• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2017 Choice Awards Nominees

I keep seeing Firewatch on all these GOY lists and while I didn't play it and don't know a lot about it (yeah, yeah, what is Firewatch) I seem to remember hearing it ran like garbage on both consoles when it came out. Is that true and does that not matter anymore? Was the story that good?

It ran fine on the PS4 atleast. Some framerate stutters but thats long fixed since too.

i don't know how the nominees for best game and best design aren't the same thing.

I personally would separate them as well. There's a lot that I wouldn't attribute to game design itself that goes into making a game.

With a game like Witness or TLG or Inside, there are a great many things you could write about the actual game design behind them. But then there are several layers on top that actually elevate the games into the end pieces of entertainment you play.

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

wildfire

Banned
Best Technology:
No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)

---
haha ...

Actual game developers make this list you ignoramus.

This is the first time I'm ok with the positive acknowledgement of One Man's Lie. It's not game of the year worthy but it definitely innovated on preexisting procedural ideas. The fact they wasted their amazing tech is beside the point for why it is being nominated in those 2 specific categories.

AniHawk

I personally would separate them as well. There's a lot that I wouldn't attribute to game design itself that goes into making a game.

With a game like Witness or TLG or Inside, there are a great many things you could write about the actual game design behind them. But then there are several layers on top that actually elevate the games into the end pieces of entertainment you play.

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

i think that good game design encompasses all the things that include presentation. narrative is just a part of game design. for example when you enjoy a story, it's because the player is interacting with it in a way that feels rewarding because the designer structured the game properly.

Granjinha

What does it matter what people thought in 2015? We're at 2017 now, and the big winners of GOTYs are Overwatch, Uncharted 4 and Inside. So still no reason why specifically mention Uncharted 4.

Beside what you wrote, of not reading nominations and just jumping to conclusions, is also a description of a fanboy.

i mean, he wants DOOM to win by a large margin

i don't see the issue. So what if he's a bit of a fanboy of the series? It's not like he's derailing a thread, as opposed to some people

Top Bottom