• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirap

But Adam Sessler said it was perfect :(

Sad to see this happen to Forza, I was really tempted to buy an Xbone for this to scratch my racing itch but I guess I'll just get Rivals instead.

NO STOREFRONT OR AUCTION HOUSE!? WHAT!? Dammit - those were tremendous features for the past few games and allowed me to have some sweet designs without needing to actually become good at art design.

Grimsen

The insidious part isn't the price of the cars, it's the fact that the game is now firmly in the F2P design model, but with a 60$ price tag.

This was on my short list of must-haves on XBONE, but not anymore.

UraMallas

But Adam Sessler said it was perfect :(

Sad to see this happen to Forza, I was really tempted to buy an Xbone for this to scratch my racing itch but I guess I'll just get Rivals instead.

Of all the franchises to do it to. This sim genre is about as far away from the demo that I personally believe this kind of thing appeals to and I hope GT takes note. I will never be buying this.

IJoel

So I got the Day One edition, and redeemed my code, but I can't find the day one edition cars. Where are they supposed to be?

PS: Sorry in advance to those that encounter my Drivatar. :p

ironcreed

Banned
NO STOREFRONT OR AUCTION HOUSE!? WHAT!? Dammit - those were tremendous features for the past few games and allowed me to have some sweet designs without needing to actually become good at art design.

That alone proves the greed behind the design. They don't even allow people to share and buy from each other anymore. Hell, even Horizon has that.

If you don't get cars by leveling, and you don't get cars by winning championship, are they that blatantly assholes?

For fucks' sake, Gran Turismo ONE on the PSX gave you cars for achieving something, and that was back in 1998!

Muku

Wow. Talking about milking gamers for all their worth. No one should pay that amount, or be okay with paying that kind of money, for DLC. Ever. That kind of money for one car? I knew MS wanted to milk folks wallet, but that's taking it to a new level. I don't care what kind of reasoning they give, it ain't worth it.

Pwn

The insidious part isn't the price of the cars, it's the fact that the game is now firmly in the F2P design model, but with a 60$ price tag.

This was on my short list of must-haves on XBONE, but not anymore.

If this game and this kind of business model succeed, I can't imagine how bad the next-gen experience would be.

Drager

Banned
If you don't get cars by leveling, and you don't get cars by winning championship, are they that blatantly assholes?

For fucks' sake, Gran Turismo ONE on the PSX gave you cars for achieving something, and that was back in 1998!

This is also addressed earlier in the video I just linked to. This thread has spun not just out of control but off a freaking cliff.

Booshka

It's like everyone at MS just wanted to put Riot's F2P model in all of their full priced games. Credits and Tokens might as well be IP and RP.

Sad to see a great series like Forza get shit on by this nonsense. I loved the storefront and auction house because I could by cars for cheaper, pick up specific tuning setups for specific cars/tracks and races. Looks like they took out a lot of the stuff that made Forza unique and awesome and spent that time adding this bullshit.

CryptiK

Well thanks reviewers for giving this game such high scores.. Now they think what they are doing is good and works.

Anyone from Turn10 commented on this?

Either Helios or Mech finally responded on FM.net forums and said to keep playing the game but they are listening... That was about it.

What really disappoints me is Turn 10's lack of ownership of the issue. Not to mention the Mod squad over there...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

lol. yeah, no storefront or auction house. now, you dont have to buy any design thats been made. they are all free. however, the designer gets credits for every time someone uses his design in a race. this is not an example of them ruining the game, the economy, or ripping people off through new monetization schemes.

I'm amazed how many people (mostly juniors, I might add) are here defending this obvious, hyper greedy money grab as a good thing. It's quite sad to think that people would stand up and white knight for a company that's obviously trying to see how far they can bend people before they break and say 'fuck off' to microtransactions. Apparently some of us aren't going to break at all, but rather choose to say 'give us MORE' while pretending that hundreds of hours of grinding in an incomplete game is a suitable substitute for shelling out ever more cash.

Ugh.

I see. So disagreeing about the gravity of this means one side must be shills or white knighting?

I pointed out other games that have microtransactions for shortcuts and it really doesn't break those games as well. If you find the game to be boring, it isn't the fault of the microtransactions. The mere option existing doesn't destroy the game. If this sounds idiotic to you, don't use it. If you find the game seems be grindy or unappealing outside of the microtransactions, let the devs know ( and fellow gamers) and do not purchase the next installation.

It really is that simple.

There needs to be a law that states something like, "A game that is not free and claims the use of microtransactions cannot price the transactions more than 6% of the first month cost of the game. Subscription based games cannot claim microtransactions of more than 15% of their monthly sub cost. " This means that a game that averages $60 cost in the first month cannot price the "Microtransactions" over $3.60 for the transaction or they cannot call it a microtransaction. While a subscription based game that costs $15 a month cannot call the purchase a microtransaction over $2.25. Free games would not be subject to this because that is how they make money. Calling things microtransactions and then having the cost be nothing close to micro is misleading the customer.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Catching up on the rest of the thread now...good lord.

This is seriously filthy. It's literally a F2P model for a game that costs $60 and even has a season pass.

There needs to be a law that states something like, "A game that is not free and claims the use of microtransactions cannot price the transactions more than 6% of the first month cost of the game. Subscription based games cannot claim microtransactions of more than 15% of their monthly sub cost. " This means that a game that averages $60 cost in the first month cannot price the "Microtransactions" over $3.60 for the transaction or they cannot call it a microtransaction. While a subscription based game that costs $15 a month cannot call the purchase a microtransaction over $2.25. Free games would not be subject to this because that is how they make money. Calling things microtransactions and then having the cost be nothing close to micro is misleading the customer.

Call your congressman.

Really glad this model was rewarded with nearly unanimous praise from the press. Who's interest do they represent again?

I've said it in the sim threads, this shit bums me out, cause at the end of he day I want people to enjoy the racing sim genre, even though I never buy Forza games and only ever play them at friends. But even though we don't know the extent, it will be in GT6 too and I will be skipping my first ever GT game, which is my all time fav franchise. Fuck this toxic mobile game pricing plague. Mobile isn't going to kill the console with competition, it is going to kill the consoles with their nickel and dining gameplay structure.

weevles

My son and I tried the demo @ the MS store tonight. It was fun and felt like the other Forza games from a purely driving perspective. If I had an Xbox One, I would say that, unfortunately, it is a must have title (unless you really don't like driving/racing games). Sad that the game relies so much on microtransactions. I wouldn't buy this title at full price.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
You still have the situation of buying extra cars only to have to buy them again in game. Turn 10 released a rushed and non complete game and they have the audacity to pump the micro-transaction angle ad-nauseam ? Greedy.

Booshka

You still have the situation of buying extra cars only to have to buy them again in game. Turn 10 released a rushed and non complete game and they have the audacity to pump the micro-transaction angle ad-nauseam ? Greedy.

It's just par for the course for all MS first party games now. Everything is littered with "Premium" gameplay models, it's right there in your face in every menu.

I see. So disagreeing about the gravity of this means one side must be shills or white knighting?

I pointed out other games that have microtransactions for shortcuts and it really doesn't break those games as well. If you find the game to be boring, it isn't the fault of the microtransactions. The mere option existing doesn't destroy the game. If this sounds idiotic to you, don't use it. If you find the game seems be grindy or unappealing outside of the microtransactions, let the devs know ( and fellow gamers) and do not purchase the next installation.

It really is that simple.

Who cares if other games did? The fact that people gave it a pass then is the reason we're getting it now. These games cost $60, if someone wants the gold at the end of rainbow then they should either play through the game, or if the devs want to give the casual fans a break they should enable cheat codes or allow all cars to be used in an arcade SP/MP setting, they shouldn't FUCKING CHARGE PEOPLE to play the content on the disk they already bought and they shouldn't fucking charge people EGREGIOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY.

oxidax

Turn 10 is losing me as a fan little by little. Probably thanks to M$.. Right now im really scared about GT6. The more stuff i see about forza 5, the more i think GT6 is gonna be the same way or almost the same. WTF man? is this gaming now?

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
It's just par for the course for all MS first party games now. Everything is littered with "Premium" gameplay models, it's right there in your face in every menu.

I get the premium angle, but that only applies to free games. Pay to Play has turned into Pay to Play to Pay Again!

I have watched in horror since gamers let Microsoft get away with all sorts of shit: charging for online, ads, enabling on-disc DLC, enabling gratuitous DLC, enabling season-passes, locking apps behind paywall, etc. Why is anyone so horrified and shocked at them introducing F2P elements now? We could see it coming from years away.

I bet project cars won't have this......

The feel of next gen D:

I really don't like where this is going honestly. Seems foul, but that's the benefit of being a consumer, I can just avoid that garbage. I got so many hours on Horizon, this is pretty lame

shandy706

I'm not happy with paid car packs so early, but the rest is easy to ignore. I've ran 5 or 6 races and messed around in other modes..including designing decals. My avatar has made me good money too.

I topped over 100k pretty quickly and bought a new car. I've also done a number of upgrades. I have not and will not buy tokens. Thankfully it doesn't force you to.

As someone whose bought and played every Forza game on the 360, It's a goddamn shame what has this once great franchise. Not a chance in hell, I'll ever be buying 5 whenever the X1 drops in price.

Alchemy

The saddest part is the group who "just ignores it", because until this microtransaction policy has a negative impact on box copy sales there is zero reason for Microsoft and Turn 10 not to put this shit in there and to keep getting worse and worse with them. These microtransactions earn Turn 10 money, and the more they can "optimize" them without cutting into their box copy sales the better. Shit, there is probably an amount of box copies that they're willing to sacrifice to allow for whales to exist in their game just like how Microsoft had a number of offline users they were willing to lose with their online DRM (which didn't pan out).

amnesiac

Wow, fuck this.

It's honestly a little strange going back to games made 7-10 years ago and being able to unlock everything WITHOUT MONEY.

The sad thing is people will continue to buy games that has shit like this in it. It can't be stopped.

Dead Man

Really glad this model was rewarded with nearly unanimous praise from the press. Who's interest do they represent again?

I've said it in the sim threads, this shit bums me out, cause at the end of he day I want people to enjoy the racing sim genre, even though I never buy Forza games and only ever play them at friends. But even though we don't know the extent, it will be in GT6 too and I will be skipping my first ever GT game, which is my all time fav franchise. Fuck this toxic mobile game pricing plague. Mobile isn't going to kill the console with competition, it is going to kill the consoles with their nickel and dining gameplay structure.

Yup.

Not sure if this has been posted:
"What happens when free-to-play games aren't free?"
Source: eurogamer.net

A good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom