• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

On a side note, it's kinda interesting that this and shadow of the collosus are both releasing in the PS4's 5th year, same year the original shadow and god of war released during ps2's lifecycle. Wonder if that was planned on Sony's part 🤔

The second game? how? It completely goes backwards in terms the development Kratos went through in the first title. And its probably the only GoW where rooting for Kratos over Zeus doesnt make sense. Zeus just wanted Kratos to stop his army from pretty much conquering the world, but he wouldnt listen. And the rest of the story is the God of War going crazy about killing him without ever thinking that maybe he"s the one who fucked up.

I wouldnt expect a deep story from GoW, but the first title actually raised my expectations. So when I played its sequel I couldnt understand what happened to the writers
Yeah, I was going off memory when I made that comment. Stuff like the last spartan was effective IMO. But then I re-read the plot summary and...yeah...

They need to put this front and center in one of their future trailers.
It's occasionally mentioned in various q&a's but this is such an outstanding feature that needs to be broadly communicated.

While they haven't mentioned it in trailers, if you go back and watch the reveal you'll see that it's all one shot. There's even that cool moment where the troll is speaking to Kratos and he can't understand the language and then the camera shifts to the perspective of Atreus and you can hear the troll say "Wait!".

Idk I just got so turned off by GOW 3 Kratos and his serial killer haunt through Olympus that I have major trepidation for this game. Seeing the World Serpent realized in such a way was amazing but part of me had to think "oh, I wonder what needlessly brutal way Kratos will end up skewering this god."

MCD250

Re: Kratos' characterization, the PSP games also attempt to humanize him a little bit more by delving into his background and his relationships with his family - his daughter in Chains of Olympus and his brother in Ghost of Sparta. It always felt a bit pat to me though, because his overall personality in those games is generally still that of a sociopathic hate machine. The new game is pretty much the first time his demeanor seems focused on things other than anger and killing, at least to a great extent.

And this is probably gonna sound a little weird, but I don't know how easy it would have been to sell the shift in his character if they'd kept to the old games' style. I feel like by making the setting more detailed and realistic and placing the camera firmly within the world (behind Kratos) rather than pulled back like in the old games, it becomes easier to buy into the idea that this is a "real" world, and that by extension the people who live in it (e.g., Kratos) are also "real" people who possess threedimensional aspects to their lives ans personalities beyond being angry and wanting to kill everything in sight.

Simo

"Playable", or are they just talking about the button that makes the son attack?

It made it sound like he was playable at certain situations and not just a button press. I'll try and find the source.

Was looking up weapons from Norse mythology

I believe Kratos' new weapon is Forseti's axe; all the images on Google look very similar to the game's axe

What's the over-under that we get Mjolnir? Some other potential possibilities:
- Gungnir, a dwarf-forged spear wielded by Odin
- Ichaival, Odin's bow that would turn one arrow into ten when it fired
- Frey's sword, which was so battle attuned that it fights on its own accord
- Laevateinn, a blazing sword used by the fire god Surt

What other games have attempted that besides Inside? (did Limbo do it too?)

According to the official site the axe is called the Leviathan Axe!

Selandrile

Neo Member
I think that his over-the-top need for revenge and personal myopia are deliberate. Or at least I hope they are considering a 13 year old could write better.

Like, in my mind, you're supposed to see Kratos' need for vengeance as kinda stupid yet still enjoy it because he's just that much of a raging jerk. Yeah, the whole evils in the box thing start making it look like they were serious about it but overall its just so cheesy and gloriously dumb I can't take it any other way.

Edit: I've only played the 3 "main" games. I thought the whole world was destroyed by Kratos so how are they justifying the new game's world or the new Gods?

Simo

Edit: I've only played the 3 "main" games. I thought the whole world was destroyed by Kratos so how are they justifying the new game's world or the new Gods?

That only Greece was affected since its Greek mythology. The idea is that these gods are like politicians who rule and keep order on their own realms and countries. The only thing connecting them is Kratos.

Shin-Ra

Nice water. 🚣🏻

gSJLGq2.gif

ced

Nice water. 🚣🏻

gSJLGq2.gif

I'm just nit picking cause the rest of the physics look so damn good, but I wish the boat would rock as he paddles.

Can't fucking wait for this, there's already so many mysterious things in the two trailers.

1) Neverending Story being an influence confirms my speculation that the kid was named after the hero alter-ego in that movie.
2) Confirms skill-tree.
3) Confirms that there are separate skill-trees for father and son.

4) Apparantly kid is vulnerable if you choose to use his actions with circle button.

Cool to hear that there actually was more God of War material somewhere at E3.

I have been saying this since last year.
Btw, any news about when they wil show the extended trailer to the public?

No demo but a extended trailer with Barlog giving details. Tim Gettys at Kinda Funny gave some great recap of the behind the closed doors stuff..
https://youtu.be/z_pNq0FQplE

There's been a couple of articles put out too from Kotaku and GamesRadar who spoke to Cory who divulged more details about the Blades of Chaos being gone, Atreus being playable on certain combat situations and how you can teach him new skills and abilities to aid you as Kratos in battle and how that also obviously relates to the father/son dynamic in the story.

Do you have more articles and videos that talk about the behind closed doors extended trailer?

Wamb0wneD

I need a 1080p screen for this game. No problems with Persona because it's Persona but Horizon already doesn't looka s good as it could.

That blue character looks cool. So nice to see Kratos willing to be helped. Also did that wolf tak or was that offscreen dialogue from the next scene?

I really hope we will have other weapons though... I mean we saw a shield but that's it right?

We saw Kratos getting the bow from his son and giving it back to him. I think some weapons are interchangeable. He has a dagger too, a horn and a purse we don't know what reaons they serve for, he has the living head, he can use his fists and his Spartan rage.

You forget soemthing. When does Kratos get new weapons? Normally when beating bosses right? Well if hey showed other weapons, you would understand which boss he killed and that would be spoilery.
You also forgot that both dwarves serve as weapon merchants and upgraders.
They can't show everything in a short trailer.
I hope the extended trailer has at least one to show.

Shin-Ra

SCORING GOD OF WAR by Bear McCreary

A DAUNTING AND CHALLENGING DREAM PROJECT

BearGOW-1.max-1500x1500.jpg

God of War will return for PlayStation 4, and I am honored to score it. In addition to composing all new themes and score for this beloved franchise, I was thrilled to take part in the game's unveiling, by performing my original theme and gameplay music with a full orchestra at PlayStation's E3 2016 press conference at the Shrine auditorium in front of five thousand people.

To find out more about Bear McCreary, follow him on Twitter or visit his website, where you can also find the original blog post.
GoWorchestra.gif

edit: actually, it's the same thing posted last year, with extra photos.

Hmm I pretty sure we seen more then that.

Nope.
- The undead enemies (the regular ones + the different looking ones with the bigger ones, the white ones which Kratos punched in the stomach, the the knight one with the sword, the tall ones in the artwork of the main site)
- The trolls
- The hairy giants.
- The shamans
- The wolves

-There is a living bald human with a scar on his face that Kratos broke his neck, but I don't know if we are going to face more humans and figth them or just that one.

That is why I said 5-6 are shown so far.
We also don't know if we are going to fight dragons from last year.

Look, you see almost all of them here (minus the wolves): http://godofwar.playstation.com/scenes/6

Loudninja

Nope.
- The undead enemies (the regular ones + the different looking ones with the bigger ones, the white ones which Kratos punched in the stomach, the the knight one with the sword, the tall ones in the artwork of the main site)
- The trolls
- The hairy giants.
- The shamans
- The wolves

-There is a living bald human with a scar on his face that Kratos broke his neck, but I don't know if we are going to face more humans and figth them or just that one.

That is why I said 5-6 are shown so far.
We also don't know if we are going to fight dragons from last year.

Look, you see almost all of them here (minus the wolves): http://godofwar.playstation.com/scenes/6
My bad I was thinking of something else lol.

Wamb0wneD

We saw Kratos getting the bow from his son and giving it back to him. I think some weapons are interchangeable. He has a dagger too, a horn and a purse we don't know what reaons they serve for, he has the living head, he can use his fists and his Spartan rage.

You forget soemthing. When does Kratos get new weapons? Normally when beating bosses right? Well if hey showed other weapons, you would understand which boss he killed and that would be spoilery.
You also forgot that both dwarves serve as weapon merchants and upgraders.
They can't show everything in a short trailer.
I hope the extended trailer has at least one to show.

That's what i hoped for the E3 trailer since that's already the second one we got, but maybe I'm a bit impatient. :p

The thirst for Kratos is too real. I think this and TLOU2 have a chance of dethroning GT3.
What was GT3 again?

Yep. Read my next post Pic 1,3,4,7. Those are sub categories of the undeads.

I just noticed that is artwork is a living one: http://godofwar.playstation.com/scenes/1
Water is flowing, mist is moving and lightning is striking.

And they weren't joking when they said we are going to fight around 100 enemies at once.Look closely here: http://godofwar.playstation.com/scenes/8
All types of undeads including the creepy tall ones out of sight.
1 and 3 look like distinctly different enemy types, not just unded variants IMO

1 and 3 look like distinctly different enemy types, not just unded variants IMO

I don't think so. The site mentions fire troll, which means there are otehr sub categories of trolls, like ice trolls, but they are still trolls.

There is this type of decomposed undead with everything melted on him even his face, armor, beard etc.. with fiery eyes and lava blood, resurrcted through fire spell maybe
And those are seen in the first trailer and among the different otehr enemies too.
You see bigger variations of them at the back in some of the new trailer scenes.

The other undeads are ressurrected using maybe another spell like ice spell hence the blue color of their eyes, but they are in intact body shape like recently dead thanks to the ice charm perhaps hence some have frozen arms, some are bare and looking like Kratos and the human he killed with frozen arms (pic3), others have some kind of non heavy armor (pic7), and others are big knights (pic4). You see very tall versions of the blue eyed resurrected udneads in the site artwork among the big army.
They are still undeads, just different versions of past warriors.

Edit: The bigger variation of the lava melted undeads (like the ice knight undeads):

The very tall creepy ice undeads among the big army of "GOT white wanderers" like undeads:

The enemy and environment variety looks really good in this game.
I guess this is somewhat new Screen!!

wlhqnrn.png

Since the camera is free now, I asked Cory to add first person view for the game (not FP play) just static view to scrutinize the environments and admire the details and to look for secrets. This would be perfect for taking pictures. A photomode as advanced as Horizon would be welcome too.

Top Bottom