• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Hidetaka Miyazaki Interview: Sekiro is a turning point, hope to hone the mechanic even more

LectureMaster

Gold Member

The interview also talked about Bloodborne and Elden Ring. But hearing Miyazaki hopes double down on Sekiro is the best thing for me. Been a From fan since 2013 and Sekiro's boss fights are simply paragon in their catalog.

"It's become something much more fluid and active, I think, which was a very defining characteristic of Sekiro, and it's something I've been thinking about since Bloodborne," Miyazaki says. "Perhaps in Sekiro, it appears most obviously or its the clearest form that I think that philosophy can embody. And personally, I think there's one more level we can crank it up to and sharpen that and hone in on that mechanic even more, but I think Sekiro was a big turning point."

Bartski

Gold Member
Happy Gavin Free GIF by Rooster Teeth

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Their biggest and most fatal mistake was allowing Activision to own the IP (Sekiro). Now they can't do shit with it.
Pretty sure Activision was only publishing and the IP belongs to From.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Pretty sure Activision was only publishing and the IP belongs to From.

I mean, to be fair and probably not many people know this, but Bandai Namco owns shit and they're only publishing From games outside of Japan, where From publishing their games themselves. But this Activision Sekiro deal is far less clear than that. So, I'm afraid we need some very solid confirmation than "pretty sure".

Also, it's one of the best (if not the best) games they've made ever, but instead of following up with the sequel (not necessarily with the same characters, and they know people want the sequel), they're not even hinting that it's coming and there's not a single rumor about it, which kinda makes you wonder if they even have a say in all this and if Activision owns the IP.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I mean, to be fair and probably not many people know this, but Bandai Namco owns shit and they're only publishing From games outside of Japan, where From publishing their games themselves. But this Activision Sekiro deal is far less clear than that. So, I'm afraid we need some very solid confirmation than "pretty sure".

Also, it's one of the best (if not the best) games they've made ever, but instead of following up with the sequel (not necessarily with the same characters, and they know people want the sequel), they're not even hinting that it's coming and there's not a single rumor about it, which kinda makes you wonder if they even have a say in all this and if Activision owns the IP.
I think not hearing news about a sequel = don't have a say on the IP is a bit too much stretch.

Sekiro is also my favorite, and based on this interview I'm positive that we eventually we get a sequel.

MrRenegade

Banned
Their biggest and most fatal mistake was allowing Activision to own the IP (Sekiro). Now they can't do shit with it.
And? They release a game called "katana blade monkey power mudabitch" with revised game mechanics and it would sell 10 million copies.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And? They release a game called "katana blade monkey power mudabitch" with revised game mechanics and it would sell 10 million copies.
Sure, but there's one problem. I want to get into the world of Sekiro with similar feel, gameplay loop, mechanics and combat again and as you can see, there's no From game similar to Bloodborne in terms of setting, art and gameplay mechanics still, is there? They haven't used or revised anything from that game ever again in any of their games they released since. There's no weapons transformations, no emphasis on aggressive play to survive and get your health back, you can't use firearms to replace a shield and most importantly, there's no other From game like Bloodborne still and there won't be another game like Sekiro unless it's Sekiro.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

The interview also talked about Bloodborne and Elden Ring. But hearing Miyazaki hopes double down on Sekiro is the best thing for me. Been a From fan since 2013 and Sekiro's boss fights are simply paragon in their catalog.
Holy fuck yes... more sekiro less elden ring !!! Letttssss gooooo

Aion002

Sure, but there's one problem. I want to get into the world of Sekiro with similar feel, gameplay loop, mechanics and combat again and as you can see, there's no From game similar to Bloodborne in terms of setting, art and gameplay mechanics still, is there? They haven't used or revised anything from that game ever again in any of their games they released since. There's no weapons transformations, no emphasis on aggressive play to survive and get your health back, you can't use firearms to replace a shield and most importantly, there's no other From game like Bloodborne still and there won't be another game like Sekiro unless it's Sekiro.
FS owns the Sekiro ip:

Fun fact: FromSoftware also owns the Tenchu ip.

MrRenegade

Banned
Well, Activision, EA and others sit on goldmine franchises and they do nothing with them. Harsh reality of life, but at least FROM is not wanking around and burning their good will with shitty products. They deliver, so I think we just need to wait a few years and something similar (or same) might pop up.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
FS owns the Sekiro ip:

That's all I needed to know.
Fun fact: FromSoftware also owns the Tenchu ip.

Now this can be a welcome alternative to Sekiro's sequel.
Demons Souls turned into Dark Souls
Demon's Souls is different design-wise than other From games, even though gameplay loop and core mechanics are similar. They haven't made a similar game ever since.
Sekiro turns into ???
Only time will tell, but it won't be the same.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Activision doesn’t own Sekiro IP, FROM themselves publish the game in Japan while Activision published it for west.

Shut0wen

I would put Nioh 2 right up there with Sekiro as far as fun combat goes.

It’s enemy and level design that really holds back Team Ninja these days.
Really? I thought it was more souls like then sekiro, but yes agree with the other points, was my biggest grip with wo long even though its the closest game to bloodborne

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Their Diablo-like compulsive loot system is a fucking stinker, too.

Also true, it just feels superfluous. But since their games are fun and play well for the most part they are still 3 steps ahead of most modern devs.

I need to play that Stranger of Paradise DLC one of these days.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Their Diablo-like compulsive loot system is a fucking stinker, too.
Facts. That's the one thing that keeps me from playing through Nioh 2 a second time. The tedium of going through so much loot and not having a clear understand of what's good for my build. Adding different stats to min max is just....it's never necessary for a normal playthrough and the end game doesn't really interest me after completing the story.

thief183

Facts. That's the one thing that keeps me from playing through Nioh 2 a second time. The tedium of going through so much loot and not having a clear understand of what's good for my build. Adding different stats to min max is just....it's never necessary for a normal playthrough and the end game doesn't really interest me after completing the story.
I disliked it at first then I realised that after the story run the game really opens up on the itemization and it started to make sense, the real problem with Nioh 2 is that it is way too big, 5 different runs and you unlock stuff at the 3rd run.... but the combat it's just on par with sekiro, or even better and I can't put it down.

March Climber

Gold Member
I just want him and his team to find a way to incorporate this type of parry/blocking system into a souls game.

ER’s parries and blocking should not have been that large of a regression after Sekiro.

Top Bottom