• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 art leaks (Norse setting, Kratos w/ beard) [Up2: Polygon says real]

Which part of God of War 4 are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daft Punk

Banned
I think people are not understanding that Kratos is an iconic character now amongst gamers. Why would Sony throw away an established character just because people complained? He's going to another mythology now and has to deal with their own problems and issues. That's good enough for me.

God of War 3 leaves Kratos in a really interesting place if you ask me. What does the man, who lived for revenge, once that thirst is fulfilled?

Kratos could be totally different.

Veelk

Banned
No one complained about briging all characters from apst MGS games in MGS4

Where the hell were you during the witch hunts for the game? It being bloated with an unnecessary amount of call backs, whether it was for the sake of being callbacks or to poorly revise the character, being one of the top complaints, one I happen to agree with.

Also, different situation, as Snake's story was not complete as of mg2, since we left him at the moment the true antagonists were revealed. Kratos' story on the other hand was done.

JZA

Don't get all the hate for Kratos. That being said, I think it would be interesting if Kratos was maybe some kind of mentor character for this game. It would be cool if the main character worshiped Kratos as part of a cult or something, then the entire game you think you're doing Kratos' bidding, only to find out he's the real bad guy and final boss.

As someone who only recently bought a PS4 the idea that I'll be stuck with the B-tier version of this game (and surely many others) is really annoying.
I wish PS4K rumors had started sooner, all this time spent on gaming sites and I still fell into this trap.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Kinda remembered how good the marble tiles and flooring looked on GoW3 - can't wait to see that on a PS4 with all the new lighting tech out there + improved texture quality.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And its getting a fresh start.

You know the main character of the franchise going to different worlds and such which I find much more interesting.

Bringing Kratos to other universes like Soul Calibur and especially MK9 worked so fine. and didn't feel contradictory or irrelevent. In fact MK9 is about the asian deities and Kratos dealt well with Raiden and Fujin at the end.

That is what I am expecting too. SSM and Cory Barlog aren't dumb to work all these years for such disappointment. I am sure everyone will be surprised.

Naughty Dog moved on from Jak and Daxter.
Guerrilla has moved on from Killzone

Why can't Santa Monica Studios move on from Kratos?

I think people are not understanding that Kratos is an iconic character now amongst gamers. Why would Sony throw away an established character just because people complained? He's going to another mythology now and has to deal with their own problems and issues. That's good enough for me.

See my statement above. It happens.

pixelation

i am worried about the combat, if he only has that tiny axe then the combat will feel pretty tame and unsatisfying when compared to the blades of chaos.

AAK

It was Odin all along who manipulated Kratos to kill his whole family! Ares was actually under Odin's command.

As someone who only recently bought a PS4 the idea that I'll be stuck with the B-tier version of this game (and surely many others) is really annoying.
I wish PS4K rumors had started sooner, all this time spent on gaming sites and I still fell into this trap.

NOBODY saw this coming. We all fell for this trap.

GnawtyDog

Banned

See my statement above. It happens.

Yes they were going to, the game got cancelled (for whatever reason), deep enough in development which resulted in the substantial layoffs. Meanwhile the studio is getting funded in the millions and needs to ship something...thus, a "safe IP"...risks are still taken anyhow. A bit of business reasoning with a bit of bad luck on the studio side. The studio was given the opportunity, as they earned it. We do not know however the real details of the cancellation.

Stike

Sorry for going off topic, but I decided to dig deeper into the artist's profile on Instagram. Now I'm not confirming or trying to spread a rumor, but he also seemed to be developing art for a Western concept. Could that be for the new Red Dead?
I've noticed some hashtags like #gamedesign, #videogame and #conceptdesign . Also the project started in February, and stated that it's an exploration of the American Frontier and Wild West.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4hPbnnQpG/?taken-by=fmacmanus
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCulLeKHQtC/?taken-by=fmacmanus
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCkLYaRnQhf/?taken-by=fmacmanus
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCJDFqXHQkQ/?taken-by=fmacmanus
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCaogSDHQvY/?taken-by=fmacmanus

Is this thread worthy?

No, those pics were not under any NDA (hence why they are public and still online) and thus they are not related to any actual project. This is not Red Dead.

DrunkDan

So... Everyone says they hate Kratos and want a new stting. They do a new setting, and disguise Kratos with a beard.

Everyone here says that (well not everyone, but many people) but that doesn't account for the millions that buy the games. This is probably a vocal minority and as such I imagine that it will be Kratos in the next game.

Personally I'd prefer him but wouldn't be too bothered should it be a new character or some type of reincarnation. Would seem a bit silly to remove the iconic character for the PS4 game, especially seeing as many PS4 owners may have only changed consoles this generation. I thought that was also the thinking behind the release of GOW3, to whet the appetite for this.

i am worried about the combat, if he only has that tiny axe then the combat will feel pretty tame and unsatisfying when compared to the blades of chaos.

I doubt they dropped the blades, they're even more synonymous with GoW than Kratos himself, axe is Probably a secondary weapon, all GoW games have them.
Sticking with Kratos but dropping the blades would be a really Weird decision.

Stike

I doubt they dropped the blades, they're even synonymous with GoW than Kratos himself, axe is Probably a secondary weapon, all GoW games have them.
Sticking with Kratos but dropping the blades would be a really Weird decision.

Those artworks just contain some mock-up model of "new" Kratos. A LOT of stuff could have happened since then. Maybe the axe was just the artists idea and isn't even a weapon - anything is possible. To conclude from what we saw to gameplay and weapons is very far-fetched IMHO.

So weapons do you guys expect this time around?

I don't know what to expect, honestly i'm not that familiar with norse mithology... Thor's Hammer? Some cool dual wielding axe? A sword forged with a Fenrir's fang? What about the magic powers?

I'm really curious about the enemies personally... I would really like some regular enemies to be really big, go bigger in scale with mobs too. Like that cyclops that they wanted to include in gow3 but they didn't include it for some reason that i can't remember.

;)

I hope we will see
Kratos travel to persian empire and mythology in the next episode like any logic requires. I hope we will get different mythologies with each episode.

I imagine that in this case every new game will be really intense/long if you have to destroy an entire pantheon of gods in just one game, i can't even *o*

Fumpster

I'm really not a huge fan of God of War (even though I did finish 1 and 2 and most of 3), but man, I really like the look of this concept art. I love the use of colour, could be a cool contrast to the bloody nature of the game.

i-Jest

I for one am happy to see him, if this is in fact Kratos and this next game is in fact a true sequel to GOW 3.

Let the flame wars resume.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes they were going to, the game got cancelled (for whatever reason), deep enough in development which resulted in the substantial layoffs. Meanwhile the studio is getting funded in the millions and needs to ship something...thus, a "safe IP"...risks are still taken anyhow. A bit of business reasoning with a bit of bad luck on the studio side. The studio was given the opportunity, as they earned it. We do not know however the real details of the cancellation.

That's true. Ugh.......if that's the case then I guess I'll do Kratos one more time.

haxamin

Update 2:

Kratos is back

awxccTl.png

Did kratos have a baby with Joel?

Edit: Also...
hqdefault.jpg

They created new IPs from scratch with everything different even the game types. SSM isn't inventing a new IP. They need to keep some elements from the previous episodes, if not the setting then thehero (or anti-hero).

That's true. Ugh.......if that's the case then I guess I'll do Kratos one more time.

Give the dude another chance. From his new design he looks redeemed and not overpowered. This may lead to another view about him.

A-V-B

Agreed. If the protagonist is the literal God of War, he should be 100% rage, death, and revelry in combat. I don't give a shit about characterization beyond that. Any "woe is me" or "why must this violence happen" storytelling does not fit the tone. It didn't work when they did it with Kratos, it wouldn't work with a new protag. If they do it right, we shouldn't feel bad about killing the gods because that's the tone of the series. Kill them because they're assholes, that's it.

You guys know that Athena was also a goddess of war, right? Just the strategic aspect, as opposed to Ares who was the bloodthirsty carnal aspect.

Oh boy, did you know what happened to my Andromeda leak thread? Fucking gone and deleted from GAF.
Linking to it only shows an error message: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1203574

Something's wrong, seriously. How is this kind of censorship possible?

Yeah, I noticed that late last night. I saved one of the pages but sadly not the first one. Kinda BS; there was some good, valuable discussion in that thread.

Everyone here says that (well not everyone, but many people) but that doesn't account for the millions that buy the games. This is probably a vocal minority and as such I imagine that it will be Kratos in the next game.

Personally I'd prefer him but wouldn't be too bothered should it be a new character or some type of reincarnation. Would seem a bit silly to remove the iconic character for the PS4 game, especially seeing as many PS4 owners may have only changed consoles this generation. I thought that was also the thinking behind the release of GOW3, to whet the appetite for this.

Story wise, it'd make tons of sense to replace him. For one, His story was well done imo with 2. And I actually liked him up until then. Plus with a new mythology, his fanfiction gary stu nature steps itself up a notch in abrasiveness. And more than anything, Kratos would be fantastic as a villain. All great story reasons to not make him the hero.
As for marketing reasons, as the villain, they could still put him on the box and all over the trailers. Plus notable other series have attempted a main character switch without going up in flames.(suprisingly enough as first entries on a new console as well), DMC Metal Gear for instance. And their mains weren't reviled like Kratos is. The switches also didn't take, but that didn't stop mgs2 from being the best selling mgs ever.
Point is, it's certainly not suicide to switch him out.

Still not sure I believe this, but I would be very interested to hear what the story would be with this. And as I said before, that concept art leaves something to be desired, way below SSM's usual standard.

Veelk

Banned
They created new IPs from scratch with everything different even the game types. SSM isn't inventing a new IP. They need to keep some elements from the previous episodes, if not the setting then thehero (or anti-hero).
No they don't. They have absolutely no obligation to reuse Kratos. Plenty of games have continued IPs with a new protagonist.

I agree that they need to reuse elements of the older series to maintain the IP, but those elements can be conceptual. GOW isn't about Kratos, it's about an angry man who perceives he's been wronged and is killing God's and other mythological figures in cinematic and brutal ways in a game whose design and production values are through the roof to get his vengeance. Kratos and Greek Mythology were merely the means those concepts were realized in, but they could have employed a different main character and setting to do that. Include the essential identity markers of God of War, and you have God of War, regardless of surface details like character names.

Personally, I wish they'd gone with the legend of Zelda route and reincorperated all the aspects of the series identity into a new incarnation. Kratos going into a different mythology just feels stupid to me, especially since his character arc definitively concluded in 3. But I'd be down with Norse Kratos going on the same path, but in his own narrative path.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Still not sure I believe this, but I would be very interested to hear what the story would be with this. And as I said before, that concept art leaves something to be desired, way below SSM's usual standard.

It's by an 18 yr old intern who worked there for 4 months. They have several concept artists. We aren't even sure if these concepts made their way into the game the way they're shown.

No they don't. They have absolutely no obligation to reuse Kratos. Plenty of games have continued IPs with a new protagonist.

I agree that they need to reuse elements of the older series to maintain the IP, but those elements can be conceptual. GOW isn't about Kratos, it's about an angry man who perceives he's been wronged and is killing God's and other mythological figures in cinematic and brutal ways in a game whose design and production values are through the roof to get his vengeance. Kratos and Greek Mythology were merely the means those concepts were realized in, but they could have employed a different main character and setting to do that.

Personally, I wish they'd gone with the legend of Zelda route and reincorperated all the aspects of the series identity into a new incarnation. Kratos going into a different mythology just feels stupid to me, especially since his character arc definitively concluded in 3.

I agree that going to a new mythology is stupid, and it makes even less sense for Kratos to be in it. Since we know they are making God of War, I would have preferred a reboot of the series with a different protagonist. And there are endless things they can do with Greek mythology still. People that argue that there is nothing left to do with Greek mythology are silly.

MAX PAYMENT

I hope it's a Norse version of Kratos and not the exact character from previous games.

Like an alternate dimension or some shit.

Memento

I just realized that we will probably use Thor's hammer when the new Kratos inevitably kills him. How awesome is that? Wow.

BibiMaghoo

No one complained about briging all characters from past MGS games in MGS4 from Eva to Vamp to Naomi to Mei Ling, Meryl (which everyone thought she was dead according to one fo the many endings of MGS1) to Big Boss and the very old Major Zero, he even revived the MGS1 bosses in new characters and we even visited Shadow Moses and fought using the damaged Metal Gear Rex from MGS1.

This is factually and unequivocally incorrect. A fucking staggering number of people complained about the shoehorning of every character under the sun into the game for it's own sake. It is a common and often cited complaint of the game, because it resulted in plot sorcery of the highest order, and hours and hours of pointless bloat.

Alienous

I hope it's a Norse version of Kratos and not the exact character from previous games.

Like an alternate dimension or some shit.

I'm the opposite.

I'd like a returned Kratos rather than doing the exact same story. Kratos can't retread the same ground, but a new character easily could.

I'm interested in Kratos taking on a new mythology for new reasons.

Elfstruck

Who said anything about GG moved on from Killzone? They have 2 teams at Guerrilla, and one of them is potentially working on the next KZ. Hurst did say that they want to return to the KZ's universe in the future.

Veelk

Banned
I'm the opposite.

I'd like a returned Kratos rather than doing the exact same story. Kratos can't retread the same ground, but a new character easily could.

I'm interested in Kratos taking on a new mythology for new reasons.
No, it's the opposite. Why is Kratos going to kill the Norse mythos? Why, because they will kinda sort of manipulate him, which he will take to be the WORST THING EVER, and kill them all. Because that's what ALWAYS happens. Anything else would be inexplicably out of character. The man is the most violent drama queen of all time.

Only a new character can take on the Norse mythology with an actual new mindset, new set of justifications. Even if they were to go with a similar story, family dying, they can explore that with a character that doesn't irrationally blame all his problems on others. That'd be something new.

Top Bottom