• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Which it won't. And you're living in dream world if you think it will. The average consumer is not an angry GAFer.

Let me explain, anecdotal, but whatever. I was watching the the Xbox keynote and there was bunch of guys from my class in a Whatsapp group doing the same. Now these guys are not informed gamers, they're not the types to sit on forums like us. After, when I found out about the DRM stuff -- and note, I'm not bothered about it myself -- I told them about it. Know what the reaction was? "Seriously? Shit one. Aw well". Your average gamer doesn't care. They got over it about 5 seconds.

This is the way the industry is going.

Time will tell. Shit is already blowing up in the Internet. This will spread.

Will it be enough to bring about any change? We'll see.

iPad is the future

It absolutely will be if this is the direction consoles are headed.

Qvoth

can someone please answer my question

if i dont have any internet connection at all ( some of my friends dont and some simply dont connect their xbox online) will i be able to play single player and used games?

you can't even install your game if your x1 is not connected to internet

charsace

In the direction of apple where games are attached to an account?

Eusis

As much as I'd like a miracle Wii U surge if BOTH Sony and Microsoft screw up, yeah, I kind of figure this actually would chase all but a certain spectrum of gamer off. It'd probably cause a collapse/very rapid contraction, which was likely inevitable but maybe could've been avoided or at least handled better.
No physical media and it more or less works in a way that makes sense to people. And they're amazingly good about BC, though given the iOS ecosystem is younger than the consoles it'd need to be the case.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The games are mostly $0 - $10.

Also, you can install on multiple devices simultaneously and play without a connection with most games.

Teknoman

This. Let's wait for the official announcement but I don't anticipate Sony's plan being much better. I also don't expect the reaction to be nearly as harsh.

I think the fallout will be worse. Two of the three major companies going this route, and then the third having an "underpowered" console for the rest of current gen? People will flip out.

I will say if games end up being cheaper as a whole, i'm fine with this...but it would be strange seeing Xbox One and PS4 games releasing at 49.99 or something compared to WiiU.

terrible

Banned
Whelp, I'm out. Nintendo and PC, here I come. We had a good run, GAF, now let's start slash and burning.

I'm considering the same depending on how this plays out. If they lose me this (next) generation they may never get me back. Once I realize how little I'm missing out on I'll probably not care to return even if they smarten up later. My PC backlog is already so massive that I could easily get away with not having a next gen system and never reach a point where I have nothing fun to play.

Jabba

Banned
iOS is a service, not the same as a hardware manufacturer. There is competition outside of that particular service, through droid, windows, jail breaks and ect. iOS has to stay competitive with pricing because there is to much potential competition. MS, Sony, and Nintendo completely control the console market, the oligopoly this creates and will create even more without the 2nd hand market is just obvious.

You will not see the same value adjustments that the PC market has and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Thanks for this reply. I didn't have to bother.

jaosobno

I tweeted to Yoshida. Personally I don't buy used games, but I'm always willing to raise my voice to help a fellow gamer who does.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I tweeted to Yoshida. Personally I don't buy used games, but I'm always willing to raise my voice to help a fellow gamer who does.

I sent him a tweet telling him I would only buy a PS4 if it has DRM. Sorry man.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
iPad is the future

Yeah thank god the ipad will allow me to pick up a physical copy of a game in store and trade-in and old game if I get bored of it.

Apple's "ecosystem" is more draconian than anything that Sony or MS has cooked up yet. At least the console game market will allow some form of competition for sales, even if it is no more than Steam currently does.

Krilekk

Banned
Yes we do. PS4 will not need online to play games.

But maybe you need online to activate them. It's all semantics, you don't need to be online to play single player on X1 either, just do your 24 hour check and you can stay offline.

I always find it funny how people try to explain why they can't be online with their console while they post about the new smart features of their TV, their Smartphone and posting here in the first place.

Darhan

Isn't that already how PSN handles things?

PSN is very open. I can buy a digital game and install it in my sister's PS3, even with the free games I get from PS+. And I would say more: after buying a digital game and install it in my PS3 and my sister's PS3, we both can play online in the same game. We tried with Dead Island and had no problems at all.

So I hope we have this in PS4 digital games.

At least on the surface, it seems like it would be blowing a huge opportunity if they go and do the same thing as MS. I mean sure they won't get to dick people on reselling their games and whatever magic amount of money that will give them, but think of the chance to basically scoop an entire chunk of the gaming community. Can't only good things come from being different in this case?

Klocker

Are you asking about PS4 or Xbone?

PS4- they've said online won't be necessary but used game protection measures may be used by 3rd parties
Xbone - every 24 hours you need to connect to the network or you can't play anything, even single player games
Xbox they said you will be able to play some game modes offline but have not described it yet

shink

So how do I go about selling my used iOS games?
Aren't those two basically the same? People already accept the no resale thing with digital purchases. Or are you suggesting that people who buy used games would instead look for cheaper alternatives?
Isn't that where PSN/XBLA games fill that gap.

But maybe you need online to activate them. It's all semantics, you don't need to be online to play single player on X1 either, just do your 24 hour check and you can stay offline.

I always find it funny how people try to explain why they can't be online with their console while they post about the new smart features of their TV, their Smartphone and posting here in the first place.
A 24 hour check in us alot more restrictive than an initial activation. Signs are pointing that Sony wont go thru with it, but still.

Aren't those two basically the same? People already accept the no resale thing with digital purchases. Or are you suggesting that people who buy used games would instead look for cheaper alternatives?
Sub $10 games incite a lot less outrage than something you spent 5x-6x in.

lupinko

Yes I want to resell my 99 cent iOS game for maximum value and profit, 99 wonderful cents. Actually that's impossible in Canada since we eliminated the penny.

DieH@rd

Banned

if i dont have any internet connection at all ( some of my friends dont and some simply dont connect their xbox online) will i be able to play single player and used games?

We know for now the Xbox one won't let you. Don't know about the PS4's official stance yet.

Official stance of Sony is quite clear:

"Playstation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all"
- Senior VP of worldwide studios Michael Denny

sun-drop

does make me wonder though .... why would EA pull it's online pass thing if only one platform was going to enforce DRM themselves? ...

That's not true. Michael Denny (SCEWWS) said you can use the console and keep it completely offline and still get the full experience from single player titles.

Yoshida said that PS4 games can be played on console which is totally not connected

Lol @ the guys saying they'll go PC.

We have had DRM for years, called Steam, and we love it.
The difference being that i can get games on Steam for pocket change multiple times a year. No way in hell would I pay full price for a PC game that I can't resell.

I also am incredibly picky about what I buy because of this shit.

What is it about the games industry that makes console manufacturers think they have a right to do this, or that they should? Maybe I missed the memo if it happened, but DVDs and Blu-ray Discs don't come with this kind of DRM, right? Why do developers feel so entitled to a cut of used game sales when they have already got the cut from that initial sale? Does any other industry operate like this? Second hand furniture, do the manufacturers get a cut? No.

What is it about the games industry that makes console manufacturers think they have a right to do this, or that they should? Maybe I missed the memo if it happened, but DVDs and Blu-ray Discs don't come with this kind of DRM, right? Why do developers feel so entitled to a cut of used game sales when they have already got the cut from that initial sale? Does any other industry operate like this? Second hand furniture, do the manufacturers get a cut? No.

This is what happens when the CEOs and top executives aren't gamers or developers.

P44

Sony could go either way and see benefits tbh.

DRM, Publisher relations improve, and MS has taken most of the flak for this already. Additionally, if they went one time vs 24 hour checks, they could come out with a few of the benefits of the other side...

No DRM obviously good gamer gamewill, more sales, etc..

I wonder if they could change course at this point? Maybe a hybrid system where you need to be online to play a game without a disk in the tray, but if the disk is there it works regardless of connection?

It would be amazing if both of these companies changed course due to consumer sentiment.

I think they have no choice to change course if Sony decide not to implement a similar feature, even if it's on a publisher to publisher basis.

MS seemingly changed course over the online requirement, I can only assume this is also something that's as simple as a software update to disable. They'd be wise to do it too, the backlash will only get worse if/when Sony confirm they'll have no anti used games measures.

they'll get a lot of forum plaudits for the fig leaf of the feature being "optional." For example:

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy:
Not Sony, third parties.

wrong!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59537805&postcount=574
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59073653&postcount=148
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59377121&postcount=44
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59304413&postcount=160

But honestly, if Sony ends up not blocking their first party games and publishers code in their own blocks and not use a Sony API for, I don't see how any blame can be directed at Sony. I still wont be getting one regardless.

Eusis

and EA pulled the original from XBL and PSN (it was a PS2 classic on PSN) when the new Criterion version came out :(
Seriously? This is probably the time to bring attention to it, because it highlights one of the fears of DD only, or at least the one I have: good games being pulled in the name of marketing. Yeah, if anyone cared that Sonic 2006 got pulled it was more out of principle than serious anger, but it seems like a slippery slope once games are pulled merely for being "inconvenient" to have around. And I don't doubt used activation could be conveniently blocked and copies called back.

And also why their naming scheme for NFS is the dumbest.

crinale

Given that applications such as Photoshop and Autocad has gone to subscription model, I'm guessing the whole copyrighted thing (games, publications, movies) would follow the trend sooner or later. The (vendor's) ideal world is that absolutely no binary will be stored at consumer's end terminal.

Of course if software (or any content) vendor pursues this path then consumer must have some benefits also, besides convenience issues. The occasional discounts from Steam may be an indication to it...

Top Bottom