• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNNER |OT| - Ike, Death, & Sally the Space Whale go platforming hardcore (Switch)

GWX

This looks interesting enough, but I’m having a hard time justifying the 13 CAD price tag when the same game on Steam weighs in at just 6 BRL (2.36 CAD - BRL means Brazilian Real). Publishers/indies should be aware that there’s no advantage in giving better deals on different platforms, they should all cost the same, as the storefront cut is the industry standard 30% in every situation. The same thing’s happening with Snake Pass: 50% off on Steam, with a base price of 37 BRL, 40% off on Xbox, with a base price of 75 BRL, 40% off on Switch, with a base price of 27 CAD (69 BRL), and no sale on PS4, with base price of 61 BRL. It’s all over the place, and it sucks!

The game won't launch on switch for me :( just get a black screen after opening it. Really wanted to play this on the train!

Anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Re-downloaded it and it's working now!

heringer

This looks interesting enough, but I'm having a hard time justifying the 13 CAD price tag when the same game on Steam weighs in at just 6 BRL (2.36 CAD - BRL means Brazilian Real). Publishers/indies should be aware that there's no advantage in giving better deals on different platforms, they should all cost the same, as the storefront cut is the industry standard 30% in every situation. The same thing's happening with Snake Pass: 50% off on Steam, with a base price of 37 BRL, 40% off on Xbox, with a base price of 75 BRL, 40% off on Switch, with a base price of 27 CAD (69 BRL), and no sale on PS4, with base price of 61 BRL. It's all over the place, and it sucks!

Games on brazilian Steam store will always, always be cheaper. This will happen with every single game, there's no avoiding it. Do it like I do and just forget about it, buy it if you want to play on Switch without comparing too much. We already pay a lot less on Steam games than the rest of the world.

Man, another game that I originally thought I'd buy for PC, only to find out that there will be a portable version for Switch. Had this on my steam wishlist, was probably gonna buy it last day of sale, but might as well wait till I pick up a Switch now. Seems like it runs just as well, too. Awesome!

Opa-Pa

2nd World Boss annoys me quite a bit. it's pretty much turns the game into bullet hell

It looks very unfair but it's pretty simple actually. Just never stop moving to avoid bullets from the turrets and when you shoot the boss, make sure you kill the spawns it leaves before they attack you.

see5harp

I've been playing this on PC for a while. It's kind of great. One of the few roguelites that keeps me coming back.

edit: FORGOT TO MENTION THE MUSIC AND SOUND EFFECTS. It's like Mouse on Mars made a game. Good stuff.

Well jeez I had no idea. I've had this for a while and didn't even bother installing.

The feel of the game is quite good in this game. And the sound design is amazing. However, the rouge-like element ruins the sense of progression for me. I don't think I am hardcore enough to see the cools things shown in the trailer. Hope there'll be some checkpoints in future update.

Vena

Man, this game is a lot harder than I had anticipated even though everything I've heard about it is how hard it is, lol. I made it through three shops (?) in one run, and the enemies start to get pretty silly.

Still, its fun for a good little bite here and there and now fills my BoI void as I have grown bored of BoI.

This is an incredibly awesome little game, I suck at it, I rarely make the second area but I'm in love with it. Its so easy to just keep replaying and I love how I'm slowly figuring out all the little mechanics. Like how killing 5 in a row gives you that little purple block thingo and having those is how you get points. Such a solid little game.

And the soundtrack is amazing, I'm trying to figure out what it reminds me of cause I can't help but think I've heard something super similar before, its almost similar to the style of some of the tracks from Pixel Junk Monsters I want to say.

Vena

Alright, I've gotten nearly every item but... what does the Jetpack-thing do? I cannot figure this out at all.

Also far as I can tell, I can't see why you'd take any item other than the reload satchel, it seems much better than everything else, especially with some of the later weapons.

Alright, I've gotten nearly every item but... what does the Jetpack-thing do? I cannot figure this out at all.

Also far as I can tell, I can't see why you'd take any item other than the reload satchel, it seems much better than everything else, especially with some of the later weapons.
Its not a jetpack, next time you use it, do so with a bunch of enemies around you they'll all freeze for a few seconds

Been having a ton of fun with this game! I've made it to the 3rd area so far.
I always get messed up by a small flying enemy hitting me and then sending my items flying off the side into the abyss.

Does anyone know why it doesn't show up on your Switch profile when you're playing this game?

Vena

Changes the items you can choose from what I can see, I'd imagine there is a chance that a new item can show up however I've not seen it yet.

If one of your heads is low on health, you can also replace it with a new head but you have to cycle to find a good head.

Vena

I had no idea you could replenish health this way, wow.

You lose upgrades on your head, but its a good way to cheaply go from low to full. I generally like to use the gun-head, though, so its not like I have a lot of hearts, haha.

I am mulling over whether buy this on PC or Switch. It is way cheaper on Steam due to the summer sale but I know I would get way more time value from the game on my Switch.

I will be playing 99% of the time in handheld mode so my question is: does it get hard to discern things due to all that is going on (what with it being on a smaller screen)?

Edit: Just played on the PC. I think I will end up double dipping on the game. It plays so well and I can see myself sinking a tonne of time in. It is also good to know the Switch is 60fps.

zigg

My friends that don't have a Switch commonly tell me "So.... you are either rebuying games you already own or paying more to play them on the go?"

My answer is "... yes"
Seriously though, why not support the developers more if you love these games and want to play them on your Switch?

Every little bit helps, but more helps more.

Really struggled with this game for the first hour. I couldn't work out whether movement was better using the stick or d pad. Eventually clicked using the dpad and I'm absolutely loving it now. If people are struggling with the enemies, especially the homing,flying ones in the first stage I would suggest not worrying about racking up massive combos and just concentrate on killing 5 enemies at a time. I found that helped me to get a better understanding of the movement, which allows me to kill move enemies by jumping on them.

I'm still not really sure how the back packs works.

Also I'm still getting messed up when I lost a life my eyes always gravitate towards the head and not the body and I get wiped out. Maybe that's different on the big screen.

Mdk7

Beat the game yesterday for the first time, scored a little more than 11K.
I'm really digging the action, it's perfect for the Switch.

Welp since no one answered my question. If you go to the secret area above the visit death room, and can manage to complete it, it's tough as nails some runs, the whale skeleton isn't there and that path is blocked off and on the outside I know have a whale floating around, but it's not a skeleton.

Also for High score runs, if you enter that zone and have enough trinkets to continue, since when you die it drops you off back to choose a loadout, you can actually go back into that zone and continue your run, allowed me to get a high score of 5900.

No idea what any of that means and I could be talking gibberish since no one answered my original question, but I have to know what all of that means...I could mean nothing and that all I have a living whale instead of a dead whale, IDK.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game feels shockingly good to control. Like bouncing on enemies is really good

I can't get past the first boss though, and that is partially because of what I think my one real complaint with the game is though; at an instant glance it can be hard to tell, after getting hit, which thing on the ground is my body and which is my other stuff, so I keep running into enemies

Man, this game is pretty special. Might be the best $10 I've spent on the Switch eShop so far. It's making the omission of Downwell on the Switch much easier to deal with.

But seriously, Downwell needs to be on the Switch!

Edit - Just read on the GoNNER AMA that Downwell was a big inspiration for the game. I KNEW IT!!

Does anyone know how to obtain the pyramid/triangle head? It's apparently in the
second world
, but I have never found it.

EDIT - LOL I found it a few minutes after making this post.
It was at the very top of the one of the levels in world 2, above a bunch of flying enemies and a platform with risng bubbles.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im surprised just how computer generated the levels are, its kinda a surreal experience when you hop back in after visiting death and everything is completely different

Man, this game is pretty special. Might be the best $10 I've spent on the Switch eShop so far. It's making the omission of Downwell on the Switch much easier to deal with.

But seriously, Downwell needs to be on the Switch!

Edit - Just read on the GoNNER AMA that Downwell was a big inspiration for the game. I KNEW IT!!

Yep! This game is amazing.

I picked it up along with Vaccine and Bulb Boy and have put around 10 or so hours in to Gonner. It's a great game.

Top Bottom