• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany:Demand for PS4 is x6 higher than for the second most popular console the WiiU

AdanVC

Dat Mario Kart 8 magic. So that's why I always find lot's of German players online. This game is doing wonders for Wii U wich I think truly desserves. It's a great console. Can't say the same for X1 since I don't own one and probably never will. It's just that I've never been attracted to the Xbox brand in general :c. Let's see how it develops this holidays when the only big gun it has is Halo... remastered. But Sunset Overdrive looks awesome tough, that game will certainly help as well.

Are people still that big on PC? I think the majority switched over to consoles these days. Only some Hardcore crowd is still on PC from my anecdotal evidence. Isn't that also what weekly sales show?
There is a huge core crowd with high end pcs in germany but also a huge casual crowd with low-end or even office pcs playing league of legends and nothing else.

Chariot

Are people still that big on PC? I think the majority switched over to consoles these days. Only some Hardcore crowd is still on PC from my anecdotal evidence. Isn't that also what weekly sales show?
jbvOf8D3bKy0Dx.png

http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...zung-von-computerspielen-und-konsolenspielen/

Light Blue - Computergamer
Dark Blue - Consolegamer
Grey - Neither

age 14-69 years.

Kyougar

Are you Kidding? Its bigger then ever

Hahahahahahahaha.

No.

Still the best one and I grabbed my PS4 there before people went crazy on the pile:
iyKHR0J2YFvJz.gif

why did the first kid not just grab the thing and go? He gets to the stack, stops, starts pushing the other dude and then looks like he just knocks everything over. That is odd. Funny to watch though. Good ol' electronic release mayhem, nothing beats it. As long as noone actually gets injured of course.

why did the first kid not just grab the thing and go? He gets to the stack, stops, starts pushing the other dude and then looks like he just knocks everything over. That is odd. Funny to watch though. Good ol' electronic release mayhem, nothing beats it. As long as noone actually gets injured of course.

He confused the PS3 boxes with the PS4 :D

desu

we people in Germany have been reporting this for a while now, some thought was hyperbole but that's how it has always looked. Always

this was my local Saturn in Bremen a couple of weeks after Titanfall launched

IMG-20140422-WA0000_zpsac98a6fa.jpg

it has sold some since but not that much.

In March I was in Hamburg and they had like double/triple of what you have in that picture. PS4 was sold out has been sold out for months after that ...

kabel

He grabbed a PS3 at first, realized the plight and wanted to take a PS4 but meanwhile there were other dudes standing in his way.

edit. ugh I'm to slow.

oh shit that stack is the PS3's LOL

master trolling by the store

god knows how long he was waiting in line just to run right passed the ps4s to the ps3's

He was already there when me and a friend arrived at midnight (store opened up at 9). I haven't seen him afterwards though so I don't know if he managed to grab one. We were running to the other end of the store as soon as we got ours :D

Micerider

Odd considering this is one of the few European countries where the Xbox One has actually launched. Can't imagine how it's going to do in the rest of Europe next month...
It will do nothing for the release in Tier2 (5th of september bytw). Tier 2 markets are already flooded by the overflow of Tier1 units. To the point that I could get my Xbox One 3 months ago for way cheaper than the official launch (paid 459 euros for Titanfall, bundle + Wolfenstein 3d).

Chariot

Who is their source? That information seems restricted to accounts.
Hahaha. I don't know, the statistic is suddenly a premium statistic, despite being a normal one a few minutes ago, when I made the screenshot. Sorry. But the other one I posted was from ********. Just to note that, before it vanishes too.

boingball

Yeah, not surprising. There is on average 0.5 titles for the Xbox One, The All-in-One Entertainment System, in the german Top 100 (this week Diablo made it, since just released, no other title). That system is not selling anything at all in Germany.

We have a special place for people who think that Europe is a country. It's the last place.

Wow, why haven't I seen this Penello post before? This explains a lot about MS failures outside of the US.

Game Guru

I think it should have been obvious that if XB1 is going to get second place, it would be purely be because of the US and the UK. Wii U is doing better than XB1 outside of those two territories.

Raist

Banned
How big a percentage of EU sales occur outside of UK, DE, and FR do we know? There are obviously a bunch more people than just in those countries, but GDP per capita drops quickly in the other populous countries.

Spain is the 4th EU market and in 2013 was ~3.5x smaller than france or germany. Italy is 5th and roughly smaller.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A much cheaper console selling more than a 400-500(+)€ console during its first year isn't all that ouch-worthy.

You seriously think that's all it is? The Xbox brand is weak as shit in most of Europe now, the XBO is gonna do terribly once it is finally released in Tier 2. Barely anyone cares about it, PS4 is going to completely own Europe this generation.

Hasn't Sony always done well in Europe though? Excluding the UK.

Yeah, but the 360 was reasonably strong in many countries as well. It's going to be much worse this time around.

Some people think it's hyperbole when we say the X1 is dead outside the US/UK, but it really isn't. It's as true as can be. It's why I think people are underestimating the Wii U, if it can make up the difference in Europe and Japan, it should stay at #2 for a while yet.

For anyone outside the US and little US (aka UK), there's really no reason to get an X1. Halo is big primarily in NA, as are other big Xbox franchises like Gears and even Forza (I'm sure MS wishes it was GT like in sales). With third party exclusives, PS4 has the best version of them, and any other feature the X1 may have is largely NA focused (for example, NFL). The X1 is an entirely redundant console, which makes the Wii U far better as a second console (again, outside NA and little NA)

Doesn't Germany have insane content restrictions for violence and what not? What games do these guys even get to play?

I could be wrong but i remember Gears not being able to be sold there?

Some people think it's hyperbole when we say the X1 is dead outside the US/UK, but it really isn't. It's as true as can be. It's why I think people are underestimating the Wii U, if it can make up the difference in Europe and Japan, it should stay at #2 for a while yet.

For anyone outside the US and little US (aka UK), there's really no reason to get an X1. Halo is big primarily in NA, as are other big Xbox franchises like Gears and even Forza (I'm sure MS wishes it was GT like in sales). With third party exclusives, PS4 has the best version of them, and any other feature the X1 may have is largely NA focused (for example, NFL). The X1 is an entirely redundant console, which makes the Wii U far better as a second console (again, outside NA and little NA)

It would be an interesting situation if Wii U was selling great in Japan as opposed to mediocre. I wonder if in this scenario, more 3rd party's would support it.

Yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if 40.000 or so X1 from that German figure went abroad...

At least if you check the biggest Finnish computer related forum, most Xbones were imported from Germany, Spain or Italy. Not that many though. There's no interest in the official launch either. Maybe around 10-15 people have told they pre-ordered one. Xbone is pretty much DOA here.

sphinx

the piano man
In March I was in Hamburg and they had like double/triple of what you have in that picture. PS4 was sold out has been sold out for months after that ...

Microsoft was just insane and deluded, they allocated a ridiculous amout of titanfall bundles in each store.

Look at my pic and count them: they were 60, that's SIXTY titanfall bundles, and that's not counting non-titanfall X1s, Ridiculous. Completely deluded

you normally see between 15 ~ 25 WiiUs, 360 and PS3, counting all different bundles.

I can't imagine the piles of consoles in Hamburg, the store to the side of the train station is several times bigger than the main Saturn in bremen so it must have been embarrasing.

I have to say PS4 was finally readily available in that Bremen store some time in May/June, but 10 consoles, at most and moving.

Doesn't Germany have insane content restrictions for violence and what not? What games do these guys even get to play?

XB1 and PS4 are region free (not counting China), so German console owners can simply import games that haven't been toned down (or games that don't release in Germany), or better yet create a US account and buy games digitally without any restrictions.

Xando

Not as much as it was.
We have the occasional Gears,Dead Rising and Nazi bans but not as many bans as we used to get.

I wonder if Sony will do anything like this for the white PS4 release. Would be hilarious to see a 2nd wave of madness for that sexy ass white console

September is going to be such a big month for Sony.

I think the Xbox One tried too hard at being an all-in-one media center. Or in the words of MS, a watercooler.

They should of stuck with their fans where they started...but corporate greed got the best of 'em.

Top Bottom