• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frequency |OT| Save The Cop, Solve Some Murders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

HjCwmMn.jpg

Detective Raimy Sullivan has always wanted to prove that she is nothing like her father. In 1996, when Raimy was eight years old, NYPD Officer Frank Sullivan left Raimy and her mother, Julie, behind when he went deep undercover, got corrupted, and got himself killed. Or so the story has always gone. Few people knew about the secret undercover sting operation Frank was really charged with, led by Stan Moreno, who has now risen to Deputy Chief of Police. Frank's former partner, Lieutenant Satch Reyna, is now Raimy's mentor and friend, and he has urged her to let go of the hurt and anger she still feels about Frank's disappearance and death, but the old pain still lingers. Raimy can barely bring herself to discuss Frank, even with her devoted boyfriend, Daniel, or her childhood friend, Gordo. Now, twenty years later, Raimy is stunned when a voice suddenly crackles through her father's old, long-broken ham radio - it's Frank, somehow transmitting over the airwaves and through the decades from 1996. They're both shocked and confused, but Raimy shakes Frank to the core when she warns him that the secret sting he is undertaking will lead to his death. Armed with that knowledge, Frank survives the attempt on his life. But changing history has dramatically affected Raimy's life in the present - and there have been tragic consequences. Separated by twenty years, father and daughter have reunited on a frequency only they can hear, but can they rewrite the story of their lives without risking everyone they love?

Cast
- Peyton List as Raimy Sullivan, an NYPD detective who experiences an unusual weather phenomenon that allows her to communicate with her late father through radio transmissions.[3]
- Riley Smith as Frank Sullivan, Raimy's father and an NYPD detective in 1996. He was killed while working undercover, but was saved when Raimy warned him the night before.
- Mekhi Phifer as Satch Rayna, Frank's former partner who now runs the precinct Raimy works for.
- Anthony Ruivivar as Stan Marano, the deputy chief of police who was responsible for the undercover operation that resulted in Frank's death.
- Lenny Jacobson as Gordo, Raimy's childhood friend.
- Devin Kelley as Julie Sullivan, Raimy's mother and Frank's widow who disappears as a consequence of the butterfly effect.
- Daniel Bonjour as Daniel Lawrence, Raimy's fiancee in 2016.

Joni

Episode 1 - "Pilot" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV) - CW
"SUPERNATURAL'S" JEREMY CARVER BRINGS US A THRILLING NEW DRAMA SERIES STARRING PEYTON LIST ("MAD MEN"), RILEY SMITH ("NASHVILLE") AND MEKHI PHIFER ("ER") - Detective Raimy Sullivan (Peyton List) has always wanted to prove that she is nothing like her father. In 1996, when Raimy was 8 years old, NYPD Officer Frank Sullivan (Riley Smith) left Raimy and her mother, Julie (Devin Kelley), behind when he went deep undercover, got corrupted, and got himself killed. Or so the story has always gone. Few people knew about the secret undercover sting operation Frank was really charged with, led by Stan Moreno (Anthony Ruivivar), who has now risen to Deputy Chief of Police. Frank's former partner, Lieutenant Satch Reyna (Mekhi Phifer), is now Raimy's mentor and friend, and he has urged her to let go of the hurt and anger she still feels about Frank's disappearance and death, but the old pain still lingers. Raimy can barely bring herself to discuss Frank, even with her devoted boyfriend, Daniel (Daniel Bonjour), or her childhood friend, Gordo (Lenny Jacobson). Now, twenty years later, Raimy is stunned when a voice suddenly crackles through her father's old, long-broken ham radio - it's Frank, somehow transmitting over the airwaves and through the decades from 1996. They're both shocked and confused, but Raimy shakes Frank to the core when she warns him that the secret sting he is undertaking will lead to his death. Armed with that knowledge, Frank survives the attempt on his life. But changing history has dramatically affected Raimy's life in the present - and there have been tragic consequences. Separated by 20 years, father and daughter have reunited on a frequency only they can hear, but can they rewrite the story of their lives without risking everyone they love? Brad Anderson directed the episode written by Jeremy Carver (#101). Original airdate 10/5/2016.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thanks for the thread, Joni. I'm a fan of the movie, so I'm down to give this a chance. Feels like a premise that would actually work quite well as a tv procedural.

Meh, I kinda wish the CW would pick the Tomorrow People back up. I loved Peyton List in that.

Dunno if Robbie Amell would be available for it, though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Love time travel to death, as well the concept of just old manipulating the past, but the CW is a big res flag for me.

TripOpt55

Thought the pilot was okay, but things constantly shifting in the present could be pretty awesome, so I'm excited to see how this show goes.

This and Timeless have me the most excited about time travel shows.

Finally, people are actually doing something with the concept on a weekly format.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Does the depiction of 20 years ago make anyone else feel old now? (Kind of like how for those of us alive for the first Back to the Future, its past was as long ago as its present is now for us.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pilot episode started shaky but it won me over. It actually had the same issue that I had with the premiere of Timeless where you're thrown into the oremise so quickly without establishing the characters. But this did all the setup as it went and it worked for me. They were even able to squeeze in a season long villain in there that personally affected the protagonist. Just a lot of cool little time travel things happened here that I didn't get from Timeless at all.

Not optimistic about this getting renewed but I think I'll enjoy the ride while it's around.

Loved it. Saw the movie years ago, and thought it was a fun idea then, too. Like timeless, it did feel a bit too rushed and could have used a 2-parter

I watched the movie years ago, but don't remember a lot from it. I know I found it to be decent, though.

The idea is intriguing, so I watched the first episode yesterday morning. It was alright. Nothing special, but it had its moments so I'll keep with it.

Joni

Liked the pilot, including the impact of her acts. Certainly seems to do the movie some justice.

-Deimos

So glad Netflix Canada picked this up, I wasn't looking forward to watching it through a vpn. Loved the pilot and how quickly things got set up. Definitely looking forward to the rest.

Decided to post this here, and not the cancellations thread, since the numbers are basically RIP anyway.

Personally, I blame the first ten minutes for that, with the narration from black, the slow eye-move upward with sound jump, the immediate pass into morning sex scene, and OF COURSE! she's a detective (aaaaaaargh, cliché motherfucker, do you know them? @writer). And musical montages to finish it off. You have to tolerate that for ten minutes, and then, some other show seems to start.
Once the conversation starts going, you get something interesting going, the editing changes, the music montage crap is gone, it's like it suddenly decided to be a different show. But that doesn't matter because nobody is going to stick around if the first five to ten minutes don't convince them to stay. It's weird, because in terms of complex time-travel chess game, this could be something great. Just that start... jeez.

Not that it surviving for another season is a question looking at those premier numbers.
Then again, No Tomorrow didn't do so hot either, and that one's pretty great. #SaveGalavantAgain

I hope Frequency can find some footing that's more based in the second half of the pilot though. That half deserves to live.

Liked the pilot well enough, shame about the ratings I hope it improves at least it wasn't as big of a drop off from Arrow as No Tomorrow was from Flash. :(

Ricker

So glad Netflix Canada picked this up, I wasn't looking forward to watching it through a vpn. Loved the pilot and how quickly things got set up. Definitely looking forward to the rest.

Yeah,was surprised to see this on Netflix this morning,made sure it wasnt the whole season lol...

And yeah,I wasnt expecting much but that first episode was pretty good I thought,I hope it keeps up...

Yeah Netflix UK picked this up too, I'll check it out later but man Netflix UK have been on the ball with picking up American shows this season.

EDIT: Pilot was ok but I'll wait until the full season is out for this as there's too much stuff at the moment.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 2 "Signal and Noise"

Raimy tells Frank, over the ham radio, that her mom will be murdered unless he can find a way to warn her; Frank gets bad news about Stan Moreno; Raimy follows a lead in the Nightingale case, while Frank and Satch follow the same lead in 1996.
- Promo for this week's episode.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So as a both a huge fan of the movie and the Mets, I was happy to see that element left intact. However, if hey kept the 30-year gap, they could have used the 1986 World Series, which would have been perfect. But god forbid the CW have a protagonist over the age of 30. This show would have been better served on another network.

Joni

So as a both a huge fan of the movie and the Mets, I was happy to see that element left intact. However, if hey kept the 30-year gap, they could have used the 1986 World Series, which would have been perfect. But god forbid the CW have a protagonist over the age of 30. This show would have been better served on another network.

It would have no added value. At all. The difference between 96 and 16 is already very big in development.

IISANDERII

Just watched the pilot and it seems above average. The multiple timelines are complicated without being confusing.

I like how they use hit songs from the era, glad they did the licensing.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 3 "The Near Far Problem"

Raimy informs Frank of new information she uncovered in the Thomas Goff case, prompting him to take action in spite of Satch's warnings. Meanwhile, Gordo and Raimy go out for drinks, where they have a strange encounter with Daniel; and Raimy struggles to adapt to life without Julie.

AzureSky

God, i wanted to punch her badly when she (ep2)
just sat there and didnt say anything. Few hours before it was insanely importand to warn her mother, but things change i guess...

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 4 "Bleed Over"

With the date of Julie's abduction rapidly approaching, Raimy and Frank each work to gather information from a girl whose mother was taken by the Nightingale. Meanwhile, Raimy meets Kyle who immediately remembers her from a brief encounter in the past. She doesn't recognize him at first, but flashes of their night together come rushing back to her.

Carcetti

Noticed this on Netflix today and watched the first episode. Start was terrible but I ended up liking it. Nice use of time travel, pleasant atmosphere, not quite too sappy.

zoukka

Watched the first episode, it was ok, but nothing stuck with me so I won't continue. This feels like a series you watch only if you have a lot of time to kill.

-Deimos

Yeah dude, pull out your gun and badge in the middle of the street as soon as you get out of your car. There's no way that will backfire.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 5 "Seven Three"

When Frank helps Raimy uncover clues from the past to help solve a present day murder case, it brings up two different memories of her first day in the NYPD. Through Frank, Raimy continues to learn more about Stan which begins to cause friction with Satch. Meanwhile, Frank has trouble controlling his jealousy as he struggles to give Julie her space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom