• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop.com Investigating Possible Breach

Is there a way to see what payment method you used on an order? The order history page doesn't list it and the email confirmations I received do not either. I ordered a few digital games back in November, but I'm pretty sure I used trade credit on them and just want to make sure.

OmahaG8

Interesting.

I just had $100 in iTunes charged to a CC of mine, one that I don't have associated to my iTunes account and I called Apple and they confirmed it was to an account that was not mine. They reversed the charges, I cancelled my card, and got a new one issued. This was a few days ago.

I rarely use this card. I just checked and I used this card to buy Resident Evil 7 in November.

I may have found the culprit. : |

Is there a way to see what payment method you used on an order? The order history page doesn't list it and the email confirmations I received do not either. I ordered a few digital games back in November, but I'm pretty sure I used trade credit on them and just want to make sure.

Well if you used PayPal you should have gotten an email confirmation from them which is how I found out. I too noticed in the GameStop email it didn't specifically say what method was used.

Vash63

Thanks for this thread, I just reported my card as stolen to get a new one. No fraud charges in my history but I made an online purchase in January so I'm definitely at risk.

ElRenoRaven

Just saw this news. Guess I'll have to watch my cards cause I bought a couple of Christmas presents on their site. I'm so tired of getting my shit stolen.

I got some failed login attempts about an hour ago, but nothing seems to have come from it. I don't use that password anywhere important now, and I only paid via Paypal. Definitely check to see if you have any failed login attempts on your email associated with the Gamestop account, though.

kennyamr

Never bought from them before but then the Switch came around and was out of stock everywhere else.

I guess I gotta keep checking my card statements for the following months just in case.

Should I be happy that i used PayPal to buy things from GameStop online. Unless that's just as bad but I'll be keeping a eye on my account either way

RoadDogg

Same boat as the rest of the switch preorder posts. Im hoping that not having an account helped something not be saved, but I will continue to keeo an eye on my statement. Discover is normally good about proactivly sending new cards when they learn of a breach.

dgco86

Just got hit for over $1300. Thanks, Gamestop.

Got my card replaced but this is probably going to screw up a few of my preorders.

Persona7

Banned
This is why my publicly exposed card is a second account which I transfer small amounts into from my main account. My main account doesn't even have an activated debit card.

A couple of weeks ago, some bag of shit used my card number to purchase Lyft vouchers. Immediately called my bank to cancel the card and dispute the charges. Ordered a copy of Dragon Quest VI a couple of months back from GameStop and if I'm not mistaken, that's the only purchase I've made from them in the past couple of years. That's life, I guess...

Sucks to hear that quite a few people were affected.

Dominator

I pre-ordered a Switch and bought some Microsoft currency using my card within the past few months. I will be watching my transactions closely.

Drahcir

I got some failed login attempts about an hour ago, but nothing seems to have come from it. I don't use that password anywhere important now, and I only paid via Paypal. Definitely check to see if you have any failed login attempts on your email associated with the Gamestop account, though.

Me too. I wanted to log in to check the last time I ordered from them, but my password no longer works. The password recovery doesn't even email me the password reset email.

zulux21

hmmm I will just watch mine closely.

the only order I placed with a card in that time period was a zelda switch limited edition that I only had preordered for an hour or so before I cancelled it and got it on amazon instead.

and the only reason I used the card was because the website didn't want to accept paypal at the time :/

Thankfully I didn't have any saved card info, but think it was one of the last holdouts that used my low tier burner password that I use on some other sites.

We'll see what gets hit, I suppose. :x

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Thankfully I last bought something there in January 2016. I was able to sign in and see that I was smart enough to not have any CC info saved. Really sucks about those affected, though. Hate when these kinds of breaches happen.

Venfayth

I have used GameStop a few times recently over the past few months. My bank just called me about a fraudulent charge from a company in Taipei called "GreenWo" for around ~$330 on "telecom equipment".

I wonder if it was from this?

Welp, I just got notice that Discover Card is issuing me a new card and number. I had multiple GameStop purchases in the time frame, so I'm sure that's why. Thankfully I haven't found any fraudulent charges on my statements, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

RoadDogg

Just got an email from Discover saying new cards are on the way. Havent noticed any fraud yet but they always send new cards when a breach happens. Saves me from calling them at least.

Akoi

Sorry for the thread rez but I just got something in the mail today about this and I didnt see this thread earlier... thanks Gamestop for telling me 2 months later... The letter was dated June 2nd

NolbertoS

I had my credit card hacked 1 month ago and I honestly think its related to the GS hack, as other websites I visited haven't noticed anythjng unusual in the history. I'm gonna use GS as my last resort now

Yukinari

I got a letter in the mail about this and i did make some purchases but with visa gift cards.

Really glad i decided to invest in gift cards.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I got a letter in the mail about this and i did make some purchases but with visa gift cards.

Really glad i decided to invest in gift cards.

This is what I do too these days. I use my actual CC for emergencies offline but online I use a debit card from my bank. I just go there every week and get myself one for however much I think I'm going to spend upcoming week.

bigzgod

This actually makes a lot of sense about why one of my cards was just compromised a few days ago.

I used that same card to purchase some steam keys at gamestop during the time periods that were mentioned.

I was wondering how they could have gotten my card number, considering I never use it anywhere unusual. It's going to make it hellish to fix my BB preorders, goddamn it gamestop.

At least my cc company made it easy, just one phone call to cancel and the charge was reversed with a new card being sent out.

SSPssp

I also just got a letter from Gamestop. Never going to give them any payment info again. Guess I'll call my bank tomorrow morning.

Shingaling

Neo Member
Yeah I got the letter yesterday since it was the only place I could get a switch preorder. Since I used my debit card I cancelled it to be safe.

xabbott

This hit me too. I actually had charges on my card in another state before I got the Gamestop letter. Thankfully I caught it right away.

Zarth

I got dinged by this for a single Gamestop purchase in the last 10 years which was a PSVR I picked up at the end of January.

Fraud went on last week. Got letter today.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've ordered 2 or 3 times in my life from gamestop.com and just so happened to get hit by this. Lovely. The letter they sent is, "Heh, we fucked up. Now it's on you."

gogosox82

I've never purchased anything from gamestop.com. I usually just drive to the store since its only 10 minutes away from my house but I haven't bought anything there in years and I recently got a new credit card so I think I'm good. Sucks for anyone who bought from them tho.

LordCanti

I got a letter today. That card expired/I was sent a new one and I have no idea if I need to get yet another card or if I'm good because the number on the back and expiration date are different.

Edit: Credit card company said I needed a new card so they're overnighting one. I guess it didn't matter that the new card had a different expiration and CVV.

Top Bottom