• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Minus One dropping Worldwide on Netflix tomorrow

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
easily the best godzilla movie ever - arguably the best kaiju/monster movie ever
Yul10F1.png

Yeah that checks out

I think it's massively overrated with some truly shitty acting and dialogue. Everyone wants to rub its nuts because it only cost 15 million, and I guess--suddenly--everyone cares about movie budgets being reasonable (that, or they're a dumb cunt parroting some whiny bitch in one of the trades).

It's a B- at best, and it's nothing compared to Shin Godzilla.
Totally, 100% this. I don't get why this film is so popular. The scenario is a combination of all the clichés you can imagine, the dialogues and the narration are bad most of the time with the film repeating things that it already told you several minutes earlier. It try to set up a cold universe and lapses into absolute stupidity in its conclusion.

And all the sequences to create drama with the hero who wonders if he is real etc... oh my god. Noriko alive makes no sense, I almost facepalm at this scene. "My fight is over" well not really dude since Godzilla is alive at the end.
With less stupid writing it could have been a masterpiece.

Shin Godzilla/Resurgence shit on Minus One by a large margin. And Godzilla (1954) is on a whole other level, it's an insult to The Cinema to just imply that Minus One is better. GMK All-Out Attack, Godzilla vs Destoroyah and Godzilla vs Biollante are all far better movies and if Minus One was made in the US, everyone would have shit on it because of how stupid and bad the story is.

Yeah, I was massively disappointed.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm kinda curious about the English dub that's on Netflix, I see it getting clowned on a lot online by the usual gatekeepers

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Watching it with Japanese dub with English Subtitles is the way to go

That's like watching Dark with the English dub. It's terrible. So much better watching it in German with English Subtitles
I saw the movie (and the black and white version) in theaters. I also know enough Japanese that I probably could have got by watching it without subtitles. Like I said, I'm just curious about the dub is all, might check it out.

I saw the movie (and the black and white version) in theaters. I also know enough Japanese that I probably could have got by watching it without subtitles. Like I said, I'm just curious about the dub is all, might check it out.

Nice yeah I'm surprised it took this long for Godzilla Minus One to come to VOD/Streaming

I hope it's massively successful since it deserves it

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

English dub is ok. It doesn't sound like they used to... With overly deep voices for the men and overly childlike girly voices for the women. The voices matched the faces ... Especially Doc. He looked like he really sounded that way.

dorkimoe

English dub is ok. It doesn't sound like they used to... With overly deep voices for the men and overly childlike girly voices for the women. The voices matched the faces ... Especially Doc. He looked like he really sounded that way.
I wonder if AI could take the original actors voice and translate it to English keeping the tone and everything. That would be fantastic.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Shin Godzilla kind of sucked. Is this one better?
This is good in all the ways Shin was lacking.

I say that as someone who likes Shin. Shin is smart and funny and weird. And also incredibly uncinematic with no main character.

But Minus One is like if Steven Speilberg made a Godzilla movie. It's totally character driven and gorgeous to look at, with big, entertaining action set pieces and satisfying character arcs. It is probably the best introduction to Godzilla I could recommend to someone.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think it's massively overrated with some truly shitty acting and dialogue. Everyone wants to rub its nuts because it only cost 15 million, and I guess--suddenly--everyone cares about movie budgets being reasonable (that, or they're a dumb cunt parroting some whiny bitch in one of the trades).

It's a B- at best, and it's nothing compared to Shin Godzilla.
What are the biggest differences compared to shin (that i loved)??

So, overall it is a good movie. If you are someone who factors in the movie cost $15million to make, then yeah. Best movie I have seen in several years.

Reminds me of Bridge over River Kwai for some reason. I think cause at its heart, Godzilla Minus One is a war movie from yesteryear.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I won't re-up netflix for this but I'll check it out on a rental. I'll probably buy the 4k disc of GXK because I'm a simple bitch who loves monsters suplexing each other.

MayauMiao

Watched it, liked it very much. Characters drives the movie than Godzilla itself. Hopefully the marketing fools at Toho do a proper release instead of limited one. Waiting for it to hit stream was a bitch.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Its actually a pretty consensus statement.. most critics, and fans alike have been calling this the best zilla movie ever. its not like they are masterpieces or something
?????

Sorry but some ARE masterpiece. Especially Godzilla (1954) and I named a few other. I don't care about who is saying what, I'm judging what I saw. I tried to explain a bit why I think this movie is greatly overrated with what I think are fair points but I can elaborate a lot more if needed. And people who like it are just: "best movie ever omagad!!!" or "whoooohooo 15 million for this, that's incredible!!" or "me liking atomic breath". The Japanese cinema has much better films to offer.

Takashi Yamazaki has completely failed to tell a good story, he loves to talk about kamikaze and it was a hundred times better in this film: The Eternal zero.

SF Kosmo

Watched it, liked it very much. Characters drives the movie than Godzilla itself. Hopefully the marketing fools at Toho do a proper release instead of limited one. Waiting for it to hit stream was a bitch.
This did get a wide theatrical release, the first Japanese film in the series to really get that since the original. It did get cut off after 2 months due to their arrangement with Legendary but it played on something like 2,800 screens at its peak.

It's funny that, despite being a universally recognized cultural icon for literal generations, Japanese Godzilla movies never really got mainstream viewership. It's always been a cult thing, with the exception of the original, and perhaps Minus One.

ahtlas7

Is the Netflix version 4K? The VOD version is in 4K and Atmos.
It’s in Netflix version of 4k, with Japanese ATMOS or English 5.1 mixes (In Belgium). The Atmos is strong with all channels balanced. Good height channel usage. I was impressed.

The movie is fan-freakin-tastic. 8/10

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
Just finished watching it, what a cool movie! I love how Godzilla is super mean looking, and yet also quite similar to the OG guy in a rubber suit era.

It needed some gore, though. Sticky footprints, close-up deaths and so on. When he was flinging people through the air at the start instead of properly chewing them up, I thought the film was going to be a bit tame. It wasn't, but some detail would have been welcome.

SF Kosmo

It needed some gore, though. Sticky footprints, close-up deaths and so on. When he was flinging people through the air at the start instead of properly chewing them up, I thought the film was going to be a bit tame. It wasn't, but some detail would have been welcome.
Even that was a big deal for a Toho Godzilla movie. Up until now they had a rule that you couldn't see Godzilla bite people. So baby steps.

thief183

Just watched... I'm not a huge Godzilla, or monsters in general fan and this movie was ... mid... not bad but totally unrelatable for me...

I loved that it really went deep in the characters story instead of the monster but at the same time there was so many differences in culture that every single thing they did felt stupid to me.

Special effect weren't bad at all, apart from the point of contact of the water with the boat :)

SF Kosmo

It's always fun to me when great movies drop on Netflix and every review is like a 6 because no one really knows how to watch movies at home.

Like yeah, you watched it dubbed while looking at your phone half the time and paused it 17 times to take care of your kid, "I thought it was okay."

Not specifically about this movie, but this is why I still pay to take my kid to theaters. Being locked in a dark room with a movie on a big screen teaches you to really watch movies.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
My cousin bailed out half way throught the movie.

But he also like rebel moon so godzy must be straight fire...

He didn't cared at all about the protagonist story.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Gold Member
They really hit the target making a movie that somehow feels old school and modern at the same time. Surpisingly I also found the human drama quite engaging. Very satisfying movie.

I'm so glad I got to see this one in the cinema when it was there. One of the best Godzilla movies I have ever seen... and no, I have never seen all of the original Toho films from the 1960's and 1970's. But I think as far as recent Godzilla movies go, this is one of the best ones.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Any word on physical media release?

I'm pretty sure the distribution rights for physical in the US is still all up in the air. This streaming Netflix drop came out of the blue, maybe we'll get lucky and the same will happen on the physical side any day now (announcement wise that is).

Unrelated but actually related: I just watched Godzilla x Kong and that movie was fucking awesome but in different ways. Kaiju fans are living in the greatest timeline where both Japan and America have running Godzilla franchises and both are awesome wew

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

What I'd like to know is how the woman freaking
survived the shockwave.
Hit with some Godzilla gore during the blast, which combined with her cells to give her regenerative abilities like Godzilla, but also seems to have mutated her. It's easy to miss this as they don't harp on it.

Top Bottom