• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox & Friends equates 9/11 memorial with Confederate monuments

Malyse

Faux News.

On Monday morning, Fox & Friends commemorated the sixteenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks by equating the 9/11 National Memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania to Confederate monuments.

During an interview with Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, host Brian Kilmeade noted that Zinke joined the show from Shanksville, and asked him, “Do you worry 100 years from now someone’s gonna try to take that memorial down like they’re trying to remake our memorials today?”

Zinke didn’t object to the comparison.

“Well, I’m one that believes, you know, we should learn from history, and I think our monuments are part of our country’s history,” he said. “We can learn from it. Since we don’t put up statues of Jesus, everyone is gonna fall morally short, and I think reflecting on our history — both good and bad — is a powerful statement and part of our DNA.”

Zinke went on to make a case that national monuments — apparently even including those built to commemorate those who fought for slavery — are meant to be “a tribute” to everyone.

“So I’m an advocate of, again, learning from our monuments, understanding the period that they were made, but also we live in a great country, and monuments are not Republican, Democrat, independent — the monuments are a tribute to all of us,” he said.

Speaking at the Antietam National Battlefield in July, Zinke defended the Confederate monuments that are in national parks, saying, “Don’t rewrite history.”

“Understand it for what it is and teach our kids the importance of looking at our magnificent history as a country and why we are what we are,” he added.

But Zinke’s support for preserving monuments only goes so far. He recently recommended that President Trump reduce the size of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah and the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument in Oregon in order to make room for oil and gas drilling and mining.

https://thinkprogress.org/fox-friends-equates-911-memorial-with-confederate-monuments-5a3b28dd71eb/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do you think they're too stupid to know the difference or just know their audience is too stupid to know there difference?

Jonnax

Magnificent country what it is?

Somehow I doubt they teach their kids that America was founded on Genocide and Slavery.

Lord Fagan

Shithead conservative official showing his ass on cable, waxing poetic about the special content in American DNA and Jesus statues that don't exist.

Meanwhile, in Hillaryverse...

Cagey

Banned
9/11 memorials honor those Americans who were killed by foreign enemies of America.

Confederate monuments honor those who chose to become a foreign enemy of America and killed Americans.

hobozero

gettyimages-1910634.jpg

Fox: "monuments are not Republican, Democrat, independent — the monuments are a tribute to all of us”

AJLma

They're literally a part of the morning routine of our current fuckstick president.

I don't think that's really an option anymore.

Just because Trump wastes his time masturbating to racist propaganda doesn't mean we need to be subjected to it.

Stop thread shitting. It's important to me to see propaganda like this, especially when it equates a terrorist attack and the monuments that come from it with glorifying people who wanted to keep people who look like me in chains.

No, it's actually more important that propaganda is spread and seen as little as possible. Study the science of influence.

Dryk

Remember how their audience feels about a mosque being anywhere near Ground Zero. Not even a monument to the perpetrators, just something that reminds racists of them.

If in 100 years there are monuments to the highjackers and those who planned the attack then yeah, people in the future should tear them down.

But Zinke’s support for preserving monuments only goes so far. He recently recommended that President Trump reduce the size of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah and the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument in Oregon in order to make room for oil and gas drilling and mining.

Monuments are untouchable and must remain standing or we'll forget all of history, unless they are in the way of some rich guy getting richer, then do whatever.

zelas

“We can learn from it. Since we don’t put up statues of Jesus, everyone is gonna fall morally short, and I think reflecting on our history — both good and bad — is a powerful statement and part of our DNA.”

Zinke went on to make a case that national monuments — apparently even including those built to commemorate those who fought for slavery — are meant to be “a tribute” to everyone.

Yeah! Where are the Hitler, Timothy McVeigh, KKK, Dylann Roof, Eric Rudolph, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold monuments?!

Fucking idiot.

RDreamer

Conservatives are fucking masters at reducing an argument against them to complete and utter fucking nonsense and then arguing against that instead of reality.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
In what way are Confederate monuments a tribute to "all of us"?
They are a blatant show of contempt toward Black Americans.

Well, keep in mind that for Fox and Friends and their viewers "all of us" means "all of us people that matter and have white skin"

“We can learn from it. Since we don’t put up statues of Jesus, everyone is gonna fall morally short, and I think reflecting on our history — both good and bad — is a powerful statement and part of our DNA.”
Leviticus 26:1 said:
You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar, and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to it, for I am the Lord your God.
But okay.

Just because Trump wastes his time masturbating to racist propaganda doesn't mean we need to be subjected to it.

No, it's actually more important that propaganda is spread and seen as little as possible. Study the science of influence.

Concern yourself with the people who watch Fox News, then. I wouldn't have known about this if I didn't learn about it from here, but I'm sure OP and the source won't be the only people talking about it.

A thread on NeoGAF isn't "spreading propaganda", and Fox News' blight doesn't go away if we don't know about it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Stopped reading at "lack of Jesus statues will make us lose our morality".

Are they so fucking stupid they don't remember the golden calf?

Would help if their opponents literally used the bible against them in court when it counts. Can't claim religious freedom is your own religion bans it.

AJLma

A thread on NeoGAF isn't "spreading propaganda", and Fox News' blight doesn't go away if we don't know about it.

Yes, it is, and yes, they do. You're sending them clicks, generating them revenue and spreading awareness of the fact that they're still around spreading propaganda. They count on you guys spreading their propaganda on every message-board on the internet, and they count on you guys talking in circles and getting all up in your emotions about their blatant lies.

And they're laughing at you, because you fall for it every time, and even show up to defend their tactics.

Can we erect a monument of Hitler? He was just such an important part of our history that I feel we need to have that monument there to learn from.

Copy, Paste, replace Hitler with Osama.

Copy, Paste, replace Osama with Satan.

Etc...

Karkador

Banned
OZMu34N.png

We don't put up Jesus statues because they're fire hazards, way to be insensitive to the safety needs of our communities

GG-Duo

Stop giving these trolls attention.

It'd be great if you can also actively stop others from watching it.

Study: watching Fox News has big effect on voting patterns

http://kottke.org/17/09/study-watching-fox-news-has-big-effect-on-voting-patterns

...we estimate that removing Fox News from cable television during the 2000 election cycle would have reduced the overall Republican presidential vote share by 0.46 percentage points. The predicted effect increases in 2004 and 2008 to 3.59 and 6.34 percentage points, respectively....

This seems easy to dismiss simply by fact that so many hosts and viewers of Fox News are unapologetic racists. That alone gives pause to the explanation that these statues must stay up because people need them to "learn", because go figure, they have not.

Secondly, even if you grant them that, it's pitiful. You need a statue worshiping the people who brutalized a race to understand that discrimination is a bad thing? All that tells me is that intentions as well as intelligence are at a deficit in your camp.

They're literally a part of the morning routine of our current fuckstick president.

I don't think that's really an option anymore.

Stop thread shitting. It's important to me to see propaganda like this, especially when it equates a terrorist attack and the monuments that come from it with glorifying people who wanted to keep people who look like me in chains.

No point this stupid shit out. When someone say something this dense they should be called out on it.

By giving them attention, you are literally giving them money and paying their salaries. They are saying these things for one reason, and one reason only: to make money.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fox & Friends still sounds like a saturday morning cartoon featuring furry mascot characters.

Top Bottom