• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Tomeru

ehm... I get your point, and its fair. But... they are all racing games, so comparisons are unavoidable and somewhat make sense.

Of course they do. But the purpose of the games are somewhat different, and should be the deciding factor. Whats the point of judging an online game for not being an offline game (for ex.)?

ethomaz

Banned
There is no denying that bundling may have had an effect on GT3 (again why i included it). There is also no denying that GT5 and GT6 were both bundled. To the same degree, is a different matter. I cant seem to find info if GT4 was bundled as well. What we do not know is how much each game sold off bundles alone, and whether those same people would have, or would not have bought that title without the bundle. What we do know is that people chose to buy it. We also know that many people did not buy the next installment (whether bundled or not)

Arguing sales on bundles will always be a "speculation" as we do not know, though there is also a known impact from them.
No other GT game was bundled like GT3 in US... we are talking here at way over 4 million bundles... lifetime GT sales in US barely reaches half that.

Like I said for some period in US every PS2 sold was bundled with GT3... every single one... we have data... NPD PS2 sales for this period are GT3 sales.

Gestault

No other GT game was bundled like GT3 in US... we are talking here at way over 4 million bundles... lifetime GT sales in US barely reaches half that.

Like I said for some period in US every PS2 sold was bundled with GT3... every single one... we have data... NPD PS2 sales for this period are GT3 sales.

I know SCEA had heavy givaways during that window for North America with GT3, Parappa 2, and a few other first-party games. They literally gave away 250,000 units (?) just for a breakfast cereal promo called "Eat n' Earn." Stuff like that inflates those numbers more than a lot of people realize.

Are people wanting their racing games to be like Madden/FIFA with incremental updates on an annual/or semi-annual basis?

Hell no.

I want to see more purpose and distinction between franchises and have them excel in different areas of racing rather than trying to do everything approach. As an example: If a company want to do vintage racing don't just slap them in a game about GT racing make a game that echos the dangers and differences that were found in racing during a set period and have it tonally relevant, cars that could fall apart whilst going around the top of banking, tracks like Monza before they were made slower and races like Targa Florio.

itshutton

Are people wanting their racing games to be like Madden/FIFA with incremental updates on an annual/or semi-annual basis?

I think people are actually getting tired of Forza. Jeff Gerstmann was talking on it recently and made me think a 4 year cycle might be the smarter bet. Pouring resources and money into a franchise year in year will give short term success, but is likely to yield less than different studios with different IPs in the long run.

Obviously I know assets are refused etc. Just my gut feeling.

borges

Banned

hey you gts 89 prediction... looking good? 😁
anyway, i think you will be closer with the sales figures

IISANDERII

I'm sure that what is IN the game is of high quality. It's just that the amount of content isn't nowhere near enough to be referred as a main GT game.
Yeah but it's basically irrelevant because they did the research and found that most players only used a fraction of the cars.

Yeah but it's basically irrelevant because they did the research and found that most players only used a fraction of the cars.

I feel like this is really missing the point. Like, the reason to include a shitload of cars isn't because everyone wants to use all of them, but because fans of different car companies have enough to play with to stay within their respective preferences. People who prefer Japanese cars to American ones, for example, would never have to touch the latter and could still feel like they had a lot to work with.

ghibli99

Curious what the F1 crowd thinks of this question.

Every other year is good, depending on the focus. Gives time to improve technology, features, and content. Too long a break can be a double-edged sword unless you're going for something really different (like how long it took between Skyward Sword and BOTW... and even then, there was ALBW on 3DS and 2 HD remasters on Wii U to keep folks happy).

ethomaz

Banned
I feel like this is really missing the point. Like, the reason to include a shitload of cars isn't because everyone wants to use all of them, but because fans of different car companies have enough to play with to stay within their respective preferences. People who prefer Japanese cars to American ones, for example, would never have to touch the latter and could still feel like they had a lot to work with.
I do believe the low count is due the new model of constant updates adding cars in the game.

PD will be adding regularly new cars and the count will increase fast.

It will probably has over 200 cars before years ends.

I do believe the low count is due the new model of constant updates adding cars in the game.

PD will be adding regularly new cars and the count will increase fast.

It will probably has over 200 cars before years ends.

I really hope that's true, but my post was written as a response to Sony's findings about the number of cars that players actually use.

IISANDERII

I'm sure Kaz and Sony are glad to no longer cater to those who say "I'm not touching the car of a gaijin" or "To hell with those Japanese rice wagons".

blakep267

I think people are actually getting tired of Forza. Jeff Gerstmann was talking on it recently and made me think a 4 year cycle might be the smarter bet. Pouring resources and money into a franchise year in year will give short term success, but is likely to yield less than different studios with different IPs in the long run.

Obviously I know assets are refused etc. Just my gut feeling.
I like Jeff. He's just tired of racing games in general and wants more burnout and trackmania. Forza Horizon has sold more and more copies each release and Motorsport seems to be steady for the most part this gen and no real big declines

BearPawB

Banned
My problem with the car list is there are so many variations of the same car.

So many damn mustangs!
Like if you are going to only have 170ish cars I was hoping they would at least be more overtly distinct.

Unknown?

They’re sites that compile reviews and there are way more out there than what they have up now from sites that aren’t amateur blogs.

Also I hate how different games have different review sites included but excluded in others. Not to mention they should just compile all reviews. Don’t tell me who is credible or not, we all can determine that ourselves and don’t need aggregate sites doing that for us.

sn00zer

Im always curious if Sony debates the time it makes these games when 3 or 4 Forzas have come out in the same time and even when it is released the reviews are hovering just under the competitors.

SkylineRKR

Not going to buy this. It feels great, very polished. But with Shadow of War, TEW2 and Wolf on the backlog this game has to wait when its on sale.

The car list is kind of shocking tbh. GT5 had more Premium Ferrari's.

Im always curious if Sony debates the time it makes these games when 3 or 4 Forzas have come out in the same time and even when it is released the reviews are hovering just under the competitors.

As long as 1 GT game sells better than 2 or 3 Forza games, Sony won't care. It's if GT sales start slipping game after game they would probably look to take some kind of action then.

So many damn mustangs!
Like if you are going to only have 170ish cars I was hoping they would at least be more overtly distinct.

They all handle completely differently so gameplay wise they are totally different.

-

Still think its strange how so many people are moaning about a lack of single player content when you can do everything in single player that you could in the prior games besides championships and has added more than it has taken away. The only difference is that it's presented differently and not spoon fed to you.

How the single player content presented is much better as you aren't forced to play against AI you can beat by the third corner and lap by the third lap on the hardest difficulty just to get to some decent cars so you can actually play the game at decent speeds. Nor are you forced to do the same damn events just to progress allowing you to get right into the meat of the game. You can indulge in the car collecting just like the other games but with more robust features, choosing any route you like to acquire them and then with areas devoted to making them look how you like with livery system and take pics all day long in scapes. Want to win cars and do challenges, well all that is there for you as well.

I'm sure that what is IN the game is of high quality. It's just that the amount of content isn't nowhere near enough to be referred as a main GT game.
At some point they had to hit the reset button and leave some cars in the past. Especially the standard ones

They will rebuild the library slowly over time

cakely

Gran Turismo 6 has sold 5M copies which is more than FM5 and FM6 combined.

And that was Polyphony's "failure" game.

better an incremental update than a stunted single player campaign

The argument can be made that:
1. GT1-6 already had the classic campaigns you're looking for. Why continue offering the same thing?
2. There are other racing games on the market that offer the type of campaign in question. If the need for the classic rags-to-riches campaign is satisfied by the competition, why should PD invest more money into that?
3. How do you get the genre to move forward? It seems like PD and Sony don't want GT become the next Madden/FIFA/NBA with just roster changes and incremental improvements. Offering the same product as before means people will continue to ignore the advances and innovations they are bringing to their game, particularly with respect to community, online, and overall racing.

So many damn mustangs!

Yes. Many repeat cars with slightly different specs (which used to just be upgrading a car). It makes the car count a bit inflated. However, I'm more bothered with the lack of open wheelers. But I still think PD did the right thing and started from the ground up. Abandoning the poor assets from GT5/GT6 was the right move. It would be nice if they had a bit more given how much time they have been working on it, but I applaud them for having a high standard for all the content. I'd rather have high quality, low quantity than the other way around.

1. GT1-6 already had the classic campaigns you're looking for. Why continue offering the same thing?
2. There are other racing games on the market that offer the type of campaign in question. If the need for the classic rags-to-riches campaign is satisfied by the competition, why should PD invest more money into that?
3. How do you get the genre to move forward? It seems like PD and Sony don't want GT become the next Madden/FIFA/NBA with just roster changes and incremental improvements. Offering the same product as before means people will continue to ignore the advances and innovations they are bringing to their game, particularly with respect to community, online, and overall racing.

1. Some people like to play offline campaign. Why not offer it? Pretty much all racing games have it.
2. If PD wants to compete in that space they should include it. If not, then that's fine as well.
3. I really like the concept that PD is taking with GT Sport. A change of pace was needed for the franchise (GT5/6 were low points). I'm curious as to how it turns out. Sadly, I won't be playing much as I can't justify a PS4 purchase for this one game I want :(

MaDKaT

1: Just no. 4 years and a new generation of hardware brings advancements in just about everything to improve on the old. Better simulation, better track scans, new cars, better AI, sound, plenty to make the series feel fresh.

2: There is not. Forza seems close but once you start playing, it really pales in comparison. So much so that I think I'm already done with it. GT literally invented that style of automotive campaign and few have ever approached it.

3: I think you got this backwards, now we will just be spoon fed incremental updates as DLC with little major advancements more in line with annual games. The development cycle for GT has never been close to yearly. Each new game brought new things. A crafted campaign would not hurt any of Sports new features.

MaDKaT

They all handle completely differently so gameplay wise they are totally different.

-

Still think its strange how so many people are moaning about a lack of single player content when you can do everything in single player that you could in the prior games besides championships and has added more than it has taken away. The only difference is that it's presented differently and not spoon fed to you.

How the single player content presented is much better as you aren't forced to play against AI you can beat by the third corner and lap by the third lap on the hardest difficulty just to get to some decent cars so you can actually play the game at decent speeds. Nor are you forced to do the same damn events just to progress allowing you to get right into the meat of the game. You can indulge in the car collecting just like the other games but with more robust features, choosing any route you like to acquire them and then with areas devoted to making them look how you like with livery system and take pics all day long in scapes. Want to win cars and do challenges, well all that is there for you as well.

The campaign was a defining element of the GT series. Fans wanted it fixed not scraped. Not that hard to understand.

Top Bottom