• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GM stuns... Chevy Bolt wins Motortrend's 2017 Car of the Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezrarh

Stats look great. I won't need a new car for another 5 years or so but am excited at where the technology is heading.

Madness

Charges upto 90 miles of travel in 30 mins. Anyone who commutes to work knows the cost of gas and whatnot. But good to see electric vehicles start to dominate and win accolades. They should be using these cars for taxis in places like NY and other more polluted areas. Increase investment in charging stations and whatnot. Yeah I know many have adopted Prius or other hybrids.

Sounds like a great car, will have to consider it when we have to buy a new car. My wife is 100% anti American cars though, always raised believing japanese cars are the only ones that are reliable and its really hard breaking that mentality imo.

As a taller/bigger guy I prefer an SUV to a lower riding car, so hoping a few more SUV EVs start rolling out.

grumble

Well damn, I have vowed to never buy another Chevy after my 2009 Chevy Malibu broke down constantly. Transmission eventually went up at 77k miles.

Just bought a new car, but my next one will probably be an EV.

Not much of a power train to break in an ev. No gears, engine barely has moving parts. Should last forever, basically. Just have to replace the battery, brakes and shocks.

SRG01

Not much of a power train to break in an ev. No gears, engine barely has moving parts. Should last forever, basically. Just have to replace the battery, brakes and shocks.

Anecdotally, I once found a stockpile of DC electric motors from old satellites. They still worked fine after 20+ years of sitting on a shelf, haha!

Anyhow, the only thing that can break in an electric motor -- an AC one at that -- is if the windings fail, and that would only happen with a physical defect or if there was too much current.

Vlaphor

Ok, I'm not necessarily in the market for a new car now (though my current one is 14 years old), but if I were, I'd be interested in a hybrid. What I'm curious about is how exactly do they work.

Do I have to plug it into a house outlet? How much does that draw/add to the electricity bill/how long does it take

Most of my driving is in town, but I occasionally like to go to Kansas City to do some fun stuff, and that's a 60 mile drive just getting there, not to mention driving around the town and getting back. I know most cars can go 60 or so miles between charges, so how would that work?

What about diminished battery life? As batteries drain, they hold less and less each time, so how is the drain on most hybrids

Kill3r7

Still too expensive and the Tesla 3 next year will prove to be a better deal or at the very least a more attractive vehicle.

Cake Boss

Banned
Is there an actual legitimate reason as to why these electric cars are so ugly? There is a reason why Tesla received half a million pre orders for a car that doesn't exist yet. Shit actually looks like a normal car astatic wise, plus the benefits of it being electric. Article seems hyperbolic saying Elon musk should be scared, Musk should only be scared of not meeting the demand of the Model 3 orders.

I'm seriously considering one next year. I like the looks of the Tesla Model 3 better, but by the time I'm able to get my hands on one, I'm sure the federal tax rebate will be gone for Tesla. This Bolt looks like a cool EV to me, and would cover 95% of my needs

Is there an actual legitimate reason as to why these electric cars are so ugly? There is a reason why Tesla received half a million pre orders for a car that doesn't exist yet. Shit actually looks like a normal car astatic wise, plus the benefits of it being electric. Article seems hyperbolic saying Elon musk should be scared, Musk should only be scared of not meeting the demand of the Model 3 orders.

I think back in the day there was some research done about what people who invested in EV's/Hybrids liked, and being "unique" or "recognizable" was something that was constantly brought up.

xptoxyz

I'm not sure on this, and I think the reasons for what you call "ugly" are varied.

I tend to remember aero playing a heavy part in the design, and remember this is aero on functional cars, not compromising day to day use such as in a sports car.

And also let's not pretend square-ish car wasn't already a thing in cars like some people like to pretend and attribute solely to electrics. Honda Fit/Jazz, Mitsubishi Colt are just a couple examples.

AndyD

aka andydumi
In our testing, the Bolt EV easily makes its EPA-certified range of 238 miles in normal driving conditions.

This is stunning. Really incredible as it can really go for days for an average person.

v1lla21

All of those dumbass focus groups gobsmacked by anything that smug bastard from the commercials says must be thrilled.
Lol my favorite part in the commercials is when they say the car looks like a BMW.

This is cool but the car is ugly as fuck. I'd probably end up going with the newer e-golf.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Too bad it looks like it was designed by Homer Simpson.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
LOL Motor Trend gave to 2002 Thunderbird. That's all you need to know about awards given out by dying die tree media.
They have a massive online presence. Even if they kill the publication, they'll survive.

The parent company already went through a consolidation process in 2014.

How many of them would GM be able to make yearly given a strong demand?

They are planning on making around 30,000 in the initial run. After that who knows. Probably will depend on how the first wave goes.

Damn, sorry, I had no idea. I stand corrected.

Don't be sorry, put a preorder down! Actually probably don't, as they are 400,000 preorders deep and no one knows when it will actually launch, how much it will actually cost, what the actual standard features are, and how many they will be able to make the first year or every year.

Sigh.

Heretic

They are planning on making around 30,000 in the initial run. After that who knows. Probably will depend on how the first wave goes.

Don't be sorry, put a preorder down! Actually probably don't, as they are 400,000 preorders deep and no one knows when it will actually launch, how much it will actually cost, what the actual standard features are, and how many they will be able to make the first year or every year.

Sigh.

The waiting sucks but I'm beyond excited for it!

East Lake

I'm not sure on this, and I think the reasons for what you call "ugly" are varied.

I tend to remember aero playing a heavy part in the design, and remember this is aero on functional cars, not compromising day to day use such as in a sports car.

And also let's not pretend square-ish car wasn't already a thing in cars like some people like to pretend and attribute solely to electrics. Honda Fit/Jazz, Mitsubishi Colt are just a couple examples.
They they sacrificed aero for space in this case, though they didn't design it to have a front trunk either.

General Motors traded off some aerodynamics for utility when it came to designing the Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle, according to the model's lead designer. That will mean a spacious-feeling five-door vehicle with a hatchback and a fair amount of cargo space, Automotive News says. It also means what the EV's design team leader Stuart Norris called a "disaster for aero."

The car has a drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.32. By comparison, the Toyota Prius has a Cd of 0.24, while the Tesla Model 3 will record a downright-slippery 0.21 figure. The Bolt was designed at GM's South Korea design studio, which has about 190 employees working on 10 vehicle projects. The studio, which is also responsible for the Sonic, Cruze, and Spark, is the automaker's third-largest in the world behind its US and Europe studios.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/10/chevy-bolts-aero-disaster-but-big-inside/

I am probably going to get a new car next year. This is definitely on the list of contenders that I'd like to test drive. I've driven small cars before and I don't mind, as long as there's decent headroom for a tall-ish guy (6'3")

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Bump -- just picked up our Bolt EV last night!

eEvTnIk.jpg

Loaded Premiere. I haven't driven it yet (it's my wife's). She had a blast driving it home last night, said it's really quick & fun to drive. It had only been off the truck for about 3 hours when we picked it up, so it didn't have a full charge. The staff at the dealership were all really excited about the car!

Bump -- just picked up our Bolt EV last night!

eEvTnIk.jpg

Loaded Premiere. I haven't driven it yet (it's my wife's). She had a blast driving it home last night, said it's really quick & fun to drive. It had only been off the truck for about 3 hours when we picked it up, so it didn't have a full charge. The staff at the dealership were all really excited about the car!

Congratulations looks awesome.

h1nch

While I'm not a huge fan of the exterior design, I wouldn't call it ugly. In terms of subcompacts, I think the Bolt looks way better than the Leaf and even the current-gen Prius.

I'm still sticking with my Tesla pre-order. My goal is to get as loaded of a model 3 as I can for around 50k. I'm hoping that winds up being Autopilot + upgraded engine at least.

SpecX

My Volt continues to be reliable and incredible. Great car.
Good to hear, my local dealer just put a used 15 model on the market for $14k and I'm thinking about going to check it out today. Been interested in the Volt since they revealed them way back and seriously looking to get a fuel efficient vehicle like this to commute locally without using up gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom