• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Johns on the Future of DC Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird that he doesn't bring up Suicide Squad being a mess basically due to them course-correcting halfway through.

Like am I supposed to be reassured that they've given Wonder Woman a rewrite after they meddled and fucked that up?

Crisis on Infinite Marthas.

Final Martha

The DC Cinematic Marthaverse

Identity Martha

MarthaSeid

Marthapoint

Zero Martha: Martha in Time
Marthaversity

It's funny that Geoff Johns is now the "hope and optimism" guy for DC films considering a lot of his work in comics is sometimes unnecessarily bleak and ultra-violent. But I like the guy and I hope he does miracles. Rebirth was a good shot in the arm for DC.

Still, let's not get too optimistic yet, he's a good comic-book writer but we don't now how that translates into screenwriting and producing films.
Despite the heavy violence, I've never found Johns to be dark and cynical. There was always a positive theme to it. I mean, Forever Evil is a book about villains fucking each other up, but it never felt dark or cynical. More of a "people change" theme. It's honestly Johns belief that the best heroes fight their way back from the bleakest of scenarios. He does a good job with that. In fact, Blackest Night into Brightest Day is the most literal way of saying that conceivable while also being an event comic.
Well those are indeed titles of comic books.

He has experience in dealing with continuity altering, for better or for worse. In the case of GL and JSA, it was for the better. Even the Hawks.

It's unclear how much, if any, screenwriting experience he has, but he knows how to create better universal cohesion than some.

Fury451

Banned
07-minister.jpg

I really don't believe they planned on the wanton destruction in Man of Steel being the driving plot point in BvS. I really don't believe they intended to address Batman being guilty of manslaughter at best or murder at worst.

It reeks of that guy who walks into a door that says pull and tries to push, then acts like they meant to do that all along. Now they have to basically find a way to make a soft reboot canon without changing anything just to undo the mess in order to move forward.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Batman: The Killing Martha.

Mark Hamill voices Martha

Also I can't wait to see the DCU's Martha Man Hunter

Despite the heavy violence, I've never found Johns to be dark and cynical. There was always a positive theme to it. I mean, Forever Evil is a book about villains fucking each other up, but it never felt dark or cynical. More of a "people change" theme. It's honestly Johns belief that the best heroes fight their way back from the bleakest of scenarios. He does a good job with that. In fact, Blackest Night into Brightest Day is the most literal way of saying that conceivable while also being an event comic.

Oh yeah, I don't think Johns is cynical. He definitely understands the DC characters and a lot of his stories (Flash, Superman, Rebirth) are about hope. I just find it funny that he is already heralded as the bringer of light to the DCEU considering that he has written some of the most violent and disturbing superhero deaths I've ever read in a mainstream comic. The death of the Hawks in Blackest Night was crazy and half of his GL comics were basically horror stories where random alien Lanterns would get tortured and dismembered. The kind of stuff that Snyder would love.

But based on Rebirth and this interview, it seems like he understands what the DCEU needs so fingers crossed.

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg[/mg]
I really don't believe they planned on the wanton destruction in Man of Steel being the driving plot point in BvS. I really don't believe they intended to address Batman being guilty of manslaughter at best or murder at worst.
[/QUOTE]

who cares. them addressing the madness in man of steel in BvS was one of the better things about it, and if they don't address the batman stuff in JL then even more people online will rant about it's exclusion.

Next stop: stop nobbling the TV and Film universe by allowing characters to only exist in one or the other! Superman in Super girl is hopefully the first in a long line

Still wish they'd just recast Ezra with Grant Gustin, but it won't ever happen will it? the least they could do is not use the ironman suit on the flash

Fury451

Banned
who cares. them addressing the madness in man of steel in BvS was one of the better things about it, and if they don't address the batman stuff in JL then even more people online will rant about it's exclusion.

I agree, I liked the plot point honestly, one of the few things that worked well. But I don't think it was intentional.

Their CU or whatever it's called just seems slapdash.

jelly

Can't they just forget the other films don't exist and make a good film. Do we really need to bloat the film again and come on it's Snyder, whatever reflection they add will be trash, you just know he has some shit idea and skin deep philosophy wank ready to go or in cohorts with the writing team.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't care how dark it'd be, I want Watchmen vs. Justice League

If he was so inclined couldn't Doctor Manhattan just dismantle everyone on the Justice League on a molecular level? Dude is damn near God.

Also, Dr. Marthattan

J_Viper

It's weird that he doesn't bring up Suicide Squad being a mess basically due to them course-correcting halfway through.

Like am I supposed to be reassured that they've given Wonder Woman a rewrite after they meddled and fucked that up?

He was not at all involved in meddling with SS though

Ross61

Is the rest of this thread going to be lame Martha jokes and not actually discussing the interview?

But I'm glad Johns is heading this. He has more in common with Feige than a lot would think. On paper he's one of the top 5 candidates who should be runnin this.

MisterHero

If he was so inclined couldn't Doctor Manhattan just dismantle everyone on the Justice League on a molecular level? Dude is damn near God.
Manhattan is a Superman analogue*, it'd be down to both if them. Then they merge and Superman Blue comes to the big screen.

See Captain Alan Adam.

Or Superman fights in his 1 million form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom