• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog (French, PS4 Pro reveal date leak) feeds the NX rumor mill

udivision

Is SMD going to use this in one of his YouTube videos? Because he mentioned this Julian person is a recent video and said how Gameblog said NX would be a powerful console as proof for what he (SMD) wants.

Lmao

Nintendo is just lowballing devs. This is how you get devs on board. Send em dev kits based on Wii-level tech, and WHAM. Hide the truth with low spec rumors, then reveal your console is really on the level of the PS4 Pro. Laugh all you want, but this is how Nintendo is going to get third party attention. Thrid parties will be laughing at the wimpy N64 specs, but they'll be kicking themselves when they realize the NX is more powerful than the Scorpio. They'll be jumping over themselves to port to a system more powerful than a $3,000 PC, but in a $199 package (read the patents on SCD if you don't believe me).

Can you imagine what it'd be like to post stuff like this all the time, lol.

maxcriden

FWIW I am expecting there to be a real dock as reported by the Eurogamer leak, but there is certainly a chance that the devkit with the dock does not necessarily represent the final product, which might have a wireless/streaming connection to an analog of the dock (aka a dongle). Again, this is just devil's advocate though.

FFXV covered above by others so I figured I'll just reply to the dock part. :)

So, the main reason I think a dock is a definite is for ports. I don't imagine every controller will be Bluetooth to a dongle, and I think given current game sizes an ability to add an external HD via a port will also be a must. Not to mention an Ethernet port. So, I think a box that also contains the HDMI out cord is the most elegant solution for how to offer these functionalities for this type of hybrid device.

The secondary reason is marketability. For NX to have literal living room presence as a device and to be marketable as much as possible as a hybrid HH and home console device I believe it needs more than a dongle. A sleek box that the HH clips in to will be able to offer this aesthetic.

Additionally, I think Nintendo will want to differentiate the system from Wii U as much as possible. If the primary method of control is the HH, they don't succeed in that visually as well as they could. That is to say, I no longer believe (as I did prior to the EG/related leak) that the primary controller will have a screen inside. I'm not ruling out the ability to stream HH to dock but I don't believe the HH will be the primary controller for home use. FWIW I think the hybrid nature of the games supports this belief insofar as the HH likely won't be featuring games with asymmetric or two simultaneous separate screen functionality as we saw with Wii U, i.e. the HH version that would be the visually more complicated picture in picture we see with stuff like W101. I doubt that would be the norm for HH games, so I don't think the console games will generally necessarily offer two screen simultaneous functionality.

Finally, while Eurogamer's leak may be from a devkit build, I'm hopeful they wouldn't have leaked it as a major story centering around the dock functionality as it did of they weren't confident this would be the general setup of the final product. With the product slated for release in March, I am hoping they were able to get information about a near final product.

Ladekabel

Peléo;220088791 said:
The thirst is so real I read this and expect a Nintendo Direct.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/786634877630156800[/tweet]

Is anyone who has ever woked with Nintendo safe?

Kyzer

Banned
Nintendo is just lowballing devs. This is how you get devs on board. Send em dev kits based on Wii-level tech, and WHAM. Hide the truth with low spec rumors, then reveal your console is really on the level of the PS4 Pro. Laugh all you want, but this is how Nintendo is going to get third party attention. Thrid parties will be laughing at the wimpy N64 specs, but they'll be kicking themselves when they realize the NX is more powerful than the Scorpio. They'll be jumping over themselves to port to a system more powerful than a $3,000 PC, but in a $199 package (read the patents on SCD if you don't believe me).

Can you imagine what it'd be like to post stuff like this all the time, lol.

You had me for a bit

Vague + Contradictory Information from more reputable sources = Fake

Plus no way the universe would conspire against me to make another f*cking Rabbids game right?

How so? Wii was the best selling console in Japan last gen and Xenoblade was the best JRPG last gen, look how it sold.

Look how JRPG sold on 3DS.

It would be simply dumb from square to not put FFXV on as many platforms as possible. NX would surely be among the first to be considered for this game.

Anyway these gameblog rumors are fake, as always.

AmyS

Peléo;220088791 said:

Today? Hahahaha.

Oh dear, people are really latching onto anything.

I'm just waiting for a John Harker hint post at this point.

I forgot this.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Effect

Yoshi / Rabbid Rabbits crossover being discussed too)

This is one of those things where I didn't know I'd want or be interested in until it's floated. Such a crazy and possibly stupid idea but really interesting at the same time. I actually want this to be true.

Peléo;220088791 said:

Poor Zelda...

Nintendo really has riled up the masses here, I can't tell if it's seriously impressive or depressing. Probably a bit of both.

Edit:

FFXV covered above by others so I figured I'll just reply to the dock part. :)

So, the main reason I think a dock is a definite is for ports. I don't imagine every controller will be Bluetooth to a dongle, and I think given current game sizes an ability to add an external HD via a port will also be a must. Not to mention an Ethernet port. So, I think a box that also contains the HDMI out cord is the most elegant solution for how to offer these functionalities for this type of hybrid device.

The secondary reason is marketability. For NX to have literal living room presence as a device and to be marketable as much as possible as a hybrid HH and home console device I believe it needs more than a dongle. A sleek box that the HH clips in to will be able to offer this aesthetic.

Additionally, I think Nintendo will want to differentiate the system from Wii U as much as possible. If the primary method of control is the HH, they don't succeed in that visually as well as they could. That is to say, I no longer believe (as I did prior to the EG/related leak) that the primary controller will have a screen inside. I'm not ruling out the ability to stream HH to dock but I don't believe the HH will be the primary controller for home use. FWIW I think the hybrid nature of the games supports this belief insofar as the HH likely won't be featuring games with asymmetric or two simultaneous separate screen functionality as we saw with Wii U, i.e. the HH version that would be the visually more complicated picture in picture we see with stuff like W101. I doubt that would be the norm for HH games, so I don't think the console games will generally necessarily offer two screen simultaneous functionality.

Finally, while Eurogamer's leak may be from a devkit build, I'm hopeful they wouldn't have leaked it as a major story centering around the dock functionality as it did of they weren't confident this would be the general setup of the final product. With the product slated for release in March, I am hoping they were able to get information about a near final product.

I generally agree with this, but I'm also fairly sure that what Eurogamer reported isn't the entire picture. You could have a stationary dock which is more like a traditional console than a dongle (complete with HDD, or USB drives for external HDD) but still include the streaming tech, such that the NX never actually "docks" like the devkit supposedly does. It wouldn't be that different from Wii U devkits vs the retail product in that manner.

Again, this is all devil's advocate and I fully expect a dock to actually be a dock, where the handheld docks into it. But it's also unwise to expect the devkit discussed by EG to be 100% the same as the final product.

- Lots of remasters planned (Skyward Sword, MK8, Splatoon, Smash, N64 and Wii games)
Yep, rumor is bullshit.

What better way for Nintendo to continue on a newly successful franchise that established towards the end of their console's life cycle, not with a sequel that adds onto the original formula to make a fresh and exciting experience, but with a basic remaster of the first game to the next console that will more than likely be deemed as redundant?

Because that's what Nintendo did last time with a new successful ip late into the console's lifespan, remaster Smash 64 for the Gamecube.

Hell, Infinity Ward had to remaster CoD4 back in 2010, because Modern Warfare 2 needed that much time and resources to be made, create entirely new assets from scratch in an entirely new engine unrelated to the Quake 3 engine.

Oh wait, those last 2 points didn't happen because it would've been hilariously bad choices upon the developers and publishers of said games, just like making a Splatoon 1 remaster this early into the series' lifespan

Hermii

So who this?

Robbin Williams daughter.

Edit:

Some things like N64 remakes make me very skeptical. They made sense on 3ds, but for NX they would have to remake the whole game from the ground up for them to look decent. And which games would make sense to remake anyway that hasn't had much better iterations since? I can't think of any. Excluding those who are already remade.

sounds nice but seems dubious

yoshi dlc was in sonic lost world right? weird that he might branch out more. can't see him meshing well with rabbids, maybe a Warioware Rabbids minigame collection or something but I can't conceptualize what he would do with rabbids

Peléo;220088791 said:

Jesus christ she's not even a nintendo employee and people are thinking this is NX related

EDIT: Like we've clearly gone beyond the SSB4 pre-launch insanity ("ridley's shadow confirms he is NOT a boss!" "skyward sword music in the mega64 e3 video - GHIRAHIM CONFIRMED???") by now, holy shit

BY2K

Membero Americo
Peléo;220088791 said:

Oh dear...

Has she even done anything with Nintendo since the last World Championship?

Oersted

My biggest issue with this rumour is that you need insight on too many levels for that.

Hardware, first party studios and third party support.

Either someone high from Nintendo talks or he got a whole network of sources.

Or bullshit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Zelda Williams @zeldawilliams
Jesus. Before you all get worked up, no, I'm not announcing something for nintendo. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not their hype machine.

People need to calm the hell down.

- Nintendo hasn't shared all of the NX "gimmicks" with their dev yet
- Hybrid confirmed but not the only "surprise"

Any rumor that says anything like this should be automatically marked fake. You're already risking your job sharing this information so there's no reason to be vague other than to use something like that to let the fanboys fill the gap because you're too scared not to. Real rumors share as much information as they can. They don't say stuff like "more surprises."

Hey it's her fault for being named Zelda
I don't need a /s do I?

But seriously, it's really impressive how many people are going absolutely nuts looking for NX news immediately when something the least bit related to Nintendo happens. Obviously they're all insane but Nintendo has done a hell of a job generating mass hype for something that we barely even know exists.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Lol so full of 💩
Most aren't even worth a line of text but why would a non Nintendo dev know how Zelda looks on NX? He wouldn't, just that is a safe obvious thing to say to fluff your way to more believable "rumours" and give credibility to the other bullshit.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yoshi / Rabbids crossover? If by Ancel, give. This idea is so strange it almost makes the rumor believable ;).

daakusedo

Is SMD going to use this in one of his YouTube videos? Because he mentioned this Julian person is a recent video and said how Gameblog said NX would be a powerful console as proof for what he (SMD) wants.

Lmao

Already at it lying and deforming what has been said in that video; two devices possible, infos repeat from other outlets for the hybrid, nothing of that is in.

Top Bottom