• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, in your opinion do we need PS5 Pro?

Is a PS5 Pro necessary?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

With the entire industry having spectacularly failed at having justified the existence of these new consoles so far (since almost all, if not all, of their games could run on previous gen consoles almost as is, with only graphical cutbacks necessary), I ask myself what the point of a PS5 Pro is. Do we actually need one when we haven't seen any game that properly justifies the PS5 base yet?

We are in the era of "diminishing returns" and the PS4 and Xbox One level of tech and visuals seems more than capable of keeping up with the design demands of current games. With game budgets already so high that even a hit game like Spider-Man 2 didn't break even until selling more than 7 million units, and studios taking 5+ years to make one game, even an iterative one, do we want to push those things even higher with new hardware?

I am sure the PS5 Pro will come out and do well because at this point anything Sony puts out is lapped up and defended to hell by their fanbase, but the question isn't that, GAF, the question is, do we need a PS5 Pro?

DryvBy

Not at all, however, I'll end up getting one if it hits before GTA 6 because I need to buy a 2nd system for my wife at that point. If its not there, no big loss imo.

Eimran

I haven't got a PS5 yet and I'm waiting for the pro.

But if it didn't come I wouldn't be mad. We enjoyed 20 years of console gaming without intermediates and we did just fine.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
For them to experiment with PSSR and try to perfect that shit before PS6 rolls around

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

For me, there is only a few things that can create hype like new hardware. In that regard, the PS5 Pro is "needed" because it will help to not get hopelessly behind PC and stuff like DLSS. Beyond that, the PS5 will be more than enough for most people, and few games that need the power will be as good as the next Astro bot. Still a day one for me, and I can't wait for more info about it.
For them to experiment with PSSR and try to perfect that shit before PS6 rolls around

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews
Hell Yeah Yes GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
If it comes with a boost mode that makes elden ring framerate more stable, I'd upgrade.

People here would bitch and moan, but if they put out a bunch of PS5Pro exclusive performance patches for PS4 games that haven't been updated (like Bloodborne), they could move a bunch of units.

Fbh

See in theory I don't think we need one. If devs focused more on gameplay and nice art direction instead of "graphics" I think the base Ps5 is more than capable of providing nice looking games with decent IQ at 60fps.

But since that's not the focus of most of the AAA industry I definitely think we need a pro. The Ps5 has only "not been pushed" if you are fine going back to Ps4 era standards of 1080p-ish and 30-ish fps. If you actually want good performance and decent IQ we have already seen plenty of examples of games not running very well.
Just to name a few: FFXVI, Dragons Dogma 2, FF7 Rebirth, Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Jedi Survivor , etc
Tons of games with heavily compromised performance modes, and with a lot of UE5 game son the way it's only going to get worse.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I skipped the previous incremental upgrades. Some people sell their systems and get the upgrade for a somewhat reasonable price though, so it will have it's audience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, but if there is one, I wouldn't mind it, I don't plan to buy one but I know other folks here who are.

Last edited:

Edellus

Necessary? No. But "necessity" is not a popular reason to acquire luxury items.

As for the industry's cost problem, I hope it will stabilize down the road. With game engines, like UE5, making it easier to produce edge cutting graphics. There's also de advent of AI which can help in most aspects of game development. So even though having hardware capable of high end graphics, it is not the culprit of the cost problem. It is the demand that produces these hardwares and the games, not the other way around.

Personally, I want a PS5 Pro to play games with their performance and graphical issues mostly ironed out. There are certain games I've been withholding from playing, hoping that they get a PS5 Pro patch to play them for the very first time in their best state possible. RT and extras would be a very nice bonus, but not my main attraction.

Would I rather devs could optimize their games and take the most advantage of of every possible platform? Of course, but in the current state of the industry I have more faith on the hardware brute forcing these issues than the devs having the budget to create perfectly optimized games while still having cutting edge graphics.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
If it allows Housemarque to add more fluid simulation and particle effects, why not!

Last edited:
Yes.

Tons of games will get patched with higher fidelity to preserve for BC purposes on PS6 and beyond

It provides value even if you don’t get a pro but wait till ps6

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, we need a PS6 that can actually handle native 4k at 60+ fps, RT included. Enough with 30 fps shit.
Not picking on you but I am surprised to read this from anyone who has been playing videogames for a while. Two main reasons. One, this stuff is relative. The PS5 can run PS4 Pro games at 4K/60fps without a problem. But PS4 Pro level settings are no longer good enough. Right now we see UE5 crushing the consoles, right? Welll, the PS6 will likely handle it with ease, except by then, much more will be demanded. Graphics are not going to stop advancing so fixed platforms can catch up. Two, not even 4090s are running games at native 4K quite often. That is a $1600 GPU so in what world is a $500 console going to do it? We are in a world of sub-native resolutions and fancy algorithmic upscaling and that is not going to go away.

Last edited:

vivftp

The Pro will set the stage for tech that will eventually find its way into the PS6, like PSSR. It's apparent emphasis on RT will help devs with upgrading their engines to better utilize RT so they'll be ready for next gen as well.

For those buying the Pro, we'll no longer be forced to choose between quality and performance modes, we can have both combined into one definitive experience. PSVR2 games should get a boost with more native res games and probably better graphics.

It should be the best possible way to experience GTA6 at launch as well, so it's gonna be a desirable console if only for that

We don't need the Pro like we need air. I need the Pro because I want the best option for playing my games.

DonF

Gold Member
last gen I jumped on the ps4pro day one, the ps4 felt like it launched outdated. But now, no. I would love it if dev would take advantage of current tech. ps5 doesnt feel outdated, feels more like devs cant get around to develop proper games. There are games that look great and run great.

I personally don't care about 4k, I think is very  very overrated.
But if the PS5 Pro can play EVERY GAME in 60fps, then I would get one. Performance is the only thing I care about.

But I understand that both can coexist, and if the PS5 Pro could hypothetically do both, that would be cool.

I'm not interested in the PS5 at all as is.

Perrott

The resolution of true current-gen, high-end PS5 games is unacceptable.

Anyone that thinks that playing Final Fantasy XVI at 30fps at resolutions and image quality below those of, say, The Last Of Us Part II on PS4 Pro is okay for a current generation machine is just out of their fucking mind and should not be taken seriously in any tech-related discussion going forward.

And that's without getting into how the regular PS5 is simply unable to deliver transformative RT presentations across the biggest games without severe compromises when it comes to image quality.

The PS5 Pro can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Totally pointless, I can’t see any benefit to releasing a pro model.

On an unrelated note, which PS5 graphics mode do you guys prefer? “Quality” 4K 30FPS, 1440p 60FPS? Or 1080p performance raytracing mode?

CobraAB

With Sony's somewhat lack of 1st party announcements, I am not really seeing the need for a PS5 update.

Little Mac

I bought a Slim late last year and love it. But I’d probably trade up if given the chance. Depends of how much of a performance boost it provides and if Helldivers 2 gets enhanced.

LakeOf9

We don't need the Pro like we need air. I need the Pro because I want the best option for playing my games.
So why are you playing on consoles at all?

I know this is bait but what on earth are you talking about?
I find the ignore list to be very handy for posters like that (and the other manchildren whining about DEI/Sweet Baby/wokeness/whatever other buzzword they like to use). They're basically Era level toxic, but in the exact opposite direction

Alebrije

Yea but only Will Buy it of it manages 60 FPS 4K , no need to be Ray tracing capable , that is not a must for me . RT is great but there are other Old lighting metods that just work.

Top Bottom