• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis Ford Coppola says George Lucas's attachment to Star Wars was "A Pity"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only a matter of time until someone posts Sophia Coppola > FFC.
image.php

I never understand your posts.
Coppolla wishes Lucas hadn't gotten swallowed by the Star Wars franchise because it caused Lucas not make anything at all for decades, and then just make three more Star Wars films. He wanted to see more films by Lucas. So if that pisses you off then it must mean you REALLY didn't want Lucas to continue directing through the years.

Vice

I never understand your posts.

Coppola said that Lucas was too focused on Star Wars to work on anything else and he esstentially abandoned making small films after it.He wishes that Lucas woudl have taken out some time to make a few small films here and there rather than focus the vast majority of his time on Star Wars.

LaserBuddha's post is inferring that you don't like Lucas because Coppola wanted Lucas to make more movies rather than devote 90% of his career to six films.

Coppola is right. Star Wars can be good, but it's massively overrated. It's a legit pity that George became shackled to it. He should have stepped away from it much sooner.

Coppola said that Lucas was too focused on Star Wars to work on anything else and he esstentially abandoned making small films after it.He wishes that Lucas woudl have taken out some time to make a few small films here and there rather than focus the vast majority of his time on Star Wars.

LaserBuddha's post is inferring that you don't like Lucas because Coppola wanted Lucas to make more movies rather than devote 90% of his career to six films.

I was talking about Coppola's wine. Not sure how that unfolded into all this career analysis.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I love this.

The man doesn't even say anything bad, and people literally start shitting on the fucking filmmaker that gave us the Godfather movies and Apocalypse fucking Now.

the man's cum would win an Oscar before any of their films could.

Eleanor Coppola's making-of documentary would certainly be revealing.

FoxSpirit

I love this.

The man doesn't even say anything bad, and people literally start shitting on the fucking filmmaker that gave us the Godfather movies and Apocalypse fucking Now.

the man's cum would win an Oscar before any of their films could.
Oh, don't underestimate the pure hate successful people get, even when they haven't hurt anyone in the process. Because I can't explain the dismissal of Coppola in any other way.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Sorry, folks, if you're calling the director of The Godfather and The Conversation a bad director, you're wrong. I don't care how many Jacks he directed.

munchie64

*Type, type, type* "Yes, perfect. This will show the hackatude of that fool Coppola. Neogaf.com will love me when they see me witty comment." *Looks up at framed picture of George Lucas, with a tear in the eye*.

That's a fair point, but a bit like someone saying that it's a shame Steve Jobs got so wrapped up in that ''Apple' thing.

Lucas managed to turn a movie that the studio figured was a pile of crap into one of the most successful brands of the past 30 years, earning himself (and charities) billions in the process. That's got to be worth a few experimental films, no?

PS: Dracula > all other Coppola flix

Fj0823

Well Lucas gave his heart and soul to Star Wars and all he got back were masses of manchildren calling him a monster, a hack, an idiot, talentless etc. Just because he made 3 questionable films.

Coppola might be onto something....

ElTopo

Banned
He's right. THX-1138 is a really well done Sci Fi/Experimental film. It's the only Lucas film I like and I wish he had continued in that direction.

Well Lucas gave his heart and soul to Star Wars and all he got back were masses of manchildren calling him a monster, a hack, an idiot, talentless etc. Just because he made 3 questionable films.

I'm not a Star Wars fan at all, I've seen most of the movies maybe once (I liked the Clone Wars mini series helmed by Gennedy Tartakovsky and yes I fucked up his name). And from everything I've seen it looks like the first Star Wars was a fluke. Had Lucas gotten his way, Han Solo would have been a lizard creature and Luke would have been a 50 year old man and C3PO would have sounded like a used car salesman. A lot of the iconic parts of Star Wars that you guys love are the results of other people. One of the storyboard/costume designer guys created Darth Vader. Lucas' original script described Vader as a figure with a black cloak, that's it. Plus the film was terrible until it was saved in editing.

Stop putting Lucas on a pedestal.

Dead

well not really...yet
He's right. THX-1138 is a really well done Sci Fi/Experimental film. It's the only Lucas film I like and I wish he had continued in that direction.

I'm not a Star Wars fan at all, I've seen most of the movies maybe once (I liked the Clone Wars mini series helmed by Gennedy Tartakovsky and yes I fucked up his name). And from everything I've seen it looks like the first Star Wars was a fluke. Had Lucas gotten his way, Han Solo would have been a lizard creature and Luke would have been a 50 year old man and C3PO would have sounded like a used car salesman. A lot of the iconic parts of Star Wars that you guys love are the results of other people. One of the storyboard/costume designer guys created Darth Vader. Lucas' original script described Vader as a figure with a black cloak, that's it. Plus the film was terrible until it was saved in editing.

Stop putting Lucas on a pedestal.
Yep, this guys got it. George Lucas had NOTHING to do with Star Wars. Fuck all. It was everyone else. Lucas was asleep on set 99% of the time anyways.

jtb

Banned

They're outright awful films, but I agree. It's sad.

I can see where's he's coming from. He wishes George had allowed himself more space to do creative exploits. Which is true - from ANH on, it's mostly Star Wars/Indy stuff, correct? He's not ragging on him, they're still buds. Coppola's just looking out for him.

On another point:

just salty people whose greatest creative endeavor will end up being the result of sperm they deposited into a mostly willing participant.

You're not any better with horseshit like this. It's weird that this thread has become people lashing out at other people for not liking shit they do. The funny thing is, the Coppola fans are acting no less reactionary and childish than the Lucas fans.

Lucas gave his heart and soul to technological advancement. Star Wars was just a little red wagon he could dump his new toys into. Same with Cameron and Avatar.

jett

D-Member
It's funny how the Star Wars fanboys immediately jump into defense force mode despite the fact that what Coppola was talking about has nothing to do with the quality of the prequels.

This thread would be less of a disaster is some of you took 30 seconds to read a couple of paragraphs.

p.s. Coppola has reserved the eternal right to say whatever the fuck he wants.

One of the worst first posts I've ever seen.

Coppola is a god.
Not a general put down of Coppola; he's forty times the filmmaker that Lucas is, but he has taken from the franchise teat as well and really doesn't have much good work to show for the last 30 years, so I doubt Lucas, who has been very richly rewarded for Star Wars and didn't need the money when he made the prequels, is taking his words to heart. Nor should he. Frankly, I'm not convinced Lucas has the talents that Coppola thinks he does.

Also, Coppola is not a god. He has churned out some real stupid crap. Godfather III being just one example.

I would love the opportunity to talk to George Lucas, I'm really fascinated by him. Listening to the commentary tracks for the original Star Wars films he really seems to understand what made them so good (except his comments about CGI) so I would love to know how/why his thought processes changed.

Sanjuro

Fuck you.

You piece of shit Francis.

Fuck you and all your contributions to film because you made a commonly shared opinion.

Fuck you!!

SilentRob

Soooo...do people really not realize that Coppola's complimenting Lucas' strenths as an experimental filmmaker and considers them wasted on a huge blockbuster franchise? That's a compliment. He's not shitting on his friend.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I think that while Coppola is right, George Lucas could never go back to the indie, small movie director. He created the most endeared IP (maybe ever) and I could see from a artist standpoint the difficulty in going back to the smaller scale, even thought GL would flourish in the realm.

yyzjohn

Banned
Coppola and Lucas are friends, he knows what he's talking about, it's not like some outsider that's never spoken to Lucas is making an observation here. Also to the people ripping Coppola as a film maker lol

tchocky

Soooo...do people really not realize that Coppola's complimenting Lucas' strenths as an experimental filmmaker and considers them wasted on a huge blockbuster franchise? That's a compliment. He's not shitting on his friend.

I think that is what might be upsetting people, they are not defending the honour of Lucas but are instead defending Star Wars. After all Star Wars fans have no problem shitting on Lucas.

rhino4evr

Lol George had plenty of time to work on other projects

This. Lucas basically stopped making movies after Jedi. With only a few here and there.

Coppola is being nostalgic here. Lucas was probably "crazy" in his 20s, but like almost everyone he got older and more reserved. To think he would be this big experimental director without Star Wars is a joke

I guarantee if Star Wars would have been a massive bomb, only a small portion of the population would know his work. And it's doubtful he'd even have the funding to make new films.

Lucas became obsessed with technology perfectionism. It shows In the creation of THX, Avids, and ILM, and even the CG heavy prequels.

To think he's this lost Kubrick or something is asinine.

Sapiens

Copolla is amazing

Spielberg is amazing

Lucas is amazing.

They are beardy rich director friends who hang out.

Why the arguing?

You don't have to think he was a lost Kubrick to think there was a more interesting, talented filmmaker who wasted his life making popular dreck. He's not the first nor the last artist to be ruined by having too much success too early.

black_13

Banned
I'm not a big Star Wars fan but isn't the fact that Star Wars is so popular still 30 years later, I'd say that's not a pity.

Lucas has done plenty outside of movies, I'd give him a pass on "wasting" his post ROTJ years for whatever part he played in the creation of Lucasarts.

Georgie should've taken some writing classes and worked a lot more beyond Star Wars. I actually really liked American Grafitti.

He didn't pratice his craft enough.

liquidtmd

Banned
For decades I've heard 'George is wasted on big films / should do small experimental films'.

For decades Star Wars has given him more money than God to experiment and play with whatever he could possibly want.

Have we seen anything remotely resembling the promise of his early work in his regard? No.

George is a technological force of nature and has amazing strengths but this 'going back / would have done brilliantly in the small autuer film market' - don't buy it. He could have indulged himself silly in this regard anytime '83 - '99. Even accounting for the prequels its been 10years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom