• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.

oh honey no...

Loudninja

Your post was stupid because it was just a hot take.

You literally said they only did that stuff just to look good. Like everyone in that company.

DO you think Alexandria Neonakis. The UI designer for these games and is HUGE in pushing inclusion with disabled gamers. Did it just to "look" good?

This is the issue when you go "Fuck ND" or "Fuck Sony"

The person who did the harassment needs to be gone if they aren't already, and whoever at HR needs to go as well.
Yep have to move this disease.

TheMoon

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

err ...what? this world is not the real world.

TheYanger

We can't even conclude that yet. Best way I can put it is I'm a Gator fan, and years ago there was a rape allegation against FSU QB Jameis Winston. Many of my gator friends already had the pitchforks out, and I said that while it's a serious allegation and if he did it I hope he pays, I can't automatically assume he did it. I still remember the Duke LaCrosse team and Nancy Grace assuming guilt in the rape case. I can only wait for more info in this case.

Ok yes, you're right all we know now is the accusation of such things, I suppose I was trying to shorthand that but it's important to note the distinction.

Again nobody knows both sides. How many times has a friend or coworker told you a story about someone and the other person has a totally different story?!

Yeah guys, he could be lying. Lets just stop talking about it until sony gives us an account of what actually happened.

Yes im being sarcastic.

capnjazz

Neo Member
Your post was stupid because it was just a hot take.

You literally said they only did that stuff just to look good. Like everyone in that company.

DO you think Alexandria Neonakis. The UI designer for these games and is HUGE in pushing inclusion with disabled gamers. Did it just to "look" good?

This is the issue when you go "Fuck ND" or "Fuck Sony"

The person who did the harassment needs to be gone if they aren't already, and whoever at HR needs to go as well.

Except you didn't even ask me to elaborate as I have in my other posts. You just started blasting me and insulting me without asking me to explain my stance.

I hope someone brings this up during PSX.

What we could really use is some proper investigation into this, but I imagine anyone who looks into it - even good old Press Sneak Fuck - might just be unofficially blacklisted forever from any kind of above-average access. Hopefully someone is willing to take that risk.

Dame

There's also this response from someone else.

tlNbeEs.png

A quick google search of Naughty Dog and Niantic brings up someone, but I don't know what the rules are on this sort of stuff, don't want to start a witch hunt if it's not the right person.

David Ballard deserves a damn job & Sony, what is my favourite company, need to be held accountable/reprimanded, and exposed for this. This is disgusting.

In late 2015, I was sexually harassed at Naughty Dog by a lead. My work environment became extremely toxic afterward.

What's sexually harassing to some people doesn't bother others. Some people are just to damn sensitive.
Did he ever say stop or just kept taking it and go to HR?
Not enough info to bash the whole company.

Like do people actually read their post before hitting submit?

You're presenting as those convicting on the grounds of 140 characters. This thread makes it apparent you're not an anomaly, and whether or not there were transgressions at Naughty Dog in 2015, "blindly" believing every tweet before both sides have been presented is a fad that needs to end. Being measured in your judgment isn't too much to ask, is it?
Naughty Dog's past troubling track records, along with the video game industry's shady treatment of employees, point to the strong possibility of the victim being right.

Ourobolus

Banned

wtf

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
In late 2015, I was sexually harassed at Naughty Dog by a lead. My work environment became extremely toxic afterward.

What’s sexually harassing to some people doesn’t bother others. Some people are just to damn sensitive.
Did he ever say stop or just kept taking it and go to HR?
Not enough info to bash the whole company.

Good grief.....

Cerium

Thread already has some bad posts but this is truly shit.

Uh, yeah?

I'm a straight dude, doesn't mean I liked any of the instances I had to deal with this in school. This line of thought is why I couldn't speak up about it.

rivalneo

Neo Member
You don't just sign off on a $20,000 check without the company knowing. Sony knew.
I've not said anything to the contrary, of course some higher ups at sony would have to know. Thought I'd made that clear with the handful of people comment. As the op mentions it was sony's HR involved it goes without saying surely?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
At this point I agree, but if we find out later that there is a pattern of this type of activity at ND, then the "few bad apples" argument eventually goes out.

While not necessarily sexual harassment related, but hasn’t there been articles in the past about Naughty Dog treating people like shit?

That's disappointing to hear and, honestly, the handling was even worse.

If employees can't be protected by a corporation as large as Sony, then what chance does anyone really have?

Fantastic of him to come forward though. While it may not be part of their "corporate culture", it's still a company that had, at least, one person is a high up position that was able to do this and an HR team that acted poorly to deal with it.

A lot of bad people in the games industry are probably sweating as more and more people are no longer afraid to come forward.

Like, there are going to be stories of it happening everywhere. It happens everywhere.

Boke1879

Like it was posted earlier. I'm shocked so many people are shocked at this. From this happening to HR pretty much pushing it under the rug. This happens in every industry.

And if it can happen at ND. Just think how many other places it's actually happening at in the games industry.

RedHill

Banned
This hits home with me as this is the same timeline of events that happened to me when I reported my sexual harassment. I was transferred to a location that I couldn't commute to and was told that they were "accommodating me." And I don't work in the video game industry.

I'm glad all this shit is coming to light.

Ascenion

If it makes you feel better, their treatment of their employees is some of the worst in the industry in other areas as well.

How so? It’s always seemed like ND had a good employee environment but this shit tells me that can’t be true, so what else have they done?

Edit: I see you already answered. Sorry I’m at work, can’t follow the thread as well as I’d like.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Or maybe I feel slighted, as a POC, that people in charge of companies like this are using our struggles in their games as a way to profit instead of bringing those actual issues to light. But what do I know? I don't really have a voice, it looks like.
I apologize. I was unaware of your personal situation and was responding to your post because it said similar things I’ve been seeing from a number of right leaning white men and was using that as a response to all of it.

FWIW I don't think anyone saying "Fuck ND" is saying "Fuck literally every employee of Naughty Dog because they allowed this to happen". Like these things tend to be, it's a power thing from higher-ups, in conjunction the money source (Sony), possibly leading to systemic issues. "Fuck the company" is not "fuck all of the people".

I just think “fuck Sony” is much more accurate in this case unless more info comes out about a cultural issue at ND. I also wanted to add the size of the studio in case people start trying to guess who it was because that’s a hole no one wants to go down without more information

BajiBoxer

Banned

Yes. I know from experience. It was very uncomfortable and humiliating.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Did Sony respond? I am horrified.
They're not going to simply and quickly respond unless to deny everything. This right now is a legal minefield. Any admittance of guilt from them means the chance of a successful lawsuit rises.

That's why they tried to pay to keep him quiet. For this exact scenario.

Harlequin

So you're saying (assuming you're a straight/bi male) that you're always in the mood for sex with absolutely any woman no matter whether you like her or hate her or find her sexually attractive?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's just weird being aggressively hit on by women who are your superior who you don't have any attraction to. Not gonna presume to know this guy's situation but it happened to me when I was working a shitty retail job in college. I kinda just laughed it off every time but it was really weird. It would be even weirder at a "real job" where the stakes were higher and I had a mortgage to pay and resume to worry about, etc.

luulubuu

In what cave are you living.

Boke1879

Except you didn't even ask me to elaborate as I have in my other posts. You just started blasting me and insulting me without asking me to explain my stance.

For that I apologize. I truly do.

But there are lots of good, hardworking people at ND right now pushing inclusion and believing they are doing a good job of that.

dano1

A Sheep
I have to say that I hope you are never an HR manager or a manager for that matter. This is not a good statement and I advise you to do some research and some soul searching.

If they are PROVEN guilty anyone involved should be fired and jailed!!! But all I’m saying is innocent until proven guilty!!

Quonny

No. The purpose of HR is to protect the company. They don't give a shit about employees. I don't understand why people don't get this.

This'll be my last post in this thread, because I see this all the time and it bothers me.

The purpose of HR is to foster a positive, safe work environment for the employees so both the employees and company can prosper.

Zolo

No. The purpose of HR is to protect the company. They don't give a shit about employees. I don't understand why people don't get this.

Yeah. If the harasser was another low or mid-level employee, then maybe HR can help. If it's a lead or executive, then yeah. HR is going to put that lead or executive first.

It's absolutely disgusting that they tried to cover it up. Hopefully the recent wave of victims coming forth to share their stories exposes more of this type of abuse.

Whatever happens now and no matter how long it takes but let's just hope the one(s) responsible for this will get what is coming to them because chances are they will try that shit again on someone else. I have a feeling many more will come out now, several other companies probably too and while it may make us look very different at these companies if that happens it doesn't matter, as long as things are done about this and not swept under the rug.

If he decides to make a case of it I hope he has proof, and it wouldn't surprise me if that is enough for others to come forward.

RedHill

Banned

Men that are in committed relationships/are single and don't want to be touched/made uncomfortable by a harasser exist too...

Top Bottom