• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

AzaK

Applying specialguy logic has me concluding that the underpowered machines won. I mean just add Wii, iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad and that far exceeds the PS3 + 360. Therefore underpowered gaming machines win. I'll even allow you to NOT include the sales from the iPad3 and maybe iPad 3 which are actually pretty powerful.

A majority of video game consumers this gen preferred the HD consoles. Makes plenty of sense to say that a majority of the market prefers to have as much power as they can get in a home console.

Yep. Let's ignore the fact that the last year or two one console saw an increase in sales because people's bodies could be the controller. It was clearly due to HD.

PogiJones

Banned
A majority of video game consumers this gen preferred the HD consoles. Makes plenty of sense to say that a majority of the market prefers to have as much power as they can get in a home console.

A majority of video game consumers this gen preferred the consoles without a stand to the console with a stand. Makes plenty of sense to say that a majority of the market prefers to have no stand included with a home console.

FyreWulff

The actual percentage of people using their 360 or PS3 in HD is so low that Microsoft and Sony stopped including HD cables in the box with their console years ago. You have to go out and buy an HDMI cable or the console-specific component cables yourself.

fernoca

What about the people that buy/play HD consoles on SDTVs.
Mark Rein said something about like 50% of Xbox 360 users playing Gears 2 on SDTVs.

So, using specialguy logic it should be:
Wii (around 95 million) + 50% Xbox 360 (around 28 million) + 50% PS3 (around 25 million) = around 161 million SD users​

..or something.

:p

EDIT:
But there were Wii users that played on HDTVs..dammit!! >:O!!!

PogiJones

Banned
It would only make sense (still wouldn't be conclusive of anything) if both HD consoles together outsold two SD consoles.

The only way that makes sense is someone with a twisted point of view to suit their agenda that more power is preferred and to continue this trend.

A SINGLE non-HD system still did amazingly well with the combined sales from 2 major HD console competitors, it took them awhile to catch up, the argument falls flat and you are grasping at straws to make it seem like Nintendo loses at everything by being behind in technology.

Having 2 SD consoles wouldn't make any difference in his logic. He's saying that HD sales > SD sales, which is a true statement. But the problem with his logic is he's assuming that HD sales > SD sales SOLELY BECAUSE they're in HD. That's a faulty assumption to make. But once again, having 2 SD consoles wouldn't change the "score," because he's addressing the resolution traits, and the resolution traits only.

Dalthien

The actual percentage of people using their 360 or PS3 in HD is so low that Microsoft and Sony stopped including HD cables in the box with their console years ago. You have to go out and buy an HDMI cable or the console-specific component cables yourself.

Not only that, but in mid-2009 Mark Rein came right out and stated that more than half of Gears of War 2 players were still playing on SD televisions. And that's one of the most graphically impressive series available on home consoles. Add in the number of people on HD sets that are still using composite cables (a very significant percentage), and the percentage of people actually playing Gears 2 in a real HD setup was actually remarkably small.

Since then, the biggest boon has been Kinect, and for the love of god, I hope no one tries to claim that people have been rushing out to buy Kinect because "It's in HD!".

Having 2 SD consoles wouldn't make any difference in his logic. He's saying that HD sales > SD sales, which is a true statement. But the problem with his logic is he's assuming that HD sales > SD sales SOLELY BECAUSE they're in HD. That's a faulty assumption to make. But once again, having 2 SD consoles wouldn't change the "score," because he's addressing the resolution traits, and the resolution traits only.

Yeah, that's why I put what I did in parantheses.

Medalion

Banned
This type of logic you can use anything to prove your point

I can add up the combined sales or output of two completely unrelated companies to prove your COmpany A sucks because of whatever trend

get outta here

Kyuur

Hey guys, clearly controller motion sensor technologies is superior to controller-less motion sensor technologies: PS3 and Wii sales combined beat 360 sales after all!

Hey guys, clearly controller motion sensor technologies is superior to controller-less motion sensor technologies: PS3 and Wii sales combined beat 360 sales after all!

Yeah well customers apparently prefer consoles sold this gen by companies with an S in their name so Nintendo loses again.

This type of logic you can use anything to prove your point

I can add up the combined sales or output of two completely unrelated companies to prove your COmpany A sucks because of whatever trend

get outta here

lol, okay guys. if you want to be like that go ahead.

sure you'll have excuses when 360 alone beats wii in usa sales and hell, eventually maybe worldwide. now what?

"bubu it doesnt count cause the successor came out!"

look, you guys are the ones who should be agreeing with my point, since you're all hoping the wii u is powerful.

ok ok, you win. the powerful console never wins. therefore the wii u should be weak to ensure its victory. i agree with you guys, we're all in agreement. i hope they shoot for 50% less power than ps360 myself.

sure you'll have excuses when 360 alone beats wii in usa sales and hell, eventually maybe worldwide. now what?

Let's just focus on them possibly winning the US. Worldwide isn't happening.

The current development pipelines should transition for WiiHD I mean WiiU with relative ease.

Not when it has less shaders.

fernoca

Plus like the article said, with only one controller being able to be used it may cause an unfair advantage in local play and lead to arguments. We can't have that.
Haha..
Reminds me of that mini-game in Wii Party. The Wiimote acts like a bomb and you have to say words based on a given topic (like fruits that start with the letter T). My friends just throw the controller to each other, to avoid having it explode. :p

At least is not my controller. :p

look, you guys are the ones who should be agreeing with my point, since you're all hoping the wii u is powerful.

ok ok, you win. the powerful console never wins. therefore the wii u should be weak to ensure its victory. i agree with you guys, we're all in agreement. i hope they shoot for 50% less power than ps360 myself.
Well sure if you're going to simplify arguments.

I even expanded on the argument I figured you were alluding to. That publishers view the PS3/360/PC dev combo as a singular entity. Understandable position.

But acting like it's a foregone conclusion that the 360 makes up the 5.5 million unit deficit in America, let alone the 30 million unit deficit worldwide comes off as rash at best.

I think dividing the market by the terms "HD" and "SD" is oversimplifying; as noted above, a good chunk of PS360 owners play their games in SD. However, the difference in graphics/experience/games between the PC vs PS360 vs Wii goes deeper than resolution. The PS3 and 360 share about 90% of their lineups. A more accurate assessment would be, consoles that have "real" versions of CoD, BF, AC, RE, GTA, Madden, FIFA, NBA 2k, and RDR have proven more popular than Nintendo's offerings since 2009 or so. As most of these games are differentiated from the Wii generation of games by graphics and online features, it's easy to make a delineating line of where the market is segmented.

It's hard to predict how the next generation will pan out with there still being 3 players. The Xbox's extra horsepower was largely ignored because the PS2 was a runaway leader. The Wii was largely ignored because developers had already invested in PS3 and 360 development before it even launched. Nintendo is getting their foot in the door first, and will actually be helped a bit by strong support for the PS360 in 2012/2013 (why not do a WiiU version?). Beyond that, it could go several ways depending on how hw rumors shake out:

- Sony goes with a more conservative design, convincing most developers to ignore the 720s alleged power advantage and design games for PS4/WiiU
- Sony and MS both go all out, convincing most developers to leave Wii U behind
- Sony and MS both go with modest designs, giving us a 3-headed situation like GCN/PS2/Xbox
- Sony and MS both go all out, it guts developers left and right, and they go back to making PS360 and Wii U games for the next 5 years
- Wii U explodes out of the gate, everyone else gets Dreamcasted, Nintendo prints money

donny2112

- Sony and MS both go with modest designs, giving us a 3-headed situation like GCN/PS2/Xbox

Probably one of these two, but I still wouldn't think they'd "leave Wii U behind" like Wii was this generation. This gen, they had all this infrastructure built-up on Day 1 that was almost totally useless on Wii. Shouldn't be the case this time around. Could definitely see some Wii U ports being skipped if the engines don't easily port down and/or sales don't hold up on the system, though. Next-gen engine compatibility is the main thing I'm interested in seeing for Wii U from E3.

I'm loving the back and forward of the powerfulness of the WiiU.

In my head I'm splitting the difference and assuming it will be on par with the PS3 and 360 (much like the Wii was on par with the previous gen IMO).

When's this thing meant to come out again? Any chance of a Saturn style reveal?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

The Gamecube's bigger than it looks, they just used a vertical orientation to disguise it... I'd imagine a space comparison would show it's bigger than the N64 for sure, though I'd expect that given that it has a disc drive.

Much of the Gamecube's volume is empty do to the 3 unused expansion ports on the bottom.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Someone ought to shrink-wrap the consoles and submerge them in water in order to get their true volume.

Orayn

I think dividing the market by the terms "HD" and "SD" is oversimplifying; as noted above, a good chunk of PS360 owners play their games in SD. However, the difference in graphics/experience/games between the PC vs PS360 vs Wii goes deeper than resolution. The PS3 and 360 share about 90% of their lineups. A more accurate assessment would be, consoles that have "real" versions of CoD, BF, AC, RE, GTA, Madden, FIFA, NBA 2k, and RDR have proven more popular than Nintendo's offerings since 2009 or so. As most of these games are differentiated from the Wii generation of games by graphics and online features, it's easy to make a delineating line of where the market is segmented.

It's hard to predict how the next generation will pan out with there still being 3 players. The Xbox's extra horsepower was largely ignored because the PS2 was a runaway leader. The Wii was largely ignored because developers had already invested in PS3 and 360 development before it even launched. Nintendo is getting their foot in the door first, and will actually be helped a bit by strong support for the PS360 in 2012/2013 (why not do a WiiU version?). Beyond that, it could go several ways depending on how hw rumors shake out:

- Sony goes with a more conservative design, convincing most developers to ignore the 720s alleged power advantage and design games for PS4/WiiU
- Sony and MS both go all out, it guts developers left and right, and they go back to making PS360 and Wii U games for the next 5 years
- Wii U explodes out of the gate, everyone else gets Dreamcasted, Nintendo prints money

Another GC/PS2/Xbox situation strikes me as very likely, though perhaps with a somewhat wider gap in power depending on how MS and Sony decide to play this. I'm personally hoping they opt for svelte, conservatively spec'd boxes with a $400 price point for the main SKU.

D.Lo

Clearly the market is segmented, but that means at best MSony managed to create an uneasy money-losing duopoly.

The default 3rd party development environment is thus an accidental coallition of worst enemies. In Japan, portables because the default development environment as no console at all gained great traction, though the Wii was the clear winner it was a distant third after two handhelds.

Nintendo also has the situation where they fight in this industry on two fronts (console and handheld) and while winning both, they had to pull troops from the console battle to launch their next handheld battle. Sony lucked out in one sense, because of the PS360 duopoly the PS3 gets 3rd party support it wouldn't have if it were the only platform in the category, and so continued to chug along nicely with releases while the Wii, which trounced it, whimpers without Nintendo's full development backing thanks to the 3DS focus.

If it wasn't for the 3DS or Nintendo's need for the 3DS in Japan we would have already had a new Nintendo console no doubt, and the Wii/Wii2 transition would have been much smoother and better supported.

Much of the Gamecube's volume is empty do to the 3 unused expansion ports on the bottom.

You're right that those do take up a good bit of space, but two of the three ports are used, you know... only that really small one next to the modem port wasn't used.

And on that note, the GC's even bigger with the GBA player attached to it.

Gahiggidy

You're right that those do take up a good bit of space, but two of the three ports are used, you know... only that really small one next to the modem port wasn't used.

And on that note, the GC's even bigger with the GBA player attached to it.

Good point. I think the only way to know for sure is to take all the consoles and throw everything out except for the motherboards, the heat-sinks, and fans.

Perkel

Banned
So people believe that Nintendo will release console:

- True Next-gen in therm of power
- With controler that has lcd display
- 300$

Only two things from that list can be achieved. And by looking at size of hardware they won't be dealing with heat. Less heat = mediacore hardware. Looking at things it will be only just small tier above this generation. It's fine by me if they focus more on creative side.

As of techology demo. It proves my point above.
As it looks pleasing to eyes it's more artful design than technological marvel.

From my perspective:
- Fantastic lighting engine
- Mediacore textures
- Good polycount but still it's nothing amazing
- 720p @ 30 fps with absolutely no aa. This is most worring problem. Nextgen should render games in 1080p with atleast 30 fps and with good AA and AF

If this 720p point will stand then we have again Wii situation in therms of power.

Perkel

Banned
If you think Microsoft and Sony will enforce 1080p on their platforms, you are sorely mistaken.

No but 1080p on current Pcs is nothing amazing and since there are already games on current consoles that already do 1080p it's nothing unthinkable to consider 1080p as standard for nextgen consoles.

Same thing happened SD --> HD

zoukka

No but 1080p on current Pcs is nothing amazing and since there are already games on current consoles that already do 1080p it's nothing unthinkable to consider 1080p as standard for nextgen consoles.

Same thing happened SD --> HD

It depends on the developers. The TV standard won't change next gen and if masses can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p, there is no benefit in aiming so high.

Mudkips

Banned
It's 2012 and people still can't accept that the Wii isn't just successful, it's the clear market leader of the generation in terms of hardware, software, and the only thing that really matters - profit.

Perkel

Banned
It depends on the developers. The TV standard won't change next gen and if masses can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p, there is no benefit in aiming so high.

There is a big diffrence. If you think jump from 1080p is not noticable then SD-->HD either would be insignificant.

Mainly it's image quality that will help games being jaggiesfree but also it will help assets to shine. Most consoles ports to PC don't gain from highervres much because those have low res textures.

If you have 1080p capable tv try to run Anno 1470 in 720p and in 1080p. 1080p looks just amazing in that game.

Same was with FF12 art assets were too good for 480p. On emulator game shines with a lot of good textures. Aliasing was hiding texture details.

Top Bottom