• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 8 details leak - 120 FPS, rally racing, cinematic storyline and more

sn0man

a hot bed of fanboy juices.

So... Neogaf

Like I said, it COULD be done, but it'd just be stupid, because virtually nobody has a tv that can display 4k at 120 fps.

Plus they'd be stuck revealing a big next gen game that looks like an Xbox One game, which is hardly ideal.

It would make much more sense to have proper next gen visuals at 4k 60 then downgrade as necessary for the One systems.

For a crossgen racing game adjusting rendering resolution and lighting model saves time as they only need to make one set of assets (cars and tracks).

t8fzm5Yp.jpg
Hahahaha this is perfect. Brav

Last edited:

skneogaf

It has been strange how the name motorsport only applies to tarmac.

Using some of the horizon gravel should allow a couple of good tracks to be used in 8 in a race format.

I've always been surprised at turn 10 can get 1080p 60fps on the base xbox one so 4k 120fps will probably be achieved on the series x which will be amazing as I can achieve this with 7 on a 9700k 2080ti combo with using 2xmsaa instead of 8xmsaa ultra everything.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sony did show us GT7 so well have something to compare it too. GT7 is 4k60 and possible 120fps mode why would you doubt Forza 8 on Series X with a more poweful cpu/gpu couldn't be 4k120 with similar graphic quality?
Personally, the uptick from Forza 5-6-7 was very minimal, some would even say Forza 4 had better ATD. What I'm saying is that if Forza 8 still has to run properly at 1080 60fps on an XBONES, it wont be that graphically intensive, so 4k 120fps on Series X is definitely possible.....I very much doubt Forza 8 will be pulling an extremely high level of detail, raytraced lighting, reflections shadows etc and run that at 4k 120fps on Series X.....If it did, that would mean that the XBONES version would look seriously compromised in comparison and I'm not sure MS wants such a big differentiator there. I think they have been smart enough to let the customers know that games will still play fine enough on the old hardware, which means that the ambition for their games is one that is sustainable on older hardware.......

Jigga117

It'd just be so stupid to make that the standard when virtually nobody has a tv that supports it.

I could see 120 fps at 1080p or maybe dynamic res.
I have 2 TVs that do it and again what is with this standard shit? 4k@120 if true is an option not some standard. you make it sound as if that’s the only resolution it can play in.

Dnice1

Personally, the uptick from Forza 5-6-7 was very minimal, some would even say Forza 4 had better ATD. What I'm saying is that if Forza 8 still has to run properly at 1080 60fps on an XBONES, it wont be that graphically intensive, so 4k 120fps on Series X is definitely possible.....I very much doubt Forza 8 will be pulling an extremely high level of detail, raytraced lighting, reflections shadows etc and run that at 4k 120fps on Series X.....If it did, that would mean that the XBONES version would look seriously compromised in comparison and I'm not sure MS wants such a big differentiator there. I think they have been smart enough to let the customers know that games will still play fine enough on the old hardware, which means that the ambition for their games is one that is sustainable on older hardware.......

I don't know it appears there was an uptick.
maxresdefault.jpg

As for as your projections on what the games will look like. We'll all see on the 23rd.

Jigga117

Then you didn’t pay attention to the breakdown for the series X. The ray tracing has a dedicated hardware specifically to handle RT not just the GPU

Last edited:
I don't think the next Forza will be playable on xbox one. They made their no exclusive statement last year around October. By the time this game comes out a year will have past.

This is a game that will be CPU intensive so it will not be able scale. So I fully expect Forza 8 to be xbox Series X exclusive.

They did all that they can on xbox one. Nothing more than can do.

"4k 120 fps with ray tracing"

Err, yeah that's not happening.

Might actually be possible. For starters the Forza engines are incredibly well-optimized. Additionally, I've been speculating for a while that there might be GPU customizations on the Series systems to help facilitate this.

If you remember, a LONG few months ago there was an apparently random AMD Indian engineer's LinkedIn talking about their work on the Series X APU. In it they explicitly mentioned x86-64 and ARM cores. Now if we assume the Series's OS work the same was as the older systems, then the ARM cores likely aren't for that since they didn't use ARM co-processors. We also know they aren't for any part of the I/O hardware or audio since it more or less would've been mentioned by now, directly or indirectly.

XBO, the X and a couple Nvidia cards have hardware support for executeIndirect, allowing the GPU to process instructions without direct CPU instruction passes to cut down on stalls. I don't know how robust its implementation was in those systems and GPU cards, but it's there. Some patents seem to show that they have expanded hardware support for this significantly, or at least could in theory. So to me it kind of ties in with that LinkedIn listing from months back.

If that's the case then I can see 4K/120 with optimized RT in a game like Forza 8 being readily possible, since the GPU would have a secondary coprocessor means of getting instructions for data calculation. It's not too far-fetched to think it's been customized in this fashion, either; Nvidia cards already use ARM and FPGA cores on them, mainly to help manage their memory and features like GPUDirectStorage. So I can see MS having made some customizations to their APU inspired by this which could increase efficiency and throughput of GPU calculations along the pipeline.

Still though, for now it's speculation. Hopefully we get definitive answers in August when the Hot Chips presentation comes along.

Hunnybun

I have 2 TVs that do it and again what is with this standard shit? 4k@120 if true is an option not some standard. you make it sound as if that’s the only resolution it can play in.

The highest resolution defines the standard, because the scalability of a game is basically in its resolution and frame rate.

You think there would be a version on top running at 4k 60 with improved assets, lighting etc? That's never gonna happen.

All that would happen is that Series X owners without an appropriate tv would have to play a game that looked like current gen at 4k 60.

I disagree greatly.

When you have folks say stuff like "4K 120 fps? Nooo I dont want xbox one graphics fidelity." Its clear many of us know HOW this is being done and at what sacrifice.

"Its a racing game. It won't in any way be limited or gimped by the fact that they are also making a version for Xbox One" Nah.

They are making a XONE version and porting it to Series X. We can relax on all the semitatics making it seem as if 2 fucking games are being made, they are making 1 game and proceeding to port it.

Thats like trying to say The Last Of Us remastered is them making a "PS4 version", nah bud, its them PORTING A PS3 GAME TO PS4......

As to why something like The Last Of Us 1 doesn't look like The Last Of Us 2 or Uncharted 4 or anything like that on PS4. Being ON a system doesn't mean the game was made from the ground up for the system.

Its why ACIV doesn't look like Unity.

Why BF4 doesn't look as good as BF1 or BFV

Its why Watchdogs 1 doesn't look as impressive as Watchdogs 2.

Porting a game on PS4 or XONE doesn't actually mean it will actually look as good as ground up PS4 and XONE games.

CLEARLY porting XONE games to Series X or PS4 to PS5 is not going to look like native made from the ground up PS5 or Series X games.

Trust.

THEY ARE NOT MAKING 2 DIFFERENT FUCKING GAMES. ie 1 last gen and 1 next gen. It sounds like desperate hyperbole. Shit I'm buying some cross gen games myself like Cyberpunk 2077 and AC Valhalla, but I don't fucking kid myself as if THOSE games actually show what the next gen systems can actually do. Unlikely.

AC IV wasn't on the level of Unity.

Porting a game doesn't actually mean its "next gen" folks. Not sure why now people are trying to force that narrative when this company is now gimping their own system.
Wanna bet that halo infinite will blow away graphically every ps5 launch and launch window title ?

Why would he be talking about the releases of Series X games for 2 years if the system clearly isn't out? Sooooo “...over the next year, two years...” doesn't actually make sense in regards to Series X titles if clearly it doesn't exist yet to fit that idea.

They very likely mean years following Series X release.

I don't know how you can talk about Series X releases in a time frame WHERE ITS NOT RELEASED! It makes no sense...
The quote was aimed at people buying an xbox one, hence him going on to talk about having people covered if they buy an xbox one between last November and the release of series x.

Dr Bass

Funny cos virtually everyone else on here seems to think we won't see 60 fps games next gen cos an fps number doesn't shift units.

With needing to run on Xbox one systems I think you’re going to see a loooot of 60 fps games on series X. And I totally believe you’ll see a decent number of 120 FPS games too.

It’s the exclusive games where people doubt 60 will be the norm. It’s very reasonable to think studios would rather push the art and visuals and have 30 FPS.

Dr Bass

Look at how confusing the cross generational strategy is to people already. People who play games as a major hobby. Imagine if you’re someone with a One X and all of a sudden you can’t play “the new games” because they cut it off after a “few years”. I feel like this thread is already showing this whole thing to be a bad strategy.

JLB

Banned
Ill be honest, I dont quite understand how those first four items will affect the game:
  • New tire pressure model.
  • Dynamic track temperatures.
  • New atmosphere pressure system, affecting air density, dynamics, and power.
  • Redesigned suspension system With ned modeling.
Anyway, FM8 is my #2 reason to get Series X, just a big behind Halo Infinite. This game is going to be amazing.

JLB

Banned
Look at how confusing the cross generational strategy is to people already. People who play games as a major hobby. Imagine if you’re someone with a One X and all of a sudden you can’t play “the new games” because they cut it off after a “few years”. I feel like this thread is already showing this whole thing to be a bad strategy.

What is confusing?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good, except for the cinematic storyline.

When I played FH2, you get nailed with all sorts of narrative shit from the UK guy. I just want to race and complete events. I don't need a narrator gabbing in cut scenes in between events.

JLB

Banned
I just want them to fix the car selection:

No more pick up trucks or weird shit
Please stop having that many American cars.
Add more Japanese and European cars
Focus on pre 2005 cars, modern car design sucks.

No more pick up trucks or weird shit
Please stop having that many American cars.

I mean, what is wrong with having more options? Just dont use them.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
[QUOTE
Ill be honest, I dont quite understand how those first four items will affect the game:
Anyway, FM8 is my #2 reason to get Series X, just a big behind Halo Infinite. This game is going to be amazing.

Different tracks have different types of tarmack. Until now they have basically used the same type of road for every track but in the real world each track is a bit different.

Dynamic tire pressure would affect long terms races as the pressure would change and the feel of the car would as the races goes on.

Atmosphere would affect cooling and air pressure I would assume. But I can't see this amount a huge difference in how it plays.

Dr Bass

What is confusing?

There are people arguing in this thread how long this cross generational support thing is going to last, what the “base” system is, and why it has to be Xbox one if we are getting 120 fps support while others say that’s not how studios work (as if anyone outside knows). You have Xbox fans arguing about Xbox support in an Xbox thread. No one truly knows wtf Microsoft is doing in this regard long term. One day the you just won’t get new Xbox one games for no real reason other than “it’s time”?

JLB

Banned
There are people arguing in this thread how long this cross generational support thing is going to last, what the “base” system is, and why it has to be Xbox one if we are getting 120 fps support while others say that’s not how studios work (as if anyone outside knows). You have Xbox fans arguing about Xbox support in an Xbox thread. No one truly knows wtf Microsoft is doing in this regard long term. One day the you just won’t get new Xbox one games for no real reason other than “it’s time”?

So like in PC or Playstation? Like business as usual? Are you 100% there wont be cross gen games on PS5? Are you 100% a PC game will work on your computer before checking the specs? Do you know which features will be available on the infinite possible pc specs combinations? Do you know which features are going to be available on cross gen ps5 games like AC Valhalla? By the way, what would be the "base" model there? Pro or 4?
Sometimes people wants to be obtuse by sport. You know, reminds me some of those offended by the old crappy Xbox One UI. Yes, was crappy. But my kid at the time was 4 and had no issues using it. I guess a dumb 20-ish can do it as well, right?

TBiddy

I just hope they fix the load times. I fired up FM7 on my X1X the other day, and the loading times were god awful.

[QUOTE

Different tracks have different types of tarmack. Until now they have basically used the same type of road for every track but in the real world each track is a bit different.

Dynamic tire pressure would affect long terms races as the pressure would change and the feel of the car would as the races goes on.

Atmosphere would affect cooling and air pressure I would assume. But I can't see this amount a huge difference in how it plays.
Air pressure relates to engine power, higher pressure gives you more power gives you better acceleration and top speed, low pressure is the opposite.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Storyline will be a great addition to an already amazing franchise

the first two and the last one basically have to do with friction dynamics and behavior. more variables, more calculations, more realism.
the atmospheric pressure I think will manifest more in high speeds aerodynamics. of course it could also mean that engines will output less in higher altitudes, where air density is lower etc.
as a consequence, maybe the tuning system might be revamped, if indeed substantial new parameters define the driving dynamics.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JLB
Top Bottom