• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming giant Steam accused of ripping off 14m UK gamers

93480860-27da-11ef-baa7-25d483663b8e.jpg.webp

The owner of Steam - the largest digital distribution platform for PC games in the world - is being sued for £656m.

Valve Corporation is being accused of using its market dominance to overcharge 14 million people in the UK.

"Valve is rigging the market and taking advantage of UK gamers," said digital rights campaigner Vicki Shotbolt, who is bringing the case. Valve has been contacted for comment.
The claim - which has been filed at the Competition Appeal Tribunal, in London - accuses Valve of "shutting out" competition in the PC gaming market.

It says Valve "forces" game publishers to sign up to so-called price parity obligations, preventing titles being sold at cheaper prices on rival platforms.

Ms Shotbolt says this has enabled Steam to charge an "excessive commission of up to 30%", making UK consumers pay too much for purchasing PC games and add-on content.
The case is what is known as a collective action claim, which means that one person goes to court on behalf of a much larger group of people.

Ms Shotbolt - who accuses Valve of breaching UK competition law for at least six years - says she is bringing the claim "to stop this unlawful conduct and help people get back what they are owed."

Steam is a PC gaming platform where players can buy games and purchase in-game extras.
According to VG Insights, it had record-breaking sales in 2023, generating over $9bn (£7.1bn) in global revenue.

This was driven by 580m games sold and 14,000 new games released.

However, the market is extremely concentrated, with the top 10 bestselling games making up 61% of all sales.

The top 100 games account for 91% of total sales.
The claim is backed by legal firm Milberg London LLP, which brings group action cases against large companies.

"Competition law is there to protect consumers and ensure that markets work properly," said Natasha Pearman, a partner at the law firm.

"When they don’t work properly and consumers are harmed, collective actions of this kind provide consumers with a voice and a way of holding big companies, like Valve, to account."
It is the latest in a series of collective action legal cases against big tech.

Other claims lodged at the Competition Appeal Tribunal have sought compensation from Facebook, Google and Sony.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gaben and PC keep winning.

- No Online Sub
- 75% - 90% Discounts
- Proper Storefront
- Huge Community
- PC Mods
- Sony and MS on Steam
Don't forget the family share feature! Being able to share your WHOLE library of digital games while still having access to it is amazing.

Laptop1991

Well i haven't actually bought a game directly off Steam for a long time due to the high prices compared to the key sellers on the net, and i'm in England, so maybe there is some truth to it. they use to have great sales 10 plus years ago.

Zheph

People already losing on the thread, glorious meamwhile Sunak is getting his campaign financed by Gabe

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
While true you don't get everything on the key stores. Even some publishers like ms dont have everything on key stores.
I'd say you get 90%, can't think of a single instance in which I didn't find a game I was looking for in any keysite available.

And if you don't like the price on Steam, you can always go to Epic, GOG, itch.io, or any other store.

Sentenza

I often see this being mentioned, yet no evidence of it.
Because it's not a thing.
Valve doesn't even set prices. Publishers do.
What Valve does, it's asking developers/publishers to offer to the Steam user base comparable price to what they ask elsewhere (and comparable discounts, too).
Basically if you are selling a game on Steam AND anywhere else, you are expected to set similar prices and if you put a significant discount elsewhere you are supposed to do the same on Steam on a relatively short timeframe.

Which is only fair. You don't want YOUR user base to be the one made of "suckers" that pay more than anyone else.

Fabieter

I'd say you get 90%, can't think of a single instance in which I didn't find a game I was looking for in any keysite available.

And if you don't like the price on Steam, you can always go to Epic, GOG, itch.io, or any other store.

Well I have to say I have a few stores I trust myself and if its not on there I have to go with Steam or don't buy at all. Because some of them are definitely shady.

TintoConCasera

Well I have to say I have a few stores I trust myself and if its not on there I have to go with Steam or don't buy at all. Because some of them are definitely shady.
Yep, I do the same. Got one in particular in which I make 95% or my purchases, never failed me.

T4keD0wN

It says Valve "forces" game publishers to sign up to so-called price parity obligations, preventing titles being sold at cheaper prices on rival platforms.
I know they force them to agree to it, but i dont think Valve actually enforce it or have any capabilities to do so given that its possible to buy games elsewhere for cheaper and that publishers can just sell steam keyes themselves for cheaper.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Because it's not a thing.
Valve doesn't even set prices. Publishers do.
What Valve does, it's asking developers/publishers to offer to the Steam user base comparable price to what they ask elsewhere (and comparable discounts, too).
Basically if you are selling a game on Steam AND anywhere else, you are expected to set similar prices and if you put a significant discount elsewhere you are supposed to do the same on Steam on a relatively short timeframe.

Which is only fair. You don't want YOUR user base to be the one made of "suckers" that pay more than anyone else.
Those terms are for Steam Keys as far as i'm aware though. I've never seen any evidence of even that for the devs non-steam offers.

Seems that Price Party just means that Epic is forced to keep prices the same as Steam. They only way they can compete is with Exclusives.
That 15% vs 30% results in no price difference at checkout.

Braag

Am I missing something? I buy majority of my PC games from Green Man Gaming which is a UK based, authorized key seller and they almost always have cheaper prices than Steam does.
I also don't get why it's okay for Sony/MS/Nintendo to charge 30% but everyone is mad at Steam for doing it.
Having said that, I obviously do think a more fair 80/20 split would nice, but I have no idea how much it costs to upkeep store/servers the size of Steam platform.

Seems that Price Party just means that Epic is forced to keep prices the same as Steam. They only way they can compete is with Exclusives.
That 15% vs 30% results in no price difference at checkout.
It's probably based on the original price. Because Epic has better deals than Steam regularly.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, it's a nice way to waste time and money, I guess. Call me when I can buy third party keys elsewhere in the same scope as I do for Steam.

Last edited:
Yeah this is fucking weird. Games on Steam are sometimes cheaper than elsewhere and typically new games come out at 10% off.

If I know I'm going to like the game, I'll usually get it cheaper from an authorised key site anyway like GMG or similar since they are drastically cheaper than Steam itself.

Top Bottom