• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Gates of Troy' gold master copy stolen

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've never heard of this game but I find the story amusing!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/18/news_6100949.html

According to a press release from Slitherine Software, the gold master was being delivered from the duplication plant in London to its head office in Epsom. At "around 11:05[am] GMT the Royal Mail Postman was assaulted and his bags stolen." The expansion to the Ancient-Greece-themed strategy game Spartan had only gone gold this past Monday.

Slitherine said it was unclear whether the postman, who was unharmed, was targeted because he was carrying the Gates of Troy master or it was, in their words, "just a piece of extreme bad luck." However, the company voiced its optimism that the two were unrelated, and told the world it hoped "the thieves do not realize what they have, or if they do, that they will not have the knowledge and ability to make any use of it." Presumably the thieves were not on the Slitherine mailing list.

Much like the Half-Life 2 source code theft, the Gates of Troy theft is causing the game's release to be pushed back because of "the possibility of a pirated version hitting the streets." However, Slitherine Technical Director Philip Veale assured the public that the developer-publisher is "working hard to make up for the lost time this will cause and hope the fans can bear with us."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wario64 said:
According to a press release from Slitherine Software...

However, the company voiced its optimism that the two were unrelated, and told the world it hoped "the thieves do not realize what they have

"God, I hope they don't realise they've got our game!"

"I know, let's send out a press release to let the whole world know about it! That can only hinder the theives realisation that they got our game!"

"Great!!"

Gattsu25

Banned
Wario64 said:
the gold master was being delivered from the duplication plant in London to its head office in Epsom. At "around 11:05[am] GMT the Royal Mail Postman was assaulted and his bags stolen."

[...]

Slitherine said it was unclear whether the postman, who was unharmed, was targeted

[...]

Presumably the thieves were not on the Slitherine mailing list.

1103611Postman.jpg

Top Bottom