• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

-shadow-

Jeff also explained how he dropped the damn thing on a concrete floor and the joycon fell off, since then it felt loose and was easily detached. Are we just ignoring that part?

Could it be that the joy-con are just busted because of this instead of the tablet? I mean the slam seems like it could kill the buttons.

UberTag

Giantbomb is one of the few remaining respectable sites. Were you born yesterday?
I don't care where you work. If you're dropping the product your employer has tasked you to demo on the ground, I'm not going to think highly of you.

Jeff's lucky he runs the place so he's his own employer. :)

Just like any product and you drop it there's a chance it may not work the same. I've dropped my phone and the screen cracked, but I wasn't mad at Apple. That was my fault.

Anyways, I'm hoping Nintendo has more comments on the real story being the joycon range issue.

Fliesen

Could it be that the joy-con are just busted because of this instead of the tablet? I mean the slam seems like it could kill the buttons.

that might very much be the reason. If you drop your switch, it's likely gonna land "joycon first". If it lands with the bottom edge first, you'd have quite a forceful push exactly along the direction of release, which might have broken / loosened the latch / lock / whatever.
nw98gQ3.png
like, if you dropped it like that, the latch holding the blue joycon in place would pretty much have to absorb most of the force of the impact.

Hoo-doo

Banned
that might very much be the reason. If you drop your switch, it's likely gonna land "joycon first". If it lands with the bottom edge first, you'd have quite a forceful push exactly along the direction of release, which might have broken / loosened the latch / lock / whatever.

Both Joy-cons at the same time though? They both seem to slide off very easily.

Fliesen

that's true, but when you drop something, it tends to bounce a bit ... might have been some freak accident.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Seeing as there doesn't seem to be any kind of "impressions about the hardware" embargo, i could imagine some outlet might pick this 'issue' up and do some investigation / report on their impressions.

PSFan

Dumb jokes aside. The joycons sliding in from the top concerned me about the Switch being suspended like that in portable mode. The locks could weaken over time or the latches could wear, and the Switch has a risk of sliding out while holding it.

Perhaps Nintendo should have designed it so that the joycons slide up into either side of the Switch giving it better support in portable mode and reducing the risk of it falling out.

I could see it falling out with weakened latches after a time, especially if kids are going to run around with it.

The idea that some people are dismissing a potential issue but instead believe a potential reason for the issue is factual reminds me why we still pay for stuff like online multiplayer.

We shouldn't investigate causal relationships, but instead we should panic about potentials and what ifs, which is why we pay for online multiplayer.

Makes perfect sense. I see a doctoral thesis in your future.

Fliesen

Dumb jokes aside. The joycons sliding in from the top concerned me about the Switch being suspended like that in portable mode. The locks could weaken over time or the latches could wear, and the Switch has a risk of sliding out while holding it.

Perhaps Nintendo should have designed it so that the joycons slide up into either side of the Switch giving it better support in portable mode and reducing the risk of it falling out.

I could see it falling out with weakened latches after a time, especially if kids are going to run around with it.

Yeah, but how would you remove the joycons when you dock the unit.
It's by design and can't be done the other way around, sadly.

Ninja Dom

Wouldn't work when switching from using the joycons in Docked mode to attaching them for Portable mode.

Don't really think they can be sure that the problem is widespread if they dropped their unit on concrete. I guess it means the unit isn't super durable, but that's not surprising given what it is.

While I can't measure the force he was exerting in the gif it certainly didn't seem "easy" to push the switch down. The joycons released separately in a jerking motion instead of releasing simultaneously in a smooth motion.

Aselith

We'll see how things go.

I'm sure the press and forum dwellers like us will keep the pressure on if there are problems after launch. And eventually, one way or the other, Nintendo will fix things.

But I am still excited and looking forward to getting one.

Yeah they'll fix it like they always do: by putting out a revision that unfucks it and you have to buy.

While I can't measure the force he was exerting in the gif it certainly didn't seem "easy" to push the switch down. The joycons released separately in a jerking motion instead of releasing simultaneously in a smooth motion.

He pushed down on them seperately. That's why they didn't release at the same time.

Fliesen

Remove them before you dock the unit?

Remove Switch from dock, attach joycons. Play in portable mode.

yeah, no ... the inverse would be even worse. instead of docking your joycons into the tablet from the top (with both hands, in one smooth movement) and picking it up that way, you'd be doing this when going from docked -> portable:

* remove tablet from dock
* attach one joycon to the tablet
* attach the 2nd joycon to the tablet

that'd be so much worse than just designing rails that hold the console firmly in place (which we should still assume they do)

ViolentP

We shouldn't investigate causal relationships, but instead we should panic about potentials and what ifs, which is why we pay for online multiplayer.

Makes perfect sense. I see a doctoral thesis in your future.
We pay for online multiplayer due to ignorant consumerism. Definitively believing that this is either a factual issue or a factual cause with no real evidence is ignorant.

Not sure why you two are getting so defensive. You could have just asked what I meant.

nynt9

We pay for online multiplayer due to ignorant consumerism. Definitively believing that this is either a factual issue or a factual cause with no real evidence is ignorant.

Not sure why you two are getting so defensive. You could have just asked what I meant.

Dismissing it as a non issue is more ignorant. If we keep asking questions then maybe Nintendo will actually release a statement then we can find out if this is a real issue or not. If we dismiss it and if it's a real issue, then we're willingly getting screwed over. So until we have an official response, the correct course of action is to keep the heat on Nintendo.

ViolentP

Dismissing it as a non issue is more ignorant. If we keep asking questions then maybe Nintendo will actually release a statement then we can find out if this is a real issue or not. If we dismiss it and if it's a real issue, then we're willingly getting screwed over. So until we have an official response, the correct course of action is to keep the heat on Nintendo.

I totally agree with you regarding the desyncing issue. I personally believe the most detrimental thing in this situation is Nintendo's silence. I was previously referring to the claims that the latch is an issue. It's very possible it is circumstantial. Desyncing however, is most certainly not.

Don't lose your stuff?

Or you know just be responsible and take care of your stuff?
You guys are serious? They're two tiny little controllers, both of which are needed for operation of this in handheld mode. It was likely designed exactly the way it is because losing them is a concern.

Are you seriously going into defense mode over a hypothetical Switch that was designed upside down

ViolentP

You guys are serious? They're two tiny little controllers, both of which are needed for operation of this in handheld mode. It was likely designed exactly the way it is because losing them is a concern.

Are you seriously going into defense mode over a hypothetical Switch that was designed upside down

I'd wager neither of them have any erasers on their pencils.

I actually had no idea what you meant.

The joycon interference issue (it's not desyncing damnit) is definitely an issue and needs to be addressed.

Dropping the system and/or forcing the joycons to detach is not.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

lol Alberto have you been engaging in many switch threads recently?

ViolentP

I actually had no idea what you meant.

The joycon interference issue (it's not desyncing damnit) is definitely an issue and needs to be addressed.

Dropping the system and/or forcing the joycons to detach is not.

I just call it desyncing because that seems to be the term that has little confusion about what it's referring but yeah, seems more akin to interference than an actual disconnect.

Regarding your second point, that is if the dropping is the reason they were so easy to detach. I understand how that correlation could be made but for me, it isn't something I would file under evidence just yet. That's why I believe that one, we shouldn't panic about loose latches just yet and two, we shouldn't ignore the possibility of one.

Dehnus

My understanding is that there is a latch mechanism that is supposed to be triggered before the Joy-Con can slide off. Even though he seems to be handling it like an ape, I think it still illustrates that the latch may not be doing it's job optimally.

It is a toy, it should be child proof! Especially if it's Nintendo. MS and Sony sell dodgy crappy build quality stuff that you can't have kids near.. not Nintendo. They usually build things that are sturdy as ROCKS!

Something you can give your child with little to no worry. So yes, people are right to be worried if it goes that easy!

Not wrong of course of Sony and MS have a different target audience. That is why they are more build for looks than function. Nintendo builds for everybody. And yes it IS a toy, and there is nothing wrong with that. Humans love to play :).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I just call it desyncing because that seems to be the term that has little confusion about what it's referring but yeah, seems more akin to interference than an actual disconnect.

Regarding your second point, that is if the dropping is the reason they were so easy to detach. I understand how that correlation could be made but for me, it isn't something I would file under evidence just yet. That's why I believe that one, we shouldn't panic about loose latches just yet and two, we shouldn't ignore the possibility of one.
I don't think it looked easy to detach at all--Jeff applied force. If you're going to apply force to such a small latch of course it'll defeat the purpose of the latch.

Also I don't understand where the sliding off sentiment is coming from. have none of you watched impression videos of this device? The rail is snug and tight on the switch. Even if you broke the latch somehow you'd need to be jiggling the device up and down to get a sliding effect. Not talking about you specifically, but the chicken little syndrome around here is palpable. There are legitimate concerns with the switch. The desyncing issue is one of them, and Nintendos handling of it is another. This giant bomb issue is nothing.

LordRaptor

Dismissing it as a non issue is more ignorant.

If its a defective unit, it is a non-issue though.

It is a toy, it should be child proof! Especially if it's Nintendo. MS and Sony sell dodgy crappy build quality stuff that you can't have kids near.. not Nintendo. They usually build things that are sturdy as ROCKS!

Something you can give your child with little to no worry. So yes, people are right to be worried if it goes that easy!

Something that gives with resistance when manually forced is better designed than something that doesn't give and snaps or breaks when manually forced.

Dehnus

Yeah, but how would you remove the joycons when you dock the unit.
It's by design and can't be done the other way around, sadly.

Actually it is possible to design it like that: A rail system of multiple rails where you slide your joycons in from the underside up after placing them into receptive holes in the system :). Push in the holes, slide up, latch closed when lifting up by the weight of the unit :).

Dehnus

If its a defective unit, it is a non-issue though.

Something that gives with resistance when manually forced is better designed than something that doesn't give and snaps or breaks when manually forced.

Still I want it properly tried out. Break a few of these things in the process. Then give it the "Little Bastard Score" between 0 and 10. 10 being a rock, 0 being a raw egg :).

A Nintendo product should be about a 7 on that scale. Anything less isn't worthy of having the Nintendo name IMO.

ViolentP

I don't think it looked easy to detach at all--Jeff applied force. If you're going to apply force to such a small latch of course it'll defeat the purpose of the latch.

Also I don't understand where the sliding off sentiment is coming from. have none of you watched impression videos of this device? The rail is snug and tight on the switch. Even if you broke the latch somehow you'd need to be jiggling the device up and down to get a sliding effect. Not talking about you specifically, but the chicken little syndrome around here is palpable. There are legitimate concerns with the switch. The desyncing issue is one of them, and Nintendos handling of it is another. This giant bomb issue is nothing.

I mean, I will always maintain a small level of reservation until I can have one in my hands and go through the trials myself. That said, I am currently watching that episode of UPF because I'm curious to read their actual reaction when the above moment occurred. It's quite possible that the evidence proving this is a non-issue may already be available to us.

I do agree with you on the Chicken Little syndrome, however. The other half that will sell a problem as a feature is just as obnoxious.

NINTENDO TROUBLE TICKET

Problem: Switch unit experiencing slightly loose Joy-Con latches after unit was dropped.

Resolution: Never send free systems to reviewers that drop them on concrete then complain when things break.

Scrawnton

I wonder if people know how easy it is to snap your 3DS in half or to destroy a joystick?

It's technology. Don't be forceful or irresponsible with it.

-shadow-

like, if you dropped it like that, the latch holding the blue joycon in place would pretty much have to absorb most of the force of the impact.

Yeah I guess they might've just busted the latch/nub that keeps the joy-con in place. Do they have another set of joy-con? Might be an issue solved like that. Though still not ideal of course.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So I was listening to the waypoint podcast (great podcast about zelda and horizon btw), and at 48 minutes Patrick Klepek, I believe, said that his sources commented on the devkits not having these Joy-con problems. Does that point moreso towards a Hardware issue?

Only after the Switch has come and gone will I know if those $80 were worth it.

The issue is that many people don't see the value in all the tech.
I wasn't being serious

There's a difference between being excited for something and being a fanboy. This might be sorted day one or might not. Either way, the world turns and I get my hands on new hardware and the best Zelda ever.
If you were simply excited, you wouldn't attack someone like that.

Top Bottom