• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt article on Xbox One exclusive software | What can Microsoft do?

I say it in every MS thread about exclusive software. They don't need to do anything. They are just following a different path.

Just because they are not Nintendo and Sony, doing things the traditional ways or ways you may not necessarily like doesn't mean they need to change. That just means their ecosystem isn't for you.

They are killing it right now in terms of their profit margins and investments.

I game on PS4 and am looking to pick up a Switch later because MS turned me off with their decision making years ago, but that's just my view on their path. That doesn't mean my viewpoint is the general law or proves they are doing anything wrong for the vast majority of userbase that sticks with them.

Do you have sources to back this up?

In their 2017 financial analyst briefing (transcript) they said nothing about their gaming division being profitable. This is what they said:

And some people know, this is already a $110 billion market. Console games and the services that relate to them are growing really double digits. So when you think about us, we've got a multibillion dollar business that's profitable and growing profitably. And the foundation that lays to add on the new business models, whether, as Phil mentioned, ads, subscriptions, selling gaming in that direction, whether it's the ability to think about RPU editions through low value watchers, whether it's the video models that we have through assets like Beam, I think it really opens up the possibilities of that market far beyond the $100 billion that we're already able to compete very effectively in.

They used ambiguous wording which I would interpret as saying that gaming is a profitable market in general. (If Xbox was indeed profitable, they wouldn't have used ambiguous wording.) Some articles misrepresented this statement as being about Xbox, specifically, or at least didn't acknowledge the ambiguity, Do you have any source that actually says they are profitable?

Wagram

I say it in every MS thread about exclusive software. They don't need to do anything. They are just following a different path.

Just because they are not Nintendo and Sony, doing things the traditional ways or ways you may not necessarily like doesn't mean they need to change. That just means their ecosystem isn't for you.

I game on PS4 and am looking to pick up a Switch later because MS turned me off with their decision making years ago, but that's just my view on their path. That doesn't mean my viewpoint is the general law or proves they are doing anything wrong for the vast majority of userbase that sticks with them.

Releasing fewer and lower scored (metacritic) games shouldn't be something to tout as non traditional.

Ushay

Microsoft's 2017 software output is the repercussion of games cancellation, it's anomaly, not change of direction.
They'll back to their usual output next year.

I feel like this is a very, very optimistic outlook. One I also had until recently, but I'm not seeing any sign they have increased their effort on this front apart from good old Phil saying 'We're investing more this year, promise'

A lot of the dedicated fan base, let alone potential new owners and ex 360 owners are simply looking for the writing on the walls that is still not there. For me MS need to bring back some serious AAA quality, with polish to impress. They can't do numbers compared to their competitors, but they can focus their investment in pure quality and try to outclass them (laughable I know), but it's their best bet to start clawing that market share back. For that to happen, they NEED new IP and franchises that turn heads. That's how they landed with a splash during the OG Xbox going into 360. I'm certain they can do it again.

How they do that is their choice, 1st party or partnerships are fine by me. The question is are they even entertaining the idea.

What's happening to the XB1's exclusive lineup is the exact opposite of what should be happening 3/4 years into a consoles life and I actually wonder what kind of consoles you've had in the past if you think this is normal.

I don't think it's normal at all. MS had a perfect opportunity to foster a good number of first party studios in those 360 years. It just wasn't a plan going forward from about 2008 on.

it was so disappointing to see the change from a great core gaming console to the Kinect shovelware garbage the later half of that cycle ended up being.

I don't think it's normal at all. MS had a perfect opportunity to foster a good number of first party studios in those 360 years. It just wasn't a plan going forward from about 2008 on.

it was so disappointing to see the change from a great core gaming console to the Kinect shovelware garbage the later half of that cycle ended up being.

fun fact: that's the year phil took over as head of microsoft studios

I think at this point, after the Kinect-era's shovelware compared to the Playstation 3's output... People who want a variety of exclusives (and Japanese games) go with Playstation. People who care about cheaper hardware, multiplatform titles and whatever Forza/Halo/Gears of War games are coming out in the next 8 years get Xbox. Among people I know, they've never really cared about new IPs or a variety of titles outside of space marines with chainsaws and racing games.

zl10SZ0.jpg

As much as I hate Microsoft for cancelling Scalebound, a game I was really looking forward to... I couldn't have seen it doing well commercially (but that makes me wonder why the hell they'd greenlight it in the first place).

theWB27

I think at this point, after the Kinect-era's shovelware compared to the Playstation 3's output... People who want a variety of exclusives (and Japanese games) go with Playstation. People who care about cheaper hardware, multiplatform titles and whatever Forza/Halo/Gears of War games are coming out in the next 8 years get Xbox. Among people I know, they've never really cared about new IPs or a variety of titles outside of space marines with chainsaws and racing games.

As much as I hate Microsoft for cancelling Scalebound, a game I was really looking forward to... I couldn't have seen it doing well commercially (but that makes me wonder why the hell they'd greenlight it in the first place).

Work with me here....you knock them for going with sure fire bets in Forza/Halo/Gears and then wonder why they'd greenlight/take a chance on a title that doesn't fall into the same ol big three? But you hate them for cancelling a game you figure wouldn't be worth the investment?

Humdinger

Gold Member
"Phil Spencer stated an intent to invest in first-party exclusive games to accelerate Xbox adoption, including the announcement of the "next big hits" at E3 in June."

So what happened? Forza Motorsport 7, which most people knew was happening anyway, where was the rest?

Super Lucky's Tale, baby. (Not first party, I know, but it's all I can come up with.)

We already have this thread on the go.

The other one was winding down, so we needed to reboot.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

In the video game business, your "different path" should not be "let's not make as many video games as our competition".

Such a thing cannot be celebrated.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Releasing fewer and lower scored (metacritic) games shouldn't be something to tout as non traditional.

metacritic should not be used to justify objective quality my friend. Its the lowest bar you could imagine.

In the video game business, your "different path" should not be "let's not make as many video games as our competition".

Such a thing cannot be celebrated.

Come on now, they make up for making less traditional games with more investments in games as a service. You may not like games as a service, i may not like it. But you can't deny the fact that there is an extremely huge market for those games and they make up for any traditional oriented users who may be slighted or turned off,and then some. Remember patcher saying that Player unknown battlegrounds would make more money than any Sony exclusive by far? Although i disagree with the way he said it, MS feel that this strategy works out for them or else they would not attempt it

Because the game had a different direction when the game was announced.. Then throughout its development, MS forced the developer to turn the game into a CO-OP experience creating tension between Platinum and MS...

Thanks MS :-(

Wozman23

Microsoft really has two options:

They can try to bolster their hardware to create a console and ecosystem which needs to be vastly superior to the competition in an attempt to encourage players to choose them.

Or they can invest in software and development studios to make exclusive games that attract players.

The issue with the hardware focused path they've been on is that it is hard to offer superior hardware when your competition has a product that is pretty much of equal quality, and cheaper. The Xbox One launch was pathetic, and is still behind, not just because of the crazy policies they had in mind, but because the system was more expensive than the competition.

The standard business model for companies has always been to create powerful systems, that often sell at a loss, then make up those losses with years of quality software.

So flipping that model without having the software to make up for your losses makes almost no sense. You'd either have to create a console that clearly greatly exceeds the competition, which would be pricey, or take a massive loss and find other ways to make money back though services. Being profitable with that model seems way more difficult.

If you just launch a console on par with the competition, and rely on third party support, there is essentially no reason for people to choose that console over the competition, since they'd get all the same games, and more thanks to the other companies first party efforts.

Yes, Microsoft's IPs have stuggled thus far this generation, but how much of that onus can be placed on the developers and the games. With the Xbox One lagging behind, and having the smaller install base, quality games like Sunset Overdrive were at a disadvantage. Had it been a PS4 exclusive, it would have almost undoubtedly sold better. Other IPs, like Gears and Halo, both of which have lost their original creators, are just getting a bit long in the tooth.

First party support and new IP are essential.

Nintendo is an interesting comparison because for a while now they've pretty much succeed with only first party games. Over decades they've build a diverse catalog of games, from various genres, that keep people coming back.

When Sony entered the picture, they didn't own IP, and they're still paying the price for not owning Crash and Spyro. However, they quickly began to search for talented developers, and continue to. They've scooped up Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, and continue to keep strong partnerships with talented independent studios like Insomniac and Ninja Theory. They take risks, and cancel projects or close down studios occasionally, but overall they create a lot of IP that is both critically and commercially successful.

To make money, you have to spend money, and it just doesn't seem like Microsoft wants to spend enough money on the Xbox division to make it successful. They've basically reduced themselves to a point similar to where Sony was at the time of the PS1. I get that not taking risks on first party games and new IPs seems like the safer option, but in the long run, I don't see solely focusing on hardware working out well for them.

sam12

MS are doing fine. Just cause we want more games doesn't mean they need to make more games. I believe they have started to become profitable with Xbox one, so why won't they follow the same path. As for comparing Switch with Xbox exclusives, everyone knows that people buy a Nintendo console for its first party exclusives, so no wonder they have more exclusives. By contrast Xbox one has more 3rd party games that will never come to Switch. Different audiences for different systems.

Roboculus

Because the game had a different direction when the game was announced.. Then throughout its development, MS forced the developer to turn the game into a CO-OP experience creating tension between Platinum and MS...

What makes you think they forced multiplayer throughout development?

The announcement trailer literally ended with the protagonist flying around with other dragons. They even had an interview at TGS 2014, just a few months after the announcement, where they teased multiplayer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MS didn't mess up with this game because they absolutely did (this is a huge fucking loss for them). I just think its misleading to claim that Microsoft forced multiplayer on Platinum out of the blue.

Papacheeks

Banned
metacritic should not be used to justify objective quality my friend. Its the lowest bar you could imagine.

Come on now, they make up for making less traditional games with more investments in games as a service. You may not like games as a service, i may not like it. But you can't deny the fact that there is an extremely huge market for those games and they make up for any traditional oriented users who may be slighted or turned off,and then some. Remember patcher saying that Player unknown battlegrounds would make more money than any Sony exclusive by far? Although i disagree with the way he said it, MS feel that this strategy works out for them or else they would not attempt it

The other option isn't working for them in growing their player base. PS4 should not be selling at the pace it is still, but it is. ANd that's because of compelling software through out the whole year.

GAAS works to an extent, but in consoles doesn't make a lot of sense to put GAAS into games that are not known for it aka fable, aka Gears.

David___

Banned
Remember patcher saying that Player unknown battlegrounds would make more money than any Sony exclusive by far? Although i disagree with the way he said it, MS feel that this strategy works out for them or else they would not attempt it

He said it'll make more than every Japanese exclusive on PS combined. You dont need to be an expert to think that, and even then, water is wet. I'm sure COD and every other blockbuster in the Fall do that yearly without fail

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good narrative for message board discussions, I guess.

Microsoft has to stick the landing with Scorpio and change the messaging going forward. The launch of the Xbox One against the PS4 was just a series of mistakes. They lost the messaging battle above all else: they let Sony go in cheaper, they let Sony dominate the power discussion, and they let Sony come out first. You can't lose all three of those points when it comes to messaging or it's going to have a trickle down effect on the entire business for years to come.

There's nothing they can do this generation. Hopefully they're deep into funding and development for first party on the next console. If MS doesn't reveal a number of new, exciting first party titles during the Xbox Two unveiling, no one outside of their core base is going to care.

Dabanton

It's a good narrative for message board discussions, I guess.

Microsoft has to stick the landing with Scorpio and change the messaging going forward. The launch of the Xbox One against the PS4 was just a series of mistakes. They lost the messaging battle above all else: they let Sony go in cheaper, they let Sony dominate the power discussion, and they let Sony come out first. You can't lose all three of those points when it comes to messaging or it's going to have a trickle down effect on the entire business for years to come.

Yep they were onto a beating from the off. Good games or not. Any approach to them was about resolution and which of their games were below the accepted level. Basically made any actual discussion of gameplay etc impossible.

So they've changed one conversation at least, when they announced the Scorpio is was no coincidence that resolution talk mysteriously stopped being important.

They now have a better choice at least all of their games going forward will be showcased on the Scorpio. I'm very curious as to how they really push the marketing on this thing. More powerful etc is great but whats the thing that really forces people undecided to purchase one.

Wagram

Yep they were onto a beating from the off. Good games or not. Any approach to them was about resolution and which of their games were below the accepted level. Basically made any actual discussion of gameplay etc impossible.

So they've changed one conversation at least, when they announced the Scorpio is was no coincidence that resolution talk mysteriously stopped being important.

They now have a better choice at least all of their games going forward will be showcased on the Scorpio. I'm very curious as to how they really push the marketing on this thing. More powerful etc is great but whats the thing that really forces people undecided to purchase one.

It's only natural that resolution isn't the biggest deal anymore. It's almost four years later and it'll require an additional $500 for the extra horse power. It'll be a big deal again when the next generation starts.

Papacheeks

Banned

The announcement trailer literally ended with the protagonist flying around with other dragons. They even had an interview at TGS 2014, just a few months after the announcement, where they teased multiplayer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MS didn't mess up with this game because they absolutely did (this is a huge fucking loss for them). I just think its misleading to claim that Microsoft forced multiplayer on Platinum out of the blue.

Platinum isn't known for multiplayer period. When your the publisher and the one funding the project, you do your homework on the portfolio of said studio. Would you invest The coalition to make a racing game knowing they are known for Third person action games?

It was a bad bet and even though PG probably told themselves that they could do it, doesn;t mean at the top when milestones were first not met that they wouldn;t be able to call it early on.

They should have let them just make an awesome single player game, then have them work on multiplayer as DLC and possibly do a beta for it to test it.

MS has been in the game long time, sometimes you have to know when you have to step in on your own funded project and maybe help make hard decisions. Even though milestones were not being met MS let the train keep on going, and then it got to teh point where they needed to end it.

They should have known from play tests, and looking at the rest of the game that it wasn't coming together.

It's 50/50 when it comes to that Scalebound.

HotHamBoy

Tech journalist and Microsoft insider Paul Thurrott: Xbox has never turned a profit

MS are doing fine. Just cause we want more games doesn't mean they need to make more games. I believe they have started to become profitable with Xbox one, so why won't they follow the same path. As for comparing Switch with Xbox exclusives, everyone knows that people buy a Nintendo console for its first party exclusives, so no wonder they have more exclusives. By contrast Xbox one has more 3rd party games that will never come to Switch. Different audiences for different systems.

Well, you can have great exclusives and stellar third party support if you want.

Just buy a PS4.

No it did not. The game is always imagined as a coop multiplayer. And I bet that's one of the reason Microsoft take the IP. And please stop pushing this everything is MIcrosoft's wrong narrative when it comes to game development. I find if funny that Microsoft took all the blame and studio took all the praise when it comes to Microsoft Studio's offer.

Platinum isn't known for multiplayer period. When your the publisher and the one funding the project, you do your homework on the portfolio of said studio. Would you invest The coalition to make a racing game knowing they are known for Third person action games?

It was a bad bet and even though PG probably told themselves that they could do it, doesn;t mean at the top when milestones were first not met that they wouldn;t be able to call it early on.

They should have let them just make an awesome single player game, then have them work on multiplayer as DLC and possibly do a beta for it to test it.

MS has been in the game long time, sometimes you have to know when you have to step in on your own funded project and maybe help make hard decisions. Even though milestones were not being met MS let the train keep on going, and then it got to teh point where they needed to end it.

They should have known from play tests, and looking at the rest of the game that it wasn't coming together.

It's 50/50 when it comes to that Scalebound.

I find your comment funny considering your icon Avatar contains a character from Horizon Zero Dawn, which happens to be made by a studio that is not known for third person open world game, period. By your logic, Sony should abort Horizon Zero Dawn in the first place

HotHamBoy

You raise some good points. It does seem like MS is definitely pivoting away from being the platform with the best exclusives to being the best platform to play multiplatform games. The end goal is the same, getting more people to play games and spend time/money on your console and ecosystem, but the strategy is wholly non-traditional.
And it makes sense, given the different strengths of the various companies. Nintendo and Sony have robust game development divisions, so a traditional strategy works for them and not so much for MS. Microsoft's strength, on the other hand, lies in console software, and recently hardware development, and this play to their strong suit. Clearly going against Sony on their own terms was not going anywhere, so I think it's a smart move

Except until Scorpio the XB1 was the worst way to play multiplatform games this gen and Scorpio is $500 fucking dollars. Like it or not, it's a niche console SKU.

The power game is a losing race, anyway.

MS has been known to be heavy handed in the development process of games it publishes and funds. I remember an old documentary about the higher ups at MS trying to get the chainsaw out of Gears of War, really trying to put their foot down on gameplay decisions like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRiYkaAd9o&t=11m30s

K.Jack

You're talking about so assuredly about the GAAS strategy, without acknowledging that they aren't even releasing games that are becoming the services.

If they've shifted as significantly you imply, they still need strong 1st party releases to make it a successful gamble.

Sea of Thieves is a 2018 release. and PUBG will eventually hit the Playstation platform. I can't buy that that's all they want.

hzsn724

It's sad. I have so many exclusives for the original Xbox. So many good exclusives. XB1 is highly disappointing, in comparison.

Totally agree. Classics from Shenmue 2, Stubbs the Zombie, Crimson Skies, Phantom Dust, Panzer Dragoon Orta... It's endless. XOne really only has Ori, Sunset, State of Decay, and Quantum Break which pales in comparison.

Can't wait for OG Xbox BC tho.

hzsn724

I'm a bit scared for XOneX. I understand there is a market for premium gaming, but is it big enough? I think they should have focused on better exclsuives rather than Super Lucky's Tale and Crackdown 3.

Papacheeks

Banned
No it did not. The game is always imagined as a coop multiplayer. And I bet that's one of the reason Microsoft take the IP. And please stop pushing this everything is MIcrosoft's wrong narrative when it comes to game development. I find if funny that Microsoft took all the blame and studio took all the praise when it comes to Microsoft Studio's offer.

I find your comment funny considering your icon Avatar contains a character from Horizon Zero Dawn, which happens to be made by a studio that is not known for third person open world game, period. By your logic, Sony should abort Horizon Zero Dawn in the first place

Doing online is much different. Not saying studios can't make new games. But Guerilla didn't show issues making their proof of concept. They also got people who knew RPG's from CD PROJECT red to help with making quests/dialogue options.

Did platinum get with MS for online? Maybe? But then you have a huge issue with external/internal talk. Also Sony Nurtured GUERILLA and gave them what ever they needed.

By the end it looked like Milestones got pushed but no one was helping out a Japanese developer by sending people who can help with multiplayer.

Also Gureilla made shooters, Horizon's mechanics are shooting weapons which they are known for in Killzone, difference is in perspective. Have you seen how huge shadow falls levels were especially outside? Also they hired people for horizon that worked on RPG's.

Did PG hire a bunch of people who work on multiplayer? BECAUSE interviews say they were kind of out of their element. Anarchy reigns has multiplayer but it's very basic arena style which is what they were probably comfortable with.

Jetboxx

Microsoft, just hire Itagaki and Futatsugi! Sakaguchi would be cool too but he has his Terra games. But who knows?..

Jetboxx

The Xbox had many good games. The Xbox 360 had more good games than the PS3 (even though the second half of its life cycle was shitty). And then the Xbox One... Meh.

scrapple

Neo Member
It's disappointing that Microsoft isn't investing in new games or franchises. Particularly the output they have given so far this year.

They should lead the pack and help innovate new games and experiences.

The one thing I don't think is a good point to bring up (at all) is that 'it's on the NA consumers for not supporting the exclusives MS did put out'.

Because that's not how business works:
- MS put out exclusives that clearly didn't excite people
- Consumers didn't buy said software they weren't interested in
- Consumers ask for software they are interested in
- MS blames consumers for not buying software they weren't interested in, and then says that's why they aren't making the kinds of software they are.

I mean, you can do that as a business, but I hope that the train of logic clearly derails somewhere.

What is kind of interesting to me is the that the 360 did have some really good JRPGs. But since that wasn't what the 360 was known for, I don't think any of them did amazing numbers, and MS abandoned ship. What is kind of funny about this to me is that Toys'R'Us makes most of their money in the time surrounding the XMas holiday season, and then is open the rest of the year simply to build the awareness in people's heads that 'if I want a toy, Toys 'R' Us will have it'.

If I think 'Xbox' in my head, I think first person shooters, racing games, third person shooters, and... Kinect? I mean, I'm aware they have made other games in other genres, but for me, the impression I get is that they were blips on the radar or one-offs, as opposed to something I could reasonably expect from said console.

The tipping point for me is Persona 5 and Nier:Automata. Two games that Sony didn't have to pay exclusivity for at all. They just thought they wouldn't sell enough on Xbox to be worth their while.

I think Xbox is pursuing the strategy that tries to make the best of what they have, and is cognizant that it would take consistent investment over a long period of time (including relationship building and reversing their course in territories outside of NA or UK) to get more mindshare. That's not something I'm convinced they're willing to do, because if they were, they would be doing it right now.

Their decision regarding putting what exclusives they do have on Windows doesn't make much sense to me, because if you do PC gaming, there is Windows and.... Linux? Kind of? But I think this generation is more or less locked in, and I don't really see trends reversing themselves with the next gen unless there is a change of leadership (an a willingness to pour money into game development, knowing that they won't see returns for years. Which MS doesn't seem to be willing to do anymore).

David___

Banned
There's nothing they can do this generation. Hopefully they're deep into funding and development for first party on the next console. If MS doesn't reveal a number of new, exciting first party titles during the Xbox Two unveiling, no one outside of their core base is going to care.
Doubt it. If they were we'd see the hiring sprees the devs would be doing in order to make them.

JusDoIt

Unless Microsoft has several big time secret projects in development, I think it's too late for them this gen. Sony got a lineup of games that'll last for the next couple years. Next E3, they'll be announcing their swan songs for the PS4. The year after that, they'll likely be announcing the PS5. If Xbox is just now putting projects together, those games will be coming out in like 2019, 2020.

Maybe if they leave the OG Xbox One behind they can have an extended generation with the One X, but it might be time to cut losses soon.

Neuro

This isnt even newsworthy, its someone's opinion. There is no need to link the article here unless there is someone from the industry making a point

Xbox's exclusive software has been faltering for quite sometime now, I remember this interview with an ex- Sony dev (NCAA) and he had told me that during the transition from the PS2- PS3 era, Sony had really messed up their third party relationships, this gave way for Xbox to win over them and bring a huge quality lineup for their 360 platform.

The current generation( for Microsoft) seems to be mirroring the trend, the console has had a really slow start, they team is currently not clear with where they want to take the brand or the machine. Their overall marketing propositions seems really really weak and third party exclusives are weaker than before.

Often these things are not tied only to games, they are tied to the right kind of games appearing on the platform.

Even their biggest franchises (Gears and Halo) have been massive letdowns this generation. They might pick up some steam with the launch of xbox one x but personally, I dont think even that's going to last too long.

Bridges

Thank God the Xbox One X is coming, makes me not feel like an idiot for getting all my multiplats on Xbox this gen.

I really hope they step it up their first party support soon, all their talk left me hopeful but ever since Scalebound's cancellation it's been hard for me to get excited about their output.

I've got all the consoles at my disposal now, and man ever since I got the PS4 Pro going back to the Xbox has been tough. If I didn't already have Overwatch, Rock Band and all the other evergreen titles I'm interested in on Xbox I'd have no reason to boot up it up over the PS4 (well, aside from all my friends being on the Live ecosystem).

That all being said, Super Lucky's Tale looks amazing and I really hope they have some new announcements before the end of the year that give more to look forward to.

K.Jack

Such thing doesn't stop Steam celebration.

Do you venture into many Steam/Valve threads?

The Steam platform is celebrated, as it should be, while Valve the game developer takes more and more shit by the passing year.

This is not the same.

Top Bottom