• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 slim still has production issues :(

Dir your first PS5 also had such issues?

• It was silent (no issues)

Votes: 67 71.3%
  • Coil wine (returned it)

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Coil wine but kept it

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Other issues (description in the thread)

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters

//DEVIL//

People are far more likely to be vocal when they have an issue compared to when they don’t, just saying.
Sure but that goes both ways. some people if they have an issue about something do not write a review about it, and they just return it. so my voice isn't heard / or written in this case ( I am one of them. I do not ever recall writing a review either positive or negative on a review page of a product.

but that doesn't eliminate the fact that people are having issues. it only means that these people were so stressed off and pissed about it to the point they actually devoted some time to express their frustration with the system. That is actually worse.

Its a well-known fact anyway that the Slim has louder fan noise due to its smaller size and smaller fan.

the best PS5 you can get is the 1200 Series. it was quite amazing in terms of heat and noise compared to all the other systems. followed by the 1000 series and the 1100 series is dead last that you should avoid if possible ( was the same nod of the 1000 but with less heat sink. while the 1200 series is the same updated nm apu that is available in the slim but with bigger fan and housing for better cooling )

Little Mac

Got my Slim late last year. No issues at all with noise. Only audio noise I’ve heard is the disc drive spinning up occasionally. I have had issues with the pulse elite headset dongle thing disconnecting but that hasn’t happened in a while. Maybe an update fixed it. So far my only big gripe is the console’s aesthetic, but once I got past it I’ve been having a blast.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
What is coil whine and why can't it be removed?
You remind me of my daughter. She will ask some question such as this, and I respond, "you literally have all of humanity's knowledge on a device in your pocket and you are asking me".

You could find your answer in seconds using Brave Search AI summary.

What is coil whine and why can't it be removed?​

Coil whine is an unpleasant, high-pitched noise that occurs when an electrical component, typically a coil or choke, begins to vibrate due to the energy flowing through it. This vibration creates a sound that is often described as a whine, hum, or buzz. Coil whine is commonly found in voltage regulators, power supplies, and graphics cards, particularly in high-performance systems.
Why can’t coil whine be removed?
Coil whine is a natural phenomenon that occurs when the electrical component is subjected to the flow of energy. The vibration caused by the energy flow is what creates the noise. While there are some methods to reduce or mask the noise, it is challenging to completely eliminate coil whine. Here are some reasons why:
  • Physical properties of coils: Coils are designed to operate within a specific frequency range, and their natural resonance can cause them to vibrate and produce noise.
  • Electromagnetic interference (EMI): The flow of energy through the coil can create electromagnetic interference, which can cause the coil to vibrate and produce noise.
  • Material properties: The materials used to construct the coil, such as copper or aluminum, can contribute to the noise due to their inherent properties.
  • Design limitations: The design of the coil and its surrounding components can also contribute to the noise, making it difficult to eliminate.
While some methods, such as applying thermal paste or modifying the coil’s design, can help reduce coil whine, these solutions are not always effective and may have unintended consequences. In some cases, coil whine can be masked or reduced, but it is not possible to completely eliminate it.

Bojji

Gold Member
Sure but that goes both ways. some people if they have an issue about something do not write a review about it, and they just return it. so my voice isn't heard / or written in this case ( I am one of them. I do not ever recall writing a review either positive or negative on a review page of a product.

but that doesn't eliminate the fact that people are having issues. it only means that these people were so stressed off and pissed about it to the point they actually devoted some time to express their frustration with the system. That is actually worse.

Its a well-known fact anyway that the Slim has louder fan noise due to its smaller size and smaller fan.

the best PS5 you can get is the 1200 Series. it was quite amazing in terms of heat and noise compared to all the other systems. followed by the 1000 series and the 1100 series is dead last that you should avoid if possible ( was the same nod of the 1000 but with less heat sink. while the 1200 series is the same updated nm apu that is available in the slim but with bigger fan and housing for better cooling )

11xx is not worse than 10xx. I think it was proven thar they perform more or less the same (despite heatsink differences).

Trilobit

Gold Member
You remind me of my daughter. She will ask some question such as this, and I respond, "you literally have all of humanity's knowledge on a device in your pocket and you are asking me".

You could find your answer in seconds using Brave Search AI summary.

What is coil whine and why can't it be removed?​

Coil whine is an unpleasant, high-pitched noise that occurs when an electrical component, typically a coil or choke, begins to vibrate due to the energy flowing through it. This vibration creates a sound that is often described as a whine, hum, or buzz. Coil whine is commonly found in voltage regulators, power supplies, and graphics cards, particularly in high-performance systems.
Why can’t coil whine be removed?
Coil whine is a natural phenomenon that occurs when the electrical component is subjected to the flow of energy. The vibration caused by the energy flow is what creates the noise. While there are some methods to reduce or mask the noise, it is challenging to completely eliminate coil whine. Here are some reasons why:
  • Physical properties of coils: Coils are designed to operate within a specific frequency range, and their natural resonance can cause them to vibrate and produce noise.
  • Electromagnetic interference (EMI): The flow of energy through the coil can create electromagnetic interference, which can cause the coil to vibrate and produce noise.
  • Material properties: The materials used to construct the coil, such as copper or aluminum, can contribute to the noise due to their inherent properties.
  • Design limitations: The design of the coil and its surrounding components can also contribute to the noise, making it difficult to eliminate.
While some methods, such as applying thermal paste or modifying the coil’s design, can help reduce coil whine, these solutions are not always effective and may have unintended consequences. In some cases, coil whine can be masked or reduced, but it is not possible to completely eliminate it.

But I like the personal touch a human can give to the information...

Qc8kEpU.jpeg

LordOfChaos

My first PS5 I thought was silent when I got it, but then I started to be able to hear the fan whoosh from couch distance after a few months, and coil whine up close. I replaced it with a Slim for fun now, it's quieter, I can still make out the fan whoosh on some game menus but it's overall quieter. It's too bad Sony doesn't just solve the coil whine issue once and for all, but I haven't noticed it on my Slim unit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This an actual thing?
Interesting, other then the expected disc spinning which isn't audible over the games audio my PS5 is still silent to the point of putting your ear next case is the closest ya get to hearing anything.
But not all systems are made equally.

The PS5 I sold was completely silent. No coil whine, no fan noise, no nothing. I forgot this was an issue. I should have asked for more money.

Have two launch systems. My first one the ethernet port died on, so I just use that one upstairs on WiFi only now. The second can get a little loud, but it's nowhere near the Saturn V liftoff that the PS4 Pro was.
I still remember living with my old roommate. We could hear each others PS4 Pros from the next room if we didn’t have any sound in ours lol.

Now I wish I could quiet down my PC but it’s harder with SFF. I really like the look of the Fractal Design Mood case so I’m hoping it gets good thermals and sound.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My PS5 sounds like a jet engine. My Series S and X are both completely silent.

I don't think it's coil whine though, just the normal functioning for the system, the disc drive and the fans. Just weird, since PS5 is also much bigger so I would assume it would run cooler and quieter.

Iced Arcade

My PS5 is the first PlayStation I owned that didn't sound like shit. (Non slim horizon bundle). It's just as silent as my series x.

*Never used the disk drive through*

Last edited:

Allandor

So, I brought the PS5 back and took another one (from another retailer, so the chance is lower that it is the same charge). It was 10€ more expensive therefore a second controller...(2day difference, the retailer started that deal today).

What should I say. Day and night difference. Now the console is whisper quite. I hope it stays that way.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
My PS5 didn’t have any coil whine and the fan was very quiet. My problem was the internal SSD failed and the console could not load the operating system. It was probably due to a power outage while it was asleep, but nothing else was affected by it. The TV, Mac, Xbox Series X, etc are all fine, but not the PS5.

Top Bottom