• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas selects Los Angeles for his $1 Billion Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
Lately L.A. is starting to look like a cooler place to live. Once they have better infrastructure to move around, I would actually consider living there.

very, very cool. I would actually have a good reason to visit my relatives, plus the new rides at Universal Studios including maybe Nintendo World opening by then.

mcfrank

Lately L.A. is starting to look like a cooler place to live. Once they have better infrastructure to move around, I would actually consider living there.

Mass transit is getting there. Once the downtown connector is done and the aviation line connects the green and expo lines we will be in much better shape. Uber helps as well.

I wanted this in SF so bad. Still frustrated about that. But good on LA. Lucas seems like a really great guy at heart and I appreciate him trying to preserve the arts. I'll definitely visit one day.

TrojanAg

I'll take the traffic if that means I get to have this built just down the road from where I am. I can't wait to check it out.

TissueBox

This will be a meaty attraction for sure. RIP streets, see ya in 2021!!

And seriously, that is a helluva investment from one dude in the film business. Personally I'm interested in seeing if any American Graffiti memorabilia/art pieces exist to be hung before the public eye. *rubs hands*

Wulfric

A 10,000-piece art collection, jesus christ.

When you own sketches and art from your own career in film, it's probably not that hard to reach that number. I would imagine a lot of it is from the old Lucafilm days. Also he's rich as fuck, so an extra Rockwell or Wyeth painting or two costs him some pocket change. I just checked my local art museum's website, and they have 25,000 items in their collection. For one individual to amass that much artwork is a feat in and of itself. To share it with other in his own lifetime is incredibly generous.

L.A. is the perfect place for this, as it's already an entertainment mecca. It's a shame Chicago turned it down, I'd love to visit without flying to the west coast.

Cheerilee

“People will visit from around the world to see the original Darth Vader mask and Norman Rockwell paintings,” he said.

And by "the original" Darth Vader mask, he of course means the one used in Revenge of the Sith, since it is canonically the first appearance of the Darth Vader mask.

And as for that Norman Rockwell painting, Rockwell may have made it, but Lucas paid it, so that means it right and truly belongs to George Lucas. If Lucas feels like modifying it to suit his latest whims during a restoration, that is entirely his right.

malibu-green-screen.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Fucking San Francisco can't get anything right. NIMBYS who causes him to consider other locations in the first place can fuck right off.

Irnbru

Havin grown up living in the museums of expo park, it brings a smile to my face to know there will another amazing place for kids and adults to check out there

And by "the original" Darth Vader mask, he of course means the one used in Revenge of the Sith, since it is canonically the first appearance of the Darth Vader mask.

And as for that Norman Rockwell painting, Rockwell may have made it, but Lucas paid it, so that means it right and truly belongs to George Lucas. If Lucas feels like modifying it to suit his latest whims during a restoration, that is entirely his right.

Holy fuck, it's just a movie. Get some perspective.

Jumeira

Banned
That's badass.

Didn't expect this dude to care so much about preserving the arts

He is extremely committed to the arts, he fought Hollywood to protect his rights for his work. The man has a big heart it's beautiful to see him donating an entire museum to enlighten and inspire all.

Trollish comments about him is disappointing, not many would share thier billions to help others.

Chirotera

Banned
More than any other celebrity on the planet George Lucas makes me feel very bipolar.

On the one hand, the changes he made to the original trilogy are just, ug. Han and Greedo shooting at the same time? All the weird CGI thrown in for no real reason? And don't get me started on the prequel trilogy...

On the other hand, the dude is an amazing philanthropist who truly does care about the arts, their promotion, and the effect they have on every day people. If the rest of the 1% acted in any way as much as he does with his charitable givings, the world would be a much more lively and interesting place.

Not only that, but with the original EU, Lucas opened up the galaxy he made to what amounted to fan fiction. Fan fiction that was placed on a pedestal of canon (that he could ignore as he wanted, but whatever...). Not many icons of pop culture can claim to have kept a thing around as long while not having direct control over the miniature details. Imagine if Rowling decided to expand out the Harry Potter-verse to other authors? I think that really gets overlooked. Hell, a lot of the EU found its way ingrained into canon (even now), and that's just something you have to respect. People take that for granted... locations like Coruscant, for instance? That wasn't Lucas, but he took the idea and used it anyways. I think that's pretty awesome.

Then again, sometimes his ramblings were a bit insane. Like saying that 1313 had to be a Boba Fett game when it didn't really have to be. There's a lot of other little examples like that too that have popped up over the years.

And just, ugggg. I hate so much about him, but at he same time I love so much about him. It's very fucking confusing.

Anyways, that museum looks cool. I'd have preferred it to be in Chicago, as I could actually get to that with ease. On the other side of the country though? eh, maybe someday...

LionPride

Banned
More than any other celebrity on the planet George Lucas makes me feel very bipolar.

On the one hand, the changes he made to the original trilogy are just, ug. Han and Greedo shooting at the same time? All the weird CGI thrown in for no real reason? And don't get me started on the prequel trilogy...

On the other hand, the dude is an amazing philanthropist who truly does care about the arts, their promotion, and the effect they have on every day people. If the rest of the 1% acted in any way as much as he does with his charitable givings, the world would be a much more lively and interesting place.

Not only that, but with the original EU, Lucas opened up the galaxy he made to what amounted to fan fiction. Fan fiction that was placed on a pedestal of canon (that he could ignore as he wanted, but whatever...). Not many icons of pop culture can claim to have kept a thing around as long while not having direct control over the miniature details. Imagine if Rowling decided to expand out the Harry Potter-verse to other authors? I think that really gets overlooked. Hell, a lot of the EU found its way ingrained into canon (even now), and that's just something you have to respect. People take that for granted... locations like Coruscant, for instance? That wasn't Lucas, but he took the idea and used it anyways. I think that's pretty awesome.

Then again, sometimes his ramblings were a bit insane. Like saying that 1313 had to be a Boba Fett game when it didn't really have to be. There's a lot of other little examples like that too that have popped up over the years.

And just, ugggg. I hate so much about him, but at he same time I love so much about him. It's very fucking confusing.

Anyways, that museum looks cool. I'd have preferred it to be in Chicago, as I could actually get to that with ease. On the other side of the country though? eh, maybe someday...
It ain't that deep

So building a $1 billion museum for "just movies" is also a result of people lacking some perspective?

What? The museum if for art and a number of other things. The lack of perspective is holding a grudge for decades, ignoring that he's building this awesome cultural center and is generally a really generous and great guy, because someone added some special effects to a movie.

Triteon

This looks damn cool. I hope it actually happens. I also hope its really eclectic rather than a temple to lucas film with a bit of other stuff.

Cheebo

Banned
George Lucas is one of the greatest philanthropists alive today. Up there with Bill Gates.

Lucas pledged to give away 99% of his wealth to charity IN HIS LIFETIME.

He gave away all of the cash he got from selling Star Wars to charity already.

I mean how much more badass can you get?

matt360

Man, Friends of the Park really should be ashamed of themselves. I wonder what the fallout is like for them.

I was kinda hoping for SF though, after Chicago fell through. That way I could visit the museum, and the next day drive up to Rancho Obi-Wan, which is the actual museum that many in this thread are looking for. Still though, I'm just glad that this museum is happening at all. Only good things will come of it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If the finished building looks like the concept art people will flock to it for that alone. It looks incredible.

robotrock

Banned
He is extremely committed to the arts, he fought Hollywood to protect his rights for his work. The man has a big heart it's beautiful to see him donating an entire museum to enlighten and inspire all.

Trollish comments about him is disappointing, not many would share thier billions to help others.
Was making a joke about how he did the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom