• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG will start deleting Cloud Saves Bigger than 200MB

Draugoth

Gold Member
images
We're reaching out to inform you that your Cloud Saves files that exceed the default allocation limit (200 MB per game) will be deleted after August 31st, 2024. Please review them to avoid the loss of files stored within your Cloud Saves available via GOG GALAXY. Saves stored locally on your computer(s) will not be affected.

Source

I wonder what happened to saves in the recent generations anyway. Some games take absurd space, even without some obvious Skyrim every object's location is saved nonsense, while others still manage to have reasonable sized saves. Especially replays in racing games or whatever take insane space. Iirc Driveclub had the biggest or among the biggest saves on PS4.
Cloud is nice to have for that but also taking so much space on fast but not really spacious SSDs is rather stupid and lazily implemented. It's almost like you are supposed to have a 5TB HDD just to move your saves somewhere...
The PS5 video clips for trophies are also an interesting idea that just eats up the limited storage.
Compressed PS5 games are often smaller than their PS4 version, but save space in SSD era is precious and save files need also compression, or trimed somehow else.

200MB limit is something but if games handle it just bad how is the player supposed to shrink it. This would need to be adressed with game devs and anything above would need to be negotiated with them, since probably they cause it?

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Who has over 200mb of cloud saves in a game?
I guess it might be people who are playing a lot of RPGs and have shitton of saves. Seriously though, it's probably a safe threshold that doesn't affect majority of people, but the space they could get from removing it would still work with their target goals

Thats kinda stupid and a massive L from gog. At least increase it to 500MB. Some games have huge save files. How are we advancing in tech, but at the same time regressing in basic features.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have a lot of save files in Cyberpunk and Witcher 3, so I'm probably way over it. Strange and stupid decision.

Esppiral

A 800mb savegame is savage I would like to know what does it actually store in there, location, progression and some stats can't eat that much space....

T4keD0wN

Who has over 200mb of cloud saves in a game?
CRPG players i imagine, currently at 22gb in Pathfinder WOTR in steam cloud (about 19,9gb in Baldurs gate 3, but that is on the disk)
Some games also save player profiles with downloaded content (player creations, maps, skins and so on).

Last edited:
I don't use cloud saves, but still, save file sizes are kind of ridiculous these days.

pic2
I try to understand some games- Outlast and its in the end pointless video capture-, but some games boggle my mind; Gravity Rush 2 is just ridiculous. All this game needs to save is quest: done or not, current selected costume.... That is basically a txt-list. It should be KB and not MB in the over average spheres.

smbu2000

Well it seems like they just never update to use only the latest saves stored in the cloud. My cyberpunk playthrough cloud saves on gog are currently using 1.2GB. That’s from 300 plus manual saves and whatever autosaves they sync.
I have them all saved on my pc already though.

Save files also increase over time. Early ones are like 1.5 or 1.6MB each. Later ones are almost 4.0-4.5MB each.

Makes you wonder how Steam actually makes any money - humongous data bills and all those free cloud saves.
The most popular and profitable games on Steam tend to be multiplayer only, and those don't really have save files to begin with. On top of that, Valve gets a 30% cut even if a game is only played for a couple of hours or not at all, which happens a lot more often than you'd think. The average game completion rate on Steam is only like 10%.

xrnzaaas

What year is it. Pretty much any bigger game with manual saves or stuff like liveries / own creations will easily match or exceed this result, maybe even with a single save file.

I always perform manual backups to my usb drives, but I can see this being a dealbreaker for people who play newer games through GOG (or even Witcher & Cyberpunk - they both have manual save options and tons of things for the saves to remember).

Last edited:
What year is it. Pretty much any bigger game with manual saves or stuff like liveries / own creations will easily match or exceed this result, maybe even with a single save file.

I always perform manual backups to my usb drives, but I can see this being a dealbreaker for people who play newer games through GOG (or even Witcher & Cyberpunk - they both have manual save options and tons of things for the saves to remember).

I had a tonne of saves for witcher and cyberpunk, witcher was 260 meg cyber 150. Expecting anything but a handful of your most recent saves on the cloud for free is greedy and naïve in my opinion. I don't see that as a right and it's certainly not a dealbreaker for any sane person, especially when you can still store them locally.

xrnzaaas

And yet somehow companies like Valve or Microsoft manage to do it without asking you to pay for cloud saves. If GOG wants to sell newer, bigger games with bigger saves they should provide a proper cloud support as well, especially after taking a 30% cut.

And yet somehow companies like Valve or Microsoft manage to do it without asking you to pay for cloud saves. If GOG wants to sell newer, bigger games with bigger saves they should provide a proper cloud support as well, especially after taking a 30% cut.
You say "somehow" like microsoft dont own pretty much the most cloud infrastructure in the world and Valve are one of the most profitable companies in the world.

You live in a fantasy. I'd much rather support something like GOG that is more pro consumer. But by all means go and use other platforms. I assure you this is not an issue for most people apart from weirdos.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

On the other hand they should have an option for users to say pay a small fee to get more cloud storage.
They would need to pay that fee continuously as Gog is paying it monthly which would turn Gog subscription-based for determined games.

MrRenegade

Banned
Don't store saves in cloud... it's a privacy nightmare. If anyone wants to profile you, they just look at one of the rpgs you played, what actions have you done and essentially see what kind of person you are.

Nikodemos

200 MB is pretty low. Some saves can explode in size as you advance in the game world. And some titles use a snapshot system (as L LazyParrot mentioned, Deus Ex was one of the first to do so), which inherently generates large save files. The Original Sin series (and, ironically, CDPR's own titles) also use the snapshot system.

acidagfc

This was surprisingly well-organized.
I was sent to a webpage with my saves, showing how much space they take and the ability to delete one by one or with multi-selection.

Unsurprisingly, Cyberpunk and Divinity OS2 were the largest for me, I just deleted all the autosaves for them and went below 200MB.

Top Bottom