• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendas

Banned
I didn't pick up on any of that at all, you'd have to go into it looking for it and being insecure to find that.

I feel like this statement right here needs to be repeated; over and over, for people on both sides of the issue.

I've seen so many threads here where people are at an uproar about misogyny and fight to the death to have their voices heard. Now here we have ONE instance of someone claiming Misandry and the response is this?

The Hypocrisy is real.

Lijik

Where was Will's part? Did I close it too early?

Don't post if you have nothing to contribute. Gracias.

Oh shit. The Stripes comparison makes a ton of sense.

i dont know if its in the youtube version but Will came after the review so everyone could tastetest the ecto twinkies and he said what he thought about the movie then

Not

Banned
I feel like this statement right here needs to be repeated; over and over, for people on both sides of the issue.

I've seen so many threads here where people are at an uproar about misogyny and fight to the death to have their voices heard. Now here we have ONE instance of someone claiming Misandry and the response is this?

The Hypocrisy is real.

Wait, are you saying men and women are on an equal level in society and every response to gender inequality in films going forward should reflect that as such?

Also, I think you misunderstood the poster you're quoting.

jstripes

Banned

The Hypocrisy is real.

We had two years of people railing against a female-led Ghostbusers. There's nothing subjective about that.

Monocle

Continuing the trend of dumb men being great in movies, Love & Friendship, a movie mostly about women has Tom Bennett who is a scene stealer.

film-love-and-friendship-e1464980491413.jpg

Sir-James-meme-copy-900x1024.jpg
Seconding this. The whole movie is great and Bennett is a standout.

Some interesting stuff from Salon

There is, however, a growing gender divide over the film’s reception. As of the time of writing, the film’s scores from female reviewers are considerably higher, with 84 percent of women giving the movie a thumbs up. Time’s Stephanie Zacharek comments, “The movie glows with vitality, thanks largely to the performers, who revel in one another’s company.” Meanwhile, the New York Times’ Manohla Dargis writes that it’s “cheerfully silly” and Kate Muir of U.K.’s The Times says it’s a “rollickingly funny delight.”

On the flip side, 77 percent of the critics who gave the film a thumbs down are male.

Roger Ebert’s one-time sidekick, Richard Roeper, called it a “horror from start to finish,” while David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter referred to “Ghostbusters” as a “bust.” That disparity has hampered the film’s reception: Currently, there’s a 10 percentage point difference between male and female opinion on the movie. If reviewing were left up to male critics alone, “Ghostbusters” would have a 74 percent approval rating

Crazy disparity.

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/12/the...es_starring_women_get_slimed_by_male_critics/

Ponn

Banned
Hahaha, called this shit 5 days ago when the reviews started rolling in.

Now the vitriolic, loud and 'its not about being sexist, its about ethics" detractors who are still around wishing for the movie to do bad to somehow vindicate themselves not realizing they are showing their hands by wasting so much of their time arguing and detracting a movie unlike that first group I mentioned will never see the movie. They will change the narrative like we have already seen in this thread into conspiracy theories, above average to average RT scores now being mediocore and that its actually a manhating movie now because of nut shots (which are funny otherwise but here, its part of a feminist agenda).

Do they factor genre into this? I can only speak for myself, but films like Ricki and the Flash, August: Osage County, Pitch Perfect, and The Devil Wears Prada are non-starters for me because the first two looked like overly-sentimental dramas which I tend to avoid entirely, the third looked fine for what it was but I hate musicals, and since I'm oblivious to fashion something like Prada didn't interest me.

Whereas I loved The Heat, enjoyed Bridesmaids, dug Trainwreck, liked Clueless, and remember mostly enjoying A League of Their Own. And of course, I'm excited for the new Ghostbusters.

I don't envy critics. I feel like there are simply some genres that'd be hard for me to rate "objectively," because of my deep biases to certain types of films and topics that may otherwise yield exemplary films in their genre. Regardless, I'd love to see more female-starring films in genres that are generally male dominated like sci-fi or action films.

Do they factor genre into this? I can only speak for myself, but films like Ricki and the Flash, August: Osage County, Pitch Perfect, and The Devil Wears Prada are non-starters for me because the first two looked like overly-sentimental dramas which I tend to avoid entirely, the third looked fine for what it was but I hate musicals, and since I'm oblivious to fashion something like Prada didn't interest me.

Whereas I loved The Heat, enjoyed Bridesmaids, dug Trainwreck, liked Clueless, and remember mostly enjoying A League of Their Own. And of course, I'm excited for the new Ghostbusters.

I don't envy critics. I feel like there are simply some genres that'd be hard for me to rate "objectively," because of my deep biases to certain types of films and topics that may otherwise yield exemplary films in their genre. Regardless, I'd love to see more female-starring films in genres that are generally male dominated like sci-fi or action films.

Well I mean Ghostbusters is sci-fi action comedy and it had the exact same issue.

Well I mean Ghostbusters is sci-fi action comedy and it had the exact same issue.

Yeah, I don't mean to suggest that the article isn't correct. I think it is, and that it's even more evident by the fact that something like an sci-fi action comedy predominantly starring females is such a novelty even in 2016.

But as Ghostbusters - while imbued with a certain percentage of sexist-driven hatred - is a relatively unique case of many people being opposed to it more due to nostalgia goggles than due to the gender of the characters, I'm wondering how much genre plays a role in a lot of these male's viewing films with primarily female leads.

jstripes

Banned
Now the vitriolic, loud and 'its not about being sexist, its about ethics" detractors who are still around wishing for the movie to do bad to somehow vindicate themselves not realizing they are showing their hands by wasting so much of their time arguing and detracting a movie unlike that first group I mentioned will never see the movie. They will change the narrative like we have already seen in this thread into conspiracy theories, above average to average RT scores now being mediocore and that its actually a manhating movie now because of nut shots (which are funny otherwise but here, its part of a feminist agenda).

The backbone of every Jackass movie.

KidOmega

Rotten Tomatoes user reviews are at 41%. The hate from the male demographic and the way they are pouring into sites to leave bad reviews is absurd. I saw the movie last night and absolutely loved it. I was laughing and smiling from ear to ear the whole time. My fingers are crossed for box office success. Can't wait for a sequel!

I was going to catch a matinee, but saw Andre Meadows, Linkara, Phelous and Brad Jones/Allison Pregler reviews, who all(except Allison, who liked it a lot) said it was mediocre. What I feared might happen was confirmed when all latter three mentioned line-o-rama jokes(which I have next to zero tolerance for, be it in a Feig movie or an Apatow movie, #NotMyComedy). Decided to binge Stranger Things instead. I regret nothing. I'll likely rent this when it gets released to blu-ray.

Cut out all those shit cameos and one of those weapon testing scenes and the could of done something about that.
If you don't get a cameo from everyone involved, you get the same people complaining about neglecting the original.
The movie doesn't do this thankfully.
Nope. At least in this thread, it seems to come from one guy who hasn't even seen it yet.
You're not reviewing any of those on movie websites, are you? Then you're good. And if you saw those movies, or ones you initially wouldn't think you'd like, but you did like them, you'd score them fairly, wouldn't you? Then you're good.

movie was good. least enjoyable aspect was the new rendition of the Ghostbusters theme. otherwise, it's a pretty consistently funny with a few scenes that were hilarious. cast has good chemistry.

I was going to catch a matinee, but saw Andre Meadows, Linkara, Phelous and Brad Jones/Allison Pregler reviews, who all(except Allison, who liked it a lot) said it was mediocre. What I feared might happen was confirmed when all latter three mentioned line-o-rama jokes(which I have next to zero tolerance for, be it in a Feig movie or an Apatow movie, #NotMyComedy). Decided to binge Stranger Things instead. I regret nothing. I'll likely rent this when it gets released to blu-ray.

This is absolutely a fair thing.

Feig is very much non stop verbal wordplay

Which is 110% my humor but if it's not yours then yeah you might not enjoy it as much.

pgtl_10

Define political in this case please...

I don't want to misinterpret your point.

Men are going to hate it because it's women as Ghostbusters and women will be positive as a way to fight back.

From the article I posted:

But this “Ghostbusters” thing? It lays bare so, so much of what we’re investigating when it comes to the provenance and reliability of internet ratings.1 Namely, they’re inconsistent, easily manipulated and probably not worth half the stock we put in them.2 Here are a few stats I collected early Thursday for the new “Ghostbusters” movie:

IMDb average user rating: 4.1 out of 10, of 12,921 reviewers
IMDb average user rating among men: 3.6 out of 10, of 7,547 reviewers
IMDb average user rating among women: 7.7 out of 10, of 1,564 reviewers

The movie isn’t even out in theaters as I’m writing this, but over 12,000 people have made their judgment. Male reviewers outnumber female reviewers nearly 5 to 1 and rate “Ghostbusters” 4 points lower, on average.

The article was published July 14th.

Men are going to hate it because it's women as Ghostbusters and women will be positive as a way to fight back.

Almost 7 times more men then women.

And the womem average is all of 7.7. Not exactly a world breaking number.

Hardly think a sample of 1000 women with a 7.7 average is enough to say it's just as political on the women's side. Movie came out in UK on Monday.

This is not a both sides thing sorry.

pgtl_10

12 times more men then women.

And the womem average is all of 7.7. Not exactly a world breaking number

Hardly think a sample of 1000 women is enough to say it's just as political on the women's side. Movie came out in UK on Monday.

I'm not looking for scientific studies when I see reviews. I'm looking for honest reviews. I think Ghostbusters will be hard to find any.

BTW there is a 3-4 point difference between men and women. That's a big difference.

I'm not looking for scientific studies when I see reviews. I'm looking for honest reviews. I think Ghostbusters will be hard to find any.

BTW there is a 3-4 point difference between men and women. That's a big difference.

Right because there's a group of semi organized men that are purposely trying to tank the ratings.

7.7 is not out of the realm of a ridiculous score for this movie.

3.6 damn well is.

Like I said this is just a continuation of the youtube bullshit.

pgtl_10

Right because there's a group of semi organized men that are purposely trying to tank the ratings.

7.7 is not out of the realm of a ridiculous score for this movie.

3.6 damn well is.

If you like that sure. Go knock yourself out to movie scores before the movie released. To me I don't trust any of the reviews.

If you like that sure. Go knock yourself out to movie scores before the movie released. To me I don't trust any of the reviews.

The movie was out on the UK on Monday.

But you're right. Sort of. 51% of women have voted 10 but that's to try and counterbalance the 51% of men who voted 1.

If they hadn't the overall artificially low score would have been even lower.

Again if there weren't the organized sexist downvote brigade none of this would have happened.

So women haven't inflated the scores they just tried to stop men from purposely tanking it. Unsuccessfully thus far.

And funny enough though IMDB had nothing to do with the article I posted. Which was about psid critics who you know definitely did see the damn thing.

pgtl_10

The movie was out on the UK on Monday.

But you're right. Sort of. 51% of women have voted 10 but that's to try and counterbalance the 51% of men who voted 1.

If they hadn't the overall artificially low score would have been even lower.

Again if there weren't the organized sexist downvote brigade none of this would have happened.

So women haven't inflated the scores they just tried to stop men from purposely tanking it. Unsuccessfully thus far.

And funny enough though IMDB had nothing to do with the article I posted. Which was about psid critics who you know definitely did see the damn thing.

Thanks for finally agreeing that the reviews should be treated with suspicion.

I generally don't put much attention to reviews but Ghostbusters is unique because it became polarizing to a degree that makes it hard to believe anything coming anyone's mouth outside my siblings. I trust them because their tastes tend to mimic my own.

Thanks for finally agreeing that the reviews should be treated with suspicion.

I generally don't put much attention to reviews but Ghostbusters is unique because it became polarizing to a degree that makes it hard to believe anything coming anyone's mouth outside my siblings. I trust them because their tastes tend to mimic my own.

But there is a consensus it's a average to decent to solid movie that is great for some, average for others.

You keep saying reviews imdb aren't reviews. My article had fuck all to do with IMDB.

This both sides crap is ridiculous.

We can never talk about a real phenomenon of sexism at play without someone yelling both sides.

The truth isn't in the middle.

least enjoyable aspect was the new rendition of the Ghostbusters theme.
Worst bit about that is that they had more then one, and every single one of them I enjoyed that wasn't the damn fall out boy song.

This both sides crap is ridiculous.

We can never talk about a real phenomenon of sexism at play without someone yelling both sides.

The truth isn't in the middle.

I consider myself a feminist for what it's worth. There is no both sides to people having a problem there are women staring in a movie that used to have men. We all know the same shit wouldn't have hit the fan if it was a male cast..... but there are alot of people that thought the movie looked bad. And for good reasons, the trailers were not the best. I'm seeing alot of insanity from people claiming "everyone who doesn't want to see it is sexist" or "are you saying a ghostbuster can't be a woman". And that's pretty dumb, I had a problem with the idea of a reboot for ghostbusters. Thankfully they fixed my problem but the shit that happened to james rolfe is insanity. Both sides are flinging shit here, one side is just morally messed up and the other thinks they are doing the right thing. The best side is just to have an opinion on a movie and move on either way. At least so far from my experience of the film the reviews largely match my feelings towards it. But I wouldn't be shocked if certain critics screw with their scores just to fit a narrative. It wouldn't be the first (starwars episode 1 is fantastic guys).

Just got back from watching it. Wasn't really interested in watching it in the cinema, but my younger cousins really wanted to go so I ended up taking them.

Based on the reviews I was going in expecting it to be okay, but man, was it bad.
The majority of the jokes just fell flat. It felt like one of those run of the mill comedies like Dirty Grandpa or that Mike and Dave movie. Upside is that my cousins had a blast. They really enjoyed the movie.

thequestion

Just saw it. Movie theatre was half full which is too bad because I had a great time watching this, and I feel if others would give it a chance, and get past the stigma this film seemed to attract, they would have a good time with it as well.

The cast was fun to hang out with - Kristin Wiig was the funny one. Leslie Jones had some good 'reaction - type' comedy, Mckinnon didn't make me laugh, (her humour style reminded me of 'spongebob square pants' comedy for some reason. I never got the humour of that show, so I guess it makes sense why i wasn't laughing at her antics, much), but she looked really cool in a lot of the scenes she was in, and Mcarthy was fine and played a really good 'best friend' character. The four of them had great chemistry and Wiig played off Helmsworth wonderfully. I never felt that the movie dragged - it moved at a nice clip, and the 3d efffects were really good. It felt like I was on a Disney ride at times. I laughed and smiled throughout the film. Second best Ghostbusters movie.

7 out of 10......but the 3d imax experience bumps it up to an 8 out of 10. It's was a fun, friday night movie.

gafneo

Banned

Lol, is the hate fuel just getting started? For a second I thought the stupidity was dying down. Some say they like it, others not so much. This is where the line should end. Nostialia Critic does a pretty good reaction to the odd fan obsession surrounding the movie. People that flat out hate out of rage are just plane and simple mental cases. It's very pathetic and is more cringe worthy than even the worst parts of the movie. I'm sure sexism was a tiny part at first, but now people have out stupified their excuses by carrying it out with complaints towards every little aspect past the film's release.

DeathyBoy

Banned

The Devil Wears Prada is a really, really good film though.

It's about people in fashion rather than fashion. And Stanley Tucci taking a stereotype of a character and making it into something hilarious, sad and awesome at the same time should not be stepped on.

devilhawk

Sure, the article has a point, but holy hell, that is some "fun with numbers" bullshit.

It would be too easy to compare percent ratings for each sexes. But we can't have that as it isn't dramatic enough. Instead we get "hey this apple does not look like this orange!"
Negative reviews that came from men: 93 percent
Female critics who liked it: 94 percent

Audioboxer

Angry Joe review if anyone cares.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mCP937VRfI4

Rating:
2/10

Just listened to this. Sounds awful as a sequel to Ghostbusters, but reviews online make it sound like a decent fun flick overall. That main bad guy does sound absolutely shoddy though.

Whenever I get around to seeing it I'll have to separate my brain telling me the film is Ghostbusters, and instead just a generic comedy flick.

Also a bit cringe that rumoured queef joke made it in lol.

Audioboxer

Anyone who would listen to a screaming Youtuber that goes by the name Angry Joe over critics should probably go in for an MRI :p

Eh, I like Joe. Usually just watch his gaming reviews though. I'll judge the movie fully when I see it but as I said above it sounds terrible as a new addition in the Ghosbusters series and more like something that works well because of chemistry and jokes in any "Paul Feig" movie.

I did think prior to release it would be Ghostmaidsbusters.

Hey maybe I'll be one of the few who can both like the movie and hate it for two different reasons. The original Ghostbusters flicks still exist so people need not go all ham as if they cease to be viewable now.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Just listened to this. Sounds awful as a sequel to Ghostbusters, but reviews online make it sound like a decent fun flick overall. That main bad guy does sound absolutely shoddy though.

Whenever I get around to seeing it I'll have to separate my brain telling me the film is Ghostbusters, and instead just a generic comedy flick.

Also a bit cringe that rumoured queef joke made it in lol.

It's not a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom