• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Avowed is the same length as Outer Worlds (13- 40 hours)

Draugoth

Gold Member
capsule_616x353.jpg

Speaking to Game Informer, Game Director Carrie Patel from Obsidian clarified it's going to be fairly short in general for an RPG. She said players can expect a similar length to the studio's previous game, the sci-fi The Outer Worlds.

The best comparison for Avowed in terms of scope is The Outer Worlds. Players can expect a roughly similar experience, just like The Outer Worlds, depending on what kind of difficulty they play on, and how thoroughly they explore and invest inside content, versus just sticking to the main crit path missions.

Patel made a similar comment last year, comparing Avowed to The Outer Worlds or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. The latter would have been preferable in terms of length since it required over 30 hours just for the main story and over 40 hours when including side content.

The Outer Worlds, on the other hand, is one of the shortest high-profile RPGs around. The main story can be completed in just over 13 hours, while side content doubles that amount to around 26. For comparison, other non-open world RPGs like The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age II require between 24 and 37 hours to complete. With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian had the excuse of a shoestring budget, having picked Take-Two's indie label Private Division as the publisher.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yeah, I remember hearing that the map or world is going to be smaller than your typical Elder Scrolls game so this doesn't surprise me.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Literally the perfect length for any game if you ask me, I can want more from some games but not everything have to be beyond that in my opinion, no matter if I paid full price for it, in the end I rather get short quality time than lengthy filler, I'll feel my money is way more worthy that way

CherryFalls

Bullshit.

Why would they want short games? If anything it would be the opposite.
Because that's the value.

If you just play 1 big game for a month, you'll feel like you didn't get much use from the huge library you're paying for, you may as well just bought the game instead of subscribing to a service.

Finish several games a month and you'll feel like you got more out of the service.
How does this not make sense?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Because that's the value.

If you just play 1 big game for a month, you'll feel like you didn't get much use from the huge library you're paying for, you may as well just bought the game instead of subscribing to a service.

Finish several games a month and you'll feel like you got more out of the service.
How does this not make sense?
Why make content that would only last a few hours? They would never be able to feed it enough content.

Plus that would encourage the 1 month and bail type subscribers.

If a game is so good ive not got time for anything else for 4 months i'd feel anything but short changed.(unlikely with the shite they put out of late, but if only hey).

Edit: They put 100+ RPG's and GAAS on there, not to mention COD in a few months so............................

Last edited:

JayK47

Just finished Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice. The DLC was better than the main game. The overall plot was decent, but the characters and game was pretty bland. I'm not sure about Obsidian anymore.

Variahunter

It's made for Gamepass so obviously they have to cut corners where they can.

The ambition and amount of content has to be reduced, what matters for them is that a new game is entering gamepass.
And they need to advertise it.
They'd rather shift that cut budget for more "content" to new games to regularly drop on gamepass.
Of course, this doesn't apply for GaaS, because they can advertise every season or new content for those games (as they already do for SoT or Grounded).

But for one and done games ? That's the strategy for most of their games going forward. Rather short, or AA / AAA- budget production. And of course, cut the costs on marketing. We just have seen it with Hellblade 2.
Fable, being a flagship title, and a long awaited game, might not suffer from this strategy, but we'll see.

Will this strategy pay ? Ehh, I don't think so, as they already have to put their games on other platforms. We've seen the bad performance of Hellblade 2 already. I don't expect Avowed to sell well either (on Steam).
Actually, putting those games on others platform might rise the budget production up, but only if they launch it on all platform day one (If it's not a GaaS).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Beer Ok GIF by Busch

A 25~ hour RPG is a-ok by me.

The ambition and amount of content has to be reduced, what matters for them is that a new game is entering gamepass.

The fuck?

The article is directly comparing it with their last full priced retail RPG release.

Where on earth are you pulling out all that drivel from?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I struggle to finish a piss so this is good news for me.
Do you ever try to time your flush so the water starts filling the boil just after you stop pissing in it? As in, you have to predict 5 - 7 seconds ahead when your bowels will be empty?

Does anyone else do this?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Do you ever try to time your flush so the water starts filling the boil just after you stop pissing in it? As in, you have to predict 5 - 7 seconds ahead when your bowels will be empty?

No why would you need to time a flush? My bog flushes on demand, as and when required.

clarky

Gold Member

They'd rather shift that cut budget for more "content" to new games to regularly drop on gamepass.
Of course, this doesn't apply for GaaS, because they can advertise every season or new content for those games (as they already do for SoT or Grounded).

But for one and done games ? That's the strategy for most of their games going forward. Rather short, or AA / AAA- budget production. And of course, cut the costs on marketing. We just have seen it with Hellblade 2.
Fable, being a flagship title, and a long awaited game, might not suffer from this strategy, but we'll see.

Will this strategy pay ? Ehh, I don't think so, as they already have to put their games on other platforms. We've seen the bad performance of Hellblade 2 already. I don't expect Avowed to sell well either (on Steam).
Actually, putting those games on others platform might rise the budget production up, but only if they launch it on all platform day one (If it's not a GaaS).
Drivel.

This is a big advantage of gamepass then.

Large number of small, varied games sound way better to me.

RavageX

Just finished Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice. The DLC was better than the main game. The overall plot was decent, but the characters and game was pretty bland. I'm not sure about Obsidian anymore.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed overall with it. I didnt give a damn about any party members. Some i didnt even use. Story...i really dont remember either.

Very, very generic game IMO.

LastBattle

If you’re pissing from your bowel you might want to get that checked out.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Outer worlds was about perfect in length so this sounds great. Honestly, I tell myself I will play these giant RPG’s but I never do, so I like them to be between 20 and 40 hours for the majority of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom