judge this game solely on their bad E3 showing and STILL be talking about it instead of recent footage? Even then, care to still answer which current gen racers made DriveClub's E3 build just look like average current gen graphics? And people aren't just drooling over reflections (which actually are quite impressive) but I guess breaking it down to one point makes it easier for the hyperbole.

You mention hyperbole to others while partaking in it yourself. If you don't find it impressive, that's fine, but plenty of people do so what is the point to using the E3 build to criticize Evo and fans for even liking it and then assuming that more powerful hardware means that every single exclusive HAS to look leaps and bounds better than the competitors at launch when even someone like Cerny admits that it will take a few years to truly show the advantages just like every other generation?

So what exactly is impressive to you so far from the next-gen offerings and what current racing games made DC at E3 look so bad in direct comparison? What has wowed you and why do you expect every single Sony game to look better as if it's a guarantee with better specs? Forza 5 is impressive in its own ways and disappointing in its own ways too. In the end, it's a matter of preference and it shouldn't matter what the console wars have to say about it because gaming used to be about pure entertainment instead of undying loyalties to companies. If the game is anything like PGR, then I'm sure it will be a big hit regardless. Killzone is looking pretty good though, right?

The game is 1080p/30fps, not 720p. The developers have said that they're trying to get 1080p direct feed footage sorted out soon.

Your comment 'and now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate' suggests you were talking about the Gamescom build, not the E3 build. If you were referring to the E3 footage, no one was drooling over it - in fact that footage led to Driveclub getting shunned on this site for several months.

See? No one denies the E3 build was underwhelming but you expect us to still be complaining about that instead of talking about the latest builds? It looks A LOT better now and has a lot of great tech at work that of course people would admire. Does it mean everyone is happy and are drooling over it just because it's a PS4 game? Hell no. Are we seeing major improvements and are excited to talk about what's changed and what it does best and what it needs work on? Of course, that's the nature of a pre-release thread, but no one is going to constantly bring up the E3 build just to remind everyone of something we already saw. Some of us just want a good fucking racing game and not another battlefield in the almighty console wars...

Top Bottom