• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Vita remote-play to be a proper feature, Sony needs to implement button mapping.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Having any button mapped to the back panel makes a game completely unplayable for me. I don't know how anyone manages it. I am constantly pressing the button by accident by simply holding the Vita.

How does it even work thus far? I wouldn't mind playing some manager mode of FIFA on the couch since the PS4 is in the other room.
FIFA has R2/L2 on the back touch. It's awful in my experience, good luck sprinting. There was also more artifacting in the video than I expected.

Curufinwe

Yes, so long as it's not a videogame. I've ordered books and DVDs from them before.

where do you buy these at? Amazon has had them listed as "unavailable" for a long time now.

It's sad, but they've been sold out there for a long time. I got mine early this year before they went away.

Geedorah

defeats the purpose of portability. Just play your PS4.

Huh?? How?! To carry a single controller isn't at all the same as carrying a PS4, a suitable power source, etc.

I carry a DS3 around to sync with my tablet for gaming, and I think a lot of people would agree that the benifits of proper controls out weigh the loss of "portability" (if you can even consider it that, it is all wireless!!!)

Maedhros

Having any button mapped to the back panel makes a game completely unplayable for me. I don't know how anyone manages it. I am constantly pressing the button by accident by simply holding the Vita.

Different people hold the Vita differently. Also grips.

injurai

Banned
It's up to the devs to map them so they're comfortable. AC4 devs actually took time and tested it out, they mapped L3/R3 to the touchscreen and L2/R2 to the shoulder buttons on Vita.

Obviously being able to map them yourself would also be nice.

That's actually pretty neat that the devs can do that. But It seems like an unnecessary amount of (guess)work for them when we should be able to map them to fit ourselves.

I didn't know about the PSP emulator already offering this, so hopefully that means Sony is aware of the concept of button mapping. It's entirely in their own interests if they want any sort of word of mouth to sell this feature. I'd imagine it would mobilize a lot of Vita sales if people realized how awesome it is.

It seems an alarming amount of people share my sentiments, so hopefully Sony clues into the issues surrounding one of their prime next-gen features.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why not just let us pair the DS4 with it?

I wouldn't mind sitting it in a cradle to play.

I'd rather actually be holding the system myself but I wouldn't object to this. I say do both. If I had the choice I'd rather just buy an accessory that adds buttons to the Vita, but using a DS4 to play games on Vita is a nice solution too. If Sony would implement this feature quickly it could be a somewhat temporary solution until they release an accessory.

Chitown B

Huh?? How?! To carry a single controller isn't at all the same as carrying a PS4, a suitable power source, etc.

I carry a DS3 around to sync with my tablet for gaming, and I think a lot of people would agree that the benifits of proper controls out weigh the loss of "portability" (if you can even consider it that, it is all wireless!!!)

I'm saying, you'll have to set up the Vita somewhere to use the controller. At that point you're probably too far away from it to get a good experience. If you can't use the Vita controls, just don't play that game and wait until you get home.

Would love a future patch to allow me to tether a DS4 to my VITA...

But I'm positive this is a pipedream :(
Nah, I don't think that's a pipedream. It's certainly plausible. The DS4 connects via Bluetooth and the Vita has bluetooth built-in. If Sony did this, then all our problems would be solved!

And with that, im glad I didn't get the system right now. Im one of those people who cannot play his vita without always touching the backpad accidentally.
Will wait for a proper update.

AC4 is the only game that maps to my liking.

L3/R3 - Bottom left and right corners of the touch screen.
L2/R2 - Left and Right halves of the back touch.
Touchpad - Upper center of the touch screen.

I wish this was the default honestly. Or I just wish devs were putting in more effort.

Yes!
This is pretty much perfect and how I map my PSX/PSP titles

DieH@rd

Banned
Customizable controls and 60fps. Also, default scheme needs to have L3 and R3 binded to the front screen, just near two sticks.

Yeah, the default remapping of triggers to the touchpad isn't really ideal - way too easy to trigger those accidentally. At least Resogun allows you to remap controller buttons, so you can use e.g. the face buttons for bomb and throw human instead (still not perfect though, since you'd need to switch back to the normal scheme if you prefer that for playing on PS4).

Top Bottom