• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software has 3 internal projects: 1 ARPG ala DS, 1 reboot & 1 new IP

Gbraga

Denying the fact that fromsoft does (or rather HAS TO) rehash a ton of it's assets and themes to make these games on an annual basis

They do, but it's not exclusive to Dark Souls III, it's only more apparent because it's the same engine as Bloodborne, that's what bothers me. People are quick to call it "Bloodborne assets", as if this game began production in April 2015. It's being made since 2013, it shared development time with Bloodborne for a while. They're shared assets, not just reused.

When Abyss Watchers shared much of the Lady Maria boss fight, do you really think they only started working on the first Lord of Cinder you fight in late 2015? It's more likely that the Bloodborne DLC team found it interesting and decided to borrow it for Lady Maria.

It's not like they finished The Old Hunters and tried to slap together a bunch of shit to release another game in April 2016. The amount of thought behind so much of Dark Souls III that gets dismissed amazes me. Levels like the Cathedral of the Deep, the Undead Settlement and Lothric Castle/Grand Archives don't design themselves.

The fact that they decided to reference the Storm Bringer in the Yhorm fight doesn't make it any less work to actually implement it. They could change the name and make it a slightly different dumb gimmick, but they decided to make a reference. It really makes no difference.

I guess it's mostly franchise fatigue that lead people to look at it with more cynicism. Let's look at Bloodborne: Oh, you have a separate HUB to level up, lol, just copied Demon's Souls. I guess it's too hard to make it part of the world, they're just rehashing an idea and taking the quick way out. Central Yharnam? More like Anor London, am I right? Manus returns, now on top of a bridge! Cleric Beast song used on another boss again? Can't Sony afford composers? Another forest level! Another boss made of regular enemies, and another humanoid parriable boss at that! Oh, now we're teleporting, connecting the world is too hard.

Final boss, cool, it's a humanoid dude that can be parried and has jump attacks. Gwyn 2.0!

It sounds a bit ridiculous, and of course it was hyperbole, but we literally have people calling Dark Souls III out for its hub being the Nexus 2.0, for not as connected world, for revisiting places and level concepts (another poisonous swamp, yay!) and so on.

Some of the things mentioned in my hyperbole were actually things said prerelease, like comparing the Cleric Beast to Manus, Central Yharnam to Anor Londo and the hub to the Nexus, the difference is that people were hyped out of their minds while making those comparisons, they were absolutely excited about them!

I'm sorry but Ds1 was the same. 90 percent of item description had almost zero relevance in the plot, but full relevance in the lore. Ds3 is like the same.

Exactly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh hello Stormbringer from DES1 in a way less impactful boss fight
Yeah, Storm King was a great boss fight especially on replays...
said no one ever

Hello Catacombs and Izalith (that one super important place) designed like the most boring chalice dungeon
Agreed that the Catacombs are weaker in terms of design than in DS1's, but Izalith? Really? Are you really going to argue that the level design of Izalith in DS1 was good? I mean no, it wasn't very good in DS3 either, but at least it didn't have giant dinosaur butts and eye-gouging blinding lava!

Souls 3 is a good game but there's absolutely no surprises for someone who has played previous games, as almost everything falls into a predictable formula now
...It's a sequel. Name me a part 3 game that had tons of surprises and was totally unpredictable (difficulty: said sequel must not suck/have disappointed the fans).

In any case, for me, the Yhorm/Stormruler fight was certainly a surprise, as I wasn't expecting that. I didn't expect giant crabs. Discovering Irithyll was also breath-taking and I wasn't expecting it. The additions to PvP like mad phantoms etc. was pretty cool. I wasn't even expecting to revisit
Anor Londo
, that was a genuinely awesome moments when the words appeared on the screen after all that build-up.
Dark Firelink
made me go "wut", and was fairly intriguing. The cursewood tree boss and High Lord Wolnir were certainly unique, as was the Nameless King and L&L.

And I certainly didn't expect a Souls game to have a
"wedding ceremony"|
!! Now that took me aback quite a bit (in a good way, since its take on it was, shall we say, quite unique and very Dark Souls-like!).

The only part I found a bit too "generic" for me was the last boss. It was fun and very challenging, mind, but from an artistic design point of view I thought he looked too generic and predictable. I don't mind much because at least the gameplay part was solid.

But yeah the disappointing aspects of DS3 have nothing to do with predictability or whatever. It's more the fact that they didn't improve the netcode, that they included two completely redundant (and broken) covenants, that they exaggerated the downsides of invading, that Izalith wasn't improved a bit more (I mean it's still less bad than in DS1, but I'll concede it wasn't great), that a few QoL improvements from DS2 are missing. Which, overall, isn't nearly enough for me to consider the game disappointing, as it excels in every other area.

Annoyed that the reboot is all but confirmed to be Armored Core (Unles that's the ARPG lol).

Though the New IP could just be a New IP For the West...

latest

Gbraga

I don't know about the series he's mentioned, but Dark Souls 3 feels very derivative.

There's a lot of recycled armors, weapons, spells. A lot of the environments feel like rehashes: High Wall <-> Undead Burb, Grand Archive <-> Duke's Archives, Catacombs of Carthus <-> Catacombs, Farron's Keep <-> Blighttown.

Some elements of Dark Souls 3 we've seen in BB, like the Eclipse vs. Paleblood Moon.

As much as people like to criticize DSII, it was quite creative in how it changed things up. Unfortunately dual stancing, we've lost during the transition.

I'm ok with power stance being out, but for a weird reason. I like that it makes it something special about Dark Souls II. I want to have reasons to replay all of the games, I don't want the new release making the previous one relevant. So it's kinda nice that they all have some individual strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah, Storm King was a great boss fight especially on replays...
said no one ever

I didn't even think about that before.

I might cut Yhorm some slack from now on, keeping that in mind.

And I certainly didn't expect a Souls game to have a
"wedding ceremony"|
!! Now that took me aback quite a bit (in a good way, since its take on it was, shall we say, quite unique and very Dark Souls-like!).

That was so awesome. Damn you, From Software! Hahaha.

I'm glad
I didn't get to marry Yuria
now.

Anri was a nice dude, though, he has a great voice, too. Probably the only Souls 3 husbando. I love Lucy Briggs-Owen, but I think I prefer the male voice.

The only part I found a bit too "generic" for me was the last boss. It was fun and very challenging, mind, but from an artistic design point of view I thought he looked too generic and predictable. I don't mind much because at least the gameplay part was solid.

Not a big fan either.

I mean, it wasn't bad, but
Gehrman, Gwyn and even the Moon Presence
are better final bosses, imo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope whatever RPG they do has an even bigger emphasis on horror. Make it medieval horror with cool combat and stats.

I'm in this same boat really. A lot of people think I must hate Bloodborne because of the way I treat it here but like, some things should be left alone. There are so many people on this board that complain about things being milked or having too many sequels but clamor for Bloodborne 2, I just don't see anywhere else it could go and it was a complete package, it doesn't NEED anything else and if it ever does come out people are going to bitch and moan forever that it doesn't live up to the first so at that point why bother, just play Bloodborne again. Bloodborne was good because it was new and different compared to its predecessors even if it's differences mechanically were technically minimal. So why not let them do that again with a new ARPG instead of clamoring for a sequel to something that's pretty complete and has already been done. It's just silly to me and fairly irritating when it's the only topic of speculation and debate in these threads no matter how relevant it is.

Preach!

PREACH! I'm glad Im not the only one who picked up on the forgetfulness of Ds3 in terms of Drangleic. Its very clearly an obvious poke.

vetrox

A VR mech game from From would be real ideal. Especially if they use some of that neat communication systems in Chromehounds. If Miyazaki was behind it, and it was in a Escaflowne-esque world... oh gosh.

I just rewatched Escaflowne half a year ago! Still holds up.

Hmm, it's too bad that Miyazaki probably explicitly means "western medieval" when he says "dark fantasy", as I would rather like a weird ARPG Tenchu in a Mythic Asia setting.

.JayZii

Banned
Sounds good! Although, I hope the dark fantasy is different enough from Souls and Bloodborne to stand out. I don't want them to overuse that aesthetic.

Also, I had to laugh at the slightly awkward translation of the last sentence. Japanese say "must" or "have to" with double negatives. So instead of saying, "We can't not/we don't have the option to not" saying, "We've got to make a new one", sounds a little more natural in English.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
MGS3, GTA3 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory spring to mind. ;)

Not that I'm siding with the poster. Just sayin'.
I agree with MGS3 but the others leave me cold and indifferent. Anyway, you get my point, yes? That it's silly to expect a sequel to be drastically different and wildly unpredictable? Good if they are and it still works, but for the most part it's not necessary, so long as the game itself is great.

Nice to see they are working on what sounds like another Souls game. I need my fix!

Oh, and I see that this has turned into another let's shit on Souls X thread. For the record, I'd like to say that I love all of Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls II and Dark Souls III to death

Mendax

Will From Software be on E3? Do we know when we will get some new info about their future games?

kadokawa conference later today/tonight/tomorrow morning depending on where you live

(possibility, nothing confirmed)

Sesha

Will From Software be on E3? Do we know when we will get some new info about their future games?

Kadokawa's doing their thing, and it's possible one of From's two supposed Sony-funded games, according to Verendus, will be at Sony's presser.

...It's a sequel. Name me a part 3 game that had tons of surprises and was totally unpredictable (difficulty: said sequel must not suck/have disappointed the fans).

Devil May Cry 3. But it's a special case since no one knew what to expect after 2 anyway.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
He explicitly said no Kingsfield lmao. Wonder what"different angle" he could mean though since I doubt it refers to camera angle. Maybe more fantasy than dark?

Maybe more contemporary weaponry, say..guns? Shadow Tower sequel confirmed.

Top Bottom