• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, help me get into beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle made me get into beer:
1134.JPG

Lots of excellent suggestions in here, but I'll add that from my experience Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout has never failed to win someone over.

This. Know it's been recommended a few times, but for good cause. It is a good gateway into a bunch of other flavors. It isn't as sweet as that Dragon's Milk you posted though, and a little more bitter, but not so much that I think you wouldn't like it. Enough so that it may expand your tastes to other things you may not have liked before. Or something.

Want to try something a bit more expensive, not a stout, but still easy to find? Rochefort 10 is great, and just about everywhere that I have been. My favorite of the actually available to buy everywhere trappist beers.

Also, here is a pic of something that I'm sure you would love, but you aren't going to be able to get, just to taunt.

FnhuuPF.jpg

HiResDes

Shakespeare Stout is insanely good, and it's also a bit lite for a stout, which is a con for some people but I think it makes it unique. Old Rasputin is my favorite beer though real talk. Left Hand Milk Stout is pretty good too.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Ninkasi - Oatis
Youngs - Double Chocolate Stout
Southern Tier - Choklat, Oat
Rogue - Shakespeare Stout
Boss - Black Boss Porter
Deschutes - The Abyss, Black Butte Porter
Lagunitas - Imperial Stout, Cappucino Stout
Alameda - Black Bear XX Stout
Alaskan - Baltic Porter
Stone - Smoked Porter
Samuel Smith - Oatmeal Stout

What a solid list. I'm keeping this for future reference.

Oh, is this worth the pretty steep amount of money my local shop asks?

It's my fave next to the Rochefort 10. Whether it's worth it or not is more of a personal thing. I tend to buy smaller quantities of potentially overpriced beer rather than cheap stuff, so I don't mind shelling out some extra for a beer that extravagant. That said, first time I picked it up I hadn't seen the tag and was super pissed that it was so expensive, until I tasted it. Then I went back and got a bunch more for cellaring.

Milchjon

It's my fave next to the Rochefort 10. Whether it's worth it or not is more of a personal thing. I tend to buy smaller quantities of potentially overpriced beer rather than cheap stuff, so I don't mind shelling out some extra for a beer that extravagant. That said, first time I picked it up I hadn't seen the tag and was super pissed that it was so expensive, until I tasted it. Then I went back and got a bunch more for cellaring.

Hmmm hmmm hmmm, fuck fuck fuck.

Since the store opened a few weeks ago, I have spent about twice as much money on beer as on food, even though I never even really drank beyond a light buzz in that time period. This will lead to my downfall.

Kevtones

start cheap, go to TJOES, buy the following for $6

Boatswain Chocalate Stout
Boatswain American IPA
Mission St. Hefeweizen

See how those fit you. They're all good beers and diverse.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I've basically abstained from beer (and most alcohol) my entire life because for the most part I have the taste buds of an 8-year-old. I love sweet beverages and I'm not a huge fan of bitterness...at least not when it's the dominant flavor.

My wife is a big beer drinker and lately I've found that when I sample whatever she's having I'm liking it more and more - not always, of course. She'll have something bitter enough to make me cringe every once in a while (FYI, my threshold for unpleasantly bitter probably starts at...grapefruit).

Now, I know jack shit about beer and I've been trying to educate myself, but I figured I'd entreaty GAF for help. Things I enjoy in a beer:
  • a rich, foamy head
  • mild flavor
  • sweet flavor notes - vanilla, chocolate, etc.
  • most of the beer I've liked has been quite dark

dragons-milk.jpg

In my experience, the best beer I've ever had has been the "Dragon's Milk" oak barrel ale from New Holland brewing company. ABV is 10% and contains those aforementioned notes of chocolate and vanilla. Has anyone ever tried it? Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might like? I realize the information I provided is quite limited. Thanks.

Tates and smells like smores. Really.

Got this a while ago from a BevMo. Really good, the blueberries are really present.

also, if you wanna get away from the stouts

From a small brewery in my hometown, but if you can get them, these are good. The Golden is brewed with honey is really nice. The Scottish-style ale is my all time favorite drink, incredibly sweet and smooth..

Really hate how Indiana still bans alcohol purchases on Sunday. It's the only day off I have all week...A lot of these posts have inspired me to go out and try something new.

kidko

Austin is soooo into hoppy beers, I don't get it. It's like it's own thing.

I drank stouts all winter, but time for something new.

It's true! I got into IPA finally after living in Austin a while. It's kind of like "learning to like" beer all over again, but once you do...! mmm Fire Eagle

Do you live in Michigan, OP? If so you'll be spoilt for choice.

My advice is to find a local brewpub or biergarden & sample eveything. Most places will let you taste a bot of everything.

For something light, airy and a bit sweeter:

FZ6xv63.jpg

EDIT: Well maybe these wont satisfy the vanilla/chocalate-y sweet, but still worth giving a try.

I tried this, too. Probably the most refreshing beer I've ever had. Tried it at an outdoors bar during a light summer rain, it was perfect.

Deified Data I am going to pass along a beer I have had a long term love affair with: Fin du Monde from Unibroue in Quebec Canada. It's not dark, but it has everything else that you asked for in your OP. + High ABV.

You should be able to find it with relative ease at any retailer that has a selection of microbrews. If you try it let me know your thoughts!

Cheers~

Deified Data I am going to pass along a beer I have had a long term love affair with: Fin du Monde from Unibroue in Quebec Canada. It's not dark, but it has everything else that you asked for in your OP. + High ABV.

You should be able to find it with relative ease at any retailer that has a selection of microbrews. If you try it let me know your thoughts!

Cheers~

I'll definitely keep an eye out, thanks.

Newcastle made me get into beer:
1134.JPG

New castle sort of feel flat to me. Not offensive or bad, per se...but it was like drinking a Pepsi when you could have a homemade root beer, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom