• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GM stuns... Chevy Bolt wins Motortrend's 2017 Car of the Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really did not expect this, but massive kudos to GM and Chevy for making an amazing car that is also an EV. I can't stand the looks of it still, but it seems, based on the review, they grow on you.

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-2017-car-of-the-year/

Key excerpts:
Perhaps the most impressive thing about the Bolt EV is there are no caveats, no “for an electric car” qualifiers needed in any discussion. It is, simply, a world-class small car, and that’s before you factor in the benefits inherent in the smoothness, silence, and instant-on torque provided by the electric motor.

It’s not quite correct to say the Bolt EV drives just like a regular small hatchback, because, fundamentally, it drives better than most regular small hatchbacks. The under-floor battery pack keeps most of the mass low in the chassis—and between the wheels. The front-to-rear weight distribution of 56/44 percent is better than any small front-drive car in this year’s field, and it’s not far off the 54/46 of the tossable rear-drive Fiat 124 Spider. “If this car were fitted with a set of grippy tires, it’d be a helluva hot hatch,” road test editor Chris Walton said. “I’d put it against a Mazda3 or Golf for fun per mile.”

The engineering excellence isn’t confined to all the electric powertrain hardware and software, either. The front seats feature an industry-first ultra-slim design that uses a metal framework and a flexible plastic shell lined with a very thin layer of foam. Up to seven devices can connect to the available 4G LTE onboard Wi-Fi hot spot, and up to 10 phones can connect to the car. Drive data can be recorded and shared, so Bolt EV owners can compare miles/kW-hr, energy regeneration, and climate efficiency.

What’s more significant, however, is the Bolt EV makes a solid value case even against conventional small cars. In terms of its performance levels, the Bolt EV is not that far off a DSG-equipped Golf GTI; only 0.4 second slower to 60 mph and over the quarter mile. And after the rebate is taken into consideration, it’s basically the same price. “Range is no longer the limiting factor, and price has been taken out of the equation,” Ed Loh said. “The primary barriers have fallen away, and it’s getting tougher to find use cases for which the Bolt EV cannot work.”

All of this sounds amazing and will make me reconsider a Model 3 to some extent. I'm still hopeful that Tesla can outdo the Bolt, but I will wait till the final Model 3 details are revealed.

Nonetheless, this is extremely impressive. Especially when you consider the fact that the Chevy Volt won Motortrend's 2011 Car of the Year. GM is hitting it out of the park with their green vehicles.

Charge me if old.

Wag

I live in a 3rd floor walk-up. Do you think my neighbors would mind if I ran a really long extension cord?

mcfrank

Glad to hear it is good. I have a model 3 preorder and it seems like a better deal, but more competition the better.

I have a Model 3 preorder and I'm a pretty big supporter of Tesla but I have to give GM credit where it's due, they got to the market a full year earlier in the $35,000 price range than Tesla is planning to and the car doesn't suck.

I still want the Model 3 in the hopes that one day I'll get in the car and take a nap and when I wake up I'll be at work.

Paertan

I've had my eyes on this since reveal and glad to see it holding up to the hype. Another step towards electrical cars becoming the norm. Probably not buying a new car for many years but it sure as hell will be EV.

sfedai0

Banned
Its quite an ugly car, but some people can get past that. What I absolutely can not forgive is a shit interior. That interior has a disgusting two tone interior thats comprised entirely of cheap plastic.

FinKL

Just use a usb powerbank.
Lol!

Chevy and GM seem to be putting a lot of features in their new cars like wifi which is cool. Hope the reliability comes up though vs the Japanese autos.

Personally I'm waiting for autonomous driving before purchasing so whichever company hits that at mainstream prices is where I'll be at.

Bolt looks good, has good value, and even I think Ballmer said this was the real deal over Tesla currently

I want to get a small compact car next year (for easier downtown travel) and the Bolt is definitely on the list to test drive.
If money is an issue I've run into Nissan Leafs which are $10k at dealerships which blew my mind because the MSRP is >$32k. Full EV but kinda tiny

SRG01

Lol!

Chevy and GM seem to be putting a lot of features in their new cars like wifi which is cool. Hope the reliability comes up though vs the Japanese autos.

Personally I'm waiting for autonomous driving before purchasing so whichever company hits that at mainstream prices is where I'll be at.

Bolt looks good, has good value, and even I think Ballmer said this was the real deal over Tesla currently

If money is an issue I've run into Nissan Leafs which are $10k at dealerships which blew my mind because the MSRP is >$32k. Full EV but kinda tiny

They're following in the steps of Hyundai in terms of the value proposition. GM knows that they can't compete on image, so they have to make the features attractive enough for the price.

Chevy cars are usually better than most people believe...

fwpx

I have the Volt, which is the 55 miles of EV, and then gas backup.

I've driven 2k miles so far and never put a drop of gas in it. I am still absolutely in love with it.

br3wnor

I hope to move to an EV for my commuting car down the road, but I feel like I'll always need to have at least a hybrid as my wife's car due to the range issues. 99% of the time we wouldn't go over the 240 or w/e this is rated at but it would be annoying to want to take a road trip or vacation and be limited as to how far we can go in a day.

Pagusas

Elden Member
my hybrid is coming up on 5 years old, its about time I start looking at new cars and the bolt is on my list. I find it ugly, but my current Soanta Hybrid isn't exactly pretty either.

I worry it will fill too small though, being a 6ft tall guy. I'm also worried about switching over to full EV givin that it will be something new for me, and I worry about forgetting to charge the car at night than not having a way to get to work (I work about 30 miles away, so 60 miles round trip a day if I make no other stops).

br3wnor

They're following in the steps of Hyundai in terms of the value proposition. GM knows that they can't compete on image, so they have to make the features attractive enough for the price.

Chevy cars are usually better than most people believe...

We recently got an Equinox and I'm really impressed by overall build quality and the car in general. Chevy really has stepped their game up.

Amory

“Simply put, it’s twice the car for half the price of a BMW i3,” guest judge Chris Theodore said. “A better car, better package, much better handling, with twice the range.”

Even the folks at Tesla, the electric vehicle masters of the universe, have been put on notice: The Bolt EV sets a benchmark for value and performance they’ll have to work overtime to match. “This is a direct challenge for Tesla to make the Model 3 anything near the Bolt EV for the same price,” executive editor Mark Rechtin said. “Chevrolet has made affordable long-range electric transportation available to the masses. Elon Musk should be afraid. Very, very afraid.”

Very impressive. Nice job Chevy, I'll look at one next time I'm in the market. By then, maybe the infrastructure will have caught up a little more with the vehicle technology.

Guevara

2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-front-three-quarter-in-motion-e1479153066341.jpg

Some day they'll figure out how to make the thing attractive.

smisk

Gonna hold onto my car for another couple years but I'm definitely gonna get an EV for my next vehicle. Good to know there will be a couple affordable options!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not surprised that the car is good because my Volt is awesome and it seems to be the same team of engineers behind both cars. I wish it was better looking though, but I guess it looks in line with other tall hatchbacks(Mazda5, Honda Fit etc.).

Bookoo

Well damn, I have vowed to never buy another Chevy after my 2009 Chevy Malibu broke down constantly. Transmission eventually went up at 77k miles.

Just bought a new car, but my next one will probably be an EV.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I am in a really weird position. I have a big SUV that I will give my wife when she gets her license.

I'm torn between this or a... Hellcat. I know it doesn't make sense. I commute 120km per day so I'm like do I want to save money or have fun/possibly kill myself?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hope to move to an EV for my commuting car down the road, but I feel like I'll always need to have at least a hybrid as my wife's car due to the range issues. 99% of the time we wouldn't go over the 240 or w/e this is rated at but it would be annoying to want to take a road trip or vacation and be limited as to how far we can go in a day.

You could rent a car then if you abosolutly wanted to switch over to EV exclusive. 99% of your time is a lot.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
looks fine by me. may need to pick on up when they're available now that I don't have any car payments. ugh, just thinking about getting it registered an insurance prices tho, idk. sure do want one though.

whitehawk

Banned
my hybrid is coming up on 5 years old, its about time I start looking at new cars and the bolt is on my list. I find it ugly, but my current Soanta Hybrid isn't exactly pretty either.

I worry it will fill too small though, being a 6ft tall guy. I'm also worried about switching over to full EV givin that it will be something new for me, and I worry about forgetting to charge the car at night than not having a way to get to work (I work about 30 miles away, so 60 miles round trip a day if I make no other stops).
5 years is old now? Mine is 18 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom