• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you liked but no one else seemed to

engstra

umW4ckt.jpeg

Afrika (PS3) is legit one of the best games on the console. I remember seeing screenshots of this prior to the release of the console and was one of the main reasons I wanted a PS3, thought it looked absolutley incredible.
It took quite a few years for it to actually come out and had to get it shipped from the US but lived up to the hype for me. Such a unique experience. It's so chill to just drive around on the savannah and take pictures of all the animals.
There's barely any other photography games out there. I would love a sequal or spiritual successor to this game.

Shut0wen

Banned
I actually found Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty to be the perfect bloodbourne clone, while also exceeding bloodbourne in some ways except for enemy designs

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Loved some of the games you listed and I played (Majin, El Shaddai, The Order, The Sinking City) but I really don't understand your inclusion of Aludra in this list : always been pretty sure it has always been considered an essential PS1 game, pretty close to a masterpiece, so I don't get what it has to do it in this thread

Alundra is far from being considered a masterpiece from the general gaming populace (I agree that it is though). It got a lot of critique for being to difficult and puzzle oriented and it didn't do especially well in sales numbers either.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Zelda DS games - loved them both, wish we got a 3DS version.
B&K Nuts & Bolts - I thought this game was really interesting and ahead of its time. If they released it for chad zoomers instead of dumb millennials, it would have been a lot more popular.
Civ: Beyond Earth - it's not SMAC2, it's Civ5-2, but Civ5 was really good, and so is this.
Crysis 2 - got a lot of shit for being more linear than Crysis 1, but was very good, and had great multiplayer.

Speaking of old games, there was this Farcry-type open world game before it was a thing. I think it was called Boiling Point and is probably 20 years old. I have never heard anyone talk about it but I remember being impressed by it.
I really wanted to try that but I never did. There was a lot of slavslop like that coming out at the time doing crazy things. It had a sequel called White Gold.

Last edited:

Aion002

Resident Evil 6:

Extremely fun gameplay, awesome coop and the best mercenaries mode.

It's not classic Resident Evil, but is a great game.

Resident Evil Dead Aim:

I liked a lot... But it's never mentioned.

Laptop1991

Daikatana, i enjoyed the game but expectations from the media and others was too high, so they attacked it, expecting it to be a masterpiece.
Singularity, really good game that got no attention whatsoever and went largely under the radar

xrnzaaas

Hitman Absolution is probably considered to be the weakest in the series, but I enjoyed it for being different and having some really cool locations and humor (bar fight!). I would probably think differently if the whole series went in that direction, but it's just one game.

Burnout Paradise, i liked it more than the old games.
Burnout Paradise is spectacular, I instantly bought the PS4 remaster knowing it'll drop its price quickly. A ton of fun with a great soundtrack.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis.

I can't get anyone to play this with me and its basically the game I thought most wanted during the Dreamcast era game. Bummer.

Zannegan

Gold Member
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Skyward Sword was way too handholdy for my tastes, and the combat could be frustrating if you're prone to try to wind up your strikes like me (causing the Wiimote to sense a hit in the wrong direction), but that didn't stop it from having incredible moments. Sailing through the desert using localized time travel in that one dungeon was insanely creative. I also thought the characters were a huge step up, from TP in particular.

oLlBMlt.png

Unpopular follow-up to Shattered Soldier and another attempt to do Contra in a different perspective at a time when nobody wanted that (And being reminded of Legacy of War is never a good thing). Shame as it was actually a very solid isometric shooter for the time.

Holammer

Souldiers was kind of a flop, released with some bugs and a murderous difficulty setting that sucked the fun factor out of it.
I still loved the heck out of it, a good metroidvania with some neat environmental storytelling bits and the best pixel art since Capcom's finest during the 16-bit era. Highly recommended, but not the Switch version which runs at 30fps.

Fist's Elimination Tower is not a bad game, it just never found an audience. I would never have heard of it if not for Nerf Now, the web comic talking about it.
If it was released today it would be streamer bait.

SHA

Too Human, average games like scored around 6 I find them perfect for my own standards, too high are subjective, too low usually we share common thoughts with them.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Here's a few:
OperationRaccoonCity.jpg
Had a lot of dumb fun playing this with friends
71paE2tXU3L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
This was my go to online game while it lasted. Seemed like everyone was playing CoD or BF, but I loved me some MAG.
s-l1200.webp
My love for the movie clouded my judgement as a kid. I played this a ton and even managed to beat it.

And finally:

91Exc13bSzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Why?

I mean, just watch this beautiful, campy, absurd, awesomeness:

Last edited:

simpatico

Can't believe so many people are championing Resident Evil VI. The combat felt awful compared to 4 and 5, graphics got noticeably worse, plot and characters are complete trash. What is there to like about it compared to 4 and 5?
You have to at least go back until the combat clicks. All your other points are valid, but I have to assume you never really got into any combos if that's your stance on the combat. Highly recommend going back and replaying Leon's campaign at least. It's hard to play the other RE games directly after playing RE6 because that melee+shot combo just feels so damn good.

Top Bottom