• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming giant Steam accused of ripping off 14m UK gamers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sounds like a lawsuit by people who have absolutely no clue how Steam or PC gaming work. If anything, this applies more to consoles.
It doesn't even apply to consoles either. You have a choice, and all 3 charge industry standard fees. The same fees Steam, GoG and the like charge as well. If anything, Epic is playing dirty on an open platform.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If apple has to provide alternate app store access steam has to allow their keys to be used on alternate marketplaces.

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

/s

Last edited:

Zathalus

It says Valve "forces" game publishers to sign up to so-called price parity obligations, preventing titles being sold at cheaper prices on rival platforms. I believe that only applies to Steam Keys being sold at other resellers, not actual other stores like Epic or GoG.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
… I am not certain if this is sarcasm or not. Genuinely can’t tell anymore.
It's sarcasm and a bit of irony I guess.

I don't live in the EU so I don't have any concept of what it is like to be a consumer there. We have to constantly jump through hoops to make sure any product offered there adheres to their completely ridiculous requirements its a gigantic drain on internal resources and we don't' ever see our customers there utilizing those enforced policies.

Jinzo Prime

Most of my Steam keys come from random 3rd party keysites based in Europe. This seems like shooting youself in the foot.

Oh and you can't buy Epic game keys anywhere but the Epic store so how does their argument make any sense?

I wonder if this puts Valve/Steam in a negative spotlight for regulators to possibly see Steam having an essential monopoly on PC game sales. They've been under the radar for so long.

Last edited:

NickFire

I have no dog in this fight. No gaming pc, no steam account, no PC games period.

But this sounds like overreach or a cash grab from my neutral vantage point. Everyone I interact with who plays PC games seems to hold Steam in better regard than anyone else with a digital storefront in gaming,

proandrad

I’m sure this will go as well as trying to stop the Activision blizzard buyout. Imagine Epic jumping in trying to say Valve has monopolized the market by being too awesome.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Steam is perhaps the only digital storefront that has the majority of people willing to speak in its favour. You don't get that for EGS, Ubi, EA, Rockstar, or any console one.

The only other I can think of is GOG.

This lawsuit is going nowhere and we all know it.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I wonder if this puts Valve/Steam in a negative spotlight for regulators to possibly see Steam having an essential monopoly on PC game sales. They've been under the radar for so long.

What monopoly? You can buy Steam games for lower prices from other legal online stores. If you don't like Steam, you can try buying the game at the Epic store or GOG.

I'm all for making games cheaper, and we all know Steam sales aren't what they used to be, but as someone that has played on all major platforms over the last 18 years or so I've had a Steam account, I've always found prices better there.
They should be after Sony and MS for charging for online, as well as their ridiculous download prices.

As an aside, remember how we were told for years games would be cheaper digitally because they didn't need to manufacture discs and packaging?

Some laugh.

Three

Didn't say otherwise. I was replying to a post that was seemingly ridiculing the assertion of discounts that high on Steam.
I think discounts on most storefronts have kind of become fake discounts. There was a time when those 75-90% were on newer games in a proper flash sale but now those don't really happen.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
l2NxDsr.gif

Mexicans right now.
We can sue for the prices to atleast match the US?

HxkB2gN.png

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
l2NxDsr.gif

Mexicans right now.
We can sue for the prices to atleast match the US?

HxkB2gN.png
Seems Steam's recommended regional price for a $60 game on Mexico is Mex$ 614.99. Whatever game you're showing here purposefully chose to fuck with mexicans.

Edit: Could also be some tax thing since many devs don't follow that recommended price.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
At a time, when there are a dozen launchers and respective stores on PC, from which to choose from.
When there are several third party key sellers, of keys that can be redeemed on Steam, for free.
It's ludicrous to say that Steam has an enforced monopoly.
It's companies like Epic that are paying studios not to publish games on Steam. Not the other way around.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I usually stick with green man gaming, fanatical or CD keys. Never had a problem.

I’ve also bought keys from Humble and Gamersgate without issue. Theres plenty of options of where to buy, and I’ve come across one game (Pocky and Rocky) that wasn’t available on a key site.

Anyways this is all nonsense anyway, brought on by people who have no idea about what they’re talking about.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I’ve also bought keys from Humble and Gamersgate without issue. Theres plenty of options of where to buy, and I’ve come across one game (Pocky and Rocky) that wasn’t available on a key site.

Anyways this is all nonsense anyway, brought on by people who have no idea about what they’re talking about.

This is about lawyers making massive amounts of money via settlements while pretending to represent consumers.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Steam defenders to the rescue! In 1....2....4....
There's nothing to defend, the claims have no head, no legs, nothing lol specially considering Steam spreads their own competition by allowing devs and publishers to sell Steam keys everywhere at literal no cost, thus many sites sell Steam keys and do sales for way lower prices than Steam itself since forever, I used to buy in those places until I linked my account to my residence country and now Steam local prices are lower + convenience of doing everything from SBP using a controller, but in developed countries those third party stores basically do business due to Steam not giving a F about giving keys away, basically they provided the whole infrastructure to their own competition.

Hell, the whole Humble Bundle business is based on Steam "not giving a F" about that lol.

The case, literally, makes no sense for Steam specifically, specially when their unfair share is just retailer standard since forever too.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
While true you don't get everything on the key stores. Even some publishers like ms dont have everything on key stores.
That's because it depends on publishers providing those keys, not on Steam, they do enough already allowing them to even give them away if they want to

bender

What time is it?
Steam is perhaps the only digital storefront that has the majority of people willing to speak in its favour. You don't get that for EGS, Ubi, EA, Rockstar, or any console one.

The only other I can think of is GOG.

This lawsuit is going nowhere and we all know it.

EGS is the best deal in gaming.

recursive

Don't forget the family share feature! Being able to share your WHOLE library of digital games while still having access to it is amazing.
Last I read that updated feature was in beta. Did it rollout live now? Always found it odd the family share only let one person use the library at a time as opposed to one person per game.

Topher

Gold Member
ScHlAuChi ScHlAuChi was right all along

Not really. He is saying this is price fixing. It isn't. Price fixing is collusion between competitors to keep prices high. This clause says a pub or dev can price it however they want as long as they give Steam users the same or better deal as others.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Last I read that updated feature was in beta. Did it rollout live now? Always found it odd the family share only let one person use the library at a time as opposed to one person per game.
When was that? I was using this a few years ago, like 5 or so, and both me and my bro could access my library.

Akaik, the only limitation was not being able to play the same game.

Top Bottom