• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop's Assassin's Creed Origins advertisement is disgusting

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
While this doesn't particularly convince me to buy the game, I don't think it rises to the level of "disgusting." I was expecting better, OP.

A lot of consumers (and certainly the ones being targeted by GameStop ads) have accepted and embraced these practices so to them it's simply advertising the exclusivity and advantages. Is it dumb? Sure. But they know their buyers.

Tigress

It's not disgusting, but it's kind of... dumb? Why would you advertise the game by highlighting the worse aspect of pre order bonuses instead of painting it in a better light?

Seriously.... like wouldn't it be better to do something like, "Pre order and we'll even give you this bonus mission". Make it sound like they are getting additional stuff if they pre order and they are being generous, not you are holding out stuff if they don't pre order and that you are holding it for ransom and you're the bad guy that they have to capitulate to to get the mission.

I mean, it's not rocket science (I'm not talking marketing in general, I do think there is definitely a skill in that kind of stuff. I'm talking about the obviousness of how to advertise this particular thing and what not to do). If this is a real ad, they need to fire the people they hire to make their ads.

Ahasverus

"Jonn Romero is about to..." yadda yadda

Bonus missions on AC have been trash, of the highest order, the trashiest trash ever made. Devs aren't dumb enough to keep good missions that would help their Metacritic for bonuses.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I mean, it is an ad making light of their own shitty practice of paying to lock content behind pre-orders. That is pretty bad.

Marcel

I dunno, I just have to laugh at how on-the-nose asshole it is. "We locked your content, deal with it" just out there in black and white sure is something.

sjay1994

I feel with this ad,

and these ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfaSJW90bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfT1XtQI4A

Gamestops marketing team is probably trying to sink the company, probably based on how badly Gamestop treats employees.

It's all connected. This isn't a company gloating about bad business practices, its disgruntled employees trying to sabatoge the business for treating them poorly.

It's the only logical explanation for such horrible ads.

sarcasm aside, these ads are awful

Ahasverus

I wish more companies were this direct actually.

"You think you'll get the whole content of this game for $60? haha you better kept saving"
" You have a 12% probability of getting the armor on the cover if you buy the legendary lootbox".
"if you want something that treats its source material will respect keep walking"

Would make life much easier.

Opa-Pa

Can't decide what's worse, the self parody weirdness of this shitty ad highlighting its own terrible practice or gaming enthusiasts in a gaming forum dismissing it because OP used the word "disgusting" instead of something else.

Oh well, gaming is only getting better every day at least.

SEGA knew what was up, though.

Holy shit, haha.

Squire

Banned
It's low quality bait at best.

The mission itself is gonna be a forgettable twenty minute excursion like they always are anyway. I mean, really.

Can't decide what's worse, the self parody weirdness of this shitty ad highlighting its own terrible practice or gaming enthusiasts in a gaming forum dismissing it because OP used the word "disgusting" instead of something else.

Oh well, gaming is only getting better every day at least.

I'm dismissing it because it's petty. The ad is petty, the reaction is petty, and the content in question is most likely very petty itself.

People complaining about vapid pre-order content reminds me of the kids who made a stink about missing out on certain happy meal toys.

newsguy

Came in here to read about assassins kneeling during the anthem or templars sexual advances in Hollywood. This is about as disgusting as charging for extra sauce at chick-fil-a.

Pretty sure the banner ad in the OP was confirmed as fake. Not sure about the Facebook ad, but the OP should at least identify that some this isn't real before throwing everyone into an outraged frenzy.

Mods, can you help?

Pretty sure the banner ad in the OP was confirmed as fake. Not sure about the Facebook ad, but the OP should at least identify that some this isn't real before throwing everyone into an outraged frenzy.

Mods, can you help?

Every single outlet that reported on it hasn't retracted the story or has any editorial note saying it's fake and it's on Vox's CDN and appears all over their sites and I've seen it elsewhere too.
https://aotf.com/articles/assassins-creed-origins-gamestop-ad/
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/10/16453336/gamestop-ad-pre-order-assassins-creed-origins
https://games.mxdwn.com/news/gamestops-new-assassins-creed-origins-add-is-a-low-blow/

Only thing I can find about it being fake is some response on Reddit which is pretty flimsy because the ad doesn't even claim it's their exclusive. A mission that is for pre-orders is more enticing than a retailer exclusive pin.
Put the pitchforks down folks. This is fake. Gamestop's "exclusive" preorder bonus is a 3 inch Fig pin... And if you guys were truly paying attention, you would realize most of the current "exclusive" preorder bonuses have been something physical for a while now. (I.e. Shadows of War, has an axe bottle opener. Forza, has a toy car.) The other things have been free characters that you would have otherwise had to pay for out of pocket otherwise. The extra mission DLC will be included in the box, as an incentive from Ubisoft to buy the game at launch.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/75ani5/aaaaand_this_is_how_you_lose_sales/do4yh0n/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
For what its worth, this isn't the Assassin's Creed ad that plays in stores. Just a standard "Get this when you Pre-Order..."

The preorder mission is everywhere. It's on Steam version, Uplay, etc.

Leaning towards fake and people just flipping out as usual.

Someone posted this comment on Reddit and I've yet to see any actual proof that the ad in the OP is real.

Hijacking the top comment because this won't be seen down there.
The reason I say this has got to be fake is because I know the designers who currently work for GS corporate and used to be one myself. If this is a real gamestop ad, it definitely did not go through gamestop itself.
First point:
A lot of attention is given to the voice of the advertising material. One key point is to avoid ever sounding negative. This says "The bonus content is blocked unless you pre-order". If this was real, it would say "Get this bonus content when you pre-order now". Never present something you're trying to sell as a negative.
Second point:
There is always a strong "CTA" or "call to action" in every advert that goes out. The CTA in the ad you're seeing seems like an afterthought and hides down in the bottom right corner. Gamestop CTAs are usually treated like this. https://imgur.com/a/mXC1e
This will get downvoted to oblivion because reddit, but whatever.
Not trying to defend Gamestop. I have more reason than any to have negative feelings about the company. Just saying that this is almost certainly fake.
*edit for formatting. I don't reddit much.
**edit I'm saying that the ad itself is fake. I don't doubt Ubi carved up game content and locked it away behind a pre-order. This kind of bullshit is to be expected from publishers.

EDIT: Was finally able to find it here. http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/assassins-creed-origins-bayek-senu-aya

Skatterd

This doesn't make me want to preorder, it makes me want to never shop at Gamestop again. Not sure what the intention is here.

Top Bottom