• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Miller On Why Superhero Movies Are Better Than Ever

I mean hell the existence of the space age is the result of both America and the Soviet Union stealing Nazi scientists after the war was over

Shaanyboi

Banned
632141main_vonbraun.jpg

ok he created the V2 rocket, so maybe not "good"

but maybe "redeemed"

About the closest you're going to get, really

Gastone

He's right, especially about evil nazis. There is nothing cooler than watching movies where you have evil nazis. They're alot better than those movies with them pesky nice nazis!

I seriously, genuinely do not get the love for WW. I thought it was extremely forgettable, just average movie. Even the "feminist" parts were really forced considering how the entire time the main character was being objectified. I understand its treading new ground since a female superhero hasn't been done like this but I'm hoping Captain Marvel goes beyond the whole gender thing and actually delivers a solid movie.

I mean it's a helluva lot more relevant to his worldview than when people still praise him for Batman: Year One, or Man Without Fear

so?

Frank Miller is an abhorrent fool

he is also one of the greatest comic book writers ever

we dont praise Year one and Man Without Fear because of their politics, we praise them because they are great books

On the internet it seems like every movie needs to be a life-changing experience for it to be considered not garbage. I love the golden age we live in right now.

How is Frank Miller a comic writer but didn't know that was in WWI and the island is called Themyscira?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
so?

we dont praise Year one and Man Without Fear because of their politics, we praise them because they are great books

I love some of his older works but Frank Miller hasn't been out the best material in his career for a long time now and what he has put out is mixed at best and at worst just ugly tripe. Its been a long time since Ronin and his Batman work.

I love some of his older works but Frank Miller hasn't been out the best material in his career for a long time now and what he has put out is mixed at best and at worst just ugly tripe. Its been a long time since Ronin and his Batman work.

But all it takes is one good work and you are immortalized, his newer work doesn't ruin how good his older work

just like the crap Spielberg spews now a days doesn't ruin the legacy of Raiders or Jurassic Park

HStallion

But all it takes is one good work and you are immortalized, his newer work doesn't ruin how good his older work

just like the crap Spielberg spews now a days doesn't ruin the legacy of Raiders or Jurassic Park

Yeah and it takes one piece of bigoted trash like Holy Terror, and that's not the only one, to make me forever question whether I should even bother with him. Also Spielberg's crap is not some racist trash, its just not a great film.

Wat, indeed.
No, I was referring to this.
Posted during a time when Israel was firing indiscriminately into neighborhoods.

Jesus Christ, can this not happen for one goddamn thread loosely related to Gal Gadot? A nice thread about a little girl meeting her hero was already ruined by this shit a couple days ago. You guys need your own "Gal Gadot hates Palastine!!!11!!!" OT or something.

i still prefer Burton's Batman. there hasn't been a comic book film as fun, sexy, and crazy as Batman Returns. GOTG comes close tho...

Miller saying this is the best era for superhero movies is not very surprising. his bank account is mad swelling. he is at Comic Con - what is he going to do, not hype up the incoming product? this is as unexpected as the CEO of Coca Cola declaring they have the world's best soft drink and brand awareness is at an all time high.

It's hard to tell how much is Frank Miller and how much is Brian Azzarello, but Dark Knight III is at least a big step up from Miller's other recent work.

Yeah and it takes one piece of bigoted trash like Holy Terror, and that's not the only one, to make me forever question whether I should even bother with him. Also Spielberg's crap is not some racist trash, its just not a great film.

I'm not saying he is a good person, you don't have to like him because of his politics

all i'm saying is that it doesn't change the reception of his past work

HStallion

It's hard to tell how much is Frank Miller and how much is Brian Azzarello, but Dark Knight III is at least a big step up from Miller's other recent work.

Notice how I said it wasn't the only thing. He's had a streak for a while now and Holy Terror was just the most grotesquely obvious and on the nose about it.

I'm not saying he is a good person, you don't have to like him because of his politics

all i'm saying is that it doesn't change the reception of his past work

Yeah and he's a can be an incredibly mean spirited and ugly piece of shit or does he get to ride on his laurels till the end of time?

Jesus Christ, can this not happen for one goddamn thread loosely related to Gal Gadot? A nice thread about a little girl meeting her hero was already ruined by this shit a couple days ago. You guys need your own "Gal Gadot hates Palastine!!!11!!!" OT or something.

They don't actually care. They do it to derail topics.

Notice how I said it wasn't the only thing. He's had a streak for a while now and Holy Terror was just the most grotesquely obvious and on the nose about it.

Holy Terror is abhorrent. That's true. It's crazy to think it started as a Batman story.

near

Gold Member
I honestly don't mean to derail the thread but why do people make it abundantly clear that Gal Gadot is Israeli? Like there aren't hundreds of actors/actresses from Israel? Like why does Frank Miller specifically refer to her as "The Israeli actress Gal Gadot". As if she's a mascot for female Israelis in the industry. This isn't the first time I've noticed this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They don't actually care. They do it to derail topics.

Holy Terror is abhorrent. That's true. It's crazy to think it started as a Batman story.

I do care. I wouldn't be interested in Wonder Woman anyway because Man Of Steel put me off DC movies. But yeah, I care.
It probably would have kept me from watching the Fast movies if they didn't kill her off, but Furious 7 was terrible enough to make me give up so it's a moot point.

I honestly don't mean to derail the thread but why do people make it abundantly clear that Gal Gadot is Israeli? Like there aren't hundreds of actors/actresses from Israel? Like why does Frank Miller specifically refer to her as "The Israeli actress Gal Gadot". As if she's a mascot for female Israelis in the industry. This isn't the first time I've noticed this.

She's by a large distance the most famous Israeli actor. I personally couldn't name you any other one, tbh.

Bigfoot

I think it's probably just you that is triggered by this. Take any actress or actor from another country that isn't the USA and look at some articles about them. They are often described as "British/Australian/French/Wherever actress Jane Doe". I just picked Emma Watson at random and searched for her - found a ton of articles that mention where she is from. Gal Gadot is no different than any other actress.

near

Gold Member
She's by a large distance the most famous Israeli actor. I personally couldn't name you any other one, tbh.

Natalie Portman.

I think it's probably just you that is triggered by this. Take any actress or actor from another country that isn't the USA and look at some articles about them. They are often described as "British/Australian/French/Wherever actress Jane Doe". I just picked Emma Watson at random and searched for her - found a ton of articles that mention where she is from. Gal Gadot is no different than any other actress.

I wouldn't say triggered, just curious. Frank Miller isn't a journalist and he's phrasing is far more noticeable than an your average article.

Shaanyboi

Banned
so?

Frank Miller isn't some cog in a greater machine. His works are his works, and as such, his perspective informs them. His better-championed works don't exist in a vacuum from his more regressive material.

Shredderi

Frank Miller isn't some cog in a greater machine. His works are his works, and as such, his perspective informs them. His better-championed works don't exist in a vacuum from his more regressive material.

Eh, I can do a complete separation when I go back to enjoy the great works of good artist even after they have taken the dip into deep end.

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Miller on something right now. He's not wrong. Marvel definitely forced the competition to "up their game", so to say.

Top Bottom