• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gone Home |OT| I ain't afraid of no ghost!

I finished it and just love everything about it. There needs to be more games like this that explore issues not commonly found in games.

Also, I can't believe it but I think I totally missed Chris Remo's music. The only time I recall hearing music was when I put a tape in a player.

Ceebs

Finished it and really liked it.

Did more for me in terms of emotional reaction than the typical stuff that gets praise in that area like Journey and Last of Us.

Good job Steve and company. I need to go back because I missed the combinations for a few things.

I can't find the words to explain how much I loved this game, but just know that I thought it was great and also I'll be listening to Sleater-Kinney albums for the rest of the night.

No sugar content listed on the ginger ale can. Was this not required back in 1995?

I actually didn't think they had the Nutritional Facts boxes on food products at all back then, so everything in the fridge stuck out as weird for the exact opposite reason.

I finished it and just love everything about it. There needs to be more games like this that explore issues not commonly found in games.

Also, I can't believe it but I think I totally missed Chris Remo's music. The only time I recall hearing music was when I put a tape in a player.

His music plays over most of the journal entries.

Xyber

Sorry to post twice in this thread, but could someone tell me the locations of the keys?

I don't want to tell you straight out how to get it, but
one key is in the locker in Sam's room.

How you get to it shouldn't be hard to figure out, you just need to explore. You get to the second key automatically when you progress, it's not hidden.

A little hint:
hidden rooms, check the map. If you can't see anything, do some more exploring man! Look at all the handwritten notes, they are probably the most important for progressing the story.

I finished the game in 90 minutes. Enjoyed it and I felt that it always gave me a hint on where to go just when I thought I got stuck. It is a little pricey though and I would suggest that you wait for a sale if you are on the fence.

r3n4ud

I finished the game in 90 minutes. Enjoyed it and I felt that it always gave me a hint on where to go just when I thought I got stuck. It is a little pricey though and I would suggest that you wait for a sale if you are on the fence.

Totally agree with this. I finished around the
2 hour mark
. I'd wait for a sale folks.

chris121580

Man, that was one hell of an experience. I really enjoyed it. I don't recommend waiting for a sale because I think the team who made this deserves your 18 dollars. It's worth every penny regardless of the length. Also, did anyone else think
Sam would be dead from suicide in the attic? I was absolutely terrified to go up there afraid of what I would find. Such a touching story

I don't want to tell you straight out how to get it, but
one key is in the locker in Sam's room.

How you get to it shouldn't be hard to figure out, you just need to explore. You get to the second key automatically when you progress, it's not hidden.

A little hint:
hidden rooms, check the map. If you can't see anything, do some more exploring man! Look at all the handwritten notes, they are probably the most important for progressing the story.

So I don't know if you meant
the hidden compartment or the actual room that's blacked out upstairs.
I just can't figure out if there's something there.

Is the other half of
Sam's locker code upstairs
?

I feel shitty for asking, but where's the first half of Sam's locker combination?

Yeah I feel bad too, but I am just not enjoying it looking for it.

One of the waist-high wall panels opposite Sam's room is removable - it's the wall that backs onto the room blacked out on the map

Pyccko

Well, all finished up in about
2 and a half-ish hours.
I gotta say, I really dug it.
The attention to detail really was amazing, and the story... well,
I thought it was very sweet.
Some very cool scenes in there, like the aforementioned
crucifix/lightbulb thing.
But just the feeling of a household in the 90s was really dead-on.

I gotta say, one thing did kind of take me out of the moment: (pretty harmless, but spoilered just to be safe)
no mirrors in the house. Sam even mentions looking into one in a diary, but there are none to be found.
I think that was the very first time I've ever had my immersion broken, but it was also, I think, the first time I've really felt immersed in a game world.
So, I guess that's really a testament to what a fantastic job they did crafting the house.

I wish it was longer, but I always wish that when I finish any game. No regrets about buying full-price, glad I could support Steve and co. 11/10 best game would play again

A WTF moment for me:

Picking up the crucifix and the light bulb bursts, I JETTED up those steps, scared me shitless

I need help though:

Where is the third secret passage? I got the one upstairs and the one in the library

Gbraga

I was convinced on waiting for a sale. But the comfy couch support is a big deal for this kind of game to me, I might just buy it this weekend.

Jokab

So what is the scare level of this game, for someone who is quite sensitive to that stuff? Tense? Creepy? Unsettling? Terrifying? I read in the GB review that it doesn't have jump scares so that's something at least. I finished Bioshock and Alan Wake recently and neither of those were too bad for me.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So what is the scare level of this game, for someone who is quite sensitive to that stuff? Tense? Creepy? Unsettling? Terrifying? I read in the GB review that it doesn't have jump scares so that's something at least. I finished Bioshock and Alan Wake recently and neither of those were too bad for me.

I'm the same way. You'll be fine.

To me it was actually pretty scary.

Especially because I hadn't read that there weren't any jump scares. I'm still scared now that someone will be looking in a window. They really nailed that shit. Lol.

Empty

So what is the scare level of this game, for someone who is quite sensitive to that stuff? Tense? Creepy? Unsettling? Terrifying? I read in the GB review that it doesn't have jump scares so that's something at least.

slightly creepy in that the house is empty and it's raining in the background and not all the lights are on and one subplot is a bit unsettling and ambigious, but it's easy to play at your own stress free pace. there's also one deliberately scary moment but it's brief and not bad. as someone who doesn't watch horror films as i don't like getting frightened or feeling constantly tense i found it fine.

Jokab

To me it was actually pretty scary.

Especially because I hadn't read that there weren't any jump scares. I'm still scared now that someone will be looking in a window. They really nailed that shit. Lol.

Jesus that is one of my scariest memories as a child, someone looking through a window when I didn't expect it. To this date I have a semi-windowphobia when it's dark out and I can't see what's outside.

Gone Home is one of the most memorable gaming experiences of this year and a brilliant experiment in game design. I absolutely loved every minute of it.

Question: Where was the
crucifix/lightbulb
? I totally missed that.

Also, the soundtrack (especially Chris Remo's work) is phenomenal. Hoping for a soundtrack release.

EDIT: Just read the "Music" blog post on the Fullbright site. Soundtrack release (likely) coming soon!

r3n4ud

Gone Home is one of the most memorable gaming experiences of this year and a brilliant experiment in game design. I absolutely loved every minute of it.

Question: Where was the
crucifix/lightbulb
?I totally missed that.

Also, the soundtrack by Chris Remo is phenomenal. Hoping for a soundtrack release.

No doubt one of the best indies this year.

rexor0717

Now that I have given the game some time to sink in, I can certainly say that this game was terrific. I haven't played a game with that much emotional impact before. The attention to detail was great, and learning about your family was quite the experience.

Now for some specifics:
- Sam's story was so happy, then it dragged me right down to sadsville.
- Dad's struggling author story was great just because when do you hear stories like that in a game? Its always such high stakes, but he just needed to get back on the horse.
-Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of mirrors, but I understand why.
-Man, this game was dripping with atmosphere.
-The audio logs were perfect, especially with the accompanying music. Most really put a smile on my face.

And about the ending:
As soon as I got to that second to last audio log, where she said "she would wait up in the attic" for the briefest second I thought I'd see a happy ending, but then it dawned on me. I thought, "No, they wouldn't..." As I got closer to the attic, my heart started pounding, my chest tensed up. It almost felt like my character got faster as I moved through the attic, and when I knew the worst had happened, my heart really dropped. Wow, I've never ever felt something like that before in a game. It was powerful.

Also, the game had just the right amount of Thumb's humor, so that went a long way for me.

Empty

i think the game is going to get most credit for its teen romamce angle and it is great but i really love how well the sub-plots were handled in this. i think the dad is my favourite, though i'm also fond of the more ambiguous uncle one too.
you start off sort of laughing at the dad for his shitty sci-fi conspiracy writing and his personal lad mag stash, but it does a really good job of humanizing him as you realize that he a) uses it a fun flight of fantasy to escape from the banality of his very technical audio equipment reviews that he's been doing for nearly twenty years b) starts to fall into alcoholism and depression as his books fail to get an audience, as shown by the letter from his editor in the library complaining about his tone in reviews, the rejection letter next to booze bottles in his record room and implied by his wife's story hinting at his distance. having all these unsold books lying around in the house is a constant reminder of his failings and we see his inability to properly start with all his different drafts chucked in the bin c) the heartbreaking letter from his literary father accompanied by him cutting out his fathers picture from a portrait. the end with him getting a publisher and writing a new story, now in the more open and light conservatory instead of his office cut off from the rest of the house, and starting official marriage counseling is really heartwarming. just excellent, well thought out, empathetic character writing for a side character, especially when it'd be so easy to characterize him solely based around his reaction to his daughters homosexuality

iMax

Hmm, I'm stumped. Got two keys in my inventory, unlocked the entire map. Just can't figure out how to get in the
attic
:/

Ceebs

Hmm, I'm stumped. Got two keys in my inventory, unlocked the entire map. Just can't figure out how to get in the
attic
:/

Have you found the passageway under the stairs?

And about the ending:
As soon as I got to that second to last audio log, where she said "she would wait up in the attic" for the briefest second I thought I'd see a happy ending, but then it dawned on me. I thought, "No, they wouldn't..." As I got closer to the attic, my heart started pounding, my chest tensed up. It almost felt like my character got faster as I moved through the attic, and when I knew the worst had happened, my heart really dropped. Wow, I've never ever felt something like that before in a game. It was powerful.

Also, the game had just the right amount of Thumb's humor, so that went a long way for me.

Honestly, I saw it as a happy ending. Sam got away from her parents who were dismissive of her relationship and went out to be her own person with the one she loved. She did say she would see you again, so it's not like she is gone forever.

I loved never knowing just what to expect.

Every time I thought it was settling into an innocent story of lost love, something went sideways and I was back to thinking "when do I find the body?" The quick reversals towards the end rocked. It's their last night together, we'll meet under the stairs, aww... then the sign and candles and the face-down picture of the psycho guy and I'm back to AW SHIIIII

And walking down the final hallway, my fuzzy understanding of what the game was finally resolved itself into something touching and sweet, and after the credits I jumped back in just to walk around and soak up any little details of their lives that I missed.

Edit: F12 got a pretty good workout, too.

Nitemare1

I bought this on a whim today because I wanted something different to play.
I was completely blow away. What a fantastic experience! Congrats to everyone involved. You made a beautiful piece of art!

rexor0717

Have you found the passageway under the stairs?

Honestly, I saw it as a happy ending. Sam got away from her parents who were dismissive of her relationship and went out to be her own person with the one she loved. She did say she would see you again, so it's not like she is gone forever.

Ending Spoiler
Wait, she didn't kill herself? Holy shit, I must have misinterpreted that. Then why was the girl on the answering machine sobbing?

Valtýr

Ending Spoiler
Wait, she didn't kill herself? Holy shit, I must have misinterpreted that. Then why was the girl on the answering machine sobbing?

The girl was Lonnie calling to get a hold of Sam after she got off the bus. She left two messages before Sam finally answered the third. That's when Sam left to go get her and run away together

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh god, I've been playing it for like 20 minutes and I can't even get over all these nostalgia feels.

I grew up in Oregon (still live there) and everything I see is just hitting me so hard.

Ellite25

Played and finished this today without having any clue what is was about. I loved it. The story is pretty great and it's what kept me going. I just wanted to find the next piece of the story.
I also love that the story wasn't about a boy and a girl, but rather two girls. Made it feel fresh to me and genuine.
Definitely one of the best stories in a game in recent memory.

iMax

I finished it but never found the combo to the father's safe. Anything good in it?

It's a little interesting.

The code is written down somewhere. And it's a number close to his heart. I actually found the number afterwards. I guessed the combination and got it first time!

Top Bottom