• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 Pre-Release Discussion (50GB Day1 Patch, Achievements, Demo/Previews on 19th)

Tommi84

Poor bastards with slow/capped internet connection ;D.

Myself, I refuse to buy any digital games around 50gb just because of the network I have. MS is again showing me that they don't want my money, by telling me that even with the disc version I need to download heckload of data. No way in hell.

'Thankfully, we have a product if you dont have internet... Xbox 360..' [sound of crickets]

willbsn13

This thread will probably get locked since I don't think these are allowed since the OT rules were changed, but this is nothing new for Forza. Although they used to at least spread it across multiple discs.

GT Sport & PCars 2 have effectively similar threads that have been running for months. If it needs to be locked then so be it, but it'd be weird since those threads have not been locked.

Upinsmoke

In a world where there are still data caps with some providers, a 50GB patch is just ridiculous. That's not just Forza but these huge day one patches in general.

That mandatory patch sure is going to be a bummer for a lot of people that don't follow sites like this on release date. Yikes. They should be pressing a 2nd disc.

Tall Paul

Wow, along with any other games that will download the 4K assets as well there's some serious eternal hard drive sales coming up for suppliers!

What the hell do Microsoft Studios do with their filesizes??!!! What does this game have that warrants such an insane amount of data when equivalent games by other companies take up much less?

Tall Paul

Hard thing if your capped or have a slow internet connection the day 1 excitement will be killed immediately for many people, and most on Gaf or who follow gaming will at least (whilst stupidly annoying) accept it as part of modern gaming but that's still a minority, Joe and Jean Casual who get a console for the kids will just question why and think it's broken.

Tall Paul

Also, I can't remember any time I've seen in a shop where they have any external drives displayed amoung the console hardware and games, with sizes this big it's essential now no 2 ways about it unless you just have a select few games and manage it that way, hopefully this "shrinkable games" option that's on the horizon will address some of that at least.

Autofokus

Well, its playable but not the full game.

I don't think the One or PS4 have implemented multi-disc game installs, unfortunately

XBO at least does.

In terms of how multi-disc support works for the user, data is installed in sequence on a per-disc basis with the system prompting you to swap Blu-rays when required. However, for gameplay, disc one must be in the drive, acting as a license check. Based on the documentation we've seen, while the underlying software for supporting multiple Blu-rays allow for up to 15 discs, Microsoft is supporting a maximum of two right now for mastering. Anything beyond that may require a bespoke arrangement with the platform holder.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I have two 8TB external drives hooked up to my X1S, plus 2TB of space in the console itself.

I'm ready for this.

Ninja Dom

50gb day 1 patch? I was really hesitant to buy the Super Mario Odyssey Switch bundle because it was digital. A 50gb patch on my internet would take nearly a full day of nonstop downloading.

Switch is portable so it's possible to go to a place with fast internet and download Odyssey there.

The other 50GB "unlocks a wealth of new Forza Driver’s Cup content, including new competitive and Showcase events, as well as new trophies and Driver Gear rewards.

Sounds like a an enormous amount of data for new events and rewards. Surely there's gotta be more to it?

deadfolk

- November 7th; Forza Motosport 7 will get a 4k update for Xbox One X.

Disappointing. Means I'll still be waiting a couple of days at least after X1X launch before I'll be playing. I guess it will be the same with AC:O.

Was hoping these would hit a little before so we could take advantage of the ability to pro-load 4K patches on base XBox and transfer.

Whew.

Already got this preordered digitally since I plan to play first on my gaming laptop at the end of the month... That file size is nuts, though, and I will have to redownload it from scratch when I get my X in November, and from the sound of things, it's gonna be well above that 95GB since it sounds like they're doing yet another update to the game to add in the 4K assets.

I do hope that their smart install processes are in place and they can maybe cut out some lower-res assets out of the file size if you're downloading and playing from an Xbox One X. It wouldn't be as substantial a decrease as omitting the 4K assets like the Xbox One and Xbox One S versions will, but I would still appreciate any attempt to keep the filesize lower without drastically impacting game performance (i.e. Don't compress too much as it could stifle load times).

Alexious

I guess this is mostly an issue for those who live in countries where providers limit the monthly bandwidth. Luckily this never happened where I live (Italy) and hopefully never will, the mere thought of it makes me puke.

Gonna be painfull to wait for november 7 and to not open the game. Just bought a 4K tv and I wan't to play this asap

Still thinking about the Ultimate Edition btw. With FH3 it was worth it. What made you guys order the Ultimate for F7? It's just mistly more cars right?

The UE is almost twice as expensive 😬

willbsn13

I’m not entirely sure why you are quoting me.

But
It’s a content pack.

It’s not a mandatory update.

It is not required to play

Couldn't fit Day 1 Content Pack in the title. Although if this 50gb update is being pushed as an update, then it will be a mandatory update to play online atleast.

xrnzaaas

I'm not entirely sure why you are quoting me.

But
It's a content pack.

It's not a mandatory update.

It is not required to play

Well if it installs like a normal patch you won't be able to access any online stuff (multiplayer, drivatars, messages, liveries etc.) until you download it.

xrnzaaas

well, that's fairly new, and revealed as of two days ago, lol

Is it true XONE doesn't support multi-disc releases? I thought that only applied to BC games.

Anyway that would be a great idea, I'd love to download games without multiplayer or not have to deal with huge monthly MP/esports updates (I'm talking to you Gears 4).

Daffy Duck

They didn’t.

OP did

Correct, but their wording is hilarious.

Turn10 said:
The Xbox One game will be approximately 95 GB at launch. Just about 45 GB of that contained on the Blu-ray disc. The remainder will be available to download for free on September 29.

Thanks, I'm so glad they made the rest available for free lol

arhra

Will, not does.

The management features for that stuff literally just appeared in alpha preview builds the other day, which likely points to the next big update being necessary for games to support it, meaning games can't ship using it until after the update is live (probably around the One X launch), so it wasn't an option for Forza.

Caayn

- Install Size is 95GB for Xbox. 45GB of that is on the disc, 50GB is an additional download in the form of a day one patch. Though the game can be played just off the 45GB on the physical disc.
Crazy to think that a day one download will be larger than the actual game itself.. Even crazier is that Microsoft decided that 1TB would be sufficient for their "premium" console with games of this size
bonk.gif

I'm glad that I've got an uncapped 500/500Mbit but I realize that I'm in a position that many either can't afford or can't get even if they wanted to pay for it.

This is just wrong as it basically means you aren't buying a retail physical game.

Patches should be bug fixes and future DLC only.

horkrux

I'm glad that this will be a thing of the past soon.

As long as they don't find excuses not to actually make use of the new multi-disc feature...

F34R

Looks like I'll hope for a definitive xbox one x edition where I don't have to download anything to play the game. That, or it'll be another game on the list of games for me not to buy.

MouldyK

Looks like I'll hope for a definitive xbox one x edition where I don't have to download anything to play the game. That, or it'll be another game on the list of games for me not to buy.

So...you're waiting for them to condense the file size of a 95gb game...and it's DLC?!

Either you waiting for a multi disk edition or you won't get it.

Top Bottom